notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  07:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe it's March already! It is a chilly, blustery day in Indiana. March is certainly coming in like a lion this year. I love March because it has one of my favorite holidays ever, St. Patrick's Day! I can't wait for some corned beef and cabbage, along with some homemade soda bread. I'll be listening to my Celtic Women station on Pandora while I'm cleaning today, because, 'tis the season! ;)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin,

One of my favorites too! Both JT and I are Irish so we love to do more of the
the meals and music. We don't wear green but orange because we aren't Catholic. So we get questions,but that just means we meet someone new or share with our friends who don't know. My dad was very proud of his heritage.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 01 2018 08:10:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - what does orange v. green mean? I've discovered I'm quite naive about St. Patrick's Day!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Green is worn by Catholics, orange is worn by Protestants.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! Why is that?

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that! That is interesting! I'm with Joyce...why is that?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  6:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I think it has to do with regions. Northern Irish have been referred to as Orangemen because of William the Orange, historically, and being part of the UK now. Northern Irish are generally protestant and Ireland (southern region, independent country) are generally catholic. My ancestors are from the catholic region. They settled in the Chicago area and were Irish catholics. Although I'm protestant now, but also a "European mutt" of sorts, I like the green. Denise, I really think that's awesome though that that tradition was passed down to you. I was reading about the Irish flag and the Orange represents the north, the green the south, and the white in the middle is unity.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  6:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Erin.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  04:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really neat! I like how the flag symbolizes unity between the different regions.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4057 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4057 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy March and Spring everyone. Spring is not here yet in the part of Colorado I live in. Another couple of months to go.

I too love St. Patty’s Day as I m part Irish and my husband a lot more than I. We love our corn beef and cabbage!

This month I host our knitting group (GEMS)on the 14th so I will serve an Irish lunch and have Irish music in the background. I have my Irish tree and decorations up and of course the flag!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4057 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4057 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blessed in Colorado

Happy March and Spring everyone. Spring is not here yet in the part of Colorado I live in. Another couple of months to go.

I too love St. Patty’s Day as I m part Irish and my husband a lot more than I. We love our corn beef and cabbage!

This month I host our knitting group (GEMS)on the 14th so I will serve an Irish lunch and have Irish music in the background. I have my Irish tree and decorations up and of course the flag, with lots of Shamrock Plants all around!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  06:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie that knitting group sounds so fun! My son's birthday is on the 18th, and we're having a birthday party for him on the 17th. I'm having a hard time right now figuring out what to do to squeeze in our traditional St. Patty's meal, and also party food. I'm not sure if I want to make that much corned beef and cabbage, and soda bread to feed everyone there.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about our menu for St. Patrick's day. I am thinking we are going to have root soup with bangers, (pork sausages) and mash with onion gravy. I haven't decided on the bread yet. We like corned beef and cabbage but have that throughout the year. It's actually not a traditional Irish meal. It is more Irish American. My mom always called it boiled dinner because she was from the New England states so that is what they made there. Though some use other meats for the NE boiled dinner.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 03 2018 08:41:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  02:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love it if you gals would share some of your recipes! I'd like to make a traditional Irish meal for my family on the 17th. Would be fun!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  08:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce,
Bangers and mash is just fried sausages, whatever kind you like and can get, beef, lamb or pork.

(Mash)ed potatoes with skins and onion gravy. I have been thinking about colcannon, which is just mashed potatoes mixed with cooked kale or cabbage. I like to chop the cabbage and steam it then add it.

Any of the recipes can be found on google now.

St. Patrick was not Irish he was English. A great book you can probably find at the library is called, "Let Me Die in Ireland" I highly recommend it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK! I think I must read the book, because I do feel thoroughly confused now about St. Patrick's Day - I always thought it was for Ireland! We actually eat sausages, potatoes and cabbage or kale mixed with it every week! In the Netherlands we call is "Boerenkool" when we mix kale with mashed potatoes, and you steam the sausage on top of the potatoes and kale as you cook it. Then use that water/juice to help mix the mashed potatoes, and add some butter and milk to it. We slaughtered our own pork this year, so are eating lots of pork sausages.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  3:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Joyce St. Patrick's day is for Ireland but the book will clear up a lot of misconceptions about Patrick. I forgot to say the author is David Bercot.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 04 2018 10:17:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  09:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm, I’ve heard that name before, I wonder where.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  05:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that sounds like such an interesting book. I'll have to add it to my ever-growing pile. We always have corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's day. That's always been the tradition growing up. I make soda bread with it. I think it's one of the recipes I shared for our recipe exchange. The kind I make is almost scone-like, with raisins and currants in it. It's funny how everyone has different ways to make soda bread. When I was in Ireland 10 years ago I bought a cookbook called The Irish Heritage Cookbook, and I've used quite a few recipes from it.

When I was growing up we would always go to my grandpa's house on St. Pat's and have corned beef and cabbage and I remember there always being Kaukauna cheese spread, usually port wine cheddar, which I'm sure isn't Irish, but it's what I remember so I always want it around this time. We would also always watch The Quiet Man, with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. We still do this. It's still one of my favorite movies ever. There are a couple other "Irish-themed" movies I like to watch, but not very kid-appropriate.

