Page: of 11

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  10:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check into the Birdcage theater. Sounds interesting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  10:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara and Connie, I hope you are both feeling better. Seasonal changes can effect many chronic conditions, including arthritic joints. We are so glad when you feel well enough to participate!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeling much better today. My sinuses are the issue and so I know what to do for them it just takes a bit of time. It is due to weather changes, especially changes in the barometric pressure. The back ache is so much better. I guess resting yesterday did the trick. I hate just sitting around though. I would have done handwork if it had just been my back and not a headache also.

On to better days for us all! Keeping everyone in prayer who is dealing with physical problems due to the changing seasons.
Debbie, I too use a form of peppermint, it is called tension tamer and it has peppermint, and wintergreen in it and I put it on my temples. That s when I know it is coming and doesn't turn into a migraine.

Marilyn, I'm sorry about your friends who headaches turned out to be something worse but I try not to get worried thinking it could be something like that especially when I deal with this on a regular basis. It causes anxiety for me so I try to keep things in perspective as to what is going on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  12:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pain is better, thanks to Cannibus oil. I never thought I would do this, but my son has had such good results with his knees, and Baylee with her wrists, I decided to try. After a month on the 350, I bought some 550. Wow! It really works! The 550 gives you 37 mg per dose, where as the 350 gives 23 mg per dose.
We all use the Green Roads brand. My son orders from the company, my first bottle came from a place where my husband purchased a different product, but I went to a local smoke(tobacco) shop and bought the 550.
If you have a lot of pain...check it out.
The man who owns the smoke shop said he has had two vertebrae in his neck fused, but was still having pain in his shoulder. So four months ago he started taking cannabis oil. He takes a dropper full at night, before bed. He is using 350. So he is using two bottles each month. I was taking 3 to 5 drops in the morning and the same at bed time, much less than him. Maybe that is why I still had pain. I will say this... Since I had Hemp oil in my fridge, I started taking two droppers of hemp oil under my tongue, after a minute I swallowed it and used the drops of cannabis oil, also under the tongue for a minute, then swallowed. My pain level was better for the last four days, but this morning I was amazed when I took five drops of the new cannibus...almost instant relief of the pain!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, when you visit Tombstone, AZ, you will be where my cousin, ancestor was the sherriff. Wyatt Earp! His mother was a Cooksey as was my maternal great grandmother!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  05:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Marilyn, I am glad you got such a positive result so quickly from the Cannibus oil. I think we are beginning to find new and helpful ways that the Cannibus plant can help with medical issues.

Denise, I hope you can continue to keep those allergies at bay and not suffer with sinus issues. I have a friend in Oklahoma who has had an awful time with everything blooming. This year has been the worst ever for her. Like you, some days my head hurts all day long in a band right over the sinus area of my face. Nothing really makes it better. The next day, it can be gone. I have been living on Benadryl , which is the only antihistamine I can safely take. It rained yesterday and then some blustery winds blew across Florida and the pollen was blowing like snow all day long! UGH!! Guess who has been coughing and hiding inside?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  05:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son takes Noni. He is very allergic to horse hair, and when you have as many horses as he has, and you interact with them for hours each day...Anyway he used to be so miserable each spring and autumn...no more. He has taken Noni for many years and it works.
My husband bought some Cedar Honey at our local flea market last weekend. The older gentleman told him it is good for allergies, and he puts a teaspoon in his coffee each morning. It is a very dark honey, but tasty. I actually thought he had purchased molasses. Since I have been having some allergy symptoms, I just swallow a teaspoon of the cedar honey each morning now. We shall see.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The March winds are really blowing today, and Mr. Sun is not here so it is rather cool. When I came from the barn chores I walked around the yard and took some photos.
Top pic is some flowers, looks like they may be white???
Next pic is Crepe myrtle, they do have tiny leaflets. They are the very last to leaf out. Very cautious. But I have had them get frozen.
Next is Burr oak, planted from seed, now about 18' tall.
Next is the old pecan tree. Pecans are usually late, leafing out just before crepe myrtles, we shall see.
Next is Post Oak.
The last photo looks like tiny roses but is one of the tame grapes.
The wild mustang grapes already have leaves and tiny grape clusters.
So I guess it is spring time in Texas!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 28 2019 10:27:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  10:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, Betty says "when pecan and Bois D'Ark trees bloom no more frost." She has both on her farm and they are blooming. So is a grape vine. Bois D'Ark trees are also known as horse apple or Osage orange trees.

