Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic
Page: of 9

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  1:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm betting on you, girl! The odds are good! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

gafarmwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Pam
Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Me too! You'll have it done in no time at all, Jonni. Speaking of sinks. We found our sinks at a salvage place when we were building the house. The man that owned the salvage place said the sinks came from an old motel in Atlanta that was torn down. We got 2 kitchen sinks and 2 bathroom sinks. The big ole porclein deep type. We used one of the kitchen sinks in the downstairs bathroom. One side of it is really deep. Deep enough to give grand babies baths in. I think we paid something like $5. a piece for them. I just love those old sinks. I'll have to make a picture of them. There is no telling how old they are.

...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference... ~Robert Frost~

Life on a Southern Farm
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the vote of confidence, you two!!! I'd sure love to see those sinks!!! I love salvage, but we have a bathroom that's so small you can't cuss a cat in it, so I had to go with a smaller pedestal sink. It's really pretty though, I like it-and the faucet reminds me of my Great Grandmother's.

Here's the sink:

http://products.jacuzzi.com/nd/moreviews_07.d2w/main?&SGIN=ERA_PEDESTAL_LAV&IMAGENO=2

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

gafarmwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Pam
Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Here is my recycled sink. I know it is not fancy but I sure do like it.

With a picture this big, I hope I got the sink good and clean.Lol..

...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference... ~Robert Frost~

Life on a Southern Farm
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  10:12:43 AM  Show Profile
Yippeee got caughtup on this.
Pam, yep you scrubbed good girl and it shows.

Janice, love the picture of your mobile. Ours is a bit different in that the roof is all one level. Yours looks like it is two, or should I have put my dang glasses on. LOL I love your duct work, that just means that you are progressing forward!!!!
Getting the basics all in order, electric, plumbing and heating, when those are done, it really starts to move.
My dad, retired now, was a woodshop teacher and he remodeled from the time I was small for others and our homes. Isn't the state of remodel normal!!!!! Growing up I sure thought it was.

Jonni, yes, you can do it girl. Ok, remodeling and wall papering are definitly marriage tests, but you will come through it with flying colors girl.

Janice, I had a corner cupboard exactly like you had!!!!!!!!!! Had no room here in the mobile and my sister fell in love with it, yep, ya know I had to give it to her. It looks so great in her place, it fits perfectly in her kitchen dining room cupboard and gives her a place to show her pretties. It makes me smile everytime I get to go over home and visit.

Jonni and Janice, the whirlwind duo, I can just see you too marching right on through all those stores. Lookout here they come......lol......

Happy weekend girls.

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  5:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Love that sink, Pam. You're a girl after my own heart.
Carol Sue - the roof on the trailer is higher in the front. I had a new roof put on two summers ago - the old roof leaked and I was tired of crawling around up there with a huge bucket of tar stuff coating the stupid thing and it still leaked anyhow! I love the new roof. It's insulated and so pretty(haha- only a farmgirl would take a chair and go sit in her field with a glass of tea and admire her new roof! LOL).

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Just wow!

"It's never too late to be what you might of become"
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  11:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Janice! Love your house!!! (Even the before pics! *wink*)

I saw a gorgeous place almost identical (in every way) in Port Gamble, but of course I can't get a mortgage cause I'm a student and not working. Oh, but how pretty! And the house might still be up for sale... *mischevious grin*

Just a few more years, house, then you'll be mine!

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Marie. ;) I think everybody who looked at my scary farmhouse was afraid of it, except for my dh and me(and I think he really let me talk him into it! LOL!).

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  3:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Janice and all!

How are ya doing! I kinda lost track of the forum for a few weeks and was browsing through and found this thread. i had no idea you were redoing an old farm house. I followed it from the beginning and I am so impressed and ENCOURAGED. I wish I could post a picture of my old house to show you....It is soo similar. Yours seems bigger and has more interesting details but it is essentially the same era and style. I've got to get that photo bucket thingy figured out so I could post a picture of my old house to show you.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  3:16:14 PM  Show Profile
And i love your stove and kitchen cabinets you've collected. And btw.....where are these thrifting spots??? I wanna go, too....

