TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone! I was so warm under the covers, now I see that it is 25°. That is not going up very fast. It is supposed to be 35 by 9 am. I doubt it will make it.But the good news, Mr. Sun is here. There is hope.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is sunny - but COLD!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  06:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought some sugar snap peas seeds yesterday, and was hoping to plant them, but it has to be warmer than this for me to want to go outside.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  07:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn hope it warms up in a couple of days so you can plant your peas. I'm waiting to see if my green onions will bounce back from the teens we had earlier.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  08:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is supposed to rain again today!

Whee!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  12:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my. Are you expecting flooding again?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I came back from the barn I noticed a bunch of greens that had fallen victim to the teens. Not sure what kind but some are still there just as green as ever. I have a plant book that might help me identify them...but I'm too cold to care right now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COLD,Cold,cold here today. I am so ready for Spring. The green of the daffodils is still working on coming up. Sure hope the groundhog was right but I am having my doubts.

Working on catching up on laundry today. Grandkids will be here tomorrow for the night as the youngest has oral surgery scheduled for tomorrow. They are excited because JT's mom is here and it is rare they get to spend time with their great grandma.

It is so cold that all I want to do today is sleep. Of course that could have something to do with the weekend and being tired out from playing with the grandchildren. LOL.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  3:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the weather thread Marilyn and I were talking about St Paul's Hospital in Dallas. One memory leads to another and another.

In Howe I lived next door to a VA nurse who got her nursing license during WWII, She was from a ranch in OK and came to Dallas to study nursing. At that time the student nurses lived in VA hospital housing next to the hospital. She met another nurse from OK and they became friends that lasted until 2009 when one died - the other passed in 2010. Both women married in their forties and married an uncle and nephew and moved to Howe where I met them.

Oh, the stories those two women could tell about their early days of nursing and the adventures they had. One of their stories was in the 1960s when they went to Cuba with other nurses. They were having a good time until all Americans were told to leave the island. They didn't know until they were back in the states that Cuba had fallen to Castrol. They laughed about being in an revolution and not knowing it.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2019 :  9:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is another great story Sara. Thanks for sharing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  04:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That’s interesting Sara.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  04:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love it when people share their stories with you? Thanks for sharing them with us Sara. I always enjoy these! Very interesting.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  4:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I love the story of your two nurse friends!! I would have loved to have met them and heard their stories of patient care in WWI and other emergencies. What a privilege! Thanks for sharing their story here.

I also love that you are writing another story because I enjoy reading them so much!! That Pearl is a Hoot!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The March winds are really blowing here today. Hoping it calms down a bit before tomorrow. I don't like to go out in it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got windy about 4pm. It is supposed to last until tomorrow.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My groceries were just delivered by a young woman who shopped with her two year son. She said she had wanted to work but didn't want to put him in daycare. I had never thought about mothers shopping with their children - why not? - mothers shop with children all the time without getting paid. From the time she unloaded her car - put my groceries on the counter - and left she must have been here less than 5 minutes so her son was okay in the car for that long. If she delivers my groceries again I will let her know she can park in my driveway rather than on the street. Even just 5 minutes you can't be too safe when it comes to a child.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  12:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Been blowing hard here since around 6 PM yesterday - lots of branches down. And lots of water.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda we're still under a wind advisory and water is everywhere. Slow to drain today. So far my big oak has not lost branches.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
March wind is blowing tonight! Sounds like a lion! My daughter is stuck in Denver, all flights cancelled due to a blizzard! May get home tomorrow.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  6:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all be safe out there, it isn’t going to be pretty!
Hugs!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We've been busy the past few weeks.

Ed and I are trying to decide how to take our two houses with acreage and get down to one. Keeping up with two properties that need work is hard. We are thinking of building a new house on his property - he has 2 ponds, better view and better soil. We love my old house, but old houses need more and more TLC, repairs, and upkeep. That means $$$. We have looked at some house plans, but haven't found just the right one. I need to have a room for all my fabric, sewing machines, and sewing/quilting supplies. Does anyone have any good house plans?

A friend just bought a new-to-them house, and they are replacing the kitchen floor. It was snap-and-click wood flooring, and we could use it, so Wednesday Ed and I took out the old flooring and took it to his house. It looks like there is enough flooring for both bedrooms in Ed's small house. Tomorrow we are laying the flooring in the maiin bedroom so we can use it. Then we will verify that there is enough for the other bedroom.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 14 2019 8:09:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  12:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, how is your hip doing with all of the diy work?
I am curious, how much rain did you and Sara get? Our gauge showed an inch and two tenths, but like you both said " there is water everywhere! " I'm wondering if the winds were so strong that we got some sideways rain that did not go in the guages.
Linda, we used to have an airline pilot and flight attendant as neighbors. They built a new home. It had an entry way that was long enough to hold a beautiful old hutch/sideboard where she displayed her lovelies. So the left side of the entry was more open, so you could see the living area, and from that large room you could see the hutch. The kitchen was at the front of the house, basically a long run of uppers and lowers with sink, then a long wide island that she set up her buffets on. Leading off the living room to the left was a guest bathroom, then the master suite. Bath, Closet and bedroom. Since they both flew international that was their space...but there was also a guest area. Just past the hutch was a door, a short hallway two nice sized bedrooms each with its own bathroom, closets as well as extra storage. The nice thing was that it was set up with its own water, heat and air conditioning. If they were gone a lot they did not have to wonder about water lines freezing or did they forget to change the thermostat. Saved money too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  12:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have long dreamed of having a long den, with large "closets" down one or both sides and Windows at the end, with wood stove. I thought one closet could be a library or reading area with comfy chair and lots of shelves for books. One closet could be the fabric stash area, again with great shelving, and a cutting table. One closet would be the sewing machine, serger and embroidery machine area. These closets would be large. But you could close the door and no one would see the mess.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  06:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda you have been to my house and seen how my kitchen leads into laundry room - laundry room into my bathroom - my bathroom into my bedroom. I like having all those rooms connected. If I was to build a house I would connect those rooms by doors or a short hall.

A large sewing/quilting room would be nice in same area as the above.
A covered porch off your s/q room would be a bonus - maybe another room could open on to it too. Does Ed need or want a man cave?

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Marilyn. My hip has been accting up a lot lately = especially with the weather, I think. I have good days and bad days. My rain guage showed 2 inches the last time.

Sara and Marilyn - Love the house ideas. It is so hard to figure out a house plan that will satisfy needs that change through the years. We've seen lots of plans with a bonus room, but the bonus room is usually upstairs, and both of us aren't going to be able to do that forever. Another quilting friend/neighbor who may be moving to another state soon, said she also looks for a house with a garage that could be or was already converted to a family room for her quilting (she has a longarm). She said you can always build another garage.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Winds Do Blow~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page