LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  10:59:10 AM  Show Profile
what a great thread! I love bouncing ideas like this.it is so great to see what others do to save. I buy organic thru our local co op when I can & shop usually every 2 weeks at a large grocery store 45 min. away..one problem I have is the kids too. THey do eat you out of house & home..and I never shop without them since I work at the school where they attend so we are on the same schedule & it is hard since they want everything you do not, so I allow one treat & they help pick out all the fruit
LauraH
It must be in the air I too am trying to clear out our freezer & pantry & see how long that can pull us thru.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Blanche-

How about this: Post what you have on hand- including flour and such and we can all brainstorm some meals for you! When is your next planned shopping date?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  6:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee.....I appreciate any help!!

Let's see, I can tell you that back in mid January I decided to change the way I shop and the way I feed my family! I wanted to go back to whole foods and lean protiens and get away from processed anything. By cutting out white things (flour, sugar, bread, rice and pasta) I have taken 50 lbs off so this has all been a very good thing!

What I do have is......
bs chicken breast (4lb bag)
2 whole chickens
2 lbs. lean ground sirloin
2 lbs. ground turkey

I have lots of fresh or frozen veggies, our garden has really started producing, infact I can't keep up with the tomatoes! Other veggies....
-broccoli
-carrots
-celery
-onions
-peppers (bell type)
-green beans
-zucchini
-yellow squash (we call it crookneck)

Lots of fresh fruit
-watermelon
-canteloupe
-honeydew
-apples
-grapefruit
-grapes
-blueberries
-blackberries
-strawberries
-bananas

I buy mostly fat free things like sour cream, cottage cheese and low fat cheeses and milk....after all these months we are all use to them. I have all these things on hand too.

I don't force my kids to eat these limited things, I buy some junk as well but I make most of it from scratch if I can. So I can make hm mac & cheese, spaghetti sauce and I can make any type of pasta with that too. I do have wheat flour, soy flour, rye flour and actually some white flour as well. Pretty much anything you would need for baking, I have it stored in my pantry..I never got rid of things even though I am not using them right now!

I do need to go to Henry's tomorrow to get organic milk and produce and then I don't plan to shop for anything else until next Friday!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  7:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I posted a carrot cake recipe on this forum that is great for the other family members if you like. It works great as a carrot muffin with just a little less sugar.
You could do a really great veggie stir fry,
do fruit shakes or smoothies,
do a roast chicken with veggies roasted along side (do as much veggies as you do chicken or even more- Cook the extras with chicken broth people will fill up on the veggies)
how about a taco night with the turkey or sirloin
Duluxe baked potatoes with turkey or sirloin, cheese, sour cream, etc
Spagetti
Chicken and dumplings with some of the chicken breast
Chicken Catchetori (sp)

Let me know if you need more ideas!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  08:48:17 AM  Show Profile
I've never made a grocery budget...I think we spend about $75 a week for the two of us and the baby. The problem is, one week I'll spend $100 or more, and the next week I'll spend $50 or less...so I'd drive myself nuts trying to do a weekly budget. I follow the sales and try to make as many meals at home as possible (eating out is a fast way to blow cash), so that's my big thing. The last time we ate out was Thursday (but last week was bad for us as far as eating out) and today is Monday. Maybe that should be my goal...see how many days we can go without eating out. My husband says he likes my food better than restaurant food anyway.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Blanche, if I were you, I'd make a pasta primavera with chicken. Alternatively, you could do a stir fry with chicken or ground beef over rice. Also, any combination of that stuff would be great in a bakeover.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile
I would cook both chickens at the same time, eat one as a meal with veggies, biscuits, potatoes, etc. Then I would cut up what is left on that one and make a pot pie (either freeze or use it the next day). I would cut the second one up into little chunks and make a soup with some, freeze some for stir-fry, freeze some for another pot pie for later. With all the veggies, you would have a ball making soup, pot pies and stir fry enough to put away some for later or eat the following few days. There is also always chicken salad which is a good meal for lunches or dinner if your family will eat sandwiches for dinner. (My husband will not, unless it is a soup and sandwich meal or a meatball hero).

