DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  7:53:22 PM  Show Profile

I was just wondering if there were any quilters out there. I do lots of different stitching but quilting is by far my favorite.
I'd love to see your projects and share mine.
So if you're a quilter have a seat and visit a spell!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Autumn,
What a lovely quilt.
I am not anywheres in your league, but I do appreciate the
artistry of the seasoned quilters such as yourself.
Keep on stitchin'

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  8:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
If you notice this is a distant view!! I am not good at detail but I decided I was going to do an applique quilt and this one was easy-really.
I determined to allow myself to take a year to do this one. I started in January.
I have a bit of quilting left to do.
I'd love to see your work too!!
Autumn

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile
oh autumn..you need to see sheryl lyns work the 2 of you will get along great! Good looking quilt, too!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi quilting gals! I just started re-learning quilting in class. Did Dresden Plate last week and now starting on Double Irish Chain ...it will be done in 3 weeks, all machine...and will be about twin bed size.
I am making it main color pink/burgandy, 2nd color is blues paisley and then the 3rd is solid faded denim color...I still don't have pics of anything...but had to post here that I am happy to have this new topic!

"What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding, every second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath."
-- Thomas Crum

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  8:47:31 PM  Show Profile
I am working on a quilt for my sister and brother-in-law. It is my first quilt, other than a couple simple baby ones. I am sort of teaching myself as I go. Autumn, I love your quilt! I haven't had the guts to do any applique yet.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  05:28:49 AM  Show Profile
So glad this is a topic of interest!

Linda-I never did get around to going to a real class. I probably would have learned much faster. I am completely self taught by books mags and plenty of mistakes!!!
Maybe I need to post some pics of those here too!!

PlumCreek Mama- I felt the same way about doing applique but truly this was a good starter applique. Freezer paper backing and hand applique. I just cant machine applique or quilt.

Hey Jessica!! Thanks & Good to see ya here! Tell the "apron gang" I said Hi!
Blessings!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Autumn, that is a beautiful quilt and I have yet to make a quilt that does not have some sort of mistake. Hum let me see, I have Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas quilts that I am working on not to mention a block of the month club. Then there is all the fabric that someday will turn into something! Here is a picture of my very first quilt. It still has not been quilted!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to have more time to quilt (and knit and spin and weave and read, etc., etc.). I have to fight to get time, and when I do, I typically knit or spin. Those of you who've received sewn things from me here know that my sewing skills are not so hot. Absolute precision is not one of my strong points. But, I persevere!

I just signed up for a quilting class that meets the next two Tuesday evenings--we'll be doing a basic, flying geese table runner. It's been sooooooo long since I've taken a sewing or quilting class (probably close to 20 years--I didn't even know what a quarter inch foot or a walking foot was when I signed up for the class--they didn't have those "way back when"!) so, I feel that I need some lessons on how to do some things better.

Then, in October I'm going to take a class in machine quilting. I understand you can do that on a regular sewing machine if you break it down into small parts, so I'd like to learn. I have several quilt tops that I made that are just in a box because I haven't ever had the time or felt that I had the ability to quilt them nicely. I got a big quilting frame from my MIL, so I'm going to put one on there to hand quilt, but maybe I'll machine quilt the others.

Wish me luck, and maybe someday I'll have some pictures to post here too!

Kathy

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  1:15:40 PM  Show Profile

These are pictures of some of the quilts I have finished. I have many more UFOs and WIP. A long list in fact. My problem is I hate to baste the quilt sandwich together. My favorite thing is to put on the binding......it means I am done!!! I have lots of orphan blocks to do something with also. I am mostly self taught although I did take a class way back when to learn the basics.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

Edited by - quilt8305 on Sep 16 2007 1:33:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Question:

What type of quilting needle do you recommend for the sewing machine. I have my first quilt all ready to be sewn, I just want to buy a good quality needle first. Thanks1

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile
I am working on my first full size quilt now. I found at an estate sale 8 12x12 chicken scratch embroidered squares. I found a beautiful cream and lavender sprigs fabric, a moda marble and another gorgeous deep purple color... here are pictures of the center squares which I laid out in a 4 x 2 pattern with the lavender squares and dark purple dividing. Then I will have the lavender and print as borders and the dark solid as the binding... we will see how it turns out!

