Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 7

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  09:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so much to catch up on it one day!

Sara - thank you, I would indeed like that recipe.

Shannon - I'm glad the children aren't having nightmares - a terrible thing that happened! That was totally out of line for an adult to share. Also, what Marilyn said really does work with tomatoes. It is a bit of a drag wrapping but think of it as wrapping your very own Christmas presents! I hope the coughs resolve soon. Such terrible things wild fires. So many people forget the animals domestic, farm, and wild and how the fare. It sounds like your chickens are doing their jobs! We only have 4 on our small homestead but they are awesome layers! We get 4 eggs nearly everyday.

Winnie - I'm so glad your power is back on!!! I do hope you get to air out, dry out, (musty out??) before any other weather hits and lets hope no other weather hits shall we?! I hope your life is getting back to a normal routine with everything that's been going on.

Denise - you must be exhausted! (both physically and emotionally) It sounds like you are making amazing progress, however. You are doing so much on the house. I bet your father would be very proud that you donated some things to the vets; a noble gesture indeed.

Everyone - thank you so much for the prayers and well wishes! The site has become infected and because of it continually being wet the tape gets wet and gets extra sticky, then I have problems getting it off. My skin all around where I pull off the tape is also raw, but I still have to put tape on it - lousy circle of issues. All this has tripped off a RSD flare. Trying not to do much, to stay quiet but it's not my style. Yesterday I had a friend come over and we went to the grocery. (The bandage didn't hold and my whole shirt and shorts were soaked until I got home. So embarrassing!) We made 2 meals. One we ate and will have leftovers. The other I will freeze. It wore me out so much I didn't get up until 11:00 -what a lazy bum I am, LOL.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  10:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not Lazy Katie, just slower than normal. Praying things improve soon.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie~ Please take good care of yourself. Rest is most important right now. I now that site is very painful with the raw skin. Hopefully this will be taken care of very soon with your doctor. How sweet it is that a friends could help you with shopping and making some food so that you have food ready to reheat when needed.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  3:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Katie praying for healing for you.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2017 :  5:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Please rest and follow doctor's orders, Katie. Hugs

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is grocery shopping day so I need to shut my laptop down and get dressed.

I started a new story this morning and am anxious to see what happens. I have a title and some idea of a plot but I never know what happens until I sit down to write. I think that is known as writing my the seat of my pants. I have scraped the story I was working on because too much time and grief has passed and I don't want to revisit it. Oh, the title of my new story "Anniversary of a Murder".

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie how are you feeling today???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2017 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Sara I would love to read your book when it comes out.

Katie feel better, and go slower. take care

Love you all!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  07:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is everyone up to today? It seems like its been so long since I've been active on here. I am enjoying a beautiful sunny day. Looking forward to celebrating the first day of Autumn. I guess I won't be getting my decorations out until later today but will be celebrating in full force tomorrow! There is still much to do to get the house in order again. It's the only thing I don't like about doing work on the house, everything seems to be in chaos for a bit. I despise chaos.

I hope you all have a great day! Katie, continued prayers for you.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 21 2017 07:16:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  07:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I hope you are enjoying your day and have fun decorating for the fall. My sister Bobbie and I are making the rounds this morning. Dollar General, liquor store, Kelly's Veg & Fruit Stand, and the Salvation Army. I would like to find a new scarecrow or two at DG. Mine are showing a little wear from being out on the front porch for the last several years.

Katie, hope today finds you feeling better.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like a fun sisters day Sara! Dollar General had some really cute ones last time I was there. Hope you find some replacements. They just put a DG in about 5 miles from our house. They put a Family Dollar in about a year ago and this spring there was an older lady that was mugged in broad daylight. The people in the pizza shop across the street saw it and called the police. Makes me a bit more alert now. Really too bad because out here in the country you don't expect things like that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise we had a great time looking and shopping. Stopped at Braum's for a hamburger. Our DG had fewer fall things then last year and only four or five cheap & tacky scarecrows so I passed on them. I did find a yellow flowery half apron for $3.50 at the Salvation Army. Will make a good everyday apron and save my favorites.

I also skipped buying pumpkins. Couldn't bring myself to pay $9 for the ones I liked. I'll be happy with three pie pumpkins when my grocery store gets them in. The yellow mums were beautiful but I passed on them too - don't want anything else I have to water.

