Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winter Wonderland~December 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 9

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2018 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope your day was wonderful too, Darlene!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 10 2018 4:45:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  07:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another one of my little stories about a Texas woman I never met but wished I had. Yesterday my sister Betty gave me an apron that an antique dealer friend of hers gave her several years ago. It's a homemade half apron with these words written in longhand across the pockets and waist. Hostess Jennifer - Official Guide to The Backside of Nowhere.

Jennifer was the aunt to the antique dealer's husband and years ago Betty had picked berries on Jennifer's farm. Jennifer was the first woman who was a flagman for the railroad when it came through Lamar County. She worked for the railroad until she retired to her family's farm. She wanted a place where people could come and play games so she opened The Backside of Nowhere on her farm. A place to come for music, games, and to visit. Families welcomed. I would have loved to sat at a table with a tall glass of sweet iced tea and talked with Jennifer. Don't you know she would have stories to tell about her days with the railroad and the visitors to The Backside of Nowhere.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just love your stories, Sara.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  08:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda, I have always loved stories about women who lived their lives on their own terms.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  09:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, perhaps you could write her into one of Pearl's great adventures!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that sure would have been a wonderful experience.
How great that you have her apron!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  11:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn you've given me something to think about. I'll have to change her name and the name of her place but it could be woven into one of Pearl's adventures. Let's see where I can place it - down in the bottoms along the Red River - (perfect place for a murder or two) or on a farm where Sorrow Creek runs through. No such creek in Lamar County - I just like the name.

Now for the name...

Denise it would have been an wonderful experience. If you could have tea with any woman in history or story who would she be? This question is opened to everyone.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara that would great if you did that! I will be looking forward to another one of Pearl’s adventures

I will be waiting

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - Dry Creek goes right by Ed's property in Poetry, TX. How about that? LOL! Postry used to be a stagecoach stop.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  2:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to sit and visit with Cyrena Paradine Durham Robinson. She was the mother of my daddy, who died when he was only ten years old. She was born in July, 1880...the very first white child born in Knox County, Texas. Her dad died the same day she was born but in another state. He was 38, and some think he was murdered. Her mom was left to fend for her family, some in their teens, others younger. My grandma was the youngest, of course. Her ancestors were among the early New England pilgrims as were my grandfather's.
Then I would love to visit with Julia Jane Bundrant Hunt Adams. She was my mother's mom. By the time I was 12 she was so deaf I could not carry on a conversation with her.
She could talk but not hear. She was the eldest child in her family of ten. She was the only girl with nine little brothers.She ran off and got married to young Mr. Hunt when she was 15 or 16. I recently learned that she was angry with my grandfather, because he was leaving, to go work on a passage of road up in the far North West part of the US. He knew he would be gone two or three years. When she was 19 she became pregnant... And Mr. Hunt left her. I have a letter from the rail road in Oklahome, that told her he was killed in an accident while working on the rail line they were putting in. Then she married her one true love when he came home. They had six more children. I learned so much from her, just watching how she did things. Now I know that somehow her French ancestry...even though never mentioned, had a great deal to do with how did did things. Her father had a considerable amount of land, a store and livery stable, at one time. Her grandfather was a Baptist minister. Her family came to America in 1700, from France.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 11 2018 2:59:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  3:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darlene, it might be a fun story.

Linda, Dry Creek Farm has a ring to it and Texas sure does have dry creeks.

Marilyn I would like to join you with sitting down with your grandmothers and listening to their stories.

There's a little more to Jennifer's story besides The Backside to Nowhere. She was engaged to a young man. Before the wedding the groom and young men when in one direction to do their thing; and the girls went in another. After that night the wedding was called off and no one knew why or told why. They remained friends and promised to send Christmas cards to each other ever year for the rest of their lives and they did so. The other would know when the other had died because there would be no more cards. She did marry and went on live a happy life.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Jennifer's story!
And oh if walls could talk!
A big mystery to me is how sad everyone looked in the old photos. I know their lives were hard, but even when my life has been difficult, when a camera came out and someone said smile...I tried! Last winter I went through my grandma's picture box...I was making an effort to give some photos to people they belonged to. # 1 I was surprised by the middle aged folks who were just becoming interested in their family history.
Good, bad, pretty, or ugly everyone should know something about their ancestry.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 11 2018 6:01:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  6:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so true Marilyn, on my Fathers side of the family I don’t know much history and sure wish I did.

