Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic
Page: of 3

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile
That is a great site! And a source for her other books - thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  7:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
Shucks for some reason my posts messed up and went multiple on me

Cows are our friends!

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 10:06:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  10:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
As promised, here is the cast list for the TV show, "The Egg andI."

BETTY MACDONALD / (1951- 1952) PAT KIRKLAND
BETTY MACDONALD / (3/10/52- 8/1/52) BETTY LYNN
BOB MACDONALD / JOHN CRAVEN
PA KETTLE / FRANK TWEDELL
MA KETTLE / DORIS RICH

The show premiered September 3rd,1951 on CBS, and ended August 1, 1952. It ended, not because it was a flop but, proctor and Gamble inexplicably stoped it's sponsorship of the show and no other advertiser replaced them. Betty Lynn went on to play "Thelma Lou" on the Andy Griffith show 10 years later.
I find it strange that Bob's last name was Heskett but, they used Macdonald on the TV show, and in the book and in the movie, Betty never told us her last name. When you watch the movie closely you will see them in the bedroom on their first night on the farm. If you look at the back wall on the left of the screen you will see some luggage with the initial "H" on it.

John

Cows are our friends!

Edited by - Johnftwa48in on Oct 07 2005 10:10:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  6:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Went to the used book store today and got 3 Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books, to read to my son. I read these long ago myself. They had a copy of The Egg and I, but I already have it. I'll keep checking back for her other books, too.
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
I like the Mrs Piggle-Wiggle series. I have all 4 of them. I was surfing the net today and went into a used bookseller site and seen a Mrs. Pigglw-Wiggle book for $800, and Betty's other book, "Nancy and Plum," for $1500. I was really suprised that first editions of her books are so expensive. I got my first edition "Egg and I", with dust jacket, for 50 cents.

Your son will really like the Piggle-Wiggles books.

john

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Maybe Betty was either trying to save her ex husband from feeling like the jack ass he was when her book came out (by not revealing his last name) or more likely her daughter Anne's feelings (he was her father after all). Even though I knew the history behind it all when I read the book, it always kind of tickled me that she didn't reveal it, as in my head I always called Bob "Old MacDonald" as in had a farm.Made him more villianous to me!
Go to Top of Page

Johnftwa48in
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

John
Fort Wayne Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Johnftwa48in a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fabulous Farm Femmes

Maybe Betty was either trying to save her ex husband from feeling like the jack ass he was when her book came out (by not revealing his last name) or more likely her daughter Anne's feelings (he was her father after all). Even though I knew the history behind it all when I read the book, it always kind of tickled me that she didn't reveal it, as in my head I always called Bob "Old MacDonald" as in had a farm.Made him more villianous to me!

I agree, I think that alot of it had to do with the fact that Betty wanted NO contact with her ex husband. She didn't even want him to see his daughter's Ann and, Joan. Bob really couldn't push the visitation issue because he NEVER paid the court ordered support of $50 a month.
I had heard that Bob was offered a flat $1000 to give up his rights to any financial gain from the movie, "the Egg and I." He was left out of everything involvong the Egg, including, the law suite brought against Betty.

john

Cows are our friends!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page