Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
There was no termite damage, Sandra. Even as bad as our house looked at the beginning(you can see how horrible it seemed to be), we had a friend look at it for 'good bones'. He said that, structurally, the main part was sound. There were two rooms at the back of the house that weren't, though. We took them off and kept the rest. Is there someone who could look at it for you? It might be worth it to even hire someone, just to see how bad the termite damage is. We stripped the old part of the house totally(old, warped clapboards off the front) and old, chalked plaster off the walls inside. We originally bought 10 acres and the house for $35,000. We couldn't get insurance on the house. Nobody thought of it as a 'house', even. But we couldn't afford to buy land with a house on it, and when we found out this was salvageable, we took a chance. It's been little by little, salvaging(we took lots of wood from the two room part and saved whatever we could to reuse). That little by little thing is huge for me. If I think or ever thought about it all at once, I get overwhelmed. But like the old tortoise, one step at a time, and we're getting there. And also, all my relatives and friends here in town, thought I was crazy and this was impossible.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Janice

I really wish I had seen this and talked to you before we did work on our house. I think we made some mistakes that are going to cost us. Our house also had good bones, mostly. We do still have to fix the foundation and that is something that I think we probably should have done first. We just loved the house so much we sort of blindly went for it. Not really that bad I guess...we had an instinct about it based on living in old houses and renovating in NJ. this has been vastly different though. In stead of ripping out the old plaster, we build new walls in front of it. First we did rip out the bad dry wall repair job. Laid very thin dry wall over the damaged original walls and then mud sand mud sand mud till they were even. We had someone do this for us and it was expensive but the walls in the living room and stairs are now beautiful again. In another room with really bad crumbling walls, we laid large wall paper size sheets or spackle netting on the walls and smoothed it with multiple layers of spackle mud. These walls are not as even and smooth. They have a more rustic look which I like. I think in the upstairs rooms, we will rip out the old walls first and then rebuild them. I think it will be less work ultimately and better results and Less cost.

The biggest mistake we made was with the siding. The old aluminum siding was ripped off but there was old clapboard covered with stucco on the first floor level. We did not remove this and there were and still are a lot of problems with the new siding. I finally gave up the idea of using new wood siding in favor of a vinyl siding that looks like cedar shake and Hardyboard composite trim. The contractor did a very bad job partly because of lack of skill but also because the house is just so out of plumb like so many old houses. It is still not done. We are at a standstill till we figure out what to do next. We also had the metal roof ripped off and replaced but that too is not finished, waiting on the siding to be done....We also ripped off an added on cinderblock bathroom that was just a mess and a "tunnel" type thing connecting the house to the summer kitchen house in back. All in all I think the house is solid. It can be overwhelming and little by little is the way to go. We had to live in it the first summer and winter so our first priority was safe electricl system and insulation plus a heating system that we could afford. There are no ducts in the house and no way of putting them in invisibly or at least out of the way so we opted for propane stoves. One up and one downstairs. I have been really pleased with the heat they provided combined with the insulation.

For cooling we opened up several windows that had been sealed and covered over by the siding so every room has windows on all sides. The breezes through the house have been wonderful so far.

I also wonder if we paid too much for our property but by our NJ real estate property perspective it was an unbelievable bargain. 14 acres with the house as it was for $140,000. We still owe half of it. Our plan was to sell our two houses in NJ and not have a mortgage here. One house sold and one is still on the market. We have one year left on our bridge loan. I pray that my NJ house sells soon. The only way we can continue with our dream here is to not have a mortgage to pay. We need to both dedicate our work hours to the farm work.

