Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  9:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Do you ever drive past farms that are in complete and total disrepair, yet people are still living there? How does it make you feel? Does it make you feel like they are "bringing down" the standard or reputations of other farmers and ranchers? Does it make you sad? Do you understand? Does it make your organizational desires kick into full gear?

The reason I ask is that there is a trailer house about 90 minutes away from my home town. It is right on the interstate. They have all sorts of trash in their front yard area, 2 burned out trailer homes and they advertise a "permanent" yard sale. It is a very sad and forlorn looking place. Each time we drive past it we imagine that the people that live there must be in some sort of desperate situation to not care about their property like that. Their yard sale consists of old rusting junker cars, chairs with ripped upholstery and stuffing blowing out. They also advertise "farm fresh eggs" but if they don't take care of their property, would you "yard sale" there or buy eggs there?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  12:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I hear what your saying. I guess for me, it makes me feel sad. I heard someone say once that often times outside clutter can relect a cluttered mind or spirit.. if that has any truth, how sad to live in that...............On the flip side, we had a similar thing with neighbors, and one day out of curiosity I asked around .. just to find out that they were both elderly with no family around. My husband, boys, myself and a few friends dedicated one weekend tidied up thier place, and have been keeping it maintained since.......and have made some great friends in the process....Marie the wife passed a way a few weeks ago and Chuck (the elderly man) became part of my reason for leaving my full time job to be home more......Sometimes (not always) I think God takes a highlighter to things to grab our attention for a special reason, I could not image never having gotten to know this couple..... Chuck is the most difficult man I know....but we have really come to love him...........as we did Marie.....

Rene'~Farm Girl
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure......"
Go to Top of Page

ColdAntler
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Jenna
Sandgate VT
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ColdAntler an AOL message  Click to see ColdAntler's MSN Messenger address
Rene that is beautiful, really. And Alyssa, I can understand your concern too. The farm I rent here in Sandpoint used to belong to an elderly woman who passed away 2 ears ago. Her son's are fighting over whats to be done with the house so her stuff still is all over the place. A truck from the 40's, old tractors and an old model T in the grass, watering cans with holes in them, even (and I am not lying) a kitchen sink in a driveway. Being artsy and all, i like it. But man, from the highway i vet people think its a stephen king filming location. But I'm not allowed to mover her stuff around. So there are all kinds of reasons why places get how they get. If you feel comfortable, just leave them a note in their mailbox about helping out. I doubt they'd turn you down!

http://itsafarwalk.blogspot.com/

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Not all people want their farms cleaned up. My uncle lives on my grandpa's farm (my grandpa lives in town) and he has totally trashed the place. He's 48 and very lazy. He has junk cars all over the place that he bought to fix up and never did. Whenever farm equipment breaks down, he just leaves it where it broke and gets another one. Mom and I want to clean up the farm before grandpa dies so that there is no fighting over whose stuff is whose. My uncle has trashed the house so badly that it will have to be torn down. He never fixes anything, it's a total disgrace. He is definitely able-bodied enough and has a 17 year old son who could help. There are a lot of farms around here that are like that. My hubby and I take drives out in the country and always remark on places that look like they are starting their own dump. Equally as upsetting are all the farms that no longer have houses. The outbuilding are being used for equipment or cattle and hog confinement, but no one lives there. I think that is sad. I wonder what our ancestors would think of the way farming is now done.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  7:36:33 PM  Show Profile
In all honesty, I used to be really judgemental. I'm not saying anyone that this bothers is being judgemental, but I know what *my* thoughts were, and I really had a problem with that. I've come a long way, though, and I try to be less "critical" and more compassionate toward people who live like this. I live in a very poor county now and this type of situation is very common, and I feel bad for people who live like this. I know for some it's what they choose, but I still feel bad for them.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know that life gets away from people, and with illness and disabilty, depression, or just sheer poverty, taking care of a property can become overwhelming to some. I don't think they are "bad" people or anything like that, it just makes me sad to see the physical presentation of human suffering.