I have been loving this thread even though I usually only read it every day!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  6:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies so much for all the great ideas!! I really do appreciate all of your help!!

I think we will survive this week and even though I thought I would grocery shop on Friday I don't think I will need to, we have done really well working with what we have in the pantries and freezers!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I went to go cook some chicken last night. So I pulled some of my frozen chicken out and defrosted it in a warm water bath and it was bad! Like spoiled smell bad as soon as I opened the baggie! I know it wasn't the warm water because it was only floating in the warm water for 15 minutes so the chicken legs weren't sticking to each other. I knew that the chicken didn't get portioned and put in the freezer quick enough- but I didn't think I had frozen bad chicken. Darn! I am going to have to toss all that chicken that I bought. Good thing we have lots of hamburger and a few more packages of roast! LOL. We might end up having to go back to the store for $10 worth of chicken which would make me upset, but we will see. We still have lots of beans and cheese to eat so maybe we won't need to.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is everone doing with their budget this month so far? We have not gone back for anything other than my WIC items so I am pleased. We have enough meat for each night until the end of the month! Yay! This coming month I will shop alone so Doug can't convince me to buy expensive things!! lol So I am aiming for $150 for the month of August!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  3:41:26 PM  Show Profile
There is a yahoo group called "Pantry Challenge" that dedicates itself to providing recipes to deal with whatever you have left in your house to try to avoid going to the store. I subscribe to these groups "web only" so I don't get tons of email; I just go to yahoo groups when I want to read the posts. For "Pantry Challenge" I don't really read the posts because it is mostly banter among friends in the group, but they have a "files" section where someone collects all the recipes posted and files them by month. That is a very useful section.

We bought a chest freezer second hand years ago for a whopping $25. It is ugly as sin but it is in my basement so I don't care, and it works just fine. I tend to buy meat when it is on the "last day sale" and put it in my chest freezer and work from there. Aldi is a big staple at our house too. Our Aldi is very busy so the food is quite fresh.

For a while I tried that once a month cooking thing but I just couldn't hack it. What I do actually do is make two or three of something if it is freezable, all at one time, and freeze the extras in the chest freezer. We do a potluck with church friends each week and this saves me a lot of time and grief; I can just pull it out and warm it up before we head over to my friends' home.

Since I do the farmer's market each weekend I buy or trade for stuff with my fellow vendors as well. Great produce from really nice folks...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

Edited by - nashbabe on Jul 29 2007 3:44:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile
With all the posts about chicken I just wanted to drop in another little suggestion on how to stretch that meal. When you have chicken, no matter how it's cooked (except with BBQ sauce) remember to cook down the whole carcass or pieces to make chick soup base. No matter how much or how little meat you have it's usually enough for at least one serving of soup.

I just cook it down in plain water, pull the meat off the bone and freeze it. Once you add the veggies, seasonings and noodles or rice even a cottage cheese size container of base turns out to be 2 decent sized servings.

Just Food for Thought

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:48:39 PM  Show Profile
I am doing really well with my grocery budget this month. I am about $15 under for the week, and I've been under every week except one, so I will probably end up about $40 under for the month! We have had some "odd" meals, but dh doesn't seem to mind!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Sherri! Good job! Doesn't it feel great?!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:44:49 PM  Show Profile
I find with this impending financial disaster surrounding my mom's care, I really can save more money than I thought I could. Something good coming out of a bad situation I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is a good way to look at it. It is amazing how much you can save when you have a good reason to!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile
OK ladies - it's time for an update on the grocery challenge. How have you all benn doing? Have you met your goals? If not, let us know and we can help you brainstorm ways to come closer next week.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Even though I have not officially joined in the challenge, I have been trying to shop only once every two or three weeks and that is working out to be about $100 a week for food for 4-6 of of daily. That includes my daughter's frozen meals she needs for work, etc. Not too shabby. The first time I shopped for three weeks was around the end of June and wouldn't you know that my freezer died the next day!! I lost a ton of food, but was able to get the meats into my neighbor's basement freezer before they defrosted too much. I did not buy too much to make up for the loss, rather just used stuff I had in the pantry, etc. Plus that same neighbor was going away for a week and made me take her fruits, veggies, milk, etc. instead of tossing it out. So it worked out ok! (This was after the freezer/fridge was fixed of course) I spent a lot less money by making menus for a few weeks at a time and making use of leftovers.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have only bought little things so far so I need to go to te store soon, nut for July I only spent the $180 for the month (plus WIC food) for 2 adults and a breastfeeding infant. My gosl is $150 for August!