Well that's more of my story. Hope that gives you some food for thought to Sandra.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile
You gals are absolutely incredible! I am so proud to be among you all as what I would call "REAL" women! I am going to try and get in touch with the owner first and see if she is even willing to sell it and then go from there. But you are both right...if she will, I need to have someone knowledgable come in and examine it so at least I know what I might be in for or if it is even salvagable...."looking good" from my perspective probably has nothing to do with it having "good bones" and I have RA so God knows I don't have good bones so would I even recognize them if I saw them? LOL! Thanks so much for your info and I am subscribed to this topic for sure! Right now I am fixing up a house I inherited from my folks and it definitely has good bones cuz my Dad was a builder and he built it but it needs landscaping and re-decorating and it is way too big for me.....3200 square feet and it is just me, myself, and I...nice house if you like big, sprawling ranch types but I am more the "diamond in the rough" rural farmhouse type.
So, again, thank you for inspiring the rest of us! And I will let you know what I find out.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  12:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Luna - plumb???? What is that concept????? LOL! I still remember the Tool Shed rental man saying "It doesn't have to BE plumb,just give the ILLUSION of plumb! HAHAHA Believe me, the floors in the old house are far from plumb! If I rolled a marble in the old house dining room, it would just travel through the new kitchen and hit the back wall! ROFLOL! I just tell myself it's going to be like living in any one of the historic homes here. They are all like that. Maybe we can adjust for some of that when we do flooring in the old part. We went with vinyl siding, too. That was quite an adventure. None of us had done that before. We found one guy who used to work with/for Mike who bragged he knew tons about it. So we got him to help us. Bought two thousand dollars worth of siding. Gathered at the farmhouse one sunny Saturday fall day. And waited for him to let loose his wisdom and 'show us the way'. And waited.....and waited....and waited...After the first day, and getting one course of siding on the bottom of the house(only the old part then - new part came later), Mike, my dh and I talked it out and decided the other guy had to go. That left us with enough experience to fill a thimble. But good old Mike managed to figure out how to progress and the house does give the illusion of level. Adding the new part did a lot to help that illusion. I'll see if I can find an old photo to post - you'd be amazed at the result.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, plumb...it's an illusive concept, isn't it! Sort of like level, square....Your floors sound just like mine. Every piece of furniture in the house is stuffed with shims on the front legs. I've learned that this is standard procedure. I've seen the design feature in the many antique shops in old buildings I've been in. It's my badge of honor!

The siding adventure for us continues. We would have been better off doing it ourselves and will probably end up tearing a good deal of it off and starting over. Windows are another issue. We bought all new windows (yeah we are nuts) and after this guy put them in we had to go back and redo all the insulation from the inside cause he didn't do it and then later we found out that he did not put in flashing behind the trim to prevent water leaking through. We will probably have to redo that ourselves too. How did you do your windows?

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Here's a pic of the house as we found it:

No windows, just big gaping holes where stuff blew in. In fact, we spent the first summer just shoveling junk(leaves, clothing, dirt, etc.) that was knee deep everywhere out by the bucket load. The original window openings went nearly to the floor. If we had kept to that original model, the windows would have to have been a special order. I didn't have the money to do that, and I really didn't want windows to the floor, anyhow. So we bought these fromt the same company we got the siding from:
I think they're 84" tall. On the new addition, we used several windows we bought from a company in our area that sells 'odd size', 'mistakes' and 'refused by customer' really cheap. I bought a nice window greenhouse and a big bay window there. On the back of the new addition, we only have three windows. They look the same as the ones on the front, but if you measure, they would be a little bit wider. We got them from the odd lot company for 50.00 each. Mike and my dh installed them. Mike had to reframe the original openings to make them smaller.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Janice...that house is SO COOL! I am drawn to old, run-down places like a moth to a flame! What is it about these places? Maybe the history, the heritage, or just us trying to recreate a simpler time on this planet (or so we think)? Anyway...I adore it and what a setting too...and what's that cute little tree/bush in the front yard? LOL! Looks like he/she is staring up at that big house saying "I better get growin'" Ha! Ha!
Thank you so much for the pictures...I'm going to print some off especially the original....so I can have it in front of me...a kind of visualization of what I want. I'm making a "dream" board of what I want in my life with pictures and your "before" house picture is going up there!
Plus...that kitchen! You are so awesome...I really have never liked those "new" or newer kitchens with all the matching cabinets and laid out by a professional....OH! I just remembered, my ex was a kitchen designer...maybe that's why...anyway..never have sat well with me but your furniture pieces for your kitchen...perfect! I can't wait to see that when it's done. There was a woman in town here who had an old Magic chef stove on legs and it was electric and still worked and she wanted $450.00 I think and it was in cherry condition. But I have a stovetop and built in oven and although I thought of storing it until I could redo the kitchen or use at my down-the-road farmhouse.....I declined but I still have her number I think if you want to run over here and get it...it would probably cost you more in gas though! LOL! Actually not funny....but true!
Thanks again...you all motivate me to get this place remodeled, and on the market so I can get on down the road to my very own farmhouse!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  09:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I guess we're just stuck in the past, Sandra. My old gas stove is on legs. I like a nice pair of legs on an appliance-LOL! I like not having to bend over to get something out of the oven! Sometimes it seems like appliance design has gotten worse.