I don't know that family's story, but my dad might. Right now they live about 700 miles away from me or I would see if there is something I could do.

Another reason I ask is because some of the buildings at the old dairy near my place are falling into disrepair. The University owns the land, and the uncle of my friends owns the building. He isn't fixing anything since they are no longer running the diary and the University owns the land. This last winter the roof to a truck port fell down on top of a old haying truck. Both roof and truck are still there. It just makes me sad to see things of the past deteriorating due to lack of care. Especially when I know that with the right owners, things like that could be preserved.

I do understand the building owner's point of view. Why put more money into buildings that are unmovable and on land they don't own. Quite a Quandry.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  08:45:09 AM  Show Profile
You just never know. Sounds like you're describing my farm :). We bought it in sad shape and are cleaning and fixing as time and money allow. We don't live there, and I do like my 3 rusty antique cars, though someone has taken it upon him/herself to go in and strip parts off them this summer. Yet, our spot is out of sight of the road, and we have done more to clean than to clutter.

It's hard to say. I know my DH's family kept a lot of old farming equipment around, and with a shop, old stuff was repurposed as needed to repair equipment in operation. It takes a large inventory to recycle sometimes, because you just never know what will break next.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
*It takes a large inventory to recycle sometimes, because you just never know what will break next.*

That's exactly why we have 5 cars lined up in our city driveway! There are usually only one or two operational at any given time. Fortunately, the neighbors are understanding and haven't called the city on us yet. We aren't selling drugs (or worse), and I think they realize they could do much worse than neighbors who can't do car payments.

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile
My BIL's house is like this. Just...I am at a loss of polite but accurate words. Terrible i guess would do it. Him and his wife have had a time of it on drugs, and their 4 kids have been raised to do nothing if they don't have to. So even the 18 year old boy won't cut the grass. There are several junked cars, and lawnmowers left sitting in the yard. Weeds 5 feet high grow out from under the porch, and most of the yard is just dirt. I cant even get into what the inside of the house is like. SIL's back is broke from a fight with her husband while he was high, so she can't do anything. BIL is just a loser. Wont hold a job, borrows money from my poor husband and then NEVER pays it back. Their house is still in my MIL's name because their credit is ruined. Josh's parents have given them some 18 cars in the last 20 years. BIL is 38 and SIL is 35.
The saddest thing about places like theirs is the kids. And it's a shame that they don't know any better, and I worry that one day when they get out on their own they won't have a clue about taking care of things.
On the other hand, there are a lot of farms around here like dairy farms and especially tobacco farms that are no longer in working order. And I think about the first family that built those houses and how proud they must have been. And how happy a husband was to come home from working the land and see his beautiful children playing on the porch. What would that man do now if he could see what modernization had done to his home? Probably cry.
It amazes me( and I hope this doesn't offend anyone) how utterly lazy a lot of people have gotten. It seems like all the girls on here are able and willing and have a really good idea of what needs to be done, and every effort counts, but some just make zero effort, and it really shows. Maybe it's just me, but I could do farm work from sun up til sun down, and hard work too, not just gardening and tending to the horses, but fencing, making repairs, and everything. Just as if there were nothing in the world as important as my little corner of the earth.
Go to Top of Page

rain4nights
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bess
Cleveland OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

*It takes a large inventory to recycle sometimes, because you just never know what will break next.*

You know my DH can't wait to have a pile of junk cars in the yard? That is part of his idea of a dream farm. I told him I don't mind as long as we can keep them *behind* the barn and out of sight. For that matter we are hoping to have a barn or garage that we can fill with useful parts and furniture bits and junk that we can recycle/refurbish.

