Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  2:49:42 PM  Show Profile
I am so into this. Reading all the comments has really gotten me inspired. I've been trying to cut our grocery bill by a bit here and there. One of the things is yes, using what I already have on hand. DH is a BIG meat eater, so it's every night. And now with the prices so high, well, I'm trying my best buying a big beef/pork roast and using it all up for several meals and finding recipes that I can use ground beef. And I'll be back to cutting coupons.

Thanks one and all for all the awsome ideas.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kim- That is a good idea, but for our area the only one I have available would be Rite Aid :( Darn. Winco (our grocery store) does pretty good though so I guess I will just watch specials there. Good thing my fiance works there so he can tip me off to great prices :) !!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  5:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
These are some of the Cabbage Burgers that I made today!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  5:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, those look good Alee! I love this thread too. I hope we can keep it going - I am learning so much and getting new ideas and inspiration, even after all these years of keeping house!!
I changed the nachos on my menu to taco salad as I found some lettuce that I need to use up before Saturday. So it's taco salad tonight for us.
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Those look great Alee!!

This thread has been a big help to me as well, I recently (since January) changed the way I cook and the way we eat. I spend most of our grocery budget on fresh produce, lean meats and organic dairy. I know we are much healthier (and a lot lighter) with the changes. I don't mind spending the extra for the better foods but I know I need to manage what I have better, be more careful about not letting the fresh produce go bad before I use it and plan meals better!!

Edited by - mom2knk on Jul 03 2007 7:55:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:56:38 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread too. You are all giving me some ideas for cutting the food budget. With 2 teenagers, both with hollow legs, there never seems to be enough food on the table let alone in the house. Both are in sports and burn calories like crazy.
I'm making more freezer meals, baking more breads, hitting local fruit stands and farmers' markets. A few months ago I got the link to 30 Day Meals on one of our threads and it has lead me to other sites for make ahead meals and preplanning meals, something I am not good at but I feel like I'm doing better. The weekly food bill is still high but better then a few months ago.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  11:01:12 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread too. You are all giving me some great ideas for cutting the food budget. With 2 teenagers, both with hollow legs, there never seems to be enough food on the table let alone in the house. Both are in sports and burning calories like crazy.
I'm making more freezer meals, baking more breads, hitting local fruit stands and farmers' markets. A few months ago I got the link to 30 Day Meals on one of our threads. It lead me to other sites for make ahead meals and preplanning meals, something I am not good at . The weekly food bill is still high but better then a few months ago.
Thanks and please keep sharing your good ideas.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  1:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I tried that grocerygame site too Alee, don't be blue, RiteAid was the only store for me too, lol. Bummer!! and I put in zip codes for 4 towns that I go to.

This is definitly a good challenge. Would make us more aware too of where and how we are spending on pennies. I totaly agree with buying it when it is on sale and "stocking up". I do that. It saves bunchs in the long run.
I am just now trying to figure out how to work it for our household. I am now buying my eggs, from a local person (4 miles away) they are free range and organic for 1.25 a dozen. Our milk is free because my husband works for my best friend and her husband as their farm manager. We know what those cows are feed and its organic. Hoping to have my own eggs and chicken in the near future. We buy our meat local (1/2 side of grass fed beef, no hormones and organic) and have it cut as we want. I have a chest freezer for this reason. We love fish and I buy that alread a frozen filets because the "fresh fish" at the grocery stores counter said it was from china, I said NO WAY. We just stocked our own pond 2 falls ago with yellow perch and lrg mouth bass, so we are giving the fish babies time to grow. What I won't get from my garden, I'll get it at the farmers market. Or buy direct from the grower for lrg quantites, like tomatoes (I didn't plant enough to can)and I want to can tomatoes this yr. I use a lot of canned tomatoe products(diced, crushed, so on) for soups, sauces and stuff. I didn't get my onions or potatoes in earlier enough this yr and will buy them in bulk, local. Some for my garlic.
I buy paper products in bulk, they keep, lol. But am trying to wean us off some much paper towel usage and am stocking up on cloth napkins. I just started to buy recycled toilet tissue. My splurge is paper plates for breakfast and lunch. I wash dishes by hand and don't wanna be washing dishes all day long. I do use the used paper plates as kindling for our woodstove. Even in warmer weather we burn the stove out once a week, lol. I tend to bake a lot of our "treats" and I make my dogs biscuts too. I don't buy much in the way of "prepackaged" mixes and I buy our cheese products at a local cheese plant and sometimes in bulk and freeze the extra. I also make my own ricotta cheese(in a crockpot)
I'll start writing things down and let you girls know how it's going!!!