When the land company agent drove onto this property and I saw the house for the first time, I turned to my dh and said "He's kidding, right? This looks like one of those haunted houses where you pay admission to be scared to death..." But once I was inside, the house just sort of possessed me. All that nice woodwork still right there. Those nice big rooms. And the view.

That funny little bush/tree in the front has a mate just out of view on the other side. They were planted in the front yard of the house next door to me in Louisville by an expensive landscaping firm for an elderly lady that owned the house. She sold it shortly after and a young couple with a small child bought the house. She hated these little trees because she thought the little boy would get stuck by them. She dug them up and I asked her to 'throw them my way'. LOL! Shortly after that, I saw one on display at a home and garden show. The price for just one was over a hundred dollars! I planted Stella d'Oro daylilies all around them both.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Well...I'm glad to know the little guy/girl has a friend! He looked so lonely all by himself there! Oh...I love lillys (or is it lillies?) and my Stella's are blooming as we speak! I'm just taking a break from painting all my outer doors....front door is done but it's like 3 coats on everything...where is that "1 coat" coverage stuff? I have been painting for many moons and never has 1 coat been enough unless it was the same darn color and of course mine never are.
I have to share this, although I know this isn't the place or forum, but I just went out to my mail box and not only did I not get any bills in the mail but wait....there's more...I got my economic stimulus check from George....but wait there's more....on the way back from the mailbox (it's across the street...don't ask me why...mine's the only one that way)....I reached down to pick up what I thought was somebodies used cigarette pack...it was a $20.00 bill!!!!! Yes!....this is a very good day so far!!! I came right in and closed the door and shut the drapes so no one would come after me saying they just dropped it!LOL! $20.00!!! And I live on a pretty quiet street with little traffic....I think it's a good sign for MY economy....can't speak for the rest of you...but mine is lookin' up!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You go, Sandra! I say it's your reward for picking up what you thought was litter! :D And I agree with you about paint. One coat is never enough. Even if I prime first. I put four coats total on my dining room walls in town(2 primer, 2 top coat of an oil based paint that I brushed on with a big fat four inch brush). I was going to try a faux finish(moire) that would have required another coat, but I fell in love with the way it looked so I quit. How long have you been painting? Do you enjoy it? I've been painting since I was about seven. My dad worked for Devoe & Raynolds for 40 something years, and that was the one thing he did around the house - paint. So when I begged to help him, he handed me a trim brush and let me paint the woodwork-pretty smart of him to give me the job he liked least-LOL! I've been painting ever since.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile
I didn't start as young as you but when I was married we hired some painters and they wallpapered and painted and it was so awful and I watched them and thought I could do a better job and I did and have never hired anyone for those jobs since. That was about 40 years ago. I am a really good trim painter too...my hands are steady as a rock, I LOVE my good angle brushes and I don't even bother with drip clothes anymore unless I'm rolling. It is boring at times but I listen to the radio or a book on tape and that makes it go faster.
I've "fixed up" so many houses in my life but I hire things like roofs, plumbing and electric but I've laid ceramic tile and linoleoum but now I want to put in hardwood floors and I've never done that so we'll see! You guys give me courage! But I could use a Mike guy too! I like to do things right not schalkey(sp?) I've had to repair others poor workmanship so if I'm going to do something I want to do it the right way and not have the next owner cussing me out! LOL!
YOu guys are doing an awesome job and I so enjoy your updates....it keeps me motivated and since I live alone it is nice to "talk shop" with another woman that does these things. Most of my neighbors are on the lake or the golfcourse and they hire their lawns to be mowed, their houses to be cleaned and I never see anyone outside working on their place which I must admit I love doing. The sense of satisfaction of a job well-done and seeing permanent improvements makes my heart happy moreso than a good golf game...each to their own I guess.
Keep up the GREAT work!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  11:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yep, a really good 1 1/1 inch angle brush....I've got a discount card for ICI/DULUX(used to be Devoe) because dad retired from there. I LOVE to go in there and just buy a really nice brush once in a while. Some women mall shop, I hardware shop!