Enjoy seeing your pictures. Looking forward to others as you walk around.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm excited now, after my tour of some of our plants. I also saw lots of red leaves on rose bushes,and some dandelions.
How are you today Sara?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for asking, Marilyn. To use an old cotton grading term - I'm feeling fair to middling.

Bobbie is coming for a snack at 3 p.m. We're splitting an order of chicken tenders from Stop & Go. It'll be an early supper for me. If I get hungry later on I have Jell-O w/bananas in the fridge.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I do understand fair to middling! But you know I grew up in cotton growing and ginning country
And did not know that was a cotton grading term. I even have a scale hanging around somewhere.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  2:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn my only claim to cotton is I picked it one summer when I was 12. That summer taught me I would starve picking cotton so the next summer I babysat. I babysat each summer until I was 15 and mother signed for me to get my social security card. I worked that summer at a department store in the shoe department. You know selling shoes was almost as hard as picking cotton. lol My teenage years I worked at another department store after school and during summers. To this day I pickup after myself in a store.

I did look up middling in the directory and it's a moderate good grade. So I guess I am doing moderating good today or like I said yesterday I was doing so-so.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I do hope you are feeling better.

Winnie, I definitely understand and the allergy season is just starting here. None of the trees are even close to blossoming so I know there is more yet to come. Today has also been a good day. I am just so grateful for the good ones to get us through the rough ones.

I was able to go out to the grocer's today. It is a job I just don't care for but has to be done. It is so different shopping for just the two of us. I find I can get a tad bit more creative with our meals.

Jbear is still looking for work. He called today to decompress a bit. We have some situations going on all over the place here and I think the stress gets to him even though it is not his to stress over. That is just the type of person he is and he takes on things that aren't meant for him. So I am just praying that he will find a place that suits him for work.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara feel better!

My mom used to say fair to middling , I just thought it was her saying, She was from Oklahoma.

Take everyone,
I love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  7:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, my first job was at Perry Brothers, for three days before Christmas, to watch for people trying to steal Blue Waltz perfume. I was a freshman in college. That taught me that I did not enjoy retail. I learned another lesson...don't ever go shoe shopping on Christmas eve...the shoes go on sale the day after Christmas. I worked to get money for a pair of school shoes, and I did. But I learned two valuable lessons too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  8:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Feel better, Sara.

There is a large field of cotton between my house and the closest WalMart and to Ed's house. We pass it all the time.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  11:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair to middling must be commonly used everywhere. We use it in Minnesota , a long way from cotton.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  03:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie according to the directory fair to middling is a grade that can apply to things other than cotton. In fact it doesn't even mention cotton. At one time cotton was king in Texas and around here it still is. Just up the road from Betty's farm is acres of cotton & corn. I remember hearing about king cotton growing up. Blackland and cotton just went together.

