Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 does anyone collect buttons?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic does anyone collect buttons? Next Topic
Page: of 4

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I so agree with Clare's post regarding the history of the buttons. I just picked up a great big jar at a garage sale a week ago and the kids and I had more fun sorting through the jar and finding non-button treasures and talking about the unusual ones and what they must have went to and how old it was or what kind of person wore them.
I never pass up a jar or tin of buttons and use them in projects all the time including altered canvas art and other vintage looking collage art.

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I got my list and my buttons are going out today. I hope more farm girls will join in soon! I have more to share....

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  3:59:57 PM  Show Profile
hey lucinda-

got my first package for our button exchange today. THANKS! love the green glass one; love all of them-you were generous.

found a clear glass container that they're going in right here by my desk.

you're the best.
talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen!

So glad you like your buttons. I tried to pick a variety. I have a surprise planned for the next round...

Now, I need to get around to my mail art.

Phew!
Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I'm new to this site/forum stuff, as I have just signed up and I honestly couldn't decide where I wanted to type first - there's so much here that I'm interested in! I love old buttons and just today returned from vacation, where I bought a jar full at a flea market. I also have a "not so old" collection of my own. My Mom and Grandmother were both sewers, as am I, when I can, so I love the textiles and have just this past year gotten interested in quilting also. So, I've been buying up fabric like it's going out of style, and am trying to decide what to start with! Is there a place on this forum where we are "sorted" so to speak by location? I'm in St. Louis, Missouri, and don't know of a Farmgirl Chapter here, but don't really know how I would find out.

Deb
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
hey deb-

i'm from missouri too but way down in the sw corner-so we're pretty far apart.

i asked about chapters in mo but haven't gotten any responses yet. i know we're not the only 2 "show-me's" on the board.

don't you love buttons? if you're interested in being part of the exchange, just e-mail me your info and you'll be included.

great to have someone else in the state.

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Got wonderful buttons from Lucinda and Karen today..thanks so much gals! My son was watching me open mail and was so excited to see the buttons for some reason. He says he wants to help pick out which ones I send out..I was surprized he was interested!!
We will be sending some out in the next couple days..I love this!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  6:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen! I just recieved my buttons today. Just sent to you all on the list too! Better late than never, right?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:58:39 PM  Show Profile
I got buttons too -- I was so excited!!! Thanks so much!! I've got ones picked out for all of you and will get them sent off this week.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  04:23:44 AM  Show Profile
i'm so glad you guys liked them! i have more picked out and we've added a new person to the list-did we decide how often we were going to do this?

can i say it again-I LOVE THIS!! i love buttons, i love mail and i love new friends!

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  7:53:36 PM  Show Profile
I have received some LOVELY buttons this week and will be thanking each of you personally but I wanted to say it here too.

I have placed them all in a vintage coffe jar (during WWII coffee came in clear glass jars because all the metal was needed for the war effort) from the 40's to that I can look at them whenever I need to rest my eyes from sewing.

Thanks again
Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Love the ones I got from Sharon in the mail yesterday too..and it was so sweet that you included a buton for each of my two daughters to start their own collections..they were thrilled and already picked a jar to keep theirs in. I sent more out today..finally got stamps!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, you and the girls are welcome.Glad they liked them!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:27:23 PM  Show Profile
yours went out today Sharon...sorry I am behind!!

Jenny in Utah
[green]The best things in life arn't things[green]
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  4:43:30 PM  Show Profile
What's that saying about the hurrier I go, the behinder I get? That's my life right now...don't give it a second thought, but I will be looking for it in the mail!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile
good morning fellow button gluttons!

just a housekeeping note-make sure you write "hand cancel" on your envelopes when sending buttons or ask your postal person to do so-when they put buttons through the sorting machine, it tends to crunch them. i got a wonderful note with an antique button in many pieces this week-so sad!

we're adding new people just about every day. will send a new list later today.

talk to you all soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile
dear button friends and gluttons-

new members added today-so you should all get new lists tonight.

we are having a lot of fun with this list-if anyone out there wants to come join us, just send me your info and you'll be added in the next day or 2. come on-you know you love buttons!!!

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  06:35:32 AM  Show Profile
finally got to sit down with my mail last pm-we've been gone to the MO state fair (mountains of laundry)-and found i had 2 letters from my button sisters and 2 pieces of mail art.

thank you, thank you for the wonderful buttons from Jenny and Sharon.
have put them in a small glass bowl just for buttons from my new friends.

and thank you for the lovely mail art from Sharon and Susan-love the soap Susan and love the illustrations Sharon!

this is so much fun!

talk to you soon.
karen
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile
I bought a twelve pack of "bubblopes" today.

You know what that means.....

LEAVE YOUR MAILBOXES OPEN LADIES

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:48:02 AM  Show Profile
the button gluttons have gone intergenerational!!

i'm pleased as punch to announce our first 3 members who are quite a bit younger than the rest of us.

Gracie Madsen
Summer Pipes
Erin Pipes

Three big cheers for the next generation that loves quilts and buttons and farm life!! welcome, welcome!!

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  12:00:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi
Would like to get in on the button exchange. I also have many buttons. My mother had a button basket and I loved going through it. Besides having buttons there were Cracker Jack toys ( when they were neat toys ) in the cracker Jacks and pretty rocks and marbles and other unusal items. And guess what , I got the basket when my mom past away.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:08:39 PM  Show Profile
I have my buttons all organized in glass jars. A jar for each color. They look very neat all lined up on glass shelving in my studio. No matter how many I have I still buy more when I find them at yard sales.
I went to a meeting on antique buttons a year or so ago. The one thing I learned was that if you have metal buttons and they have any rust it will spread to the rest of the buttons stored in the same container. They need to be cleaned with semichrome. My Dh says you can get it at the car parts store. I keep forgetting to go by there and get some, so I have yet to clean my buttons. Silly me.
They had a long btton string there that was very old. It was fun to look at and I hope to put one together some day, although not for the same reason that one was made. It was a marriage string. Back in the old days people would give a young woman a button for many occasions and she would string them...I think the 100th one was to be from her future husband..if I remember right. Then they could get married...or so the story goes. Sounds like a fun tradition to me.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  2:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Awesome link !! You have to check this out

http://www.keephomesteadmuseum.org/button_archive.htm
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile
i love buttions. i go to ebay sometimes bit pricy at times. randi
Go to Top of Page

phillytoo
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Phyllis
Canton MI
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I too have boxes, tins, and canning jars full of buttons. I got most of them from my mother and my husband's grandmother.
I'm always glad I have an assortment to choose from when I make the "refrigerator towels" with the crocheted tops. I've given several of these towels away as gifts to a lot of my friends and relatives. They always seem to be a welcomed gift.

Phyllis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic does anyone collect buttons? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page