debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, that sounds like a lot of fun! As much as I enjoyed watching my kids at the fair, I'm wondering if it might be more fun to watch the grandchildren...less responsibility and stress. We will find out next year!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When our eldest was a third grader, first year in 4-H, first time ever in a show ring...she had a big brush in her back pocket, a whip or quirt in her right hand, bent over trying to direct the path of her oinker, when I arrived from my work place!( I had almost missed it!
She and a teenaged boy were the only two kids left in the show ring with their two pigs. I was impressed! When the sale part came about...he won the big ribbons and the Rosette, and of course more money. But she had done so well, as her pig had also. So every year she had pigs. Had wanted no part of it...until one year Bay had four pigs. Their mom asked Had to help walk the pigs, so they could get home before too late. So then Had decided it would be ok to walk the pigs in the ring. Everyone oohed and ahhed when she came into the show ring. They were excited to see this beautiful child. She had long golden blonde curls. She was wearing starched jeans and western shirt. And she was so tiny! This was the year before her brain tumor was found. She was 12... But the size of a 7 or 8 year old. Everyone asked if she was old enough to be in 4-H? Oh yes!
That was our last year with piggies.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2021 :  12:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love seeing your FB posts with the kids and their animals.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  03:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were scheduled for a viewing yesterday but it was cancelled. They plan to reschedule which is good. Haven't had any showings yet so hoping. We know it is going to have to be someone who wants to homestead or has animals, hopefully the right ones will come along soon.
I am going to miss all the fruit we have on the property. Though the blackberries are ripening so we will get to have those this year. I've already been checking for farm markets near where we will be living. I will miss our local one. It's only a couple miles away but my daughter knows where a lot of places are and I will be doing some apple picking this year. Oh is it fall yet? LOL! I am really looking forward to it. It is hot and sticky here so I spend a little time dreaming of cool weather days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh, we are heading into the second week of July already. The summer seems to be humming along which is fine with me. That means each day we get closer to Fall!! LOL!!! We are at the point where everyday weather here is the same with little change; hot, humid, daily thunderstorms and then repeat the next day! Nothing never dries out and this and everything gets moldy outside. This past weekend, I have been working on a new little candle cover about apples. It is made up, and I am keeping it simple and fun. Denise, you are definite going to apple country up there in Ohio!! It will be fun to go with the kids to U-Pick orchards this fall .

Speaking of Apples everyone, just a little reminder that the month of September is our Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival. Time to dig through your favorite cookbooks or maybe try a new recipe featuring apples. Plus, I will be hosting an Apple Swap and Apple Giveaway over at the Chatroom. Keep an eye open if you would like to join in the fun.

Last week, in got grocery store. I found another new apple variety that I had not tried before. The store had these bags of smaller apples they call snack size and this new variety had the name Smitten. This particular bag was from New Zealand but when I looked it up on the internet, I learned that New Zealand sold the rights to the US a few years back and they are now grown in Eastern Washington state. The tag line for this particular apple is "Once bitten, Forever Smitten". Of course I had to check this one out!! LOL!! These apples are truly delicious eating apples. Crispy, Sweet, and a beautiful striped red color, they quite popular with everyone who has them available. Check out your grocery store and see if they are there. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I am so glad we will be moved in by September. I have missed being in the swaps. I look forward to decorating my little front porch for fall! Now you have me excited for apple time! I dearly look forward to that time of year.

I found a little toad in my pantry this morning. Not sure how he made his way in except maybe the day the guys had the back door off to put in the new door jam and storm door. He's hopping around in one of the front rooms. I'm not afraid of toads as long as I see them first and aren't startled by them. Lol. But I don't pick them up so one of the guys will have to catch him and take him out to the flower garden when they get back today.
I've been cleaning out cabinets and going through things. I tend to stock up on cleaning supplies so I have been condensing containers and getting things in order to pack up. Only 23 days till we leave. It seems much shorter than that but possibly because we have a lot to do. I know when we are busy time seems to fly by.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 12 2021 09:44:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie -- I feel for you. We get heat here but usually low humidity. I have never been to Florida but the one thing I did not like about visiting Hawaii was the humidity. So uncomfortable. Hanging clothes on the line to dry was an exercise in futility.

