Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I love, love, LOVE your house. I live in Louisville also (lots of us KY girls here) and I drag hubby and kids to old houses but dh refuses to buy one because of the plumbing, electrical, etc. I do have my eye on this 200+ year old farmhouse (stone!) in Oldham County but they want $250k+ for it and it is half gutted so it would be another 250k to finish.

I would love to come see your farmhouse sometime.

Wonderful job.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Eww, this sure brings back some memories for me. We bought our houses 4 1/2 years ago. The inspector gave us his "book" of all the repairs that needed to be done and said we may want to reconsider this place. Really, the book was big! But when I first saw this place, it said HOME to me. It had been empty far several years and the little lady had no children to help her with it after her husband died in early '90's. When I first walked in the living room I could bounce on the floors like a trampolene! All the joists were rotten. Termite damage all over. We had to do lots of work on the little house to live in it while we totally gutted this whole house. It took 5 months to get it livable in here. And we're still working on it! It never ends, does it?

Right at this moment there is nothing in the dining room. We're having it done this week and all new windows put in. He should be done by next Tuesday!!! Then that will be the last room done! I'll have to start all over again now. We actually have done most of the work but not the major things. We had a whole new upstairs added in the attic last year and hired all that work done. The same guy is doing the rest of the work this week.

Looking forward to more pictures of your place!! How much more do you have to do to yours now?

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn - Count on a trip to Irvington in the spring to see our 'Money Pit'. :) It's not extremely old, but like Kristin, it said 'Home'(or maybe 'Help me, please') when we struggled our way through it with the realtor.

Kristin - I understand and feel your pain. And I salute you! :D Lastly, No, the work never ends. But sometimes, I think the journey has been and become such an important part of what I do and who I am, I'm not quite sure what would happen if I DID finish. I think this project has come to sort of define me. It certainly has taught me things I never thought I could do. Have you posted any pics of yours? I'd love to see some. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  3:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey Janice, I would love to post pics, but alas, I have dial-up right now. I went ahead and did the photo bucket but I can't figure it out. The phone co. is supposed to be putting up a tower out here in the "outback" for all us back woods folks, so I'll just wait for that.

I have taken before and after pics and will continue so I can show off my money pit soon! You've probably spent way more than us, but we're right around 50k so far and ain't done yet.

They got the Sheet rock up today and mudded. So we're on the way!! The hardest part for me is picking out paint colors. It usually takes me months to do. Then I'm never satisfied.

BTW, you never are totally, completely ever finished with an old house. So don't worry about that!

Remodeling on, Kris
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  05:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm so excited for you about the drywall! And I totally get the paint color thing. I only WISH I could afford to do what all those remodeling shows/articles tell you to do.....BUY a pint and try it on a wall.....sure....that would take about $100.00 per room to finally decide. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janice, I can just see you trying to decide. How fun to read your progresses.
It doesn't matter what size your home or what you are doing, there is always something going on.....or is this cause my dad was a wood shop teacher and loved remodeling, when house was close to done, we would move....lol.

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  2:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's funny, Carol Sue. But I just don't have another move left in me! LOL! I'm too old and I've put too much blood, sweat and tears into this old house. Yesterday was the perfect weather day here.....high of 69 degrees(32 today-:D). I worked all day on insulation - boom box blasting-got a lot done-it was just like a springtime day!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  9:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, how nice of it to cooperate to let you get that done!!!!!
We are buried under snow and more snow and another storm. Tomorrow is dig out day again...lol. Yippeee, you are slowly but surely getting there and I don't think after all that work you have done there that I would have one more move left in me either.....grin.....

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  07:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Janice....great to see this post active again! I love reading about all you gals working on your homes! I have gotten little done except Christmas cooking, cleaning, wrapping and baking since most of the kids were coming here for Christmas BUT big storms up North so now it doesn't look likely! Oh well....maybe I can get some painting done or some improvement over the Holidays!
Happy Home Improvement to all and to all a great Christmas/Holiday season! Oh, and New Years Day I sit down and plan the "projects" for the next year! LOL! I'm afraid many of them may be the same ones from last year though! Oh well! Hugs to all!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  5:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Sam! Happy Holidays to you, too! That project list sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll try that. I'm planning to install more insulation this Friday and Saturday, b/c the temps are foredast to be in the low 60's. Very strange weather here. Carol Sue - I've been seeing Seattle on the news every day. You guys are getting hammered with snow! ICK! Come on down here and help me insulate...LOL...you can leave your jacket and snow shovel at home!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  10:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Trust me Seattle has no snow compared to what we have. Right now we are sitting at 36 inches and our average is 45 a year. We got 24 inches in over 24 hours last Wednesday and it has been storm after storm since then.
It is a wee bit crazy, we will have a major white Christmas.
60!!!!! the idea of helping you and leaving my snow shovel behind is sounding really tempting to say the least. I would love to spend a week down there doing what I could to help you with the farm. I think that would be so awesome cool. Yep, sounds like an amazing vacation to me. I know and oddball aren't I!!!!! LOL

You girls have a Merry merry Christmas!!!!!!