There are a lot of buildings in disrepair in the city too. It's heartbreaking to see warehouses and factories and businesses as well as homes that have great architectural details that are in absolute disrepair and ready to be torn down. While big ugly modern concrete buildings spring up everywhere. Why don't businesses want to restore and reinvest?
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of restoring and reinvesting, I got involved last spring with a local group fighting the planned demolition of an early 1800s inn. It was one of the oldest buildings in that town and sat right at the main intersection. The owner had been neglecting the building for years because his plan all along was to sell the land to a developer and retire on the profits. Well, a couple of locals got together and sued the town on the grounds that they had ignored the historic significance of the building when they approved the plan. And they won! The building is going to be renovated by a private developer and used as professional offices.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  08:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Amie, yay for saving the building. Too bad on the guy's retirement plans. Hope it turned out a win-win situation. It cheers me to hear when neat old buildings get a new "lease" on life. (sorry, he he)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  10:57:35 PM  Show Profile
I have seen several old farm houses out here that are just "melting" away/falling down from years of neglect...how sad.
I often wonder what the "house's" story is. did the owners pass away & no one inherited the house? Did the owners move away, leaving the house to fade away or did the owners default on the loan and the banks just let it sit & decay 'cause it 's not worth their bothering with?
To bad these old forgotten homes can't be brought back to life and give a loving family a home & memories.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  08:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, don't worry about the owner's money. He got paid, and the buyer will build their new drug store right behind the old building. They only had to give up a little visibility and a couple of parking spots. Everybody's happy (or if they aren't they are just too fussy!)
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  08:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Although our ranch doesn't look anything like some of the more dramatic descriptions in this thread, we do have outbuildings in disrepair, machinery that doesn't work, fences that need fixing, and a few junk piles here and there. It's come to the point that bf and I are the only two left living here, with many acres to care for and many years of other people's messes to clean up. We've been tackling one project at a time and sometimes I wonder if we're making any progress at all. Somehow, I don't even know how to be honest, we've had these two giant piles of old tires for as long as I can remember. Not only an eyesore, but an environmental hazard as well. When I decided I'd be the one to finally get rid of them for good, I got a rude awakening about how extremely expensive they are to dispose of. Keep in mind that they aren't even car tires, they're truck tires and tractor tires, which cost even more. It's been two summers and now they're almost completely gone. The roof on the big house needed replacing. Old cedar shingles, all mossy and rotting. Do you know how many thousands of dollars it costs to reroof a house and how long I had to save to be able to afford it? A fence was falling down, a 1,000 feet stretch. Do you know how long it took just the two of us to rebuild it ourselves, digging each posthole by hand, stretching the wire, attaching the clips? Do you know how many more thousands of feet of fence we have that could also use some attention? It comes down to the labor, the know how, the time, and the money, or just the money if you happen to be rich and can hire someone else to do everything for you. We've been chipping away at things bit by bit, truckload by truckload, flea market by flea market, and it seems to be taking forever with no end in sight. One one hand, tourists stop regularly to photograph our picturesque windmill and barn and our well kept farm house with a beautiful yard and garden, on the other hand, neighbors have written letters to the editor complaining about the things we haven't gotten to yet. I just ignore them (as best I can) and keep doing what I'm doing, on weekends and in between working full-time that is. Someday I dream that it will all be done and I can be proud of what we've accomplished. It will be my contribution to the history of this place. And all those people who wanted to judge and criticize us but never offered to help, can finally be satisfied and be quiet.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  08:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

That is so hard that people are writting to the editor about your place! It doesn't seem fair that you are having to pay to clean up everybody else's mess! It sounds like you are doing an amazing job, though! It is obvious that you are working on the property, not just letting it go.

This generation has a disadvantage on large pieces of property, I think. Previous far gewnerations were more likely to have larger families and so more hands to help with the work. I know if you keep plugging away at it you will be done in no time.

