Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winter Wonderland~December 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 9

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  10:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember that my mother taught me to sew when I was ten. It was not a fun summer. I was to make a new blouse for school that fall. Sleeveless, Peter pan collar , buttons and button holes! I sure did a lot of taking out stitches and she did a lot of fussing at me. Or perhaps I really tried her patience. Then in 7th grade I made a super messy pot holder. My grade was 40. Boy was my mother mad! Somehow she and the teacher taught me and I made a nice duster as well as Ellie the elephant. Then I began to make my own clothes. Lots of ribbon sewn on ruffles of net for can can peticoats. When I took sewing in high school I had the same teacher from 7th grade. I was pretty good by then, and she let me be her helper. We had a fashion show that spring. I had made my dress as well as two for litt!e girls,complete with matching purses. We got a little girl to model and the teacher helped me sell the two litt!e dresses.My senior year, on nights when I had little homework I sewed in my parents closet where mother had her machine. I made house shoes. I experimented. I had fun! Of course I also had to fix my daddy's work gloves. He would buy 12 pair at a time. He had been in a oil field accident, long before he married. He lost his little finger and ring finger. So it was my job to sew across those fingers and cut off the extra fabric, so he would not get tangled up. And I had to fix only one glove of each pair.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 28 2018 10:10:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  07:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My mother made several Christening "dresses" out of the trains of wedding dresses for friends and relatives. She made several fancier dresses for me.
I took sewing in home economics my freshman year in high school. I had sewn so much by then that I always finished the projects early, so I was the teacher's helper and helped the other girls with theirs. I cut corners, so to speak, when I sewed, so when I was helping others I had to remember to let them do it the way the teacher wanted them to do it. LOL!
When I went to college I took my mother's Featherweight with me and made costumes for fraternity dances for other girls in the dorm. I once made a nuns outfit out of one of the bed sheets for another girl. I made quite a few of my clothes, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I can't tell from picture very well but they look like the bullet bobbins my treadle machine uses. But they are needles?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  1:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 29 2018 5:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  4:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, I love all of your sewing stories! I have both my grandma's treadle machine and my husband's great grandma's treadle machine. Both are in my living room, I'm using one as an end table right now. I keep thinking I need to open my grandma's up and use it one of these days. I remember learning how to sew on it when I was about 10. I decided to start with a pair of capri shorts for Barbie, pink and white gingham. Those were some little seams! Mom was busy and I needed her to fix the bobbin. She was busy so I decided it would probably work without a bobbin....not so well! I think I might enjoy using it now, though.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I too deleted my comments, which were my observations of things I have seen.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  7:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise - The bullet looking things are the shuttles. The bobbins, which are long skinny spools, go into the shuttles and then into the shuttle carrier in the sewing machine. The display box I bought contains mainly shuttles and needles, and a few bobbins.

I didn't realize there were so many different shuttles for the older machines. This display case has places for 12 different shuttles (there are 10 shuttles in my case that represent only 6 of the 12 different shuttles) and 32 different needles (2 sizes for each of 16 different needle numbers). The two needle sizes are 30-80 and 40-100. My display case has some of ALL needles except for both sizes of needle #26. NOTE: Some of the needles are round, with no flat side, and others have the flat side like most of the machine needles of today. This is probably much more than you wanted to know. LOL!

Here's a picture: starting top left and going down then top right and down:
Flanged wooden tube that each shuttle is in, a #5 shuttle, and a #5 bobbin. (The lid of the shuttle tubes has the shuttle number on them.)
Flanged tube and lid that the needles come in (note the top has a red 4) and 3 #4 needles

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 29 2018 8:10:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  8:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are just like the bobbins and bobbin shuttles I have on my treadle Linda.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of treadle do you have. I can look up what number shuttle your machine uses. One of my Singer 128 machines has a bobbin that is not pictured on my display case. So these are not ALL of them. LOL! Maybe the one in my machine is not a BOYE brand.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  8:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a Singer. I looked it up when I first got my machine and that is how I purchased bobbins and a couple extra belts. I think I found them kn EBay.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  8:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda you are learning and teaching us too. I always thought the wooden things just held needles. So I've learned something new today! I do remember those funny bobbins and the shuttles. I guess I never put a bobbin in a shuttle then into a machine...because I did not know that either!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  8:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise -

Most of the Singers take a shuttle #15 - and, I have 2 of those in my case. LOL! And the needles would have been 16 flat shank, 23 round shank, and 18 R W & W Style (I'm looking that up now - LOL!).