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  07:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray! Finally some drywall in the new addition. Took a week for the rains to stop long enough for delivery.

Three grown men and one young boy got all the drywall up in the 1200 sq. ft. addition in one day!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn187/janicehall/
I wish I could speak the same language as the contractor guy. We just don't communicate. I took off a week from work. On Monday, the drywall was delivered. On Tuesday, the drywall went up. Then on Wednesday, nobody showed up. But at 1:00 in the afternoon, I got a phone call from him and he said all the leftover drywall pieces and the extra they had stacked up and leaned on the walls had to be picked up for the finish guys on stilts to be able to work. So I assumed(wrong) they would be coming the next day. So for five hours in 95 degree heat, I schlepped(pushed,pulled,dragged and carried from the second floor) these piles of trash.

Then I moved all the big sheets against the walls and took them upstairs to the only remaining blank wall in the old house.

Then I waited for them to come the next day.....and the next day.....
Nothing. And eventually, I heard from them. We're trying for next Thursday and Friday and the week after that. Oh, well. I think I lost three pounds last week. But I'm still tired! :)

PS: Here's the only problem I had with the drywall installers. Under this arched glass block window, there is/was another window. It is/was rectangular in shape and fits snugly against the arched one. Unlike the arched window, it opens. From side to side. And creates a nice breeze in the bathroom...So I took a magic marker and wrote across the drywall: Window under here. Please uncover
I just hope they didn't damage it.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jul 01 2009 10:30:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  3:53:13 PM  Show Profile
How exciting.And- All your new windows look so nice!!!
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Nancy Jo. I still can't believe those guys, on the hottest day of June, drywalled over an open(yes, open and with a nice breeze coming in) window! :O It's a lot darker in there, too.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  4:14:21 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to see it! I will gladly make the trip from Louisville.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  6:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just hate drywall? Ugh! And it is so heavy and awkward to carry and move, too. Poor thing. I bet you were tired. But aren't you going to be so happy when it's all done? I know the waiting is the hardest part, but it will get done and you will be having to paint next. I love that window. I can't believe they covered it up. What were they thinking?

So how long have ya'll been working on this house now? And are you going to be living in it or selling it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We've been working on it off and on for about 8 years. And we'll be moving there. And yes, was worn to a frazzle, kristin. :D The guys on stilts start the finish work this Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that they show up! LOL! I'm trying to decide on paint colors now. I picked up some color charts from Lowe's and Home Depot and I'm not finding colors that inspire me much.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  12:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh girl, look all that you are getting done. And you carried that pile in what tempatures. Good gravy, you had your very own sauna in your clothes!!!!!!
It looks great.
Hey go around your house and find colors that you might like on your walls. It can be from towels, or a pair of pants. They can match a lot of those colors if you take them in. If they don't have the right colors maybe you can find them in your house and have them made up for you. Just a thought......

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  08:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Janice! That is wonderful news! I can't wait for more pictures!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday, the cabinet maker met us at our farmhouse with the kitchen cabinets we hired him to make. It was my birthday, so this was a great present! It was back in early November(before the ongoing ice/snow daily events and when the sun still shone on our old Kentucky home) when I first gave him sketches. Here are a few pics:

This is the old porcelain sink we found discarded. He made it this cool base. I'll be painting all the cabinets. Any color suggestions are gladly received. :)

Glass door wall cabinets with counter/drawers/shelves. The counter is a nice maple one. My dh found the turned spindles at the US 60 yard sale last summer.

This is the bottom part of a large hoosier type affair. The top part is wall mounted. He added this to bring it up even with the stove. It was really too low before. Another nice maple surface. There is a bread board and a long drawer that go in the two open spaces
This is the top part.
This vintage cabinet will be my version of an island. He made the next bookcase/maple work surface to be attached at the back of it.
Next is my stove:
And one of three 1930's monitor top refrigerator's I have. Need to decide which one fits best.
Finally, here are the hard working guys who made it happen:

Love them!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 26 2011 12:20:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile
It's totally amazing, Janice! I can't wait to see it all painted and shiny! Then we're going to come down and cook for you!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray, Jonni! Cooking! Hopefully, the rest of the drywall in the old part will be done and maybe we can actuallly sleep there! Almost have to shoot off fireworks when that day gets here! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile
That would be so cool! I can't wait. And yes, mandatory fireworks!!!! AWAY from the house, though!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  12:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, far, very far, away. If David can drive the tractor close enough to damage the siding(that's almost why I had that huge deck put between the man, his tractor and the house), he could sure do damage with close up fireworks!! :O

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Janice, what a labor of love. I adore everything! Did you decide on a cabinet color yet?

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page