katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile
I am waiting to read AVM, my family buys one book and we mail it to each other to read it. But, to share an idea from a food co-op in Middlebury, VT along the lines of awareness of how far your food has traveled - on all the produce in the Co-Op they use laminated tags and grease pencils for the name of produce, price etc. But they also put where it comes from - often including the mileage. It was a great educational tool and I know I often changed my mind about what to purchase when that information was shared. So, if any of you farmgirls shop at a local food co-op share that idea and see what happens!

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  7:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I read it this summer and I liked it a lot. I've always felt that eating local was more important than eating "certified organic". Mainly because my dad works at the processing plant for the local dairy coop, and in recent years because of the outrageous sprawl that I've seen take over the farming country just outside town. Our county has negative population growth and yet we're building new houses on farmland like there's a population boom!? So I'm glad to see someone backing up my feeling with facts and figures. I've been getting all my summertime fruits and veggies at a local farm market for the past couple of years, and she really got me motivated to put more away for the winter even though I don't have a big garden, a big stove, or a big freezer.
One picky detail about the book: Do you remember a line about a friend quoting her a scripture verse during harvest season? She says that the friend says "The harvest is ready and the labors are few" (according to my memory). She finds it amusingly wrong and uses that as the jumpoff point to describe the many labors of harvest season. But the quote is wrong! I can't remember where it is exactly in the Bible, but the quote is actually "The harvest is ready and the LABORERS are few." It's Jesus talking, and he's using the example of the crazy busy need for help at the harvest season to make the point that he needs disciples to help him in his spiritual work. He knows exactly what Barbara Kingsolver is talking about! I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it does... probably because I do proofreading and copy editing at work. Do any of you Bible readers happen to know the chapter and verse? I'm sure I'm right about the essence of the quote.
Go to Top of Page

TillieB
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marjorie
Berwick ME
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  5:23:34 PM  Show Profile
This book is changing several people's lives. I was fortunate to take the cheese making class from Ricki Carrol last week. Barbara talks about her class with Ricki. I was signed up for the class before the "book". When I read it in May I thought, "Holy #)%_* this cheese place is going to be famous." Sure enough she has 200 people on the waiting list and her mail order business quadrupled. www.cheesemaking.com The class was awesome and Ricki really is the Cheese Queen. The thing that surprised me the most were the students. There were several young mothers and the reason they were there was they read "the book" (that's what Ricki is calling it) I realized when I read the book that is how I was raised and try to live. These girls never had home economics in school, probably no 4H and their mom's probably worked out of the house. They want to change how they are raising their children. It was a very inspirational day from all aspects. Cheese making is a blast and it was nice to have some confirmation on people being aware of what they eat. Barbara Kingsolver could help change a lot of things. Read the book and pass it on!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  05:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I liked the bit about the cheesemaking, too. I tried making cheese for the first time about 5 years ago, with supplies ordered from Ricki Carrol's business.

I wonder what it would take to bring back real home ec programs? I never had it in school either, and I was disappointed even at the time. That was the stuff I was looking forward to learning.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegtable,Miracle Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page