Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on 2021
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on 2021 Next Topic
Page: of 9

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9514 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9514 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2021 :  05:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
What a pretty pattern you chose for the quilt!

I am finding I don't like being realistic about projects but I need to be these days. I can do everything I want and that means letting go of things. Plus the space is lacking for some things.id rather not have it become clutter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 26 2021 05:15:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2021 :  7:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I finished 1 quiltlet, 3 tablerunner tops (still need to quilt), started another quiltlet, and started a Christmas sweatshirt.

I have made many of this sweatshirt - 13 in one Christmas about 19 years ago for relatives and me. This first picture is the one I made me, and it goes through the washer and dryer several times every year. Once you get the "tree" on the sweatshirt, all you have to do is decorate it with buttons and trims. And there is NO Crocheting! The tree is a round doily (I usually get them at Dollar General), and you just fold under two sides, pin it on the sweatshirt (or t-shirt), sew it on with machine or by hand, and decorate! I use buttons, and both sew them on and add some fabric glue underneath them to be sure they stay. i also add a trunk and buttons that look like presents under the tree.

I have lost a couple buttons in the wash over the years, but then I can just add a new one.

Maybe you'd like to make one, too? They are a lot of fun to make.

My old and loved sweatshirt

How to fold the doily

Sweatshirt I am working on - items just laid on the tree, still deciding on layout.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9514 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9514 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  03:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Those are so cute! I love the one you made you with the edges of the doily making the boughs of the tree. The button packages really work well! You are so creative! I have loads of doilies. With have to give this a try.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 28 2021 03:20:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  07:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I like the things you said...so true!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise -

That was an extra large doily - not sure where I found it. Yes, some doilies make a better edge on the tree, and if you bi-fold the tuck out on some doilies, you can get a more jagged and tree-like edge.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, those doily Christmas trees are beautiful on the sweatshirts! What a great idea and so original too. Are these going to be gifts? They would make really cute ones for just about any age.

Marilyn, I am glad that others are also experiencing big changes in interest, and energy for doing all the projects we used to do. If you think about it, it makes sense that as we age, we change, and that includes how we wish to spend our time. Plus when we were doing certain projects routinely, we had younger families and work requirements and our time was spent differently. I remember crafting was a great outlet to enjoy because I worked full time and was raising a family. Crafting and reading were energy renewal pursuits and I was always trying to squeeze in something fun to make.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  5:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda -- Tres adorbs! I have some old doilies and may try this.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, those are cute! You have been busy!
I have been thinking about this for the past couple of days. I mentioned it to my mom and she agreed, also. As you age, "things" change...your energy, your ambition, how you want to spend your time, your interests. I used to sew everyday when my little children were napping. It was my time to relax and create something. Now there are days, weeks, that I don't even venture into my sewing room. I was wondering recently if I was having a mid life crisis of some sort...I had considered emptying my quilt fabric stash cupboard and saying, "I'm done!!!" I used to have a minor "obsession" with quilt making and I made a lot of them! So many I gave away as gifts. I have a stack in my closet of the ones that I have kept and some special ones tucked away in my cedar chest.
I've become a lot more careful with my spending when it comes to fabric, quilt books, etc. I've cleaned out and scaled WAY back on the books that I have. There are more patterns than I can still possibly make in my lifetime left.
I'm thinking I'm a little burned out. There are other things that are calling (some screaming, actually) my name. My knitting, for one. And reading. Right now this is what's giving me peace and relaxation.
One of these days I will see a quilt and it will inspire me to make something new. But right now I think that I'm just going to enjoy working on something else and enjoy it!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  6:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm right there with you Debbie. After many years of making quilts I am tired of sewing. I completed 18 UFO quilts last year as my Covid project. The 19th one is unfinished; I got halfway through it and just quit. The quilting I was doing on it was terrible, partly due to my failing eyesight and partly just because I was tired of sewing. I have so much fabric that I didn't have to go to the fabric shop the past year and a half and what I used did't make a dent in what I have. A dear friend gifted me with a "junk journal" and I am fascinated with it and would like to try paper crafts but in the meantime what do I do with all this fabric.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto, everyone. I am tired of sewing, too. Every once in a while I get motivated. Unfortunately, I see new project ideas and want to make them - that gets me sidetracked. LOL!

I am trying to use up and finish quilts that are almost done and kits that I have. I have 2 quilts that only need me to hand sew the binding (I like doing these in cooler weather, sinnce they are on my lap and get warm otherwise), about 7-8 quilt tops that need to be sent to the long armer to be quilted, 6 Christmas table runners that need to be quilted, 2-5 quilt kits that need to be made (some are wall hangings), etc. etc. LOL!

I have 7 quilts on one of the guest beds to keep them smooth - I have to move them when the grandkids are here. LOL! I need to "gift" some of my quilts - running out of room to store them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  10:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit I'm not as much of a prolific quilter as I used to me. Before, I had a quilt shop to motivate me ... I wanted the shop to look inviting.

