Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Sandra. I find myself talking to the poor doomed bugs when they fly into my paint job at any time. LOL! I feel bad for them. It was too hot last Friday to paint-over 90. But this Friday is forecast to be much better, so I'm hopeful. ;)

PS-I sent the book out yesterday.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Yep, too hot here to paint too, hoping for some days where it is a bit cooler, want to paint my bedroom. Will pray you are getting cooler to get that project done....

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  08:52:04 AM  Show Profile
YES....it is cooler and has been for a week but canning has took precedence but today should be good to go for some outdoor painting! I already got the paint so for once I was thinking ahead...Janice...was it you that sent me the book, right? It is GREAT! Loving every minute of it,...what a hoot! Reminds me if when we first got our farm....I should write a book about that....also terribly funny! Am I supposed to send it to the name and address that was included in the book?
Ah....wishing us all a cooler , productive day!
Oh....did you happen to read my post about the old Victorian house I want to buy in my home town? I have to sell this one first though....I hope the other one sticks around while I do...it is PERFECT for me and right where I want to live with a gorgeous view and in my price range...can u beleive it?!?!? SO...the race is on to sell this one FAST! I will post this house when I get a chance to take some pics.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Got my fingers crossed for you, Sandra! Glad you like Aunt Jenny's book. The wife sure did a ton of work, didn't she? I would have liked to hear the story from her perspective, too. LOL! I guess just send it back to Jenny. I don't know if anybody else asked for it.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes...she was a worker but had a great attitude...but I've been canning lately and in the book she was canning and then he went and bought all those fruit trees with his neighbors and those guys couldn't understand why the wives weren't as enthusiastic...they REALLY didn't "get it".....amazing...I guess never having had brothers I am constantly amazed at how different the thought process is between men and women! The dots are all there they just can't seem to connect them! LOL!
It is a great book though and yes....her side of it would have been even funnier I bet!
Well....I better get going and get some of that paint slapped on before winter! Good to hear from you and how's the farm and camper coming? That camper is so darn cute! and of course I love your house! When are you planning on moving in? I wish I could buy that other house and take my time too although it is 9 hours away I could at least get this one done properly and go through things that would or wouldn't go in the other house should I get it. Anyway...action is what's going to get me there! So...I'm off!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Sandra, what is the name of the book, you certainly have my curiosity Finally cool enough for me to paint in the bedroom.
Here is to hoping you get the painting done and it sells quick for you to get the house of your dreams.....

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Carol...In the Land of MIlk and Omelets...I hope I got it right. I sent it back to Aunt Jenny already otehrwise you could ask her and I would have sent it on to you. I can't remember the authors now....it was the husband that wrote it...and we all know why now....the wife had NO time...she was so busy and got so much done on that farm it made me tired just reading it! LOL! But it was a great book and fun to read for sure! You could look in your library and/or Amazon used...it's an older book...written in the early 50's I think but pretty relevant today also. Let me know if oyu get it and what you thik of it!
Ouch! I have sore finger and it hurts to type with that finger...a darn hangnail! They're a pain like paper cuts...so small yet they really let you know they are there!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yep, it's time for insulation!

This rolled insulation is going in the walls of the new part of the farmhouse. The stuff comes in 8'rolls, five of which are rolled around each other in a large roll. Then three of these gigantic rolls are mashed together and sort of shrink wrapped together with strong plastic. It sort of jumps out at you when you slice it open! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Major Mike(on ladder) and my dh David fine tune some plumbing pipes.

Can you tell that this is a stack of skinny cabinets on top of each other? They are the kind that would be over a fridge. I bought a bunch cheap and piled them up. I'm going to put a base cabinet underneath and nail the whole thing together(after sanding/painting them all) and this is going to be a built in linen storage unit in a 'dead' space in the downstairs bathroom.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message

This is in a wall in the old house(it takes too long to write 'old part of the farmhouse', so I'm not going to do that anymore-LOL). I call this 'bird bale' insulation. It's found anywhere in the walls from years of birds building nests in there when it was abandoned.

Old metal bed I bought at a church parking lot sale for $50.00

Rails on the upstairs landing in the old house:

Another pic of my two door monitor top fridge

Just love the design of this refrigerator. :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Here is another project that's lurking out there...just waiting for me to get around to it....this stack of wood has some salvaged wood and a lot of woodwork we pried off the walls what seems like eons ago. I'll be cleaning/stripping/refinishing it. It isn't the only stack of wood in the old house.....

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Janice- Did you go with the eco-friendly insulation or the conventional insulation?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Alee - I'm installing the conventional insulation in the new house and I'm hoping to be able to get the 'green guy' I met a while back to come out and spray insulation into the old house walls. I flatly refuse to remove the old lathwork(we stripped the bad plaster all off a long time ago) and the green guy was guardedly optimistic about being able to spray and deal with the lathwork. The other guys(not so green) pretty much don't want to go to the trouble of dealing with it. So bah humbug on them! :( We're ahead of schedule on paying off the HVAC, so I'm really optimistic about affording the green spray in insulation!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Nov 17 2008 07:57:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile
It is really fascinating to read this thread and see this project really come to life. I do not know how you are doing all this work!!!! I admire you gal. Just looking at that stack of wood to be refinished made me have a head-ache! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Three cheers for the green guy being willing to work with the old lathe!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile
Janice...it's great to see this post out there again! Wow! You guys/gals have been working! As for the woodwork stripping...I bought some stuff that you put on and it is either white and turns green when ready or vice-versa but it has no fumes, can be done inside and you can go a little at a time. I got it at QVC but I'm sure it is available elsewhere and I'm sorry to say I have not used it yet so I can't testify to it's performance.
You refrigerator is gorgeous! Does it work? I have an old frig in my garage and it freezes everything bu tnot enough that I can use it for a freezer. It's great for cold Corona's which it doesn't freeze but American beer it freezes since it does not have as much alcohol content as Corona. Anyway, did you get yours fixed? DDid it always work? Is it electric or do you have to put "ice" in it! LOL! Aren't these old appliances energy hogs? Although I have some enery "efficient" NEW appliances and I have not seen my bills go down! That railing is beautiful! And the cupboards for your kitchen....AWESOME!!!!!
I was ironing Sunday and turned on the t.v. and watched the movie "The Notebook" and you need to watch it since not only is it a tear-jerker but the guy fixes up an old plantation and it is REALLY dilapidated when he starts....I wish the whole movie could have been about that plantation! It reminded me of your place. I have gotten a lot of cleaning and clearing done around here and even rented a booth at the local flea market which has been a godsend! It's only 5 minutes away and I don't have to be there so I just price and take stuff up there and when it doesn't sell there it is going to a local mission and it it's something really pricey then I sell it on Ebay so this has been really helpful for a little extra money and immediate clearing out! Great to hear from you and see what you guys are up to....when is the moving date?????????
Hugs girlfriend!

Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Sam!!!!! What's the name of the woodwork stripping stuff you bought? Is it 'green'? I've heard about stripper that is chemical free. I really need to use something like that. I've used the bad stuff for years and it's hard to breathe that junk. :(

Yes, the monitor top works like a charm. And it's actually very cheap to run. When GE came out with it in 1927, they spent a million dollars to advertise it. It runs very quietly, it will go flat against a wall because the motor is on top and it doesn't use a lot of electricity. It was ahead of its time. And the design rocks my socks! LOL! PS - The Waltons had one, too! ;)

The Notebook sounds like a movie I need to see. The Money Pit is the one I usually compare us to.

We are both Corona fans!!!!! How funny!!!!! I call it my 'summertime brew'. It's like grown up lemonade for me. LOL In the winter, every once in a while, I like a nice extra dark Guinness Stout. It's the Irish in me. :D

I'm glad you're having luck with the flea market. It is nice to have a little extra 'butter and egg' money every month.

I've given up predicting a moving in date.....But spring 09, when part three of the three part HVAC experience happens, somebody will have to be living on the property. When the heat pumps are installed on concrete pads outside the house, I can't afford to have them stolen because the house looks empty.

I stay out there on some weekends in the house trailer now. I crawled under the trailer and wrapped the plumbing pipes that weren't wrapped(boy, that was an experience! Crawling...passed a dead petrified bird, a skeleton of an unknown small animal, tons of spider webs.....ugh! so I'm hoping no pipes will break because the heat is off during the week.
Hugs back atcha! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
It is fun to watch this process as you share it with us.
What a treasure you found under the trailer - Uggh!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile
I went down in the basement and actually found it.....miracles never cease around here! The name of the stripper is READY-STRIP (I'm readin off the container now)...odor free, environmentally friendly, and water cleanup. It is made by a company called Back To Nature. It says "as seen on T.V." and a safer way to strip paint and varnish. You put it on and it is green and when it is ready it turns off-white so you know. It still says to keep away from children and provide adequate ventilation but it is "NO DRIP" too....Google it....I am sure there are other places to get it besides QVC...once again...I have not tried it yet so I can't vouch for it's performance but it's got to be better than the old way!
Gotta run....daughter and Sam (namesake grandson 1 1/2) are coming tomorrow from Iowa...I am SO excited! But I have miles to go before I sleep! Talk to you again soon! I drink Black Barts in the winter when it is cold...I'll tell you about them later!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  1:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ok, Sam, thanks! I'll check out Ready Strip. After the insulation, I'm planning to start on refinishing doors this winter. Enjoy your company and Happy Thanksgiving! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  04:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, Janice, new pictures, I love it and with new pictures means there is progress on the farm. How exciting for you two. Love the one of Dave and working away there. Oh, I do not like finding "treasures" when crawling around to insulate those piepes. Heat tape is our friend here!!!! LOL

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  06:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, heat tape is a sort of expensive friend right now, girl. ;) And since we don't live there full time, I was worried that some electrical thing might go wrong and nobody would be there to notice. Maybe when we move there full time. I was there yesterday, and the water didn't come on in the trailer at first. I was sweating for sure...after all that work...but finally, a trickle started and I turned on all the taps a little, and everything started working again! I was very grateful for that! I'm going to ask Mike about doing more insulation in the pump house.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  10:45:18 PM  Show Profile
nuts, I guess I automatically think of it because of where we live. I wonder if the prices are the same from here to there.
If you ever need it and we are less expensive then we shall work a deal girl!!!!!
Oh my gosh, I was holding my breath when I read that about your water....shhooiiieee girl.

Farmgirl #39
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  05:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Keep your fingers crossed for me on Thursday, girl. I'm planning to spend the night, but I'd like to have water and plumbing. I don't mind using the outhouse, but I can't bring myself to go out in the dark.....I'd really like to have a hand pump put on the well someday, so when the electricity is out, I can still get water.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2008 :  06:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Janice and Whoopee! Thanksgiving on your place! How cool is that?!?!?!
I am recovering from a sore back...the result of lifting the wiggling 16 month old! I am always lifting but the things I usually lift do not wiggle! I'll be fine but I will have a quiet Thanksgiving with no turkey unfortunately...I was so busy getting ready for my daughter and cooking for them that I didn't think of myself and my Thanksgiving....oh well....but all the talk on t.v. is making me hungry for turkey and all the trimmings! Maybe Walmart is open?
Have a great one all of you that read this post and especially to you Janice, my friend!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page