Please post about your floor installation. I'll be facing that eventually. I've laid tile once, but never flooring. I've got bamboo for the kitchen floor.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:36:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Janice,
Good pictures and inspiration for all of us dreaming and fixing up our places. Ok, couldn't find the thread that you were trying to figure out the color of your little trailer, what did you end up thinking and doing? Yes I am curious.
We are outside working on getting the chicken coop built, have the area all cealned up that was work in and of itself. Funny no matter what you own there are always more projects big or small. LOL
I love bamboo floors they are really pretty.

I sure have enjoyed reading your gals chatting and dreamin!!!!! Keep going girls you can do it.

LMBO Janice, the hardward store queen and your crown has to be made of paint brushes!!!!

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rose hill farm
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jule Ann
Rhineland Missouri
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see rose hill farm's MSN Messenger address
Dear Janice.........It's your friend Jule! How are u? The windows look so beautiful! I love them! I hope ours turn out just as well. We have been busy putting up a pool for the kids this summer and not working on sheep fence like we should be. (We are to easily distracted!) LOL Write me soon! Again, I love your windows! And the roof looks so perfect! Good Work!
Jule

Donkeys for Peace!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Jule!!!! Great to 'see' you again! Did you finish the potager? I'm going to the farm for the weekend(I've posted pics of our daylilies on the forum in a couple of places-Garden gate and Over the Fence titled 'I'm fighting a losing battle at the farm). Really miss corresponding with you.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Janice- Your house is really coming along! What is left to get done?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Still a lot, Alee. Insulation is next. After that, we will be starting things that will make it look like a place to live - drywall, floors, woodwork. It seems to go on forever sometimes.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are you still using the eco-friendly insulation?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Janice:
How inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!! What an amazing job. My favorite thing in life is a porch. I could read, sleep, etc... on a porch. In 2005 hurricane Rita flooded our home in Louisiana. 5 feet of water. My husband and I with the help of one carpenter put the entire thing back together after gutting it. Where there's a will, there's a way. I love the house Janice. Keep us posted.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Marly - Did you take any photos of your work? That's so inspiring! I love finding other folks who have taken on restoration/remodeling projects. And I especially like us 'underdog' types who work against all odds. I started watching 'This Old House' so far back, Bob Vila was a 'hottie' who did some of his own work! LOL!

Alee- I missed your question about the insulation. Whatever we do, it has to be done before this winter in order to protect the heat pumps we had installed. The man who does the blow in green insulation says he can't do it in the old part of the house unless we take off the old lath work. I flatly refuse to do that. And the cost is very high, as well. So I'm still thinking about it. I may have to use batt insulation in the new part, as I can do that myself without help. It's the old part with the lathwork that's got me stumped for now.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile
janice

Just wanted to jump in real quick with a thought on the insulation. Our house has the old plaster and lath too and we did the blow in insulation last fall. What our guy did was drill holes along the top and bottom of each wall between each stude (????) to blow in the fluff. He capped each hold with a plug and then we went behind him and spackled and smooth it. We had to do some repair work on walls that would not hold the insulation first but we knew we were going to cover the wall with 1/4 inch drywall eventually so it didn't matter. On the walls that we were not going to redo completely, the spackled holes disappeared when painted/or will be painted.

Hope that is helpful.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  05:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Luna. I like that idea. But we don't have plaster on the walls now, just lathwork. Your idea is probably what we'll end up doing, though. We'll just have to drywall the walls in the old house this fall(hooray! Another project to do! LOL!).

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  7:49:35 PM  Show Profile
What our projects end sometime, are you sure......ahhhhh
I may live in a small mobile but our ideas keep growing and time is shorter for getting them done especially with the long winter we had. And can you beleive this, the nights are cool and kinda remind me of fall already. No way, I don't want an early winter, tooo much to do yet.....lol

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  04:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean, Carol Sue. Just yesterday, a friend and I were both saying we just 'felt' a touch of fall coming on in the early morning, in spite of the afternoon heat wave. I need to finish painting the camper so I'm ready to insulate next month. No time to waste! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Sorry gals but I would LOVE fall to come but because of you I will try to be patient...I have plenty of projects in and out to keep me busy for the next millenium! LOL! It is too hot to paint out! I tried but it won't dry and then bugs stick to it...not good to paint if it's too hot or too cold...it has to be just right! HOpe you get all you want done and more!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page