darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Denise! Wow 101, what an awesome day for everyone!
What memories and stories she must have for you all.
Have a wonderful day and take care on your move when you do?
Love you all!
Blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  08:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Congrats to your aunt. My great maternal great grandmother and maternal grandfather also made it to their 100s. Just think of everything that changed in life in those 100+ years.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  10:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She won't be 101 until September. My great uncle, her uncle, lived to be 106 and he still played the violin everyday. My son has the violin now but I'm sure it doesn't get played that often nowadays. Definitely longevity on dad's side. My dad wanted to live to be a hundred but he was 8 years shy. My aunt didn't want to live to be 100 but she's made it. You'd never know she is that age though.
So tired today. I think I need a nap!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- Just thinking about everything you have to do makes me want to take a nap. I'll be happy to take one for you.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  1:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been sleeping well. My brain seems to come awake at night when my body wants to sleep. UGH!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- I have the same problem. Insomnia. If I don't do anything I will stay up until 7 am. Mostly I put headsets on when I go to bed with some boring book on my iPod.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  3:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Judith -
How many times do you have to repeat the chapters because you fell asleep?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  4:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several times if it is a good book but if it is a boring book it doesn't matter and the boring books are best for falling asleep. You can even rerun them.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  4:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lol

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  4:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I ended up with a nap. Fell asleep about an hour ago and just woke up to the phone to ringing. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  9:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love naps!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  04:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thing I did nap. We had storms through some of the night and they kept waking me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  04:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Denise and Linda to have family members reach their 100s! It is amazing what someone learned and lived through in a Century. My Dad died at age 98 , but his last years he had poor health and lost his ability to communicate. His decline was so painful to watch and I wonder if he was aware of what was going on or not.

I take my hat off to anyone who can nap well. If I dont’ sleep well the night before, I might be able to nap but not always. If I do fall asleep reading or something, I often wake up feeling worse. Weird! Sleeping as I have aged has become harder and a good friend of mine use to say, it wasn’t my turn to sleep last night so I watched all the hours pass by’!! It seems like I have more than my share of not having a turn to sleep nights each decade! What is up with that?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  05:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do wonder why we don't sleep as well when we get older. Is it because we are less active? Seems to affect women more than men. Most sleep aids will help fall asleep but not do anything to help us stay asleep.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  10:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it true that we don’t need as much sleep as we age? I know if I have a couple of bad sleep nights in a row I am in a fog.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  10:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If I take a nap, I almost always wake up with a headache.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know because when I don't get enough or haven't had good sleep I feel terrible the next. I usually don't like to nap for fear I don't sleep well at night.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  11:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heading to the realtors office to sign the contract tomorrow. Hoping everything goes smoothly so we can close at the end of August. Just will be glad when it is all done.

On another note I think we may have to put my dad's dog to sleep. He is getting pretty bad. He can hardly see well anymore and hearing is gone. He is 17 and can't hold his liquids anymore. I was hoping he would live out all his time and pass on his own. Everyone says it the kind thing to do but it doesn't feel like it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 18 2021 11:29:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems I need less sleep now; at least my body thinks so; it wants me to sleep every other night or so. My bedtime keeps getting later and later and I still have trouble falling asleep. I can't nap unless I'm sick. Headset and boring books help to jam all the thoughts that keep running through my brain but there are nights that doesn't work either. I can function ok after sleeping three hours one night but if it happens the next night too I feel pretty dopey.
My Dad and his family lived long lives; Dad was almost 104; Uncle Billy was 102. and my grandmother and her sisters were all in their late 90s but so far it appears I take after my mother's side .

!7 is an old age for a dog; he must have had a good life. I have never understood why euthanasia is good for our animals bur not for us.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  12:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
I'm not sure I will do it but I do want him to have good days left but it doesn't seem he does.
I am an animal lover but I do put more value on human lives more than an animals. Just my view.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  1:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Same for me, Judith - sometimes I have a 3-4 hour of sleep night, but it doesn't seem to affect me the next day, which I am glad of.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2021 :  9:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When I was teaching first grade, years ago I often found myself awake in the middle of the night...thinking about my little ones or trying to be sure everything was ready for the next day.
Now when I drift off quickly, I often fond myself awake at 3am. I've heard that God likes to visit us about 3am.So I pray about many things...and I often drift off again.
Those nights when the bed is my enemy and by 2 am i've tossed and turned enough, I move to my recliner in the living room. Usually I go to sleep...quickly!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2021 :  03:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are nights I do the same Marilyn, moving to the recliner so I don't wake JT. I am usually asleep shortly after.

I have had Winnie's annual apple themed swap on my mind lately. Getting some ideas for things I can include. Hope to find my crafting things quickly when we start unpacking.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  08:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a love/hate relationship with sleep for years. It seems like motherhood and being on call for the hospital changed around my ability to stay asleep. When I was on call, I never slept because of anticipatory worry the beeper was going to fire off and wake the children.
Debbie, I think sleep changes as we age are universal for many people and sometimes we have to figure out a routine that works most of the time. They say that we should try and go to bed at the same time each night. I took a sleep continuing ed class from the sleep center of the the hospital and they also say never watch TV in bed or read in bed. Keep those activities in another room and make your bedroom just for sleeping. If you cannot sleep, get up, do something else like sit in a chair and read or whatever until you get tired and then go back to bed. There is something about the blue light from a TV, computer, phone screen that stimulates the brain more and makes it harder to fall asleep. I think everyone just has to figure out what works best and then try and make that happen when insomnia sets in. Another problem I have is waking up at 4:30 am to go to the bathroom and then never getting back to good sleep. If I have had just enough sleep, it seems my body is ready to just start the day. So frustrating!@!

Denise, I sure do have apples on my mind already!! LOL!!! I am thinking about posting the swap by August 31 as well as introduce the entire Apple Festival for all of the new Farmgirls that joined in this year. I can't wait for a new Apple season to launch and watch for the arrival of the late Summer apples from the lower states of the Blue Ridge Mts. in a few grocery stores. Last year, I noted in my apple journal that Ginger Golds appeared from this area in my local grocery store on August 19. That is just one month away!!! Ginger Gold are some of the first to ripen in North Georgia and western NC areas. They don't last long but they are the bridge until apples from northern states like Michigan and New York filter down in late September. There is a delicious Apple from Washington state called Rave Apple and they are a late summer apple from out that way. They are really good if you haven't had a chance to try any yet.

Currently, I am getting Smitten Apples which are late Summer apples in New Zealand . They have this Tag line that says, "Once bitten, forever smitten". New Zealand sold some stock to the US and now are grown in Washington state. Right now, I am finding them in these bags known as snack size apples. They are really wonderful and look for them in your grocery now as well.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jul 20 2021 08:53:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  11:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading books on my ipad since the beginning of the year. Lately, I've had a couple that I'm having a hard time putting down for the evening and then I take it to bed with me to read. It's nice that the screen is lit up enough to read by so that it doesn't keep Brad awake....but probably not so good for my sleep! I think I might have to cut myself off an hour or so before bedtime.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic July 2021~ summer days Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page