levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  05:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are in a fresh, new month! Let's all make it a good one. I love this month full of warmer days, summer coming even though many have summer temps before this month. I look forward to Flag Day and we have a family anniversary to celebrate. Fresh veggies coming and picnics! What do you all love about the wonderful month of June??

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  10:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a child, I remember June as the month we got out of school for summer vacation. Now, in Florida, June is the official start of Summer although we have had summer conditions already in the second half of May. For me, June is just another month of Summer and our gardens will soon be finished because of the heat. The strawberry and blueberry seasons are well over and we are working on tons of watermelons for sale and fresh picked corn. This weekend, my daughter's family garden picked all of their Silver Queen corn and we put up frozen bags and have some on the ears to enjoy. Apparently, the raccoons had started to invade and take it down so they picked about a week early to at least get enough to enjoy. Silver Queen is one of my favorites, but there is a bi-color variety that is delicious as well.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  5:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In Illinois we also got out of school the middle of June.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  5:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also got out of school the second week of June, just in time for Fathers Day and my Dad's birthday. We usually left for a vacation right after school was out.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  5:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We always vacationed in the summer, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  6:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked June because it was the beginning of summer for us when we were growing up...the beginning of school was a LONG way off. Since I've been married, it's one of the times that we can get some time off during the year, when the weather is nice, to go somewhere. We have the water shut off of the crops and it's a couple of weeks of quiet, growing time before we have to start grass harvest. It's also not so hot as July and August can be.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  6:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School always ended for us the 3rd week of June and graduation was the last weekend in June. Then the trips to the lake started over 4th of July and we stayed, my brother and I most of the summer with my grandparents at the lake. He usually stayed longer than I did because I wanted to spend time with my school friends during the summer too. I also had friends at a farm and would spend time there too. Learned a lot in the summers as well as through the school year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June has always been a busy month, my dad would by big watermelons and have have huge picnics.
it was a great time. My daughters were both born in June, Vicki my oldest was born on Flag Day the 14th Angelina was born on the 4th, my son was born in July.
That is a nice time of the year weather wise too.My Dad's birthday was on the 16 too, it was a great month. I miss that.

Have a great Wonderful day!

Blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  7:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad's birthday was on the 12th and we always had a big party for it. As he got older the parties got bigger; there were probably about 100 people there for his 100th, but sadly only a few of his friends as he had outlived most of them. He passed 2 years ago so no more big family reunions. The vacations were fun, frequently visiting relatives in other states. Visiting the southern California relatives was fun as they lived close to Disneyland. There were trips to Mexico and Canada and a good part of the US. Our vacations always seemed to consist of driving hundreds if not thousands of miles. Mom would save change through the year to pay for the roadside attractions like the Mystery Spot, Sea lion caves, Den of Death, and all the other tourist traps. I recall driving through Death Valley in July and Dad stopping at the store in Furnace Creek and buying us kids 7-up. I was sure we were going to die in the desert as we were never allowed sodas and it was our parting gift.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  04:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
That's funny. Did you have air conditioning in your car or was that rolled down windows?
We drove across desert when we were traveling to San Diego from the east coast. The first time I was ever on a trip that took 7 days. From there we flew to Honolulu. My first plane trip and it was long. I didn't want to go but it was fly or stay there. We were due there June 8th. We had just been married 1 month when we arrived.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  07:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Always nice to see some chatting. Here things are quiet.

I did make an attempt go into Canada to see my mom ... well, I needed my summer tires ... although with the cold weather I wonder! lol I just couldn't be driving on my winter tires all summer long ... What a production! It took approximately 2 hours of waiting around while they did an investigation to make sure what I was saying was kosher. They called my mom and asked her questions. I do not fault the Canadian government's precautionary measures, they have just opened up the city/stores, I am coming from New York. The borders are closed, but I am a Canadian citizen so I could cross. With everything going on, my not having seem my family in over 3 months etc ... it was overwhelmingly stressful. Once I arrived, I put my tires on and we visited. No hugs and a safe distance was kept. It was wonderful to see them. My sister even came up so I got to see her too. It was truly a family dinner. Not knowing how it would be passing US customs I left after dinner. It did not turn out to be as long.

I'm continuing to knit away. Started a new sweater. I'll post pics on another thread.

Catch you all later ... Farmgirl hug!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow what an experience Carole, I am glad you got to see your family! How is Pumpkin doing?