also if you have a lot of scrap metal or old machines that you will never use, cantact some of the salvage companies in your area (some times construction companies are also salvage) and sometimes they will come out and get the stuff for you and pay for it!!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  11:46:39 AM  Show Profile
My hat is off to you Sarah! At least you know the rewards of how far you have come. I'm sorry others don't recognize it. Smile big in the photos they take of your accomplishments. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Blue,
I know what you mean about the cost of disposing "enviromentaly hazardes" TIRES!!!!!
In the process of moving, we rented one of those drop off dumpsters, the waste managment company read me a list of what I could not put in it, yep, tires!!!
So,,,that being said we had to take them to a tire shop & payed $5 pr tire, thank goodness we only had 4, for them to take & dispose of them.
Now,,,,if it weren't for the fact that we were moving outta state I would have kept the 4 tires,,,, why you ask???, because I would have used them as "object d'art" in my yard. My best friend's son took a tire & 1/2 way up he cut out the sides creating a "handle", the tire looked like a black basket, & my friend filled it w/soil & potted flowers in it. Then the following year she had her son make another one and she decorative painted the outside using left over housepaint.
So, Sarah, don't get discouraged, get creative!
Stack several tires, fill w/concrete & attache a pole w/your mail box,or bird feeder or ???,,,,ya know, I am thinking I may have to cruise the neighboring ranches & beg for tires,,,,just don't tell my hubby!!!
LOL!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 13 2007 1:56:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile
You are too funny katmom.....nope won't tell your hubby but you have to explain why you have that pile of tires to him.....

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,
Good job girlfriend and for not giving up with all the work you need to get done.
When I see old places in ruin, I wonder what the story is, what happened, how did it get from then to now. That and I wish I had money. 5 miles from us, 2 years ago, they demolished a small house and an old barn. Wouldn't let us touch the barn but let us take the fir flooring out of the bedroom upstairs. I couldn't watch them take it down. Lots of people don't want to deal with old, want newer, me give me the old stuff, built better a lot of times and classic. My little mobile, has cupboards from and old house that we made into our small entertainment center. An old door holds my rulers and triangles for my quilting, eventually the fir flooring will go in and the old cupboards for the kitchen. I love it cause it is our stamp on this place.
I wish before they decided to demolish they would let people more often go in and salvage...some do and some don't.
We are all learning to do what we can, maybe that is part of the answer....
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  3:43:02 PM  Show Profile
My first husband and I bought 52 acres of land in 1998 to be used as our retirement place. I couldn't believe how much junk had accumulated and just been left on the land. It ( the land ) was 3 hours away from where we lived and that first summer we spent every weekend hauling stuff to the dump. There had been an old burned out house on the property that the previous owners just walked away from, an old windmill that had blown down in a storm, and all kinds of rusty old farm machinery. First we contacted the surrounding neighbors and then the local amish community and allowed them to come on the property and take anything they thought they could use or refurbish. When they were finished picking thru everything they helped us haul 6,000 pounds of metal to the recycle dump and about 3,000 pounds of other junk to the regular dump. The work was so hard but the compliments we got and the friends we made from the surrounding neighbors was worth it.

My husband passed away in 2000 and I remarried in 2003. This past week I just gave my 4 children the title to the property. My 2 DS and 2 SIL all hunt there so this fall they are going to pool their money and build a family hunting cabin. I know they will keep the land clean because they put their muscles to work helping to clean it up and hopefully my grandkids will pick up good habits and keep it clean also.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  08:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the encouragement, girls. Shari, that's an awesome story. What a success! Sometimes I wonder if two people can really do all the things we have to do. We started out with over two hundred tires so that's a lot of planters and mail box stands. Depending on size, they cost between $2 and $10 to dispose of, plus hauling fees. Legally, you can only haul so many at a time unless you are licensed to haul hazardous materials...

We allowed a junk hauler to take scrap metal in exchange for making dump runs, we saved the more "special" junk for a local artist who makes amazing junk sculptures, we sorted the wood into usable and unusable and rented a roll off dumpster to have more stuff hauled away. We still have so far to go though. One brooder house is collapsed and another is starting to fall down and come apart too. They need to be carefully taken apart. I've had offers from people who would like to do it for the wood, but we actually would like the wood ourselves. It's tongue in groove siding that's very expensive these days. It's just a matter of time and perseverance.

