Page: of 3

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  09:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
Your welcome Clare. I am glad that my posts are getting some attention [:), and that there is still an interest in Betty and her books.

John
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  09:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by quiltedess

There is a road I've driven past a few times called the Egg and I Road. It is not on Vashon ('cause I've never been to Vashon) but I can't remember where exactly . . . maybe I saw it on the way to Port Townsend . . . or on Whidbey Island. Doesn't anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm curious as to why that road would have been named such.
Nancy

The road that you are refering to is The Egg and I Road in Portownsand Wa. It is the original road that led To Betty and Bobs farm in Chimacum WA. After the great success of "the Egg and I," people began to visit Chimacum in search for the Egg and I farm. So the town counsil renamed the road to better tourism. Also, so I have been told by people, there was no love between the people in the area and Betty for the way that she depicted both the town and, the poeple, there was alot of uproar over naming the road after the book. The Bishop family, really had a "fit" over the name.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile
OK, now I'm ready to go track down this movie! I'm not sure if I ever saw, but I do remember watching Ma & Pa Kettle movies. So, if I'm getting this right . . . The Egg and I was the start of the Ma & Pa movies and was based on Betty's experiences living on a farm in Chimacum? Oh, I think I'm just going to have to find the book. :-)
Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  12:05:08 PM  Show Profile
You're in for a treat, with the book and movie!
John: Please tell us how you became so interested in researching Betty MacDonald?
I've watched the movie so many times throughout my life, love the book, etc. What made you take it further?
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
KLD:

I first read "The Egg and I " when I was 15, and have been a fan eversince. When I was older, I discovered that Betty wrote 3 other books (titles are mentioned in a previous post), and fell in love with them also. And then I discovered that her books are based on her real life. Then last year I really became interested in researching Betty's life and finding out who was really who in her books. next thing I knew i was really into the who, what, when, where, how and, why. I sterted out with 4 books, a sheet of paper and ended up with over 100 documents on Betty. I someday hope to put all of this together and make a small book to share with other betty fans. In the mean time, I will be happy to share with all of you.

John
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Very inspiring! I'll make it a point to find her other books...
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  2:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
KJD,
you will really like them. Try your local library, they should have them if not, they can get them through interlibrary loan. I will be posting some small articals for everyone to enjoy. I will do this this weekend. Oh, when you read "The Plauge and I" consentrate on a japanese woman named Kimi. She will have you rolling with laughter. Her real name is Monica Sones, I spoke with her on the phone, and everything she did and said was true.She is a delightful woman and so funny.

john

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 2:48:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok, now my interest is peaked. I'm going to have to look for these books. To add to my ever expanding libary!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Me too!!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I am glad that I was able to tweek your interest in Betty's books. as you read "Onions in the Stew" you will notice that the name of Betty's husband has changed from Bob to Don. Betty left Bob in 1931. her reason for doing so was because Bob had a violent temper (he served from 1918 to 1919 in WWI and suffered from shell shock). In the divorce papers Betty claimed that after the birth of their first daughter,Ann, Bob would often kick her and belittle her. At one point he attempted to set the house on fire. In 1942 Betty met and married Donald Chauncey Macdonald, and they remained married until her death from uterian cancer in 1958. Don and Betty had no children. There are stories amoung the people in Chimacum that the "Chicken" ranch that Bob and Betty had was really a moonshire operation. Wether this is true or not I do not know. Because, even to this day, Betty is not very popular with the residents of that area who are related to the Bishops.

I do believe that you will enjoy all of Betty's adult books, and if you have any questions while reading them please feel free to ask. I would also like to add that Betty's sister, Mary Bard, was an author herself.

John

Cows are our friends!

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 6:13:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Where is Vashon?

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:11:20 PM  Show Profile
Never mind! Re-read the posts and found out Vashon is in Washington. I always loved Ma & Pa Kettle.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
Vason is right across the sound from Seattle. if you would like to see what Betty's Vason farm looked like go to www.bettymacdonaldfarm.com, there are some wonderful pictures there.
if this link dosen't work let me know

John

Cows are our friends!

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 6:14:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Argh! Didn't work!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
http://www.bettymacdonaldfarm.com/ try this. if this dosent work just type Betty Macdonald onto your address bar

John

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Uh oh. I feel another Barnes & Noble shopping spree coming along. Drat having a mother for an English teacher, book are my vice!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I take it that you found the site ok? I really with that there was a place where I could post some pictures and 1st edition macdonald book covers for you all to view and, hopefully, enjoy.

John

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I did and it is a beautiful site John! I will be visiting it ofetn and I hope you write a book someday on her. You should start a blog!

By the way I love cows. Especially brown ones with big brown eyes. I hope to have one, one day named Sophie.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
Kim,

I would love to someday write a book on Betty but, i most likely never will unless I just put a small book together just to share with other betty Fans. I don't think I would want the responcibility of having a blog. I like forums like this. I hope to stay around here for a long time as long as I am welcome.

Did you know that in the 1950's there was a short lived soap opera based on The Egg and I? It only lasted one season.

Glad you like cows too
john

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Really? What was it called?

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
It was called The Egg and I.

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:53:24 PM  Show Profile
ROFL, I should have guessed. I am a big '50's buff but I have never heard of the show.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
LOL
Cows are our friends!

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 7:56:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:54:27 PM  Show Profile
That would be great! I look forward to it!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
It was called the Egg and I . when I get home I will get out the reviws on it and let you know who starred in it

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page