Alee
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  7:37:41 PM  Show Profile
You can do it! You guys all seem to have a good grip on cooking on a budget.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  9:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just did my shopping for the month and my grocery bill came to $136 and some change. I am going to probably have to supplement a bit through out the rest of the month with buying a few more freshing things so I think I will come right in at the $150 range this month (yay!) I bought a lot of staples this month like rice, steel cut oats, yogurt, but also a lot of fresh fruit like melons, apples, oranges, limes, lemons etc. I got some great deals on fish and beef.

How is everyone else doing?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  3:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is everyone else doing?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  6:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I just caught this thread, a great topic! I need to make an actual budget and MAKE myself STICK TO IT. Ok, that was for me. lol Budgets just seem so committal and permanent, and I need to get over that. I don't spend alot on groceries altho I cannot rattle off a total I spend monthly, it just depends. We get half of a beef from my parents and I process 2-3 deer so I really never buy meat except for occaisional chicken when I can find whole chickens on sale. I find it's so much cheaper to cut them up yourself. I don't like buying meat at the store as I want to know where it came from, how it grew up and who has handled it. I would rather buy from a locker or butcher if I had the option. I watch the weekly sales and if there is a good sale on something I will stock up. We have been out of milk for a good week when I realized that I did have a new box of powdered milk in the fridge. I usually mix it half and half with whole milk for a better flavor. So I found a nice big jar and made some up and my 3.5 yr old son has been drinking it like crazy. lol I try to always have a good stocked pantry of flour, sugar, spices and such. Sugar is getting so expensive that when it goes on sale a few times a year I will stock up and store it in the basement. Starting in October I'm going to come up with menus and a budget and see how I do. You girls are doing awesome!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  7:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

A menu and a budget don't have to be scarey at all. In fact you can work in those "stocking up" tendancies- I sure do! And having a menu really helps with the "Oh no! What do I fix for dinner tonight! We have had spaghetti 3 times in the last 2 weeks!" feeling :D. I have found that if I have a budget I am much less likely to splurge on cakes and cookies and other such empty calories. How are prices in your area? Reasonable or pretty high?

Alee

Edited by - Alee on Sep 27 2007 7:22:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  8:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
There will be a point when Nora gets to eating spaghetti and she will love it!

It just depends on what you buy as to the prices. I guess I don't pay too much attention to snack things as I usually make my own from scratch. Here lately when I look at the grocery ad's I have been noticing all the processed things seem to take up the most space. I guess my mom's constant drilling of 'homemade is always better' from when I was a child actually stuck. lol I'll buy cake/brownie mixes from a store called Aldi and they run about 79-99cents a box. Don't know if you have that store there, it's kinda bare bones. They don't put much into displays, just set out open cases and they don't bag for you, the cheapest grocery store in town depending on what you buy. I have found that keeping a price book is the best way to go, then you always know if you're getting the best deal. I just got my new copy of the Complete Tightwad Gazette in the mail this week. I absolutely love those books! Amy talks alot about making a price book. I try to buy fresh fruits but usually what is on sale/in season. Around here right now it is apple time. I usually have someone that gives tons of apples away and I get mine from there for applesauce/apple butter/etc, but we had a late hard freeze back in spring and most fruit trees aren't producing this year.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page