814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  12:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Sunday I finished reading "Animal,Vegtable,Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver
http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/
It is a very good book, great read especially if you raise some of your own food. Beware it will proably make you want to raise poultry I did enjoy reading it and she has many great points in the book. Deffinately one of the best books I read this year.

It was a wonderful breezy day, great to sit in the swing and read. Plus the book needs to go back to the library this week!

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Simply Stitches

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a hold request in at the library ..... but I am number 30! Lol. Maybe by this time next year, I will have read it.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited-I bought a copy of it. School gets done in 2 1/2 weeks, so it is going to be my first summer reading book!!
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  5:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I finished reading it! What a great book. One thing I really like is that inspiring as it is, it is never "preachy". The entire family contributes what they can to the project, but realize that they aren't perfect, and need to allow for some flexibility. It really inspired me to do what I can to buy more local, sustainably raised food!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  6:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I finished it too and loved it! I like they they were very honest about the things that they did not get local and that they did go to restaurants on occassion with friends. The last chapter was may favorite. IT was so funny and interesting to learn about the turkeys!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  9:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am really looking forward to reading this book! It seems to be getting rave reviews from other farmgirls so I am sure I am going to love it!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

It's been a long time since I've been to this site, my life has been crazy busy, as everyone's is, but I saw this book title and had to write. I'm in the middle of this book now and feel like I could be friends with Barbara Kingsolver!! She eloquently puts in words the thoughts and wishes and actions I have everyday! I agree with her philosophy of buying and eating only locally made foods, and try to do my best with my gardening during the summer, but she has inspired me now to try harder in finding local producers of some of the non-fruit and vegetable items. It is a wonderful book for summer reading.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  03:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls,
I read about this author and her book in the Kentucky Farm Bureau News. Their June issue had an article on Barbara Kingsolver (pg. 10). After reading all your posts on this book I really want to read it now.

Justmama from Amish Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile
I liked the book to and got a lot of practical stuff out of it. i know what you mean Lisa I was wishing that Barbara was my neighbor!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Darn it! I just went to Border's and would of got this book if I would have known about it. I read the website and it sounds so much like our farm, but I really don't know what I am doing. We are just going by trial and error. I love raising turkey's. Everyone always complains about how dumb they are, but we haven't found that at all. They are actually very social and love to be around us. Except the occasional Tom, the one we have this year, has not turned mean. I'm hoping he won't. We are going to keep a pair. Last year our hens set on unfertilized eggs and would not move for nothing. Everything I ever read on them said they won't lay a nest, sit on eggs and may need to be artificially inseminated. So this year we are going to see what happens.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  4:59:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading this now and it's all I can think about! Barbara makes it sound so interesting and fun to eat and live better! I hope you all try to get ahold of this book! Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:16:43 AM  Show Profile
I just put it into my Amazon shopping cart... Thanks!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

theknottysheep
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kary
knitting in the sea on an island RI
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  05:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I am in the middle of this book. It is awesome. I have been recommending it left & right.
It tells an honest tale of what has happened to our eating habits, the *production* food industry, the environmental impact of our food choices, the dislocation of the small American farmer from the food chain, etc etc.
I love it - I have always bought as locally & as organically as I can ... and I will be purchasing a few copies of this book to give as gifts this Holiday!
hugs,
Kary

http://sheepatthebeachartstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I read Kingsolver's book and enjoyed it so much it inspired me to order meat chickens. I did most of the raising of them but we pitched in as a family and butchered with two other families. We now have 23 roasting chickens in the freezer! I have one thawing for this weekend since it is supposed to be a cooler weekend and it might be nice to have the oven in "roast" mode again.

I am more convicted to shop locally/organic and did a much bigger garden than last year. We are hoping to move south (Tenn) and do what Barbara's family did, too, except full time. I loved the points she brought up about farmers getting fair pay for their labors--I didn't think about so much of my grocery bill going to transportation costs. I'm not okay with that!!