The people who complain are generally people who've come here from other places, with lots of time, lots of money, and little patience. My family has lived here for 3 generations and I'm not eager to just tear down and get rid of everything someone else thinks looks old and worn out. If we had done that when our barn fell down, a beautiful piece of heritage would be gone. Instead we scrimped, saved and bartered until we could have it rebuilt with all the original siding. And with all the people who stop to take pictures, I'm sure there are images of it in all its various stages, all over the world...

It hurts knowing that we're judged by strangers who don't know anything about us or the history of the ranching families in this little community. I do my best to tune it out and keep plugging along.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

The sad fact is that everyone is always being judged by someone else. I guess it is one of the sad parts of human nature.

I think you are doing a great job! It's too bad that it costs so much to clean up those tires.

Don't worry about what other's are thinking- You know how much it means to you to clean up and take care of that property. You know that at the end of the day you have made a difference!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  1:43:54 PM  Show Profile
We bought a 3/4acre lot last year in our coastal community. It is semi-rural and had belonged to an older couple. The man had piled junk on it apparantly for years. Three abandoned cars, a dumpster, a farm truck,piles of old fencing,plywood,rebar,metal old farm implements,discarded light poles from the utility company, Stacks of pure junk the entire length of our lot(a football field length.) I did not want to buy this lot butDH convinced me to look beyond the junk because it was so close to the beaches. The lot was part of an estate and the family just wanted to get rid of it so they wouldn't have to clean it up I guess. We talked with someone about cleaning it up....Many thousands of dollars. I try to visit the thrift stores and flea markets when I get out and one day I ran into a man who ran a flea market and I told him about all the stuff we needed to clear off the lot and that if he or anyone else wanted it they could have it free. Guess what....Over the past month this man has been out there clearing all of that stuff away! He selling all the piles of metal and utility poles and what ever else he can haul away. Hopefully he will take away most of it. I am thrilled. He's happy. I'm happier. This lot is really beautiful,lots of live oaks and pine trees. I know the neighboring property owners are happy about this. You just never know.
Go to Top of Page

nmcrone
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Ruth
Grady New Mexico
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Send nmcrone an AOL message  Click to see nmcrone's MSN Messenger address  Send nmcrone a Yahoo! Message
I bought an old farm last summer. Fortunately it had not been allowed to fall into great disrepair, even though the previous occupant was an elderly woman living on her own. The daughter and grandsons had also cleaned the place thoroughly before even offering it for sale. Even so, there are sooooooo many repair jobs that need our attention, dead trees to cut down, old plumbing in the stock tanks, old wiring that needs to be replaced and yes, fence that needs fixing. I have a work force of four healthy teen and pre-teen boys to help me through it.

My question to all of you deals with painting that needs to be done on the barn and in the corrals. I would love to use an environmentally friendly paint but most of what needs painting is rusty metal. Any ideas on sources of paint for outdoor use that will satisfy my "green" desires?

Ruth
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  2:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I grew up very poor, my Mom had two jobs to raise 4 kids and we moved from one cheap rental to another. I did care, even as young as 10, about how the places we lived in looked, and while I couldn't do anything about structural issues I did plant flowers, cut down weeds and there was always tons of flowers in these old rentals. Many had rows of roses and I would pick bouquets and put in the house. I even used our push mower when I was a little older because I liked the way the yard looked and smelled when I cut the grass. My Mom would come home after her second job and knew who put the flowers in a jar and tried to clean up the house as best I could. She always said "We may be poor but we can be clean" and I always thought that meant the outside too.
I have my own place now and try really hard to make yearly improvements, mostly outside, but it is so overwhelming at times since I want to do so much and do work full time and just seem to run out of steam easier these days.
Every time I see a place like you are all describing I get sad because I can always see the potential in the places no matter how run down they are.
The only reason I own the house I am in now is because I rented it 19 years ago and set out to clean up years of garbage and tree bark and trash. After the improvements I made in two years the owner came to the house and offered to sell it to me, for the same monthly amount I was paying for rent, because he said he had never had a renter do as much work as I had done and knew I cared about the place.
Good things can come from hard work and I would work that hard again
to make the home I am in mine.
Some people look for happiness; others create it!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farms in disrepair Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page