Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  3:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for showing us this incredible process! It is so exciting and fascinating how you have reused vintage stuff. I'm hoping you'll show us a room by room view when its finished. I understand the idea of a work in progress, we live in the house that we have been building, changing and gradually finishing over 30 years time.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Janice, it's beautiful. And that stove! I want it. Is it electric? I bet you are so happy to be getting the kitchen going. It really looks good. Thanks for showing us all the pictures.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  6:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Diane - no cabinet color yet. What do you think? Jonni likes the color of the woodwork with maybe a green trim on the spindles to match the green in the stove. What would you pick?

Susan - I salute you and all your work! Do you have any pics of your 'work in progress'? Have you kept a journal?

Kris - The stove is gas. I've always had old gas stoves. Love the way they cook. I just sold another old one in the antique mall. Just couldn't fit it in.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  04:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I have black cabinets that I rubbed out a little to show some wood on the edges. I love them and they would really show off your wood countertops and your old appliances. A mid-tone soft green would be pretty too! I used to do faux finishes and have painted a lot of cabinets in my days. I did one kitchen with the top cabinets a french green and the bottom ones black. I used a french waxing technique on them when I was done painting. Looks less shiny than poly and really seals the paint. Let me know if you need any other advice.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  07:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Diane. I had a thought about black, but I thought it would be too much. Maybe too dark. But on the other hand, I wondered if it would show off the colorful kitschy kitchen ware I've collected over the years. And I was thinking about green yesterday. I just don't want the kithen to get dark. Right now, the wall color, ceiling color and woodwork make it nice and light. Do you have any pics of your cabinets? Your advice is appreciated. What is french waxing? Is it difficult? I've done faux wall painting in the past, but nothing on wood. Thanks for your suggestions.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
Boy you have come a long way!! Love everything. The new floor is so pretty, well just everything. When its all done I think we can say its been well worth the wait.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Happy Birthday and I need a picture of the outside sometime.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Janice, when I get home from work, I will send you some pics and information. It is an old wives tale about color making things dark. I noticed your wall color was light and it would be a good contrast. I find that black makes everything stand out and looks really good with vintage kitchen wares. I also like it with wood, like your counter tops. You could also paint the upper cabinets a soft white and the lower ones black. It goes with everything and I especially like it with greens and reds. The waxing is easy-it is just like waxing a car but with furniture wax and you can buy it tinted or use it clear. I love it, I used it in my painted furniture business a lot. I don't like poly or varnish. The wax is very tough and stain repellent and every couple of years you just wax again. The old time furniture makers used it all the time. I will e-mail you tonight. I just adore your home.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  08:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yay! I'll be looking forward to the info! Sounds like the start of a fun adventure! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  09:15:53 AM  Show Profile
WOW! What an adventure you are on! I love all the update photos and am so excited for you! What a wonderful job you all are doing! That lovely farmhouse is feeling your love for sure! Congratulations on all your accomplishments so far! Can't wait to see what you all do next on the house!

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Nancy Jo - Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'll take outside pics when the weather warms up and things don't look so muddy/slushy. And all the outdoor furniture isn't piled up on the porch!
We're almost finished with the insulation. Then comes drywall on the old part. I'll try to take pics of the master bathroom this weekend. It's almost finished.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
The master bathroom is almost finished! I took a few pics of our progress. Still need the water heater hooked up and the water turned on. The plastic cover on the tub is a little dusty...not removing it until the work is done, though.

These are the two console sinks and the 1920's look toilet. We're not quite finished with the beadboard around the walls.
This is the clawfoot jetted tub.

The chandelier is in the center of the room and the vintage one is in the washer/dryer/in the wall old ironing board area. You can see the outline of the ironing board in the wall behind it.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Love it, Janice!!! It's so pretty--the light fixtures are great, and the blue in the master bath is so refreshing!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  08:54:43 AM  Show Profile
You got the same tub and fixtures I did! Only my feet are brushed nickle. I love soaking in that tub!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
That looks wonderful. I can't believe how far this has come along. I remember when you first bought the property. You are going to have a real showplace. I wouldn't want to ever leave home. Pretty soon you will be planting your flowers and sitting on the porch. Well you know sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Janice, how awesome! I have that same ceramic tile in my kitchen! I love it, it goes with everything. My camera is broken when it is fixed I will send you some pictures of my cabinets. I also will try and find pictures of some of the other cabinets I have done for clients. Keep up the amazing work!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Diane. No hurry on the pics. I'm still in the thinking about it stage.

Nancy Jo - Temps close to 70 today. :) Thinking about flowers now. Are Jack and Dave awake yet?

Melina - I'm looking so forward to soaking in my tub. The day is coming!

Jonni - Hi, girl!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  11:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow Janice! What a treat for you to share your journey with us! I have been admiring an old farmhouse that I drive by often that is run down and needs love an attention. Maybe one day it will come up for sale and I will buy it and use your journey as inspiration to restore it!

Thanks again for sharing!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  7:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I hope it comes up for sale for you, Debbie. It's hard work, but we had no experience before we started. It's doable. And very rewarding. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile
*takes my breath away!*

I love that master bath! Thank you so much for posting all of this!

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the compliment, Emily. We've not been able to work on it for the last couple of months. I'm itching to get back to work. I'm ready to leave the city for the peace and quiet. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Janice
I've missed this thread!
Love the bath!
Are those chandeliers in the bath??? I am jealous. Our baths are so dinky, you can barely turn around.
Miss you al! I am ready for an outing!
Tell sweet David I said HI!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Lisa! Are you ready for Burlington in April???? I heard from Wilma last night and she's planning to go! It's the third sunday in April. I'm soooooo ready! :) And yes, both those chandeliers are in the bathroom. This huge bathroom is my revenge for all my years of my own dinky bathrooms. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile
that is just beautiful!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Bee Haven

This is an example of the woodwork and a transom over the door. The white streaks are little 'presents' left by the barn swallows who used to nest in the house.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Angela. And welcome to the forum! :) We hope to get drywall in that part of the house this spring/summer.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page