Page: of 6

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile
OK I was feeling like a genius until you said that Alee LOL please don't tell my husband it wasn't my own brainstorm Chef Craig thinks I hit gold.
I'll have to try out the cabbage burgers sounds good. I bet the cabbage gives them a bit of heat to! Can you do it with pizza dough?
I haven't been feeling up to par for awhile now so it feels like we are doing " make your own pizza" every night. Plus I am doing weight watchers soooo... My kids could live on Pasta, I buy the Barilla whole wheat with Omegas. I keep thinking one day I'll do falafel or portabello burgers.

I could spend as much as Susan does without blinking. Kids will eat until they pop, or we do watching them . It amazes me how much they need to eat and can eat. It wouldn't even take me buying fancy stuff or only organics. I am jealous of him(Susan' hubby) cooking those meals. My husband is a chef and he is so over cooking right now that he never cooks anymoreI am a culinary grad and was jealous of the Rat in that new movie that is out because I spend most of my time thinking about how to make my Veggie base actually taste like ketchup. OK pitty party over.I think it is wonderful that you are able to celebrate like that. Family meals are often over looked these days.

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle

Edited by - threebusybees on Jul 01 2007 5:49:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile
I spend between 90-100 dollars every two weeks in the summer and about $10-15 more in the winter. It is just myself and an 18 year old...but man can he eat! I eat alot too when I am cycling and running. We eat about a 5 dozen eggs a week and I buy the organic omegas ( see why I am eager to get some layers!) We also eat alot of meat. It is usually the main attraction in meals at the beginning of the two weeks and more of just a "flavor" toward the end of the two weeks. I am a former chef so we eat well..I use lots of spices and cook lots of ethnic foods. I can be really creative and would love to start a show on the cooking chanel were I go into peoples homes at the end of the month and cook with what ever they have left in their freezer or pantry. However I know from reality most of the women in the US run to the grocery store every other day and have no idea what they spend a week or month on groceries...those of us who budget are a dying breed! As far as meat goes I go to the market ( a super shaws) every other week on thursdays cuz thursday the butcher has a managers special label on lots of the meats that are getting read to go past date. I buy whatever has those tags...get home throw them in the freezer. those will become the meats I use in two weeks..what I do is sit down with my cookbooks and magazines and search for recipes with those meats. I add to my grocery list for the following to weeks anything I need to complete the recipes but I have an ample pantry so I usually have everything I need...definitely all the staples. Off growing season I will stop at the coop and pick up fruits and veggies I need for the recipes...during the summer I just go pick them...other then lemons, shallots and other stuff I don't grow. That said I have 4 days till I shop and it is looking like alot of potatoes, beans and rice till then.

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mandi-

Great minds think alike, eh? My fiance was shocked when I told him I needed carrots to make spagetti, but once he tasted it, he complains now if I don't put them in! I think adding veggies was once a pretty common place thing, but at one point our culture got away from including them in the meal.

For those on a budget, making a goulosh is a great way to make a huge filling meal. In my family we basically make our spagetti sauce, cook some elbow macaroni (a whole huge bag of it) an then combine the two. We let it sit until the sauce is really absorbed into the noodles. You can make this with as little as 1.5lbs of hamburger for a family of 6 and have enough for 2 meals. Just add as many veggies as you think you can get away with :)

Yum! I haven't made a good goulosh in a few years. I am actually really hungry for it now! LOL I remember eating goulosh until I about popped as a kid. I would even like to eat the left overs cold!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Alee - did you plan meals to go with your groceries that you listed? If so, would you post your menu plan? I am a day or so late posting for my challenge. I had a full weekend of play - went to the outlet mall in Woodburn Oregon with my DD and DIL on Saturday. DD is going to Ecquador for three weeks, so she needed some new stuff, = that took all day, then today we went out to breakfast and went to the Mariner's game. It was a great family weekend but now I'm behind on my stuff. Meal planning AND grocery shopping tomorrow I guess!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Great topic girls. I enjoyed reading all the posts...after I got home from the store. I'm not sure I have a goal for reducing our food bill, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Keep in mind it's just DD and I, no hungry guys here.

