Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 7

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Maybe I'd even eat one of those fruit cakes. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  8:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the secret to a good fruit cake is lots of pecans, cherries, pineapple, dates and very little batter. When I was in high school a Jewish girl was in some of my classes. Her parents had a little grocery store, and they were well known for her mamas fruit cakes. She told us her mama baked her cakes in tube pans, wrapped them in cheesecloth , placed them in a tin, and poured rum over the cake. Then the lid was placed on the tin. This was September. A month later the tins were opened, more rum drizzled over, and the lids replaced. Once more in November they got a bit more rum. People drove for miles to get the cakes they had ordered. You could not walk in and buy one, because they were all presold. I was a kid and never even tasted her cakes, but I do remember tasting a pound cake that was popular in the 1970s that had rum poured over it.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 22 2017 8:31:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  8:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too! I like the fruits and not the cake part LOL!
A restaurant I used to go to had a rum cake like that - pound cake with rum and they poked holes with a toothpick and poured rum on it. DELICIOUS!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  06:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, I promise. I've missed so much, so many yummy recipes. I love the idea of adding the cherry wine. Could you share that on the thread? I also like the idea of canning the fruit for the cordials. I may have to give it a try.

My health - the hole is finally beginning to close however it's still infected. It's beginning to itch and my mom always told me that meant it was healing. It must me healing in spades, LOL. I went to my neurologist this week and said my drivers license had to be revoke yet again until I'm seizure free for at least 6 months. I had a type of seizure while you are awake yet unconscious. I didn't know that was possible. I was at the grocery buying apples of all things and getting very anxious, starting shaking, and began having my aura. Then by the time Erik and I reached the check out I just started to stare. He would call my name, shook me, put his hand it front of me, continued to call my name and for 2 - 3 minutes he had no response. According to my neurologist I was unconscious. Hmmm, who knew. I also had a routine EEG with a couple of "glitches." I just thought I had a panic attack. What this means...I have to spend 3-7 days in the hospital hooked up to an EEG machine where they taper me off my seizure medication and sleep deprive me with cameras on me 24-7 to try to "catch" a biggie seizure. I've don't this before and it's not fun and very boring. My FIL is staying for 6 weeks this time so he'll stay during the day with me to keep my mind occupied. We can play games, watch TV, and just chat. He really is a wonderful man. I'll tell you if it's not one thing its another. It's like my body said, "ok, her belly is healing, what can we throw at her next?" But I'm a tough cookie! I'll beat this too!" I'm just upset about my license. I become such a burden on others to get me to my doctors appointments and I do get restless here at home once in a while. But, my house is cleaner for it, LOL.

I want to thank everyone for their continued prayers! Where would I be without them? I wouldn't want to know!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  06:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Katie, so glad to hear you are walking around and communicating... I was worried about you!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  06:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hugs and prayers, Katie. We were worried about you. It's good Erik was with you at the grocery store. When do you have this week in the hospital? Please keep us posted.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  06:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie take care of yourself and keep us posted.

The Greek spaghetti sauce recipe with the cherry wine is Nicole "Texdane" on MJF family recipe. Contact her for the recipe.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  07:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sara.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I am so sorry to hear that you have to have a seizure study and be confined to bed. What a blessing that your FIL is there to help out. Hopefully all the forced rest will also speed up your GI hole and when you get back out, the docs will know more about how to treat the seizures and your GI issue will be much much better. Take care and I am joining everyone else here with prayers for healing!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  5:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, So sorry you are having all of this to go through but hopefully they will find and be able to take care of it. Adding my prayers to the others.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6081 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6081 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie feel better, Your in my prayers.

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  05:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

On my front...I'm feeling a bit better. Wrung out but I'm not leaking any more, thank goodness. My skin has begun to heal (let the itching begin). I was told late last week that they would have to yet again revoke my drivers license because I had a seizure back on September 2nd (Did I tell you that already?)

