Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Bouncing around like popcorn!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bouncing around like popcorn! Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile
We've fine-a-ly got to the point where we can start looking for land and went out yesterday and found something that we really love while just out for a country drive! It's all trees right now and rather rugged with a small meadow but we think it'll be wonderful to live in a meadow with trees all around. I'll have to clearsome to make pastures for my mini cows that I'm going to breed,l but I'll not lack for winter wood

We are calling the real estate agent to set up an appointment to go walk around on it and I'm excited, anxious and a bit worried that I will have too much to handle on my own with my sweetie being gone all day to work. But in the end, what ever land we end up with I'll put on my big girl boots, tuck up my apron and handle it.

I REALLY want this property, I'm not sure my hubs wants me to spill the beans too much as things are still way up in the air and we may not get it. We don't want to tell friend and family that we're out farm hunting just yet, we've got a lot of decisions to make and we don't want all of the advice and 'help' but I'm bouncing off the walls!! Hopefully within the year, we'll have property to start working on so that we can plop a house or manufactured or what ever down and move in.

No matter what, the hunt is on!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful, Annika. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  3:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Hope it all works out! Just remember a couple of things ...long dirt driveways require maintenance ...fill, grading and ditches and culverts. Secondly, if you live in a snowy area, it has to be plowed.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Annika,
I love your farm girl spirit "...put on my big girl boots, tuck up my apron and handle it." And I know you will. I can see holding off a little sharing this with nearby family and friends till you know more, but we are with you early or late, understanding the dream and excitement.
Best wishes. If it works out, it was meant to be!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6601 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6601 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Annika, enjoy the journey! We will enjoy hearing how it all works out over the next year!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  5:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Annika,
That is so exciting. Wishing you
lotsa luck!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile
How exciting---You go girl!!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  08:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Lorena ~ Don't you know it. We currently live up a long dirt access road into my landlord's property. We are constantly working on the sucker, but it was poorly designed in the first place. I cannot stress the importance of a well designed drive or road! And it's a beast to plow in the winter because of the excessive drift that we get out here on the Palouse. Then there will be putting in the road, leveling the house site, digging a well, running electricity out to the site...It's going to be a couple of years of work before we could even move out there if we buy it.

But it'll be ours!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  04:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Our road is dirt but it's owned by the township (townships in Maine are run by the state because there is very little population in them) and the road work is contracted out. They can only do what the state says they can. A few times a year dh will do some minor repairs (rock rake, pot hole fills, etc) but he doesn't have the equipment to maintain it nor does he really want to do it. It's a matter that we live at the very end and have to yet in and out somehow. The road needs severe ditching and fill brought in but due to the state budget there's no money. My town has 20 some odd people in it so the dirt road isn't a priority,.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bouncing around like popcorn! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page