Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  3:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Has anyone read this wonderfull book by Betty McDonald? It is the book that inspired the movie of the same title and made Ma and Pa Kettle household names. Ma Kettle was THE first Farm Girl I think. Talk about earthy.The book is a delight for anyone who loves, has loved or wants to love the country life and farming. She is simply hilarious with the dryest sense of humor. Okay, back to my weeding bye bye.

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  3:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I remember the Ma and Pa Kettle movies! They always came on late at night when I was a kid so I did't get to watch them much. The Egg and I sounds familiar though. Ma Kettle was a true farmgirl. Thanks for the memories! By the way, welcome to the forum girls! Sounds like you will all fit in! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  3:44:50 PM  Show Profile
I have not read the book but the movie is absolutely one of my favorites. I love Ma and Pa Kettle! This movie should be a must see for all Farmgirls.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  5:14:28 PM  Show Profile
I loved the book and have the movie..along with most of the Ma and Pa Kettle ones..we love them. Welcome to the group Diane and Holly..you are going to fit in fine!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  9:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Was Fred MacMurray in this movie too? And who was the actress who played his wife? WAsn't it the same woman from "It Happened One Night", with Clark Gable?
Back to the original comment, I loved the Kettle movies when I was young. It seems there was a series of them... What else did Betty McDonald write? Her name is familiar (as an author). Geeze, I fell so forgetful tonight, but this is really dredging up OLD memories!!!
Sharon
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  11:00:22 AM  Show Profile
The Egg and I has been a favorite movie for life! The book is so funny, too! Betty MacDonald also wrote the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books and others -
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  1:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I don't think I've ever heard of these!? Where have I been?? LOL Putting them on my list now!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Good book, love the movie! Yes, Fred MacMurray is in the movie. Someday I hope to find the movie to buy. It makes me laugh every time.
Betty McDonald also has a book called Onions in the Stew. It is about they life on Vashon Island in WA. I have the book but haven 't yet read it.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  9:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I have been a HUGE fan of Betty Macdonlad's since I was 15 years old and am now 50. Over the past few months I have been researching Betty's life and have found reams of information on her. Her real life was more fascinating than her books. I have ton's of pictures; even pictures of the original Egg and I farm. Did you know that in 1951 Betty was sued by a family named Bishop claiming that they were the real Ma and Pa Kettle?

John
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey John in Fort Wayne..do you have the photo posted anywhere? I have been up to find the original house but never have found it...is it still standing?..I would LOVE to see it..BIG fan of Betty's..she passed way too young.I don't think I would sue as to being the REAL Ma and Pa, I'd be too embarrassed!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  12:44:51 AM  Show Profile
One of the lines from the movie that I grew up with was " Awww... it don't hurt the runnin of it none!" My kooky parents must have found these people oddly endearing too!(Maybe they reminded my Dad of some ancient relatives in Tennessee... saints preserve us!) I'm not sure who was the wife, was it Myrna Loy (love her) or Carole Lombard (Mrs. Clark Gable)?

Oooo...thanks KJD! Loved her too!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 04 2005 08:06:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  03:56:14 AM  Show Profile
It was Claudette Colbert...
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  6:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
The original "Egg and I farm" was torn down 30 years ago and a manufactured house was put up in it's place. Betty was only 49 when she passed away from uterian cancer, of her two daughters, Ann and Joan, only Ann is living. she is a very sweet person who just loves to talk about her mother. During th course of my research I have obtained 100's of documents and stories about Betty. That is one reason why I joined this forum: to help people get a better understanding of Betty and her life outside the books.
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Fabulous Farm Femmes

Has anyone read this wonderfull book by Betty McDonald? It is the book that inspired the movie of the same title and made Ma and Pa Kettle household names. Ma Kettle was THE first Farm Girl I think. Talk about earthy.The book is a delight for anyone who loves, has loved or wants to love the country life and farming. She is simply hilarious with the dryest sense of humor. Okay, back to my weeding bye bye.

She lived near us on Vashon Island in Washinton state. Her brother Clive Bard lived across the street from us with his wife and two sons. Mary also lived on Vashon Island and was a writer.Bettys place is still there and the people still have chickens last time I was there. And the book really did show Betty's way of thinking and living. I also recommend her book Anybody Can Do Anything ~Beth
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  1:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I am going to Vashon next summer to visit Judith Lawrence who owns the Betty Macdonald Bed and Breakfast. I will have to get directions to Mary and Cleve's old houses. If anyone is interested I have some small articals that I would be more than happy to post on here if anyone would like to read them.

Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  1:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Johnftwa48in

I am going to Vashon next summer to visit Judith Lawrence who owns the Betty Macdonald Bed and Breakfast. I will have to get directions to Mary and Cleve's old houses. If anyone is interested I have some small articals that I would be more than happy to post on here if anyone would like to read them.

Clive and his wife in the fifties and sixties lived near downtown Vashon one block west of the Bank road turn off and the third house to the south. Small white house with a gated backyard. Up the corner on bank road was the old brick and very charming library with a nice garden area with benches that the Bacchus family built in memory of two sons who died in the war. Then Clive and his wife built a new home near the beach closer to the Burton area of the island. My mom taught Sam their youngest son in second grade. ~ Beth
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:14:44 PM  Show Profile
John - I would love to read any information you have!

Beth - How interesting to have this connection...
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I can't wait to see that area. I recently spoke to Betty's daughter Anne, and she told me that although the area has changed with the times in a way, it really hasn't changed that much. I am working on trying to get some photos of the Macdonald farm on Vashon as it was when betty lived there. So far I found a picture of theoriginal Egg and I farm.

John
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh, wow! You are from Ft Wayne? I was born there! My folks live in Fremont Indiana still.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
yes I am from Fort wayne. I know right where fremont is, I have been there many times. Glad to see someone from Indiana in here.
I hope that you will be a continuing member of the Egg forum, I have alot of very interesting stuff on Betty and her books.

John
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I would LOVE to see a picture of the original Egg and I farm!!
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I will be more than happy to send you a picture of the original Egg and I farm. you are more free to send me an email and i will send you a picture of the Egg and I farm. The picture that I have has a woman standing on the pourch, I think that it may be Betty but not sure. My email address is listed in my profile.

john

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 08:51:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  10:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
Hello All:

as everyone in here knows Betty wrote the bestseller "The Egg and I," do you also know that betty wrote three other aduly books? They are "The Plauge and I," recounting her year long stay at a T.B. sanitorioum in 1938, "Anybody Can Do Anything," about her life after she left her first husband Robert Heskett and 'Onions in The Stew," about her life on Vashon Island, with her new husband Don Macdonald and, their battle raising two adolecent daughters (both daughters from her first marriage to Bob Heskett). Also, many of the people in her books are based on real life individuals, several of whom I have had the pleaseure of talking to about Betty and they association with her. In 1951 one of these groups of people, Albert Bishop and family, sued Betty for $950,000 claiming that "they" were the basis for Ma and Pa Kettle. Happily Betty was found "not Guilty."

John
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  05:24:40 AM  Show Profile
John, so glad that you've joined us and are sharing all this wonderful information!
For security reasons, we'd like you to edit out your email address from your message. Members may contact you by clicking on your profile and emailing you through the forum. This keeps your email address safe from spamming and such. Thank you!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you very much, John!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  09:03:15 AM  Show Profile
There is a road I've driven past a few times called the Egg and I Road. It is not on Vashon ('cause I've never been to Vashon) but I can't remember where exactly . . . maybe I saw it on the way to Port Townsend . . . or on Whidbey Island. Doesn't anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm curious as to why that road would have been named such.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page