Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  2:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Sara! I love how you described us sitting around the table with a glass of Sweet Tea!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother picked cotton as a teen to buy her school shoes, and some fabric for a new school dress. Undies were homemade from flour sacks. So were grandma's sheets.
Cotton gins were busy places. I remember seeing the bales of cotton, wrapped partially with burlap, and tied securely, standing, waiting to be loaded on a train for their journey to a mill.
Sweet memories of long ago.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I guess Memphis was to cotton what Abilene Kansas was to long horned cattle...a gathering place, a shipping place.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my Hubby, Rex and his classmate Susan who were chosen Cotton Carnival Court from their school in 1960. They are all gathered at Crump Stadium in Memphis to get a group Picture of the King and Queen and all their court. His dad has the group picture, I think. All the girls wore the same dress and all the boys a White Tux. Back in the day, it was a big ta-doo! The students had to have good grades and good conduct to be chosen. His mom gave me these pictures when we married because she had duplicates. I was not chosen because of my Conduct, I talked too much all the time! LOL! Rex said, that's easy to believe about me! LOL! Not so much anymore!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Connie! Did you ever have a teacher who made you write sentences for talking too much??? I did! And I have done it to youngsters who talked so much they never got any seat work done. My sixth grade teacher, a first year teacher, a young guy, made me the class librarian. Then made me write 600 sentences for whispering to a kid who was checking out a book. Very unfair!!! Sixth grade was very difficult.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie does her dress have pictures of cotton in the print?
A white sport coat, and a pink caronation... I played that on the juke box, for a nickel, when we went to get a hamburger for lunch at a joint down the street from our school.
The friend, who grows cotton in a flower pot had a car! Of course we got a driver's license at age 14 back in the day.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  3:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we could zip about like the Jetsons did, in their little space cars...we could all get together for sweet tea and sweet conversations. I think we would have so many memories it might take a month, not an afternoon.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I have thought about it, writing them down, but my grand kids have no interest in my memories, yet!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's such a neat story, Connie. I love these stories.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara and Linda our state flower is blooming. I saw blue bonnets in full bloom today, a bunch of them. Spring is really here. Of course I must caution you that we will see our high temp tomorrow morning before 9am. 52°¡! Then we face three nights in the thirties before warming up again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  9:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know - a cold front coming. BRRR! Ed and I are going to the Travel and Leisure show in Dallas tomorrow. See what other new places we can learn about.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  02:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you have a wonderfully fun day.
Have you been to all 50 states?
I suppose you and Ed could sell both of your homes, but a big new rig and just travel.
I've heard of people doing that, have known personally just one couple who did it. They had no kids.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, those pictures are priceless! Don't feel bad... I was in trouble a lot for talking. Especially in the 4th grade for some reason. That teacher had it in for me! She even moved my desk away from the "groups". I did NOT like her, either!
Marilyn, I can't believe your grands aren't interested! Just wait...they will be. I love to hear all of you girls' stories.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprise, surprise! We awoke tto winter this morning. Not really but the North wind blowing at 20-25 mph sure makes it cool. It is 50, but feels more like 40 or lower.
Yesterday after noon while Baylee was sitting with Shadow the land lady called and told her they had to move. It seems that Bay had told her they might break their lease early if T gets the call to go to basic training. So the land lady has a girl who needs a place to live asap. They have to be out By tomorrow evening! That is fast!
We learned this week that they are going to build a new Southern loop around town... And it could come within a mile of so of our property! That is not good! But today we saw work on two more new homes going up even further out. This is crazy!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We woke up to a beautiful sunny day! My girls are happy because today was Spring cleaning the coop day. From the dusty cobweb-by rafters to the floors. We shoveled out the fertilizer for the garden into the compost pile and put down new fresh straw after the drying out period. It did bother one hen because she wanted in the nest boxes and couldn't get to them while we were cleaning. But it didn't bother another, she just left hers in the yard. LOL! While waiting for the coop to air out I washed the garbage cans. Today is also taking the trash to the dump day.. The kids came over and started cleaning out the garden. Their mom pitched in with the coop and figured as long as we were working they would help out. So after the airing the girls have their nice fresh straw in their nests and coop, their water-er got another good washing out and they seemed to be pretty happy with the new look. I moved on to getting my car cleaned out, vacuumed and scrubbed down. I am itching to start on Spring cleaning out the garage but that will be another day. I have about had it and I still have kitchen things to do today. But first a shower, then supper, then onto my book, a cup of tea and spending the evening with them!
Hope everyone else has had a great day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 30 2019 1:17:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  1:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a good day here, blur sky I am all for that!
Out my front window all the way to the ocean!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  1:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, your sky is beautiful!
Marilyn I will look closer at the original picture. That scan is not too clear.
Marilyn, My teacher made me write 100 times, I will not talk in class!! Then He tore them up! I gasp! He said, what did you think I was gonna do, Frame them!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Mar 30 2019 1:54:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a freeze warning tonight!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  2:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I had teachers that didn't like me because I talked too much. I would get so excited I would forget to raise my hand and talk out of turn! My 4th grade teacher was my favorite!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  2:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,we love your stories! Just like Sara Said, somebody starts a subject and it triggers memories for us!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  2:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, glad you had a good day for cleaning! It was 72 here Thursday and Friday.raining and cold today!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  2:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie the hens were sure happy with their nice clean coop. I hate going in there with all those cobwebs from over winter. They make a lot of dust those girls!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 30 2019 2:19:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, your sky is beautiful.
Connie, I love your teachers responce.
After I watered horses, scraped the alleys, then cleaned up after one messy one, I delivered eggs up to Julie. There I found everyone looking windblown, rushed and tired. Moving is difficult. When I came home I found that the wind had blown a power line down so I had to detour around to the sunroom door to get inside. I told my husband, He looked at it and called our son. Then we went to work. We first wrapped fleece blankets around our three baby chicks in the tub, and also the incubator which is in hatching mode today. Then a ladder was needed so our son could go up and reattach the power line. My job was to open this long grey metal box and throw the main house breaker. Thankfully they fixed it quickly. Then our son went to move B and T's sofa, washer and dryer, table and chairs to the storage unit they rented. I hope the remainder of the day is peaceful and more normal. I think we have had enough excitement.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 30 2019 2:50:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Marilyn! busy busy Saturday!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2019 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, Marilyn. Youu have been BUSY! So sorry about Baylee's having to move so quickly. I guess her husband is joining the service? Will they be living with her parents then?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Winds Do Blow~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page