Denise (or anyone else!), have you read How the Irish Saved Civilization? Jason bought me that book around when we first were married, and it's such a good book. I've also read Irish Americans, a book about the Irish immigrants and that was good too. A good Irish historical fiction I really loved was Galway Bay.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  08:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin,

I love Irish history. I know there were many Irish slaves before they brought slaves to the US from Africa.

I was born and raised in a little town in upstate NY named Galway. It is pronounced differently now after so many years but it was named for Galway Bay.

I would love to find a cookbook of authentic Irish dishes. I'll have to look up the one you mentioned.

We also watch "The Quiet Man". Love that one. Also the series "The Irish RM" with Peter Bowles.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  12:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise, I know! I remember reading about the Irish slaves taken to the Caribbean. I've never heard of The Irish RM. I'll have to look into that. Here's an amazon link to the cookbook I was talking about: https://smile.amazon.com/Irish-Heritage-Cookbook-Food-Drink/dp/0754814831/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521487940&sr=8-3&keywords=the+irish+heritage+cookbook

I hope you all had a good St. Patrick's day! We celebrated yesterday. Although we didn't watch The Quiet Man because we were all too busy talking, so I think I might watch it tonight. I was so concerned with Connor's birthday party that St. Paddy's day kind of took a back seat. That's ok because I like to have many days of celebration for the things I love! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9467 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9467 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  1:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Erin! We spent our evening eat thing Quiet Man. We just love it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just renewed my magazine subscription, my sisterhood membership, and ordered a calendar from MJF. I need one for my craft room/office.

Any garden plans yet? I have tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, calendula, roman chamomile, lobelia and elecampane all starting well in flats. Thyme, basil, lemon balm, and licorice are just barely up yet. I'm pretty good at the inside stuff. The real test is once they go outside. Jason usually takes care of them then, although I do tend to my herb garden fairly well.

It's been so cold here lately! It does not feel very spring-like yet. I can't wait until it does. These mornings are not very pleasant to walk in. It wakes you up though! We had to cancel out Tuesday morning walk because there was a freak snowfall of 7 inches, that almost all melted by the next day.

How's everyone else doing?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is snowing here today, also! My husband and I just came from a funeral for an elderly neighbor lady. She and her husband farmed just north of us. Thank goodness the snow held off while they had the graveside service. It sounds like a bunch of the farm boys that all went to school together are coming over tonight with their wives to share old stories...that should be fun!!!
I think I'm going to go and hide in my sewing room for the rest of the afternoon....I always feel like I get a lot done when it's cold and stormy out!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to start my garden plans. I've been procrastinating - I feel a bit overwhelmed this spring :)

We had a snowstorm last night - it sure doesn't feel like spring yet! Although, the days are definitely warmer and not so cold.

My husband has been sick with what they believe is cryptosporidium (test results aren't back yet). It's been a rough week for him. I'm so happy he's doing better - not 100%, but certainly a lot better! So much to be thankful to the Lord for!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2018 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I hope you had fun with your farm friends last night. I'm glad the weather held off for the funeral. I went to my Ladies Evening Guild meeting on Tuesday at my church, and there were a couple ladies there that had been in charge of funerals at our church in terms of organizing food, and calling congregation members to contribute to a dinner after funerals. They were looking for someone to replace what they do. I felt bad because it seems no one wants to be in charge of it. Plenty of people are willing to help out. I would help out for any dinner, though I've never been called. The older women in our church really are the backbone. I admire them so much.

Joyce I hope you and Tyson get an answer on what's been making him so sick. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. I looked that up. It does not look fun!

I had kind of a sad day yesterday in terms of my friends and things happening to them. We were having some of our homeschool friends over yesterday afternoon, and the oldest son called crying to say that they couldn't come over because their dad was in a car crash. He said he was ok, but that he broke his collar bone. His mom called me later in the afternoon and told me he was hit by a semi! Their car was totaled. I could not believe he only came out of that with a broken collar bone. Praise God for that! Then, one of my friends that I used to work with called to let me know our other friend just lost her baby. We were all out to eat about a month ago, and commenting on her belly and how excited she was. She was 33 weeks along and went in for an appointment and there wasn't a heartbeat. My heart hurts for her so bad. She has had such a life full of sorrow. Her brother passed away when he was in his late teens due to an accident. Her older brother had a baby that had a myriad of health problems and passed away I believe before he was one. Her mom passed away last year. She had a difficult time getting pregnant. I'm sorry to bring it down with this but please pray for her. She needs all the prayers she can get. I got off the phone with my friend and just cried for her. I had to have Kilian come over and hug him (after I had composed myself). He was confused. He's 10 and too cool for those things but he did it. Right after that he asked me for cake, and I was feeling so grateful for my healthy children that I said yes, go ahead and load yourselves full of sugar! How the mind works sometimes... it's a mystery.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March to spring... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page