Trace

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  1:48:04 PM  Show Profile
This thread is so wonderful. All of you have such great tips on saving here and there and everywhere. I too shop in bulk when I go into the "big city" and stock up on paper items, bath items, canned goods, etc. Found a recipe to make doggie treats and I'm going to make up a batch and see if the dogs will eat it. That would save a ton in buying Milk Bones - although we do get generic treats at a feed store and they don't mind those at all. Want to start making my own bread more than I have been doing and also see if I can find someone in the area who has eggs to sell. Can't wait until next year when DH builds me an enclosed garden so I can grow my own and start to freeze and can things. You're all such an inspiration!!!

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  06:34:15 AM  Show Profile
I love this topic! For years I have carefully watched my food budget. We only eat out occasionally, and rarely pick up fast food. I pack everyone's lunch almost every day. I work outside the home, but try to always have meals planned and cook from scratch most of the time. For a family of 4, we used to spend $400 per month on groceries, which includes paper items and cleaning products (I've been making my laundry detergent for about 1 year, thanks to Aunt Jenny's recipe). About 1 year ago, with the increase in prices, we upped the budget to $500 per month. That also includes tax, which is 8.75 - 9.75% where we live. I went in Kroger a couple of nights ago, and was shocked by the prices. I left with a feeling of "how am I going to feed my family on a budget". Fortunately, we had better luck at Sam's yesterday. DH has a membership card through his employer but I don't go there with him very often. Several months back we got a case (80 lbs) of 93% lean ground beef there for $1.58 lb. Yesterday we got a case (only 20 lbs) of ground turkey for $1.60 lb. Also found all natural chickens that needed to be sold, reduced to .66 lb. Bought 12 for the freezer. (The sale price at the grocery this week was ,69lb. for dark meat only.) Was also excited to get a 50lb. bag of Domino sugar for just over $17. The best price I can find in grocery stores is .40 per lb, which I haven't seen in a while. I grind my own wheat, but use white flour also. Got a 25 lb. bag of bread flour for just over $5. I felt much better about the monthly budget after leaving Sam's. I have 2 mid size freezers, so I usually buy large quantities when I find a good price. I also shop at Aldi and feel they usually have the best prices. I usually only go to the big grocery stores for the loss leader sales and to use coupons. I will now make it a point to get DH to take me to Sam's once every couple of months at least.

Here's some of our regular menu items:

Meatloaf (beef or turkey or both)
Spaghetti
Baked Spaghetti (thanks to the Farm Girl cookbook)
Baked chicken and vegs
Sloppy Joes
Jambalaya
goulash
Vegetable Soup
Beef stew
Chicken pot pie
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken/rice or chicken/pasta varieties of casseroles
Meat/rice or meat/potato creations depending on what I have on hand

I would love to see anyone's frugal recipes! I'm always trying to plan/think ahead.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, my budget for the week, that I was feeling so great about because I only had to buy bananas and smoothies (due to our trip) got blown away yesterday! I had forgotten that DD was ordering organic chickens from a grower in her area and got a discount if she ordered 1/2 dozen, so I told her I'd go in with her and take three and she could take three. That was a couple of weeks ago and I'd forgotten about it. Well, guess what - on the fourth, she came to our family picnic, frozen chickens in tow, and told me my half of the bill (for three chickens mind you, organic though they be) was $39. Well, that, and giving DIL money to help with the steaks on the fourth, took the rest of my $65. But, I have three 5 lb. chickens in the freezer for when I get back from Montana!! Better luck next week!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Sherri! Those are some expensive chickens! :) I hope they taste wonderful!

Yesterday, Doug and I picked about a gallon and a half of blackberries. I am going to try and make something with them- just not sure what yet! LOL But the will boost our fruit for the month! I can't wait till it is apple season! There is lots of wild apple trees around here!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  09:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Alee, on our way back from the cabin (in a couple of weeks) we are doing a side trip, first to see DS in Jackson WY, then on back up to see other son's new property in the St. Marie's area. They are supposed to be there working on it the weekend of the 21-22. When I got directions from him, he said it was actually about 1/2 mile from Ferndale (Ferndale - does that sound right? He said leave St. Maries and drive through Santa (?)) and then through Ferndale. Do you know where we're going?
Maybe it was Fernwood?