Here's a picture of the shuttle it says are for the Singers:

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2018 :  9:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -

Here are my 2 Singer 128 machines with the shuttles with bobbins in them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  01:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing, Linda. So shiny and pretty!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  4:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mystery is solved. Back in the summer I was on my sideporch (carport) when something landed on the roof. I walked out to the driveway so I could see the top of the sideporch. A dead squirrel was half hanging off and I heart the fluttering of wings. It must have been a big bird to drop the squirrel.

Sometime later I was sitting on the sideporch watching the birds line up on my neighbor's wood privacy fence just feet away from me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something black swoop down and the birds flew off.

Tonight Annie was barking at my computer room window that overlooks my backyard. She wanted out so I let her and watched as she looked up into the big oak tree and there it was a large black bird. Maybe a hawk - maybe an owl. I couldn't tell because it's back was to me and it was getting dark. In seconds it flew away toward the big trees in the yards behind me.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  4:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either one of those will take small animals. When we lived down south I use to see hawks and owls swoop down and grab snakes. It's a weird sight to see that going overhead. I never let the dog out alone because the one we had then was a small breed.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 30 2018 4:08:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  6:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
could have been either, Sara. I think a hawk or owl took my cat about 5 years ago. One day Jake was here and the next he wasn't. All I ever found was a little fur in the backyard. I miss Jake every day. He was a special cat to me. And Jake was a 16 pound cat.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 30 2018 6:34:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  9:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was driving home one night many years ago, different place, but I had to stop in the narrow dirt road because an owl had stolen a big hen! He was struggling to lift the hen as well as himself up and over the top of the trees to a safe place to enjoy his dinner. It took several minutes, and several attempts and I watched in amazement!
Our neighbors had 18 hens taken by hawks, in less than a week, two years ago. They were in a pasture area.
Hawks send out the message when there is potential food to be had. One hawk watching the tractor and plow work the field will soon be joined by many many others. Because the fat round rodents that are unearthed by the plow must be very tasty to them. This is also fascinating to watch!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 30 2018 9:29:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2018 :  9:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have never seen that, Marilyn. I'll bet it was interesting to watch. My son - just 2 miles down the road - has had many chickens taken by hawks. They have no chickens now.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  02:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bird is probably a hawk because I haven't heard an owl since I have been in Paris. Though the first two times it was here it was around dusk and it was after dark tonight so it could have been an owl.

My sister has lost chickens to hawks too - not to mention skunks, coons, snakes, and coyotes. Stray cats and dogs will go after chickens too.

It's a little after 4a.m. and it's raining. I wonder if it rained all night.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 31 2018 02:38:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  04:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had fox and weasel get our chickens. A weasel will leave the chicken's body though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  04:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister says a skunk will eat the chicken's head and leave the body. Denise I didn't think of foxes and I should of. Years ago it snowed and two beautiful red foxes came to my backyard. I called the A&M Extension Agent to see if I should feed them or not. He said no because they kill cats. Don't know if we have weasels. Have never seen or heard of one being around but who knows what lives in our woods and along creeks. We have mountain lions so why not weasels.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  07:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I sure wouldn't want to tangle with a mountain lion. So far we haven't had any problems with this flock but it has also been a mild winter so far. It's when food gets scarce they start coming closer to the houses.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  08:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I haven't seen one but before I moved to Paris a pair of mountain lions were seen by the local police 1/2 mile from my old house. My sister has heard them and saw one crossing her front yard. She lives on 140 acres 30 minutes east of me.

Little bit of Texas history: last known jaguar killed in Texas was in Ft Worth in 1940s.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2018 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Owls will just eat the head of a chicken as well. Sigh. Almost all the chickens the owl killed in our broiler pen were decapitated. And heads were nowhere to be seen.

We are currently snowed in here at our house. The drifts are taller than my 7 year old! Hubby was told not to come in to work... but now he is about to try to get into town because we need food for the animals. We weren't prepared, as we were only suppose to get a couple inches. sigh. We moved our boy goats in with our girls... We also moved our ducks into the brooder part of our static coop. It is FRIGID!!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page