Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 The new year for our henhouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic The new year for our henhouse Next Topic  

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  12:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about this for a while and I just wondered if any of you had any thoughts on what you would like to see us do in our hen house this year? ie; work on badges, more swaps, anything else?
Please put your ideas out here. I'd really appreciate knowing what you all would like to see going on here in the hen house.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  12:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I started to post earlier that Shannon had already put up a post about badge work...Then something in my brain said I was confused...well she did post, and so did Joyce, gingham girl. In fact they have a whole list outlined for the year...But it is over at the Wildflowers hen house next door.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 09 2019 12:56:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I'm not interested in badges or swaps but think it's a great idea for those who are. I come to our henhouse mostly for the conversation so I guess I would want more of that.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I put badges as an example. I do them on my own when I feel moved to.
I am interested to know what everyone likes about the hen house and what they would like to see more of here. I too enjoy our conversations here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 09 2019 1:16:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, in Sept. POTUS asked every one to prepare, by having food and water for at least two weeks. Of course we farm girls probably do have some food on hand, because many of us live in the country and it is so nice to look on the shelf for a new jar of salad dressing...rather than finding the keys, driving to the store etc. But being prepared for a winter power outage or a hurricane power outage can last longer than two weeks.
So perhaps we could do some research on a topic and report to the group.
Topics could be Food Storage, Water storage and filtration, power in a blackout, how to stay warm, What to do when the toilet does not flush, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds interesting Marilyn. Because everyone loses power for some reason or another and it would be good to share what we learn with one another.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not into badges either.
I learn so much by the sharing we do just visiting.
Sara, we gave Julie an Insta Pot for Christmas. She loves it and Wade brags on what she has been cooking in it!I
So when you were telling about yours probably three -four years ago...look what has happened...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last February when we could get to town again, we were in Walmart, where I was in the restroom washing my hands. Another grandma was doing the same so I asked how they survived the three days and nights in the dark.
Her response took me by surprise. She said they were cold, had no way to cook and had no water! Now I might have expected a response like that from a twenty, or thirty year old but not from a 65 year old.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Marilyn I agree, so many people now days do not think of going without for several days. Its always nice to have extra water and my cabinet always has something to eat in it. We still have natural gas to our house so I can still use my stove to heat up water or soup if I need too. We have been out of electric a few times and it was not fun but we survived. Warm blankets and hot soup. And we live in town but in the older side, its always good to be prepared for anything. Just like the water coming in the other day you just deal with it and move on.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Sherry, deal with it and move on.
This year my new grandson and my son received propane lanterns for birthday gifts. We discovered they give off a lot more light than my oil lamps, and they are useful on camping and hunting trips.
I recently watched a video about making a large candle by sticking taper candles down into a can of Crisco. they claim it burns a very long time. Put three long tapers in a tall can or two (measure and cut off the bottom( s) in a regular sized can. The tapers become the wicks. I have not made it but I have everything to make one. We shall see.
We lost power due to an ice storm...no lights, no phones, no electric heaters, no pilots on my cook stove, no water, certainly no hot water.
Matches lit the burners to cook as well as keep the kitchen warm. A big wood stove kept the house warm.
And I learned, what grandma knew long ago...go to bed and get up with the chickens. Snuggled under the covers, that was the best place to be.
Since the ice storm we bought an Alexa Pure water filter. I wash every milk jug with soap and water, then fill it almost full of tap water. If we need to drink it, just pour it in and it will filter through. Yes it is slow, but I fill it at night.
We are all about useful gifts around here...So Julie got toilet tissue and paper towels, among other things like coffee. She gave us meat. Wow! It is very tasty!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2019 :  6:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will see if we get some more ideas from the gals and then will go from there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 10 2019 04:03:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  12:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  05:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an idea to share and I would be willing to be the person to do manage the ideas here in the HenHouse. How about each month, I post a learning topic that we can all learn and share about. For example, I found this little book at the bird store titiled 50 easy to save the Honey Bees. It has so many easy ideas and interesting facts. What I would do is select a Farmgirl sort of themed idea each month, post it here, add some information that I have found and learned, and we can add to the conversation. I would like this to be a learning opportunity where people actually learn something new by reading up on the internet, sharing a new book they recently read on the topic, share any websites of organizations who address the problem etc.

My idea is a way for us to learn without committing to a badge and also to have conversation that might be fun and even useful for all of us. Some topics that come to my mind right at the moment are Honey Bees, the history of postcards, plants that butterflies love, maybe something about safety and much more. You all can email me with your suggestions and we can add those to our discussions.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  06:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I like your idea. I already have learnt so much from FarmGirls and I know there is more to learn. Looking forward to the first subject to explore.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I sent you an email.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like more swaps.
Winnie I like that idea I love learning about new things.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me not all activities have to be to the liking of all SPG FarmGirls. I like reading about what others are doing even if I am not involved. A busy henhouse is a fun henhouse.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 10 2019 08:03:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love your idea!!!
And Sara, I totally agree with you....a busy henhouse is a fun henhouse!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love that idea :)! We are bee keepers, well DH is :)! I help with the harvesting of the honey, IF there is any! We lost a hive last week...have no idea why, where they went, etc. They had lots of honey in their hive. Our son in love did as well. We do try to plant flowers for them, provide food and water as well. Do not use pesticides, etc. The Honey Bee is an amazing creation!
I also enjoy small swaps :)!
Thanks for taking this on Winnie. There is so much to learn about so many things. I love new adventures!!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2019 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry we confused you Marilyn :) The Wildflower HenHouse does quite a bit with badges :)

Winnie - I LOVE your idea! No one has time to learn all there is about everything, or to research it... but by sharing what we have learned, we can learn from one another without doing as much research on our own.

Ruth - Hubby and I are hoping to add bees to our little homestead this Spring. It is funny - I think I am more nervous about adding them than I was any other animal! And I'm not sure why!!! Do you have any suggestions on books or articles to read or youtube videos to watch, etc, to help us prepare?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  08:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Eating Healthy & Weight Loss topic? I'm interested in learning how others eat healthy while dealing with dietary problems. Also how others maintain their ideal weight.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - I would love to hear some great advice on that as well! I don't get in pictures with my children, generally, because of my weight!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  11:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I like your idea! I love to learn more about things about our Earth!! Lots of topics in between!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that is a good idea too!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2019 :  3:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shannon, The "Bee Keeping for Dummies" is a great book! I advise you to learn all you can before you start your adventure! I think the man on utube is the Mad Russian, he does a lot of videos about bee keeping. Also, here in Georgia there are lots of Bee Clubs, my Hubby belongs to three in our little area of the mountains. Pretty sure you can find at least one in your area - they are a wealth of info. All three of the clubs Dave belongs to bring different elements to their meetings. He is pretty much just going to one of them now, feels they are the most useful. Just google Bee Keeping. I can think of another local bee keeper that has videos. He's the FatBee Man keeper. Hope this info helps. But knowledge will be your best friend!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic The new year for our henhouse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page