Edited by - mikesgirl on Jul 05 2007 09:14:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  10:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Grocery shopping is a real challenge. We do not eat meat but once in a while or in spagetti sauce, but have fish very often. I do cook from scratch almost everything, do not buy cake mix or salad dressing. I would make a dressing with olive oil, lemon and seasoning in a large glass jar and put it in the fridge and use it for all the salads. When in season, I would can prepared tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, would make 3 part of the basic recipe, then woul season one part with garlic, another part with basil and red peppers, parsley and rosemary will be the 3 rd part. When I do pizza dough, I do it for 4 or 5 pizzas, roll them and freeze the round shapes, then while they defrost I can garnish them and put them in the oven righ away.
I buy all the basics, toilet paper, cleaning products, sponges and soaps at a cheaper place, then go shopping for organic (flour, pasta, rice, beans, cheese).... and buy as much as possible fruits and vegetables that are grown localy and are in season. What is left then is 2 trips a month for the rest of the grocery.
I try to adapt our meals to the season. Lots of salads and fresh fruits in summer time, soups and hearthy stews in winter. Also, I use canning for whatever is bountifull and turn fuits in purees for winter pies, large pumpkins in mash, crunchy pickled cucumbers...
Hope that helps.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Disappointment!!

I did not get some of my chicken or the ground turkey meat portioned and into the freezer before they went bad! Goodbye 5lbs of turkey meat and 10 chicken thighs! :( I am very bummed as that was about a week of meat. Oh well. I think we bought plenty of meat for the month. But that was like tossing $10-$15!!! Grr.

Sherri- I am not quite sure where those towns are. I know where St. Maries is, but I would have to look on the map for the others. I have heard of Santa, ID though.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh no Alee! I have done that too...very frustrating!!

Wish me luck everyone! I have my list and menu plan ready to go! I checked the sales ads and went through coupons and I have my cash ready to grocery shop tomorrow morning! Hopefully I stick to the list and to the plan and come in way under my budget for the week!!

Edited by - mom2knk on Jul 05 2007 2:37:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  2:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a plan Blanche! I feel your pain Alee - I've done that also.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This afternoon, my lunch is fresh picked blackberries with a little dusting of sugar, and rice with black beans. Yummy!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:31:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee, those blackberries sound yummy.

Tonight it was just me so I boiled some new potatoes I dug today, mixed them with a bit of butter and fresh chopped parsley and oregano. Had a hunk of cheese, a handful of picked yesterday raspberries, and a just picked lettuce salad. Delish!

I'm writing everything down, so I'll post up my groceries, menus and budget at the end of each week. It's neat to see what I really spend at the grocery- and on what!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has posted such good ideas for saving! I don't really budget our grocery spending but I do try to save as much as I can by buying seasonal food and using fresh produce from our garden. I buy a quarter of beef in the fall to fill our freezer, and am thinking of doing the same for pork this year. I find the best way to save money in the grocery bill is to stay out of the grocery store as much as possible! They have so many slick ways of getting you to buy impulse items.

I also try to stay away from "fast food" or convenience items - for example, we make our own pizza, don't buy the frozen ones.

Buy whole chickens and cut them up - I noticed yesterday at the local grocery store that fresh chicken breasts (package of about 5-6 halves) was marked $13.54!!!!! That's so unreal. I buy a whole chicken for about $5 to $7, then have chicken breasts, plus legs for another meal, plus make soup/stock from the rest of the carcass.

Same thing with turkey, I buy an extra at Thanksgiving and Christmas, when they are marked way down. After roasting the bird, I freeze some of the leftovers, and eat the rest for a week or more. Make soup stock from the carcass. (I use my freezer a lot).

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  4:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So how is everyone doing on their grocery budget this month? So far I haven't had to return to the store for anything yet! I am pretty pleased with our efforts so far!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile
So far so good here. I ended up shopping for 2 weeks over the weekend and spent almost everything I had budgeted! I only have enough left to either go to the Farmer's Market or Henry's for produce for next week. Hopefully we survive on what I bought although my 13 year old ds is determined to eat us out of house and home! LOL He must be having a growth spurt!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone ever tried the recipes and shopping list from the hillbilly housewife? www.hillbillyhousewife.com ? I read her site a lot. She has put a lot of thought into what she has on there and even has brown bag lunch ideas. Some of her meal ideas don't appeal to me, so I do alternatives- but over all I think there is a lot of information on there.

One thing that we do to have a bit of dessert to fill us up if we are getting a little hungry towards bed time is to make a rice pudding type dessert. I guess Doug's family ate this all the time. You make plain rice, add a some sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and then cover it all in milk. It tastes really yummy and since it is really cheap to make and doesn't have a whole lot of calories- you can make a lot and let everyone eat as much as they want.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bump!

I still haven't gone to the grocery store for anything but my WIC checks. How are you all doing?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  10:21:07 AM  Show Profile
This is where I start to panic!! I did my shopping last week, shopped for 2 weeks and only have money set aside for produce and organic milk for this next week. I guess everyone in my family is going through a growth spurt because my cupboards are beginning to look a little bare! I know there is enough food in the house, I don't have to go to the grocery store but I developed a bad habit of going to the store way too often and it is hard to break!! This is where I need to work on planning meals better!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page