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  2:21:31 PM  Show Profile
sorry, thought I had resized the second one, too :(
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  2:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tammy-
I don't know the first thing about machine quilting- I do all mine by hand. I hope someone else has the answer.
The only thing I can really do fairly well by machine is piece work.
The machine & I have an understanding- it is that I just don't understand it!!!
I get so bogged down with the -winding bobbin,changing needles, changing feet,adjusting the tension and on and on that I have not persevered as I ought .
Maybe that's the next step for me.....
Mary your quilts are soo pretty.
I'll try to find some other pics as well.
Blessings!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  2:45:14 PM  Show Profile

This is from several years ago-for my grandbaby. I am not very good with color-as you can see.I try to follow patterns that use colors I like so I don't have to choose for myself. It is too expensive to make those mistakes!

This was for a friend- just because. I did a lot of embroidery on the stripping and borders- that is my other love embroidery!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  2:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow! what beautiful quilts! I am sooo glad that we started this topic!

"What would it be like if you lived each day, each breath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding, every second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath."
-- Thomas Crum

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  3:03:39 PM  Show Profile
The quilts are just beautiful! This is going to be fun! Tammy, I use the same needle and change the foot to a darning foot and drop the feed dogs. I am not good at the quilting part at all. I am taking a class in Oct to hopefully become better!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  4:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Thanks Cheryl. I'll try that. I broke 2 needles in 10 minutes on my quilt. I'm not using heavy material either. I'll change the foot on mine. I'm new at the sewing machine thing so I'll have to find out what feed dogs are! lol.

Edited by - Tammy Claxton on Sep 16 2007 4:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  5:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, I think you do a fine job with color! Babies love to look at a variety of bright colors, so I think you did a great job!
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  5:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, The feed dogs are what feed the fabric through the sewing machine you should have a knob that will lower them so you can move your fabric freely. I hope this makes sense.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  5:43:00 PM  Show Profile
I love this thread, I love quilting and havne't done much in the last year with being ill, but I can still oggle and go, oh yes that one.
I have 16 quilt tops that I need to sandwich and quilt. I took a machine quilting class and loved it and then had the sewing machine that I learned on taken......Can't figure out my one I have now. Need to go take a class again.
I started quilting about 6 years ago, and love it. My dh's parents both quilted, she did the machine pieceing and he did the hand quilting and was excellent.
Will try takin some pictures later.
Tammy if you have an oppurtunity to take a machine quilting class I would really encouage yu to do it.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Thanks Cheryl. I looked it up and found out. I never knew that they were called that! I think I might check around and see if there are any classes in my area. I loved sewing my top piece together (it's green blue and red squares arranged ion a pattern), but putting it together has been hard. I'm going to try lowering the feed dogs and try again! Wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  6:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous quilts!! I love to quilt too and rarely finish them beyond making the top. That is my favorite part and I can piece all day and night without being bored. I also hate to baste and make the whole sandwich thing prior to quilting it. Thanks for sharing your work. It's lovely!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a hard time deciding which part I love the most- the idea for a quilt,picking the fabric out, cutting & piecing and believe it or not I even enjoy basting! Sick,huh?
Then getting it on the frame and starting ..ooooh I love hand quilting. Everyone says I do good work but when I look at vintage pieces there is no comparison.
I can't machine quilt because I miss handwork so badly- and my kids just howl!!
Isn't that funny?
They are all such "pure-ists" when it comes to quilting.
Here's a picture of the one I am working on now.It is a pattern that was supposed to be machine appliqued and quilted-I just couldn't do it that way- my skills were so horrible!! I admire you girls who can operate the machine AND a quilt at the same time!!

I use a small stand type frame that my hubby bought me a couple of yrs ago. It folds up and fits neatly behind a door when need be-and is easy to set up quickly.
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it.

CAROL SUE!!16 tops is too much work NOT to quilt!!!Girl you are something!!!
Sheryl-lyn So what do you do with the tops?
Do you girls have them quilted somewhere? My local quilt shop has them done on a machine for about $75-$100 .
Which adds up to big bucks if you have 16 tops.
Blessings!
Autumn

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Sep 16 2007 7:52:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  8:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, your hand quilting is amazing!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  9:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, I am with you. I really like the quilt your working on. I also do all my quilts by hand, from the piecing to the quilting. I can piece by machine when I make quilts for younger people because the seems are then stronger, but my deep pleasure is to hand quilt.
IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/corinnevb/triparoundtheworldquilts003.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the largest I ever made, it is made out fabrics like my GrandMother engagement day shirt (she married in 1912), the fabric my Mom used to make my cot... it is 6'3
Then the second pic, is the one I am close to have finished now.
IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/corinnevb/Patrioticquilt.jpg[/IMG]
I just like to see what everybody is making.
Corinne

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Sep 16 2007 9:57:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt n stitch Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page