Denise -- The 23 days will go so fast and you will be decorating your new porch in no time! Be brave and pick up the toad; I promise you won't get warts and they don't bite.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, you're in the home stretch!!!
Winnie, have you tried the new Cosmic Crisp apple? It's a cross between a Honeycrisp and an Enterprise, which I had never heard of. They started development in 1997 in Washington state and just came available 2 years ago. It is now my very favorite....just the perfect juiciness, sweetness and crispness....all rolled into 1 delicious apple! I had heard that they are only being grown by Washington apple growers and they had put a HUGE amount of money into the research and development and marketing. I hope they ship some to Florida!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did get the toad put out before the guys got home. He was just a little guy.
Our realtor for this house called to set up an appt. for someone else to look at the house tomorrow evening.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 12 2021 6:53:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  5:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the showing tonight. The couple also brought their mom and dad along. The wife has horses so they were quite interested. Hoping it goes favorably.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  6:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wishing you luck and hoping for the best.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  8:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Denise.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  8:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise how many acres do you have there?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  12:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for you Denise!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  3:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. Our realtor called and he thinks these people are going to make an offer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2021 :  07:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woo hoo!!!!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2021 :  08:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed, Denise.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally finished the last big job which was cleaning out the garage. Looks good. Now we have trip to make to the scrap yard. Sold two of our non running vehicles to a u pull it place. Sold our backhoe to our neighbor and the frontloader will probably end up at the u pull it place.

We should have a signed contract on the house by Monday. It's been a busy week.

We will be going to the memorial for sister this week. Then back to finish up packing and tying up loose ends.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 16 2021 6:31:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  5:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What is a U-Pull-it place? Haven't heard of that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  6:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a place where they have cars that you can go gets parts from if you need something for your vehicle that you can install yourself. They usually sell them cheap. You have to go take the part out of the vehicle that they have. Usually cars that aren't on the road for one reason or another but still have other good parts. Doors, carburetor, etc.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  6:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Denise. I guess Ed knows about them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  8:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like great progress is being made. You will be moving soon. A lot of work but very exciting.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2021 :  10:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my Denise, time is rushing by so quickly!
One of our local garages, where you take your vehicle to be worked on, is also the place your vehicle goes when it has been wrecked. They live out in the country, and he has a bunch of rusting relics out there. We used to go there to look for parts when we drove old cars. Once I began buying a new or gently used vehicle, it had to go to the Chevy dealership for its service appointments. That has been a nightmare several times. It taught me to stand up, be bold and fight for what is right!!!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 16 2021 10:16:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  04:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, this is all so exciting that the ball is rolling towards your final selling of the house! You and JT have really worked hard and now it is paying off for you.

Like others, I have never heard of a U-Pull-it Place either. It sounds useful for those specific auto and machinery needs too. When I have passed by those big car scrap yards, that are usually behind some sort of fencing cover, I always wondered what was actually in there and how they all got there. The world of car repair is completely foreign to me for the most part.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2021 :  06:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was growing up the family next door (7 children ) had a garage where the dad fixed or painted or whatever someone needed done on their car. He also had a graveyard of old cars. He would buy them and use them for parts. The runner blackberries grew very well around and in those old cars and the bees liked them too. We never played in them because we were forbidden. Too many opportunities for injury there. But we had a lot of fun picking berries around there. We had tons of fun with those 7 kids too!
Last night my brother in law came to pick up my nephew. This morning they decided to help Jim clean out around his shed and take the scrap metal to the recycle place. I can't believe how much junk we had laying around from running the business out of our home. Some people(I won't mention names) are procrastinators.
I am excited about getting down to the last couple of weeks but tired to think we have to unload and unpack it all. Also as happy as I am to be near the family there I have gotten a bit sentimental about this place after being here 21 years. But it's all good. Trying to keep my anxiety level down.
Not sure but we may also squeeze in a trip to NY to see my aunt. I imagine if she is here for 101st birthday they will have another party for her. Not knowing if we will make it, as it is going to be further away to drive, I really want to see her before we leave. It will all work out for the best whichever way it happens. Just taking it one day at a time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic July 2021~ summer days Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page