Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winter Wonderland~December 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 9

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2018 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a wonderful meal, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2018 :  4:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, your little tree with ornaments from your Mom and Dad are so cute in that crock at the bottom f the stairs! How wonderful to have such treasures keepsakes to enjoy at Christmas .

Sounds like lots of good eats at various homes!! Everyone enjoy!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2018 :  7:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda. It was pretty good. My son said he could have a wonderful meal of beans, Mexican salad and the peppers and onions I had prepared. I was blessed to find four baggies of cut up peppers in the freezer. Some were jalapenos from Roberts tub garden. Not too hot just spicy.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 23 2018 7:30:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  07:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas however you celebrate. We enjoyed a wonderful day with our family. Though not everyone was here it was still a great time with those who could be here. Still enjoying today with my son and nephew. JT is back at work and Dave, (bil) is with him. They always have a good time working together. I hope you all are continuing to enjoy your holiday time!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  08:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, started off with a trip to town to take my husband to meet the other workers. Then to the grocery store, for lunch meat...I found lots of other goodies too. Then across the street to find Baylee a Whitmans Sampler. She did not find one in her stocking, or wrapped up under the tree...because in all of the other messs...WE BOTH forgot.
I wished I had remembered to bring my car tag renewal with me, but never thought about that. I still have a few days.
On Christmas eve Julie, Hadlee Robert and I went to look at Christmas lights. Wade begged off and stayed at home with Shadow. We suggested just driving around town, rather than going thirty miles away. They agreed and we saw the most beautiful displays. Wow! We all really enjoyed our evening. B and T were with his family. Then we had Christmas yestetday. I was exhausted and Baylee was also. I could tell by her eyes and how quiet she became while opening gifts.
Today it is misting rain and very windy. My tree will come down tomorrow. It is always nice when it goes up and nice when the living room has a bit more space!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 26 2018 08:30:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I placed my 4th home delivery order. I am happy with the service but it does take work to make my shopping list with my slow laptop. I have to remind myself I am blessed to have it and there's some woman out there who would love to have it and my warm home too.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  08:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would utilize that service if we had it out here Sara. I'm glad you have it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I wish you had it too. Today I ordered 4 gals of Brookshires drinking water for canning. It was so good to have her put it on my counter top. Just a few steps to my laundry room where I store the water. So much easier on me than putting gal jugs into a grocery cart and then lugging them from car to kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that is great! Going to Wal-Mart on Saturday mornings with hubby is exhausting to me. We each get a cart and the only things that go into his are dog food, cat food, and all of the other things he and Hadlee find. My buggy gets the groceries.Mine is the heavy one. And it takes me longer with my list, so they are standing waiting impatiently for me to finish! They want lunch!!! When we get home it is time to fill the garden wagon, pull it to the back door and carry all of the bags inside.,well you know what comes next! After that I get to sit down and rest a few minutes. I enjoy going alone because I go early on a week day. There are too many people on Saturday. I want to get to the point of ordering staples on line then driving to the store to pick it up. Our HEB and
Walmart both have that service now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  10:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn when you try out ordering on line and picking up at store let us know how you like it.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  05:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will soon be the day to put away the Christmas things. Today is not that day though. Usually sometime after the new year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  05:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My tree is very dry, so I dread removing the ornaments and lights. I know that it will leave a mess when I pull it through the doorway....But it has to be done. It was a beautiful tree..and it sti!l is! Part of me hates to see it go.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put up a fake tree, so it will be staying up until after Sammi's birthday on the 16th. I'll probably take it down that weekend, as well as all the Christmas decorations, and go ahead and decorate for Valentine's Day. How oh how is it already almost a new year???

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time flies when we are having fun!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  12:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we are having a burst of 80 degree days ahead and lots of humidity. It sort of dampens that Christmas sentiment of cold weather with hot chocolate and a big warm fire!! LOL!! December is like this down here in Florida. you might get some chilly weather right around Christmas, but then it will warm way up and feel like Spring. We do lurch back and forth down here in Florida. But at least we have more cooler and drier days in our Winter season. I am slowly getting Christmas put away as I do laundry and sort through everything. With it being so warm, I am motivated to wrap up the holidays and move on to a new year. It is a good time for me to think about decluttering certain areas, get rid of old decorations and stuff I keep hanging on to etc. I also like to organize my MJF Planner for the new year with my reminders and notes. I also have a list of projects I make up each year and I like to look at that list and see what still seems interesting and what new projects I wish to add for 2019. Do any of you do this sort of thing? I am not a goal maker, but I like to keep a running list of books and ideas that I wish to dig into deeper and learn. Many things on the list are just practical stuff like how to do things easier or cheaper and other things more complex like turning your office into a log cabin!! LOL!!