Did find cherry brandy at the liquor store. I have a Greek spaghetti sauce recipe from "Texdane" Nicole that calls for cherry wine. Couldn't find cherry wine so I bought sweet red dessert wine and will flavor it with the cherry brandy. Brandy is made from wine so it ought to work. Tasted the cherry brandy and it is so good. Will be good in hot tea this winter.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  2:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, you and Bobbie sound like you had a really fun time making the rounds! You will have to let us know how your wine recipe turns out and cherry brandy in hot tea sounds delicious.

I bought a little pie pumpkin at the grocery store and have it sitting on my old stove in the kitchen with some other fall decorations. It was 90 degrees today and more humid than yesterday. sigh. The official arrival of Fall won't feel any different to me. Denise, you have to post a photo of one of your favorite spots where you put some of your fall decorations out. It is always fun to see what others do when it comes to getting their homes a bit festive in the Fall.

Katie, I hope you are doing better! It has been rough for you lately and I've been thinking about you and praying you are doing better.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  3:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, sounds like a great day you had. Sorry you didn't find any new scarecrows. I don't blame you on the $9 pumpkin. I get mine from the local farm. I take the grandchildren every year to get theirs there.

Winnie, my favorite spot to decorate is my mom's hutch. When I get it done I will post a photo. I also want to do my front porch with stalks, pumpkins and mums. I found some pretty yellow and purple ones yesterday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I have a question. Many years ago a lady told me they bought cherries from the grocery...enough to fill a one gallon jar. Then they added sugar, I don't know how much, perhaps 5#??? Then they put the lid on the jar. Each day they turned the jar, several times as they walked by it. (This happened in June or July) then in December they strained their concoction, tossed the cherries and drank the liquid. What were they making? Of course they served tiny amounts. My reaction was, 'you threw the cherries away??? I love cherries.)

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2017 :  10:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn my guess is she made something like a grog. Years ago a friend and I made fresh cranberry grog the same way she made her cherry drink. The recipe was in some magazine or newspaper. Don't know what happened to that recipe. It turned out very good. Sipped it like brandy. We made mini fruit cakes with the leavings and soaked them in bourbon. Put them in little tins and gave them as Christmas gifts. When fresh cranberries show up in the store I may have to give it a try. Maybe I can find a recipe on line for the ratio of sugar to cranberries. Can't remember if we added water or not.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  07:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, sounds like cherry cordial.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  08:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a recipe for fruit liquors, but they use fruit, sugar, and vodka. LOL!

https://www.facebook.com/bouviersberrybasket/posts/601207986666319

Sounds interesting - may have to try it. After 2-4 weeks of stirring you add some ingredients and let sit for 3 months.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 22 2017 08:14:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it does sound like a cordial. I can mine in jelly jars if I have extra and serve it with a little bit of the syrup in the bottom of a glass and filled with seven-up. The fruit is awesome to use in tea cakes.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I made the Greek spaghetti sauce today and used 1 Tbsp of cherry brandy in 1/4 cup of sweet wine. One of the best spaghetti sauces I have ever made.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing for your cherry cordial?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  3:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, please Julie! I love the sound of it in 7-Up. Why not post it here or on recipe thread.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies. I have always been bothered by those cherries being thrown out. Now I know there is a use for them in other foods. Maybe I will be brave and try this next year.
Speaking of fruit cakes...Last year my husband wanted me to make some. I had purchased green and red candied cherries, dates and candied pineapple...four years earlier. I had never opened them. But not wanting to waste them I opened each container to find good fruit but much of the moisture was gone. I dumped it in a big bowl took out my bottle of whiskey(I only use it to make a small batch of cough syrup when needed.) I poured in enough to almost cover the fruit, covered the bowl with a plate and left it for 48 hours. Now let me tell you those were the best little fruit cakes, and nothing was wasted!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I found myself making spaghetti early yesterday morning, before going to help my friend. I searched but never found any spaghetti sauce, or tomato sauce in my pantry. I used two big c.ans of crushed tomatoes, garlic and onion powder, Italian sea salt, fennel, Italian seasoning,black pepper, and a bit of sugar. It was actually very good. My grand daughters even liked it!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  4:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn your sauce sounds yummy. Just goes to show when you have a well stocked pantry of tomato products, herbs, and spices you can come up with a lot of good dishes.

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 22 2017 5:56:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page