We spend about $30-$50 a week depending on what we need. This does not take into account what I spend at Costco, but this is primarily frozen chicken tenderloins and shrimp this time of year and not every month.

My biggest expense is dairy - milk, yoghurt, cheese, cottage cheese - $2.50 a 1/2 gallon for milk. Hopefully that will last DD the week.

I try to buy whats on sale and stock up on things we really like, so sometimes our bill is more. One thing I found helpful is to buy certain items at the 99 cent store. I don't see any reason to pay $2.50 or more for a small bottle of vinegar at the grocery when I can buy a gallon of it for a buck. I'm not brand loyal on things like condiments, canned beans, sugar, pasta, etc. I would rather pay $1.00 or 2for a $1.00 than the higher store price. Wal-Mart sometimes has good deals on staple items too.

The other thing I do is watch the clearance meat section at the store. I have gotten some really good deals on meat that I put in the freezer for later use. Today it was a pork shoulder roast for under $3.00. We'll make pulled pork with it. Add some baked beans and cole slaw and its the perfect summer meal. Plus there's always leftovers for lunch the next day.

now that it's hot out we make alot of salads - taco salad, grilled chicken salad, shrimp & avocado salad - cooler meals.

We have hens so sometimes we have eggs and toast, or cheezy ham & egg scrambles for dinner. We also raise a lamb for the freezer and that is about our only red meat. We only have lamb in summer if I feel like firing up the BBQ.

I figure what I save eating light in the summer I can spend for the more hearty fall and winter meals.

Anyway, great posts. I've gotten some really good ideas.

PS - One thing I decided to do is track all my spending for a month, just to see where my money is going. Maybe I'll be completely obsessive and itemize my grocery bill as well, just to see.
Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  04:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Meggie,
I think it is great you support your local IGA, even if they aren't the lowest prices all the time. I buy my books at a local independent bookstore, rather than a mega-bookstore. It is important to me to support my neighbors and have the money stay in the community, rather than be sent off to a big corporation.

Amy

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  06:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I am bad about spending to much at the grocery. My husband is a picky eater so that doesn't help. I used to budget my groceries but don't anymore. When my husband is home I can spend up to $200 a week, and by the way................... I DO NOT like taking him with me because he likes to put a ton of JUNK in the buggy. I would rather bake cookies and sweets because I know what is in them. I do like to go every now and then and just stock up on meat. Also, if there is a good sale on something we like to use I will buy extra. I am hardly ever totally out of food. There is usually something in there to eat! I used to have to budget it all when we first married and the girls were little, I did the coupons too, that helped a bunch.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Does everyone do their shopping "one stop" (i.e, buy all in one place)? I used to, but got gouged at our Kroger and Remke markets on meat, and it was always an inferior product. For my meat, I shop at this great little market, called Bessler's Economy Meat market. The name could turn some off, but they are their own butcher, and a great deal of their meat comes from their own farm, or someone they buy from. It cuts out the middle man, and I pay less for my meat, which is something, like most of us it seems, our husbands prefer at every meal. They also make their own store brand barbecue sauces, ketchups, cheeses, sausage, goetta and other items that I would normally buy at "Big Box _____", and they have good basics always--breads, pastas, grains, canned goods. I can usually do most of my shopping there, if I don't mind a choice between the major brand and one I'm not too familiar with. He also gets some really cool stuff on occasion--last week I bought hormone free/antibiotic and preservative free applewood smoke cinnamon crusted bacon (1 lb. pkg) $1.99. I bought 3 packages and froze 2. I also bought 2 pkgs. of Proscuitto with herbs for .99 a piece. I'd normally pay $4.00 for a similar pack at our Kroger.

I have to say, the garden has really saved me $$$$ this year. I would normally spend a lot on green beans and potatoes and for me, really, this season, my only expenses have been meat and dairy. Our milk is about $2.89 a gallon, and is supposed to go up ???!!! I've been trying to make things really last, like making large crockpot meals, and freezing leftovers.

Alee, plant potatoes!!!! We eat so much of them, and I haven't purchased a potato since May. What a savings, and they're sooo good!