Talking about cotton has reminded me Lisa 'nubidane' on MJF sent me some cotton seed from her cotton plant. Got to get them in a container. She also sent some hyacinth bean seeds. Gotta find a place for them too. Sunny places are hard to find around my little yard. Too many tall pine and oak trees casting shade. My backyard is in total shade except for half of my deck.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My best friend in high school lived on a farm. Her dad planted lots of cotton. Two rows of cotton then two rows of black eyed peas, two of cotton, etc. The following year the cotton grew where the peas had grown the year before.He was very smart and had the most beautiful cotton fields. We went out to pick his peas, just a couple of bushels, which did not make a dent in them. He grew the peas to enrich the soil. Each year he turned them under to decompose.
His kids still have the farm. Cotton still grows there, but the kids don't grow it, someone else leased the fields. She plants cotton seeds in a large clay pot each year and they grow, on her patio in Arlington, Texas.
My grandpa Robinson and his second son were dry land cotton farmers up in Knox County.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear others grow cotton in pots. The cotton around Betty is grown by out of state large companies. I don't think they own the land but lease it.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I remember about growing cotton, which we did when I was tiny, until I was three, almost four, was my parents hoeing weeds.
I remember two very traumatic events. I was 3 and 1/2 when my parents told me to watch the babies, as they sat on a folded quilt near the growing cotton. My parents were hoeing the first row. I had a sleeve of crackers to give the babies. I guess the crumbs must have attracted the red ants. Next I remember babies cries turning into screams and parents running towards us. they ripped the diapers off the babies and removed the red ants. Then they loaded three crying kids in the car and took us home, where they bathed those two with soda water.
Then one day daddy was hoeing alone, while mother got the dirty clothes ready to take to the laundromat. My sister began to throw up, she could not stop. So mother told me to latch the screen door, and watch my brother who had just learned to walk and loved the floppy knobs on the propane cookstove.
Mother ran with my sister in her arms, toward my daddy. He was a long way off because I could see the car, and it looked little. Mother told me, years later when I asked about my memories of the event,that when daddy saw her he jumped into the car and drove fast...So much so that she feared he would run over them. He stopped, safely, got them into the car. Raced to the house to get us, then drove very fast to Seymour (15 or so miles away) to the hospital. They both thought they were going to lose their blonde, blue eyed toddler. But after lots of attention from good nurses and the doctor, a time sitting in that square, white, built in tub for a long time...they let us take her home. (Notice my description of that tub??? We had a double #10 wash tub as our bath tub at home. Mother heated the bath water in a kettle on the cook stove.)
We stopped for a case of Orange juice on the way home. It came in tall cans back tnen. Mother said, "No More sweet tea for kids, only orange juice." My sister had been constipated. Not long after that I had problems and was taken to the hospital and left overnight. Same problem. Then we moved to Lubbock.
So for eight months daddy did not how cotton.
Then we went to Bailey County to help my mother's uncle...hoe cotton, among other things.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 29 2019 08:46:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  09:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love your stories!!! You should write them down!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  1:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved all your Cotton stories!!! Cotton use to be King in Memphis!! Cotton and Elvis!! Elvis still is every August!

All the Cotton Exchange Buildings took up all of the River Front Street in Downtown Memphis. Some of them are now Cotton Museums. Mike and Frank from That TV show "American Pickers" were here last year and they bought some Cotton advertising signs and a Kit that grades the Cotton, It has those names on it Sara mentioned and some very old Salesman kits for selling Cotton,and a ton of stuff. They have a store in Nashville too and Iowa. A very rich, kinda nutty man owns some of the Cotton Exchange buildings, Prince Mongo Hodges, he is from another planet!! he says!! you can google him, he ran for mayor every year for decades. Mike and Frank were entertained by him for certain!

It was a celebration! Every May, The King and Queen of the Cotton Carnival was selected and boys and girls from Elementary schools all over the city were chosen to ride on the River Barge with the King and Queen as part of their court. My husband was chosen one year. I will have to dig up his picture, he was in 6th grade. The Cotton Carnival was also a huge Fair held down by the River front and we got out of school each year to go. It was so beautiful by the river, with all the lights reflecting in the water.
My mom use to get out of school to pick cotton. All my Granny's brothers grew cotton and everyone in her family picked it in Dyersburg and Ripley Tennessee.

The Pink Palace Museum in Memphis, has a whole room dedicated to The Memphis Cotton Carnival dating back to the late 1800's. The Pink Palace use to be a private home owned by Clarence Saunders who invented the first serve yourself grocery, Piggly Wiggly.

Sad that its all gone now. Like in many bigger cities,too much crime downtown destroyed it. The Cotton Carnival by the river ended in the 1970s. They still choose a King and Queen and have a Celebrity Ball to raise money for Charity, but nothing like what it use to be.
There is a meat packing plant here called King Cotton that is still going strong. Cotton Celebration was a big part of our childhood growing up here.
I love that we are surrounded by Cotton Fields, They look like snow in late October right before Harvest.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love it when one FarmGirl's story sparks a memory of another. It's like we're sitting around a kitchen table with an red & red checked oil cloth tablecloth drinking sweet tea and swapping stories.

Marilyn and Connie love your stories.

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 29 2019 2:07:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Winds Do Blow~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page