Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any sock patterns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any sock patterns? Next Topic  

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  06:07:57 AM  Show Profile
I am currently in a knitting circle doing my first sock. I have to say, it has been an uphill battle. I have ripped it out and started again twice. I really don't mind this, I think I understand the pattern now, but I would like a pattern that would accomodate a larger needle for the future. I am currently using #3 needles, and would love a thicker sock that goes faster as well. Does anyone have a sock pattern that is easy to change the gauge on or is just for a bigger needle?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile
I am trying a pattern right now that I have had around forever and I am loving it. It uses worsted weight yarn (I am using Encore..75% acrylic and 25% wool in a pretty blue and black flecked...sort of..color) and size 5 double point needles. I am used to using sock yarn and size 1 or 2 needles so this seems quick and thick. The pattern is cottage creations "Iowa Crew Cruise socks" and comes in a little booklet that has amazing illustrations and great directions..you couldn't screw up if you tried. I had been wanting to try a different sort of gusset at the heel and this one had what I was looking for..the first sock is turning out nice. I think they will be for my husband. This pattern should be available at any needlwork shop. Maybe they have a website..I will have to check. I love all their little pattern books. It is a mom and daughter business from Iowa Cottage Creations. I hope that helps..good luck with your socks!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  07:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny, I will go to the store to look for the booklet. I think you are right about the tiny needle thing. It is tedious, and hard on the eyes the later it gets. I am behind in our sock group because I have ripped out the same sock about four times. I have to catch up by this Thursday. I really appreciate the tip. Thanks again, and hope your socks come out great.
Go to Top of Page

jpoutasse
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jackie
Virginia Beach Virginia
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile
This is the pattern that I used several years ago to make my first pair of socks: http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/joanssocks.txt
It uses a large needle and goes fairly fast.
It has since been picked up by the Lion Brand Yarn Co. and is posted on thier site as a pdf file: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-joansSocks.html

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Here's a link to a formula for socks. Just enter your gauge, needle size, and measurement of the foot, and it will crank out a pattern for you. http://www.princeton.edu/~ezb/sockform.html
Here is the first sock pattern I ever used: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/socks/joannesboredwithkilthosesocks.htm I really loved how they turned out, and I made several more after my initial success. A book that I love and refer to all the time (and not just for socks) is called _The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook_.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  4:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Annie and Jackie, thank you both for the websites. I have yet again ripped out my original sock. Both of these sites look great and I hope they will help me. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  6:51:02 PM  Show Profile
OOOH socks! One of my favorite things to knit. Most of my favorite patterns are off the internet.
The best pattern I used to make socks for the men in my life is the Ladder of Life pattern available free at <www.interweave.com> go to knitting, projects and articles, then socks and it will be there. A great pattern on larger needles with worsted weight yarn. Good luck!

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link. I used to subscribe (ran out of $$, drat!) and I always forget to check online for projects. Those Ladder of Life socks look wonderful. I think I'll make them for my hubby when I get a chance (after I finish his sweater, and something for the wee ones).

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  11:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Most of the sock patterns I have are off the internet. Also try Knitty.com and Knitlist.com for other free patterns. There are probably other links at Socknitters.com.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any sock patterns? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page