Since I've started making my own cleaning products, I go to Target a lot less, so I've saved there, too. Now, if I could just find a shampoo to make

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  07:35:27 AM  Show Profile
I've found a great website with all sorts of grocery budget info. and even menus. It is www.thefamilyhomestead.com. Thought anyone might be interested.

Erin
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  07:37:21 AM  Show Profile
There's NOTHING better than new potatoes out of the garden - and there's so easy to grow!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:55:03 AM  Show Profile
OK time to post my menu and grocery list. I just realized that we will be gone for two weeks, starting Saturday, so it's time to use up whats in the fridge. That should make it a bit easier to save $$ this week, but make for some strange meals too!

Monday: maple chicken, cucumber salad, cooked grain mix, rolls, chocolate pudding
Tuesday: grilled salmon, rice pilaf, brocolli, leftover rolls
Wednesday: (the 4th!) sandwiches if DH and I go to the beach, BBQ burgers if we get tog. with
kids
Thursday: cheese omelets, biscuits
Friday: chicken nachos with avacado, sour cream, salsa
Saturday: on the road snacks, dinner out
Sunday: breakfast and lunch on the road (probably restuarant)

All I think I need to buy for this week is stuff for DH's lunch - everything else is on hand. DH is picky about his lunch, so I have to make sure his favorites are in there everyday - creature of habit.

Shopping list:
smoothies
organic bananas

Thats it!!
I'd make the smoothies, but then I"d need to buy yogurt, so might as well buy em this week.
When I get to Montana though, I'm gonna get slammed for groceries. Plus ice. We keep staples over there, but of course I'll have to buy all the fresh foods for two weeks. Still we'll save money most of this month on groceries I think. Good thing - 6 months car insurance is due on three vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  1:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Good question about 'one stop' shopping! It sure is convenient when you need to shop fast but.. I prefer to shop at little places where they know my name and i know they are doing they're best to give me the best food. I usually shop every couple days at the local IGA (I walk everywhere so I must do 'little shops'.) I also get all my bread and sweets (if I don't make them) from our village bakery. I wish! that we had a cheese shop or a butcher in town, but right now I get that stuff at the grocery. I try to avoid the big stores - but occasionally get the Costco bug and have to load up there.

One thing I miss about living in the big city is all the specialty shops. I had a separate store each for veg and fruits, bulk staples, meat, cheese etc. Everything was great quality and the people that worked there really knew their stuff if I had any questions.

What about you gals?

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We have a produce market here in town that carries a few specialty items. I need to shop there more. I always wonder how they stay open, but they seem to be doing okay. I also want to investigate the local butchers to see what their price on meats are. It would be great to get better cuts of meat for cheaper. I know the meat that I buy at the grocery store is 3rd rate meat (my fiance works at this particular store). I don't mind too much because we are on such a budget.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  3:36:44 PM  Show Profile
I tend to shop in more than 1 store, although the bulk of my shopping is in 1 grocery store but I also buy produce either at our Farmer's Market or our Henry's (like a whole foods). I also shop once a month at Sam's or Costco.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  3:37:31 PM  Show Profile
We just have one grocery store in Elma and I really don't like to go there if I don't have to. They don't have organic produce, just about all they carry that's organic is milk. I like to go to Olympia for my groceries - usually Costco and Fred Meyer, as FM has organics. When I get up north, I go to Marlene's market or PCC. Our younger daughter lived in Spokane last year, all year, when she was getting her masters at Eastern. She discovered Huckleberry's market, it was walking distance from her apartment. It was a great place to get organics, but a bit pricey. We always ate there while I was visiting though. Great deli.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I shop at different stores also, but the only one that's far is Costco and I only go there when I'm in that part of the county. Rarely do I make a special trip. I've printed out the soap and laundry detergent recipes and I'm looking forard to making a batch. See if we can cut a few dollars there. BTW - a friend who quilts recommended Orvice for washing quilts and other clothes. She said it only takes a teaspoon or so for a whole load and is much gentler on fabrics than regular detergent. Funny thing is - it's a sheep soap. Great at cutting through the lanoline. Anyone used this that can comment?