I have terrible memory problems please forgive me if I repeat myself all the time.

Anyway, I'm grateful to be on the mend. My FIL is here till early November and he keeps my quite busy, hard to find time to be on the computer, craft, cook, and garden. The garlic will soon need to go in the ground and I want to put the last of the lettuce in. I'm still harvesting eggplant, squash, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chard, dried beans, Brussels sprouts, kale, and spinach. I pulled the last of the regular tomatoes yesterday and will get ready to make a pot of sauce. My FIL (always thinking of me) bought me, of all things, a pot stirrer. It actually fits to the top of a stock pot and continuously stirs the sauce (who knew).

Miss chatting with y'all. Hope you all are well!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  06:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you are healing and getting better.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  06:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that you are doing better, Katie. Your garden also sounds great with all the veggies to enjoy!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6081 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6081 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  2:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pot stirrer, that sounds like a good thing to stir spaghetti sauce to keep it from sticking. I will have to think of one of those.

I am glad you are feeling better Katie, Feel better and take it easy.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. I know that the prayers and well wishes from all of you have helped!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  06:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank- you Sherry for our latest HenHouse information sheet! These are so important and nice to have . I appreciate your time in helping all of us stay updated.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  08:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sherry - got the sheet yesterday. I appreciate you keeping up with this.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  4:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sherry for the updated birthday and address sheet! I got mine today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6081 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6081 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  9:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sherry, I got my updated birth date sheet today, Thank you so much.
Thanks for Brian Ogles address as well.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sherry for the updated birthday/address list! It's so nice of you to take the time to keep us informed

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  07:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie I am so glad you are feeling a bit better. I am interested to hear how the pot stirrer works. Thank You Sherry for always keeping us up to date. We still haven't had a killing frost here, but I am starting to clean out the garden and get it put to bed before we start harvest back up. I also have 50 new tulip bulbs to get in the ground so After I get some windows cleaned today, that is my next project. I don't plan to dig up my root crops yet, and my winter squash and pumpkins need to finish drying down, but to tell the truth, I am pretty happy to be pulling up those darn zuchinni plants, green beans and tomatoes. I did leave my grape and cherry tomato plants in, I will cover those until the worst frost and than after I pull them hang them upside down in the garage- like they do in Italy and continue to harvest them until they are picked clean. My celery is beautiful this year and I have just been pulling outer stalks as I need them, but the rest will go on the dehydrator.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  07:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I love to read about your garden adventures.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sissies. First Sherry thank you for new Birthday list.
I have to apologize to all for not being on more than I have. Sitting with a little lady
and its got me in a tail spin of being gone so much. But I think of my sissies all the time. So I am trying to get more organized.
But I am so happy cooler weather is on the way. I love fall colors. We are thinking about getting a fur baby. A small dog. Not sure what kind yet. But I have two names I am thinking if a girl.
First- Maggie Mae or Lexie Lou... What do you think?
Anyway I wanted to touch base. Let you know I am thinking of you all.
Have you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  1:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to say my belly opened back up and started gushing again today. I have it packed and bandaged. I'm going to see if it subsides by tomorrow, if not, it's back to the doctor.

I don't know if I mentioned or not, but they pulled my driver's license because I had a seizure and I had an EEG with some weird activity so getting to and from doctors is really going to be a problem. I used to have a group of ladies that helped out but two went back to work and the other switched to cyber-schooling. Now I'm left more out in the cold. Some of my doctors are over 2 hours away in Philadelphia. I guess it will all work out. For now, my FIL is still with us so he can be my chauffeur. My mom fell and now I can't run down there and be with her and help her. She an obstinate woman (apple doesn't fall from the tree) and refuses to use a cane as often as she should as she is almost completely crippled from RA.

I have to go into the hospital for a week starting October 23rd into the EMU to get a video EEG where they keep you hooked up the entire time, take you off your meds and force a seizure so they can "capture" a good seizure on paper. Sounds exciting doesn't it?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page