Speaking of my Log Cabin, I've been reading books on life in Appalachia and there are many references to the log cabins that were lived in. The stories of these people touch me. They were hard working and struggled with deep poverty in their area. But they also were creative with few resources to make life work. I am very inspired with how they could make it on almost next to nothing. Part of the solution was the devotion of the community to help each other where they could, and share when they had more than they needed. These are values that we all can agree are important and necessary. It also makes me ask myself, am I a good neighbor? Do I share enough?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  1:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a story in our first grade readers back in the 1970s. It was about young Abe Lincoln. He and his family lived in a log cabin with a big fireplace where they cooked, warmed that one room and loft, etc. It was the only light at night, so Abe would lie down in front of the fire and read. Then his mother died. Then his dad took the wagon to go get a new wife, leaving the kids home alone. I believe Abe was the eldest. The new wife was kind to the kids, and they liked her. Now for the best part. Abe's birthday came. Snow covered the ground. But his new mom put on her long cloak and walked to the store, as it began to snow. She asked to purchase a big thick book from the top shelf. I think she had 13 pennies, which she laid on the counter. When he counted her pennies there were not enough, but when she told him how much Abe loved to read, and that it was his birthday...the shop keeper told her to take the book. She held it inside her cloak as she made her way back to the cabin in the gently falling snow...where she gave the gift to Abe. He of course was so happy. Now...is this a true story??? I have no idea, but my heart has always loved Abe, and his sweet new mom too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  3:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, stories like this one I always hope they are true. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  3:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that story is true, too, Marilyn. I grew up in Illinois, and we ALL loved Abe Lincoln there. I visited his home in Springfield a couple times.

Here is my latest antique store find - it was more than I usually pay at an antique store, but I know that it is worth it. On Wednesday, on our way home from a funeral in Shreveport, we stopped in Gladewater, Texas, to browse a few antique shops. At the last shop, aabout 15 minutes before closing, I found a vintage Boye Company Needles, Shuttles, and Bobbins case. These were used by the stores when they sold needles, shuttles, and bobbins to women who needed them. My metal case is in good condition, and had quite a few of the originial needles and shuttles that were in the case when it arrived at the store. My case had 10 shuttles, several bobbins, and 122 of the "flanged wooden tubes" that have needles in them. Most tubes have more than one needle and the shuttles are 6 different types. The more popular shuttle sizes are the ones that are not here, probably because they were put to good use by the women who sewed. This was not a $10 find, but I think I got a good deal. I googled before I bought it and found several for sale in Etsy and eBay - and this one was cheaper than almost all of them, and many of then did not list any contents in the case. A friend of mine said many people will buy the empty ones and hang them on the wall as decoration. She said if you see one on the wall it is most likely empty.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  3:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, great find and a nice addition to you sewing machine collection.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I love it. But trying to decide where to put it so it isn't just a dust collector. It's about 18" around.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  4:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Linda, I have never seen one of these or even knew they existed! It is very cool and I can see that it would be very useful to someone , like yourself, that sews a lot. Great find!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  7:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is cool !inda. I have never seen one! Will you use any of the needles or will they fit any of the machines in your collection?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  8:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Winnie and Marilyn. It is cool. I think probably SOME of the needles can be used in my machines. Not sure about the shuttles - some are used by many machines and somme only work in one machine. I didn't realize there were so many different needles - there is the flat-side needles and the completely round needles; plus the needles are a 30/80 size and a 40/100 size. Around the edge of the top are listed many many different machine manufacturers/names and it tells you which shuttle and needles are needed. The shuttle that was listed for most of the machines is not there - they were all sold, I guess. LOL! The needles for my Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch treadle are there, and they are quite a bit shorter than the others.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  8:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the shorter needles that my grandmother's old treddle machine used. Of course mother had an electric machine, but it was fun to 'sew' (piddle and play) on grandma's treddle when we visited her. Then as she got older and had electricity, someone added some wires to her old machine. I guess they had to add a little motor too.
I remember how hard it was to relearn to rock the foot peddal, rather than push it down with my foot, each time we visited. I always looked forward to sewing at grandma's house.
I was about 30 when my mother told me that she and grandma thought my sister would be the one who loved to sew. As a small child she loved to touch and stroke the scraps. I don't think she owns a machine! I know she never sewed as an adult and never taught her daughter or either grand daughter to sew. That is sad.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 28 2018 8:59:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  9:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My grandmother on my mother's side sewed a lot - she probably had a treadle, but I can't remember ever seeing a machine at the house. My mother said that when her mom made one of them a dress or shirt, she always made a second one and sold it for Christmas present money. I don't remember ever seeing a machine at my father's mother's house, either. I know my mother bought her own Featherweight when she was in college. I learned to sew making Barbie doll clothes. My mother's sewing machine was often up in the family room.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 28 2018 9:11:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page