I'll be giving a short session on self sufficiency at my church's ladies retreat in Sept. Kingsolver's book is my focus along with John Seymour (wonderful sufficiency resource!). I'm nervous about doing it (i'm not a "spotlight" person) but I hope to inspire more women to think local and self sufficient.

Ta-ta, ladies!
carrie

totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Edited by - Carrie W on Aug 15 2007 12:42:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

ColdAntler
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Jenna
Sandgate VT
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  2:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ColdAntler an AOL message  Click to see ColdAntler's MSN Messenger address
i can't wait to read this sucker

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5082124
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  11:29:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading it now. It's excellent.....and I already have chickens...and pigs....and cows....oh my! I do love these chickens though.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile
I read this book several months ago and absolutely loved it!! I know everyone on this board would love it!!
About the turkeys, if I remember correctly there are only a few heirloom turkeys that can actually mate and produce offspring. The white commercial turkeys can't "do it" on their own! lol
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Me again. I finished Animal, Vegetable Miracle and now am reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" as well as "Food Fight"; My librarian recommended The Omnivore's Dilemma because it's similar to Barbara's book in Philosophy, if not in homey, story like style. Food Fight is a book we all should read if we have time. It explains the US Farm Bill which gets voted on every 7 years. Basically it goes into detail about where all the money (our tax dollars)goes in feeding this country, and how poorly thought out and counterproductive the system is. Boy, after reading Barbara's book and now this, I feel like starting a food revolution and getting a March going down in Washington DC!!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  9:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I had a hard time getting through "Omnivore's Dilemma" but LOVED AVM!!! I hope you all take the time to read it! Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  05:55:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now. Boy is it good! Her writing style is so readable, even when she's sarcastic the gentleness keeps it from being offensive. It resonates here, and I'd like to offer it to a bunch of folks to read. What a great MJF book for us all.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  3:26:20 PM  Show Profile
I mentioned earlier that I had read AVM. I also read "Omnivore's Dilemma"-I liked it. Again, similar in philosophy to Barbara Kingsolver, but different style. It got me looking at the ingredients in the products in my fridge and cupboard!!

Another book along a similar line-"Plenty", by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon. I enjoyed reading it-a couple's journey in eating locally. Again, different style than AVM, but good.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, I'm reading "Plenty" right now. Have started every morning with the first recipe in the book.. sage/mint tea.

Loved AVM!!!!!!!!! My layers are going to be partrige rocks, along with welsummers. We get our first meat chicks Sept. 6th and will butcher them 7 weeks later(last week of Oct)love the recipes that are included. Waiting for my roma's to come in to dry them.
I'm on our libraries waiting list for "Omnivore's Dilemma" and hoping to read "Coming home to eat" soon. Our library system doesn't have access to that one.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  5:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I love that tea! It seemed too simple to be true, but I tried it and thought it was great. For anyone who hasn't read "Plenty" yet:

1 leaf sage
1 leaf mint

Put in a mug. Fill mug with boiling water. Let steep for 5-10 minutes or to taste. Yum.

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  2:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, that tea is great hot BUT it is soooo good clod too, lol. I was running late one morning and didn't finish my tea, hating to waste it, I put the mug in the fridge and drink it cold later in the day. I have my peppermint and spearmint planted right next to eachother and have used both in this tea.

I dried Roma tomatoes, like in the book to use as both her antipasto tomatoe and tomatoe pesto.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Since all you ladies have been chatting about it, I picked up the book at our little bookstore (I was about #50 on the library waiting list, and I was too impatient!)It was a great read and really made me want to grow more of my own veg, eat veg only in season- now when I go to the grocery I say to myself, "Asparagus? This must be from the other side of the world cause it's fall now, no thank you!" And of course, it made me want to get my own chickens even more. Hopefully next spring...

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Am in the middle of this book & just LOVE it!!!!

It does make me want to raise some chickens though!!

My hubby is a little concerned.

LAura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegtable,Miracle Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page