Reading some of the posts reminded me that at times I've also shopped at ethnic markets. Here in So Cal that means lots of latin markets. Funny thing is their meat, veggies and fruit are much less expensive. When I'm that direction I can pick up bananas and apples for less than 50 cents a pound or a case of magos for $3.00. And they have good deals on meat too. They also have good prices on spices because they come in bulk bags, not the little jars like the grocery store. Bad thing is their selection is limited to basic ingredients for mexican dishes, then of course chips, sodas and that junk, which I rarely buy. Food for thought
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  06:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Meggie, I do tend to shop that way (multiple stores)...I shop every couple of days (because I go to smaller stores and carry everything by hand, too), and I typically shop just after work or on my lunch hour at the local bakeries. The little grocer I mentioned is about 2 blocks from my office and I feel SOOO lucky about that!

Alee (and others)...I would recommend checking out an independent butcher or meat shop if you have one nearby. You may be surprised at the savings.

Downtown Cincy, we are lucky to have one of the oldest open air markets in country, Findlay Market (http://www.findlaymarket.org/). When I was younger, and living on my own, I would go there every Saturday morning and stock up. It's totally European in origin, and you can get anything you've ever dreamed of (or not--like a whole hogs head ). It was incredible!!! I always loved the bartering and the yelling of the produce venders and the hustling about. About 2 years ago, it sold for the first time ever, and some "management" company took it over, enclosed it, widenend the aisles, brightened up with "cool" lighting and now it's like yuppy heaven. Some of the same farmers that work my local farmers market USED to go, but the new owners jacked their rent up 300% and they couldn't afford to anymore.

I usually get my breads and extra veggies that I don't grow at our farmers market on Saturday morning. Lasts us all week long.

Someone tell me about Costco--is it like Sam's? My SIL talks about it all the time (she lives in Indianapolis). The closest one to us is about 50 minutes away up north. Is it worth it for 2 people?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  08:15:18 AM  Show Profile
We have a great butcher....family owned in our City for nearly 100 years!! They have the best best meats and I do shop there a lot!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

Yes, Costco is like Sam's Club. My fiance and I have a membership (or did? I think this might be the renewal month...) It costs $50 a year to join. If you go at least 3-4 times a year and spend $100-$300 a trip it can be worth it. You just have to watch the price per item or price per weight measurement. Sometimes it seems like a good deal and it is just as expensive as you can get elsewhere and sometimes it seems really expensive, but ends up being pretty cheap.

For example- we spent $15 on toilet paper a year ago and we are still working on using up that case. I think that was money well spent!!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  11:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Alee, did you see my post where I asked you to post some of the menu ideas that you're going to use with that shopping list you posted? If you have time, I'd like to see how you're going to turn those groceries into a month of meals! thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri!

Sorry I missed that post- here are some meals that I am going to make:

A small meatloaf- it will feed us for a dinner and maybe a lunch for me the next day
Cabbage burgers
The roast I bought I cut into 4 chunks, so we will have a roast each week
We are having the really expensive beef tenderloin tomorrow
I divided the chicken into bags with 6 legs in each bag- My finace can have 4 legs, and I can have 2 for each meal. I will make baked, BBQ and fried chicken through out the month
I will make spagetti
Baked lasagna
Cheese Ravioli with marinara sauce
Chili
I am going to do a bread baking every week and will also make muffins (plain, corn and blueberry) each week.
Cold Tuna Noodle Salad
Beef Stroganoff
Tacos
Gyros
Lentils and Rice
Black Beans and Rice

That is my protien and main dishes. I will also include anything from corn muffins, bread and butter, rice, or tortillas with each meal if they don't include a carb in them already. I also have lots of fresh bananas, canned peaches and pears and apple sauce on hand to make sure we get our fruit. I have canned peas, beans and corn to include with each meal to up our daily veggies.

I can make homemade tortillas, bread, muffins, cookies, and cakes for variation from the store bought things. I will post our dinners each night :)

Last night we had grilled chicken thighs with Thai rice (Rice cooked in coconut milk with curry seasoning topped with a mixture of red peppers, green peppers and onions.)