Have a good day everyone and stay safe and well.

Blessings
Love
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  11:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- no air conditioner in our old 1950 Plymouth Suburban; we had the 450 method -- roll down 4 windows and go 50 mph. We had the water bag hanging on the front of the car and I still remember the burlapy taste of the water. One year Dad bough a contraption that fit on the passenger side window that held water and to cool the car you pulled a cord. If you pulled it too fast the person in the back seat got a faceful of water.

Carole -- How wonderful you got to see your family and get your tires; I bet it was worth all the trouble.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  12:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I remember those early car air conditioners and the burlap water bags too.
We never had one but my uncle and aunt who lived in California and traveled each summer to Texas and back to California did have one of those coolers. I remember when I was 13, we took the train out there to visit and rode with my uncle, aunt and their five year old son back to Texas. That device kept the car pretty cool...after the sun went down. It also had a spitting problem.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy June to all of you. Times are tough here with the demonstrators and all the covid 19 stuff. But the flowers are gorgeous now and that is hope.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  6:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie how close are you to the damaged area? It is heart breaking, when nature destroys our trees etc. Even more so when people so filled with hate destroy things. So sad.
Prayers have been said for you since it all began. They continue.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  04:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie,
Glad to see you pop in for a visit! I hope things are settling in your neck of the woods.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  06:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole and Bonnie, it is aways good to hear from you!

Carole, glad you finally got the chance to reunite with your family and get those snow tires off. I know everyone was happy to get together and catch up and just see one another. Hopefully there will be more gatherings this summer.

Bonnie, after such a long and cold Spring, I am happy that you finally have gorgeous flowers to enjoy!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  06:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I'm so glad you got to visit with your mother and sister too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  07:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a memory from my 5-6-7 year old mental file box. My daddy had a cousin he had grown up with. The cousin had been in the crew on the rig that blew out, when Daddy slid down the cable to escape and his brother was burned.
I suppose he decided that driving a truck was safer work. This was the late 40s and very early 50s. Several times each summer he would arrive
Out of the blue. But he always brought the biggest longest watermelon. It rode on the hitch...between the old truck cab and the trailer he pulled.
After his first surprise visit, I would always run to see of he brought another melon each time he came.
I loved to swing. Daddy had put a rope swing in a tree near the kitchen door. He had cut notches in a small board for a seat.so every time cousin Wylie came to visit I begged him to give me pushes in that swing. He would push until I felt as if I could fly...then the swing would eventually die as my little legs hot tired of pumping.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite melon as a child was a Black Diamond Watermelon.sadly they just don't grow here.
My uncle Bob lived in Pecos, Texas. He would come to grandma's house while we were there in the summer. He always brought at least one of those huge beauties.
Cantaloupes were another treat he would bring.
Now a few years ago I had looked in every store for Pecos cantaloupes, but could not find them. Then I discovered a newspaper article on the subject. From that I learned that cantaloupe require heat...112° for about two weeks before picking. But they are the sweetest.little melons ever.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 03 2020 07:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June is such a lovely month here. We do not get real hot, the gardens are thriving as well as the crops. The cattle are put out to summer pasture and our chores take less time. My strawberries are coming on strong and my bleeding hearts, peonies and lilacs are blooming profusely. The grandkids are done with school and we have been enjoying a few adventures. The giant floating ducky has been inflated and let loose on the stock dam for afternoons of fun.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
That sounds like the perfect June. Sadly, our strawberries are done here. I guess because we are more south we are about a month ahead of you this year.

Marilyn, sweet memories!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  11:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My strawberry plants are blooming like crazy. That's a big surprise. We had bitty ones for about six weeks...just enough for us to have a taste of the real deal...not store bought. So maybe I ended up with Everbearing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ladies before June 3rd goes down the history books, we need to honor our friends the cluckers who
Sing or cluck loudly each time they are successful at laying another egg. Our Hens! Today is National Egg Day! Hens lay eggs, eggs make our baked goods delicious. Eggs are a protein source. Eggs planted in your garden will help your veggies grow. So this morning we had a biscuit with maple sausage, an egg and some cheese inside it. So perhaps you can give an awesome extra treat to your cluckers when you feed them this afternoon. Mine love meal worms!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  3:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, just letting everyone know that there are no birthday in June. Did not want to make a new post for no birthdays. Enjoy your month of June.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Jumping into June~2020 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page