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  3:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Jancie,
I love that you sat and drank tea and admired your roof. Guess what we get to do this summer, snow coat ours so we don't have any leaks. It hasn't been done for a while, now that they finally took out the 80ft tall pine tree that was 3 ft from our house, it will make life a lot easier. Except for the darn scrubbing to get the pitch off first!!!!!!! Oh joy oh bliss!!!!! LOL later......

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Luna, please post pics of your house. I would really love to see it. Tell all about it. Are you living in it now? Lucky you, if you are. How long have you owned it?

Carol Sue - Mucho sympathy about the scrubbing/coating roof thing...been there, hate that. :O

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  06:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes i am living in it. It's not too bad right now but it was quite interesting, let's say, for the first part of the year we have been here. I moved in 'as is' in late June of last year. Electricity was a nightmare, no insulation, 'make do' plumbing' and something generously called a septic system involving a 55 gallon drum and a ditch! Plaster and lathe walls with either huge wholes or charming attempts at drywall that did not quite succeed. No kitchen other than an old (not charming) stove plugged into an outlet on one side and laminate counter over two cabinets that have quite a story to tell! Oh, and then there was the attempted cinderblock bathroom addition: Cinderblocks stacked in a square attached to the downstairs side bedroom. The wall adjoining the back of the house went halfway across the kitchen window! So if I stood in fronth of the window, there was half a wall to look at. Never saw that before. Then the floors.......think rotten beams as foundation....it's a floaty feeling to walk across some of them! Their is more but you get the idea. We've made a good deal of progress, a heck of alot more to go. We've got safer electrical, insulation blown in and some wall work done. It is a continuing adventure. There's also the contractor who.....that's a whole nother story! I think I'll go outside now and weed my garden and wash some fleeces!

I'll see if I can get a picture or two on here this evening...

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  07:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Luna! I feel your pain! I really do! And I hope you can post some pics. It's great to find other folks who are rowing around in the same boat. I love hearing about adventures in old farmhouse restoration/remodeling.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  03:41:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I envy that deep double old sink. I have been keeping my eye out for an old one with an "apron" front. Love the small windows above the doors. Wonder if we could add that design to our future built home...

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/ A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  10:22:09 AM  Show Profile
So, when do I move into your house? It looks fantastic!!!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I WISH we had a move in date! LOL! We work when we can pay cash for whatever is next. At least we did until we had to finance the HVAC adventure a few months ago. Now we're trying to put money aside to pay the rest of that bill(by next June). I'm going to start putting batt insulation in the new addition myself on my days off in a couple of weeks. That's something I can do by myself a little at a time.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Janice...I just read this entire thread and you have given me so much hope! And now I know I am not alone in my love for "old things"....keep posting those pictures and keep us 'dreamers" fortified with all your hard work and effort! It is beautiful at whatever stage and oh how I love your litchen items and the old woodwork! It's all gorgeous!
Good luck!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  05:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Sandra! It IS hard work for sure! But it is possible to do it 'on the cheap'! I don't make much money, and neither does my dh. But we're getting there, little by little.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  10:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Janice

I am still having trouble with the photobucket thing to post pictures of my old house. I haven't given up. Meanwhile I love reading about your progress. It encourages me. Keep posting those pictures. I'll get mine in somehow sooner or later....

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  05:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Keep trying, Luna. I really love seeing other peoples' progress. I don't feel so alone! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Miss Janice now wouldnt it be fun to have a farmgirl working at your house, I can do about anything, think about it I am all for it and we would have fun to. We can appoint you as straw boss

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'd LOVE it, Miss Wilma! We'd laugh a lot and get tons of work done, too! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile
There's a desserted old farmhouse and barn near me that I have had my eye for awhile now. I found out th eowner's name and she was going to fix it up I heard but it has termites and needs lots of work but then again if it's "fixed up" I can't afford it so there. Janice did you have any termite damage on your place? And at what point is a house worth fixing up or just left to die a sad pitiful death? Is there any place too bad to fix up at the right price? People keep telling me I don't want to because it is a dump but that's all I can afford and if the price is right then you have the money to fix it up right? What are "good bones"? Are there places that are too far gone? The one I'm looking at seems nice to me....I've seen lots worse!
Thanks for any info...

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic farmhouse renovation/restoration-movin in pics Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page