Now, I just do what I feel like. I've been knitting a lot ... I don't know, it just seems less complicated ... less prep.

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9514 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9514 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  05:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to move from one type of thing to another. Sometimes I take a break from everything. I am working on a gift in cross stitch just now and while going through some things came across a quilt pattern and thought I should make that. Lol I will but not at the present. Maybe that will be my next project. But of course I have UFPs to finish too. At least moving helped me to downsize the things I knew I wouldn't do anymore and organized the things I am still working on. Not many things to finish.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  09:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, that's a good question, what to do with the fabric! I was searching through my stash yesterday, looking for a piece that I was hoping I had more of. I was kind of evaluating what was in there....what colors did I have the most of, did I even LIKE some of it anymore???
I had a thought run (very quickly) through my head of giving myself a challenge of seeing how many quilts I could get made next year just from what was in the cupboard and then make a scrap quilt or two from the leftovers? The thought kind of excited me for a minute! But then I decided I'd better think about it haha! A quilting friend of mine says that no matter how many scraps she uses, you can never tell! The pile never seems to shrink! She also thinks they multiply at night :)
I met a lady recently who belong to a quilt guild and they make a lot of charity quilts. I've been thinking of boxing up some of this collection and gifting it to them. It would be going to a good home to bless others. I would honestly feel relieved in a way.
I do have a couple of quilts that I want to do but anymore I have to be in the mood to work on them or it's no fun.
Linda, my mystery quilt is still laying here on my sewing table. If I would just get to it, it really wouldn't take me that long, even to just get the main blocks finished. I'm still undecided about paper piecing the sashing or just using a single fabric. A friend of mine just went on a quilt retreat last weekend and she took hers and finished it. It turns out really pretty!
Judith, I also have the failing eyesight issue! It can sure be frustrating!!! I need to make an eye dr appt and probably get a new pair of glasses.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you all on quilting!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  6:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Judith - Is there a quilt guild or church group close by that does community service quilts? They would love the fabric.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Debbie -

I was thinking about my mystery quilt, too. Still undone but ohn the list. Bonnie's newest mystery quilt fabric list debuted today. LOL! I will download the fabric/colors post and all the steps and then if I like the pattern maybe do it in Christmas colors to use up some stash. LOL! We need to help "guilt" each other to finish the one we already have started. LOL!

Quilt guilds can always use the fabric - I know mine loves donations.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2021 :  9:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you are so funny!!! I love to start new projects more than I enjoy finishing them unfortunately;
I will have to look at her website and check the new mystery out.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  12:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, you can always join in with Darlene Riboldi's 10" square and 5" square swaps! It is exciting each month to receive envelopes in the mail, with such pretty fabrics inside.
Or you could cut some fat quarters, and mail them to your friends in the hen house! Including me! I've sent some small scraps to Winnie a couple of times. It helps if they want to sign up for a swap.
When people know a seamstress, they can always bring a smile to her face, with a gift of fabric.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  01:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my aunt in California passed away, her son and husband boxed up her sewing stuff and sent it to me. That was quite a big bunch of mess. Because it included some partially completed garments, a couple of curtain panels, a new shower curtain and assorted odd bits of off white fabrics. Then there we're some useful small pieces and pretties. I used up most everything they sent. I remember well the day the UPS driver brought the boxes. I was going through chemo, no hair, and every afternoon I sat outside and read from Mary Jane's books, so it was 12 years ago.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  5:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When my cousin in California passed away, her husband gave me her Janome sewing machine. I was there when she passed, and helped him organize her things. Neither of her daughters was interested in sewing. I shipped back 4 boxes of fabric and about 8 unfinished quilts; another quilting friend of hers took several more unfinished quilts and finished them to give to her husband. I had the quilts quilted and I bound them and sent them back to her husband to give to the grandkids for Christmas. I still have several kits that I need to finish that she had started - though there are also some "puzzles" that I need to figure out. There were a few bags of pieces she had cut but no directions as to how she was planning on finishing them. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2021 :  8:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that was so nice of you…I bet her family was so appreciative to have those quilts.
I wonder if my daughter will do the same thing, finding pieces and parts here and there in my sewing room! One of my friends that quilts says that she is going to leave sticky notes on her projects that say things like, “I’m sorry!” And “I’m so, so sorry!” Haha!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  11:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to share this adorable dish towel made with Yo-yos that I received years ago in a swap here. Isn't it adorable? And so easy once you have the idea of what to do. It has never been used, but I bring it out in my kitchen every year for this time of year and now it is an official part of my fall decorations.. Yo-yos are such a clever idea and it worked out perfectly here!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  11:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - that is adorable!!!! I have not crafted in SO long, but am looking forward to jumping back in with both feet!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9514 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9514 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie that is adorable! Shannon, good to see you back!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really nice Winnie!
Love and hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on 2021 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page