I treasure what I have.

Hugs.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2018 :  5:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying these stories being told!! Isn't life and age so rich from people, family and friends that have been part of our lives?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2018 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know - in old photographs no one smiled at all

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  01:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons for no smiling in old photos was they had to hold a pose for so long for the cameras to take the pictures. Not to mention the high necks and tight bodices the women wore back then. Don't you think they took picture taking a lot more serious than we do. It may have been a once in lifetime experience. No one had their own camera - they had to wait until a traveling photographer came through their town or county.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photos without smiles is something I never had a good answer for either. Sara, your thoughts seem like a good explanation . It does seem that they took photographs with a seriousness that we don't like. I wonder when the expression, say cheese, became the model so that everyone would be smiling?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  06:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, off the top of your head do you by any chance know when the first Brownie was sold. That's when people started having fun with their cameras. I'm seen pictures of my mother in her graduation dress around 1924 standing on the front porch - can't remember if she graduated at 16 or 18. She was smiling and the picture must have been took with a Brownie.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  11:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara as I read through your story of young Jennifer, I cannot help but wonder what stories have been forever lost over time. One of my kiddos the other day asked why we need to learn history (obviously not a huge fan at this point in time of that subject) and another piped up that it is so we can learn from it and not make the same mistakes. To which a third child chimed in that we still repeat the same history and make the same mistakes! The sad thing to me is that only certain parts of history are shred... there are two sides to every story and that includes in history!

If I could sit with any woman from the past, I would sit with my ancestors... the Amish on my mom's side and the Cherokee Indian on my dad's. One of the things I really want to learn right now is how to garden year round as that is one thing I'm desperately trying to learn, but honestly I just want to hear about their lives... what was their childhood like. Their beliefs? Their traditions? What hardships did they face and how did they overcome them?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  11:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon good to hear from you. In honor of your Cherokee ancestors you may want to plant the three sisters the way Indians did. Corn with pole beans growing up the stalk, and pumpkins or gourds growing at the bottom. I have always wanted to grow the three sisters but have always put it off to next year. Maybe I'll try again in 2019.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  06:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - I have considered doing that, but am allergic to beans :'( My children love green beans, though, so I might try it... the hardest part will be denying myself them! Does anyone else have any food allergies that are incredibly hard to deny themselves of, though the consequences of eating them can be quite painful? My other one is dairy... oh how I miss dairy!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  07:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is very interesting Shannon, I agree that some history is not fun learn but it is interesting your history would be interesting to learn,
Green beans are my favorite I am glad I don’t have that allergy. I bet your family is keeping busy with Christmas plans,
Sara that
Three Sisters planting sound quite beautiful saves space too.
Well I enjoyed reading that.
Take care ladies and have a wonderful day!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon -
So good to hear from you. I've never heard of anyone allergic to beans. If I am allergic to any foods I have not found them yet. My DIL is alllergic to all fish and coconut. And I have a friend that gets migraines if she eats chocolate or nuts - and I am so glad that isn't me!

Sara - If you plant the 3 sisters way do the vegs/fruits take on the tastes of the others? I know that can happen if you plant peppers near tomatoes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  09:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I don't think so. Haven't read anything about the three sisters cross pollinating.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have allergies to chocolate and shrimp. I use to love shrimp but cannot have it. It affects my breathing. Chocolate breaks me out in hives but I do eat it sometimes. I can take something for the hives but now I just stay away from shrimp. The chocolate has been all my life the shrimp has just been the last 5 or 6 years.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 14 2018 12:20:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page