True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise.
When we were in town late yesterday we went to HEB to pick up my husband's prescriptions, and get some meat. I saw two young people gathering things into one of those small baskets. I assumed they were getting things for a curbside order because they kept checking their phones.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's a sad story, Marilyn. So nice that your son had you go get her so she could say her goodbyes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kerry Gold is delicious and when they have a sale, I often purchase it and keep it in the freezer. The same goes for Vital Farms butter and eggs. You can google their site and I appreciate the quality of life that the animals lead. Also, the company is made up small family farms from a variety of states. I like supporting small farmers as I know it is a life of hard dedicated work and at the mercy at times of bad weather. I find both of their products to be very good and don't mind paying a bit extra to support the effort.

Tuesday, we are going over to St. Augustine Beach for two days and a night with some friends. We are going to have very cold weather again, so it isn't ideal time to go, but we promised our friends who are camping that we would come over. Luckily, we aren't camping!! LOL!! Weather in the 30s at night doesn't seem like a quality fun time to me. But then, I am not a veteran camper!!One positive thing is that nobody at the campsite will have to worry about mosquitoes!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  11:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the butters.

I think 30 degrees is a bit chilly to be camping but like you say there is always a plus without the mosquitos.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having just come inside from my watering horses duties...I certainly hope you take lots of warm clothes and blankets too, Winnie. The wind is like ice out tbere. I learned long ago that when the wind does not blow, if you are dressed well, 20° may find you removing a layer. Not today though!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had always read about kids and horses and the special relationships that some have. I felt blessed to see Bay and Big Red. Sadly, Wade had just had a new saddle made for her, her second one,it was her Christmas gift that year. She only got to use it about four months before he died. Sure she rode other horses, but that love and connection were not there. She is so comfortable on horse back, but she chose a hubby who was not a cowboy. He can ride but rarely does.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have fun and stay warm, Winnie.

I'll have to try that Kerry Gold butter. Sounds delicious. My mother always used butter instead of margarine. I do the same now, except sometimes a little for baking.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember when margarine was called oleo?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  03:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when oleo was white and came with a wee tablet of orange dye to color it. That was one of my jobs as a 6 year old. Hadn't thought about that in years. Read somewhere the dairy farmers at that time got a law passed that oleo could not be the color of butter so that's why we dyed it.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom us e to scrape a carrot and squeeze the juice. She let my brother and I mix it in the butter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  07:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several of my grandma's recipes where she has oleo written instead of butter. I remember her telling me about having to color it yourself.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  08:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember coloring it but my mother probably did that. I remember as a young married person, shopping for groceries, you could buy sticks or a whole pound of yellow grease molded or cut into shape.
When they began messing around, adding water, etc I abandoned margarine and went for butter, only. I use butter even in a cake recipe that calls for something else. I have used it in pie crusts, but Lard is so much better.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't it made of cotton seed oil??? Sara you always have the bestest tidbits of history!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  10:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cottonseed oil I think came before corn oil so it might have been used. Once in a great while I still see cottonseed oil listed on a label and I don't buy that product.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  10:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we were milking cows, 1981- 1984?? They mixed cotton seed meal in the dairy cows feed. I remember, because when I bought my pigs, with the intention of sweeping up the feed that the cows spilled, and feeding it to the pigs, my husband said pigs cannot digest cotton seed meal. So I built a box on legs with screen wife bottom and washed the feed, then mixed it with fresh cow milk and fed that to my pigs, along with their other food.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I have found many of my mom's recipes and they call for oleo. I don't think they make it anymore.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 04 2019 1:16:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  5:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember hearing about oleo but don't know that I ever used it. My mom may have.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  03:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I took a Wikipedia trip to Margarine...and learned that it was invented in the early 1800s in France to provide a butter like product for the military and the poor.
The reason for coloring packets, tablets, capsules was because people thought it looked like beef tallow and lard.( For good reason!) Also the dairy people did not want it to be the same color as their butter.
Yes it has been known as oleo, marge, and of course margarine. Most of it is made from vegetable oils now...including soy and cottonseed. So if you use it read the lables.
The depression and WWll brought shortages of butter and many women purchased margarine.
So unless you lived on a farm and churned your own butter, or had plenty of money to pay the price for butter...I'm sure you used margarine, oleomargarine, oleo, marge, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  05:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn for oleo info. I haven't used anything but butter and EVOO for decades. My rule of thumb is buy what has the least listed ingredients. Can't go wrong with just butter or olive oil.

A little tip on buying olive oil. To be labeled olive oil in the US it has to be 100% OO. Italian OO can be any mixture of OO and other oils. The other oils do not have to be listed.

I ordered from Prime Pantry this morning. Buy many of my staples and all of Annie's treats/food that way. They have 'past purchases' that I can click on and re-order items. Makes it easy for me. Everything I ordered was a re-ordered item.

When I order groceries from local store to be delivered I pretty much just order produce, meat, dairy, and what's on sale.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  06:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Oleo too! It was the new thing and my Mom loved using it. My Dad, however, felt it was too fake and so we always had a stick of regular butter in a butter dish for him to use. My Dad grew up on a dairy farm and he always believed that modern upgrades to food items were not necessarily good one. He only ate whole wheat bread or dark rye bread, only used butter, ate lots of salads and just used Champagne vinegar as a dressing, and stayed away from sweets except for a special occasion. He never took any drugs for Blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes etc.and lived to age 97. Perhaps a testimony against refined carbs like white breads and hydrogenated fats??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  06:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I think your dad was on to something!
Sara, I agree with you about the fewer ingredients, the better....and avoiding the ingredients that you can't even pronounce!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The fewer ingredients the better sounds great, Sara.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know those foods now as whole foods. When we were growing up eating them they were just food. We ate very little processed stuff. Mostly just from the garden and meats we raised.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  2:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, aren't you glad your dad stuck to his guns about what was good for him to eat.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  11:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time I used oleo I was trying to melt it in the microwave, it would not melt. I decided that way s very bad stuff for anyone. I use butter mostly for everything or I use it wit olive oil too. I just like the flavor from the butter. Peanut oil is good but very expensive. I do use corn oil though for somethings, I won’t buy Soy it messes with hormones and it is everything and breads.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Winds Do Blow~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page