To day I am going to make cabbage burgers. We will eat these for dinner and eat them off and on for the next several days. They never last long in our house :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm always trying to cut corners on food and i've learned a lot since I was a young bride. Still always looking to learn. I suggest you guys first of all use up what you have already. I know that tomato looks pretty sad but you can make sauce out of it or brushetta or salsa! I'm getting hungry just thinking about this subject. Secondly, if you can, leave the kids and DH home. You already know to not shop when you're hungry and to PLAN meals instead of running into the store (or fast-food joint) after work. Having a goal helps a lot so this is a very wise thing to do. I also belong to some frugal websites where I pick up some great ideas for free. I don't use many coupons now that the kids are gone and Stu and I eat differently, but I used to be a coupon queen. Sometimes I cut my grocery bill in half! It takes planning - trying to double coupon when something is on sale, for example, but it is certainly worth the extra half hour it takes a week. I can remember cleaning out my coupon wallet of outdated ones while in the doctor's waiting room. Many times.

Learn to use your food and particularly leftovers in new ways. Don't let things mold until you have to throw them out just because you're not so enthusiastic about that salad that looked so good in the store. To supplement this thread, we can share ideas and recipies that are thrifty and will please the family. When all comes down to it, it's planning that will save us the most.

I really envy you girls with big gardens. I have one pea plant, one basil, one parsley and one strawberry (so far I think I've harvested four strawberries, but I savored them!) Even for us urban farmgirls, tho, the farmers markets are overflowing with local good stuff. Luckily here in Portland, we have a ot of local growers and farm stands. Why not buy produce when it's plentiful and cheap and can or freeze it. Strawberries taste very sweet in January even if they come from your freezer.

Right now, I'm pouring over Amish and Mennonite cookbooks for ideas. Talk about frugal. I'm not into butchering my own meat (I don't eat it much anyway. DH does, tho) but one thing I learned so far that will stay with me is using lard for pie crusts. We tried it (with a little butter for flavor) and will never go back to shortening. Flaky! Tender! Yum! (and cheap)

OK, I've gone on enough but I'm looking forward to hearing what everybody has to share.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile
I went shopping today with a number in mind and came in below it. I went to the market and the meat market. the meat market is not generally a trip...maybe once or twice a month, so it was a little more than we usually spend for groceries. I spent $112 at the grocery and $13 at the meat market. the groceries were actually a bit more than normal as well because there were a few specialty things on my list for festivities tomorrow, but I planned for it. I still came in less than what I had actually planned on...by almost $50! YAY!

ETA: that was for two weeks worth btw.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH

Edited by - GaiasRose on Jul 03 2007 12:52:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love this thread! I am learning lots and I hope some of my tips are helping too!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  1:56:29 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe I've not read this post before. I have cut our grocery budget from $100 a week to $60 a week (so far), but I used this cool online site called The Grocery Game (www.thegrocerygame.com). I pay for two stores' lists each week, which tell me the best deals and which Sunday coupons to use , to get the best prices. The person who makes the list tracks a 12-week cycle of grocery store sales for a given store and then is able to tell when things run on sale, within that cycle. The site can explain it more clearly. The list costs me $15 for eight weeks, and then I buy two papers each Sunday (2.50), so a total of $35.

The deal is, that you stock up on things when they are the cheapest, so you don't have to buy them full price just because you need them right then. For example, I have enough tubes of Crest to last the entire family the rest of the year- I got it ALL FREE, with the coupons. I have enough dishwasher detergent to last six months or so, at about a 60 percent discount off the regular price. I don't buy many things that I wouldn't already buy, and we eat meat every night of the week (I got $1 off each pack of beef I bought today because I bought A1, and I had $1 off the A1 as well). It is cheaper than going to the discount places like Sams and Costco, because of the coupons. I'm having to decide not to buy things that are good deals because I have enough of those things already.

Today, I bought $42 worth of food items at one of my two stores; I paid $8.

It's worth checking out. The trial period allows you to have lists for all the stores available in your area, for $1 for one month.

Kim in NC, who has to figure out where to put all this stuff now. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page