Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 7

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  10:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Take care of yourself, Katie. All of us understand. We all go through days and weeks like that - some more than others. We are here for you when you need us. HUGS!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  11:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I hope you feel better soon!!

Linda that glass stove top is just adorable! I have a gas range so that would not work for me.

We are still out of power but our area was spared he worst. By the time it reached us, it was a tropical storm. But we had wind gusts up to 65 mph so there was a lot of tree damage and debris filling up the roads, downing power lines, and regional short term flooding. We had 9 inches is rain at my hous in just 24 hours. Currently I am at the laundromat doing several loads on f clothes while Warren is still working on the yard clean up. We are so lucky to have not been devastated like so many other places in Florida. I just hope we can get our AC back soon because it is getting awfully hot and humid again with more rain forecast for Friday.

We have been living out of a cooler, taking cold showers and I can cook on our gas range. I sure do miss my modern conveniences!! Lol!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie hope you get power soon. Being without A/C when it's hot & humid is no fun.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  11:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad you were spared most of the storm's wrath, Winnie. There are so many people whose homes are devastated. Hugs and prayers to all of Florida.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  12:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie do you have a generator? Or does your husband have a welder? Both will generate electricity so you could have periodic power...like air conditioning in the hot afternoon. I'm glad you did not lose your roof. God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  6:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie thank God your safe but I will put you in my prayers that you will have all your conveniences back on soon. Take care and keep safe.

hugs and love

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  10:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love those scarecrows! Yes, I love fall too. We have had lots of rain and cool weather so it was feeling like it too. That is until this week when temps and humidity were back. But I have a few fall things out but puts out Halloween on Oct. 1. I have been to two apple orchards already.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  10:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love those scarecrows! Yes, I love fall too. We have had lots of rain and cool weather so it was feeling like it too. That is until this week when temps and humidity were back. But I have a few fall things out but puts out Halloween on Oct. 1. I have been to two apple orchards already.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took Annie to the vet this morning for yearly exam and rabies shot. It went well.

Talking with my grand niece on e-mail I told her about the vet visit. Then she trumped my story. She too had been to the vet this morning
with her soon to be four year old triplets and three puppies. All I could think of was bless her heart.

Tiffany my grand niece has just moved from Paris to Blossom outside of Paris. I've forgot the acreage but they have persimmon trees. She has been working with the persimmons. Some she froze to make jam later and for baking. The other day she made persimmon sponge cake and she was proud of how it turned out. She makes her own bread. Don't know where she finds the time to do all she does with the triplets.

She told me no matter what Gentry is cooking he always says he's making tomato sauce. She must have the patience of Job to let her little ones help her in the kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your niece must have amazing energy. I was always told to wait to eat persimmons until after the first frost. They are edible but pucker your mouth with tartness. The frost makes them sweet.?????

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  1:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had always been told that too but these are ripe and need to be picked. She said they are on the mushy side and best for cooking. She has other trees that are not ripe yet.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  3:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, are you going to get some of those huge white flakes at your house??? I feel sure you are not ready but the weather channel says it is happening in certain parts of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, maybe there are different varieties. Interesting. Has she cut into any seeds?
I love the name of the community. It makes my mind think of beautiful blossoms everywhere.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 14 2017 8:10:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  07:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I went to the doctor Thursday for a check into this drainage tube hole that kept gushing. He ended up performing minor surgery right then and there. Because it wasn't scheduled and I had driven myself, it was just a shot of Lidocaine for me at the sight. It hurt so bad and I have a high pain tolerance. I've been on bed rest ever since so I made my mom her birthday gift. (I had been putting it off because I just didn't know what to make and then I found the perfect thing.) So, last night we went out to celebrate, my first outing since Thursday (I've been so good I haven't even been out to collect eggs) and what happens??? I get home and GUSH!!! The hole had opened up and got all over. I'm at my wits end. Calling the doctor tomorrow to see what the next step is. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.

Winnie, I do hope you get your modern conveniences back soon. I can't imagine being in your sticky climate without the AC. Please keep us informed of any updates and know you are in my prayers. And did I understand correctly that the 4-letter word beginning in "S" and ending in "W" is in the forecast??? Yikes!!! Go to bed for a couple of days and you loose a whole season, LOL.

I've never eaten a persimmon. What do they taste like?

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  08:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie I am so sorry it won't heal. Prayer offered up for healing. May the Lord bless and keep you.

I've been in the Yellow Rose Cottage canning dried beans this morning. They're in the pressure canner now and I am so glad because it is heating up out there. Thankful to be inside with A/C. Winnie my thoughts are with you that you too will have power on and A/C.

Thurs my sister and I will go pumpkin hunting. Hope Kelly's Fruit & Veg stand has them in. Top of the list is 3 pie pumpkins to decorate with than can. Then on to the liquor store for a whiskey run. Have to drive out of the city limits because Paris is dry and only sells beer and wine. Right outside the city limits is a little incorporated hole in the road that is wet. Want some apple and cherry brandies. Gotta love the Texas liquor laws.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  08:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, you are suppose to pressure can dried beans? I did dried beans in the garden for the first year this year and I was just going to throw them in a mason jar. Do you have more info?

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Katie - that's a nice fall sweatshirt jacket you made.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  08:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie I will send you the recipe.

You can keep your dried beans in a mason jar and cook as needed. By canning you have them ready to eat on the shelve.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello dear Henhouse Sisters! I have lots of catching up to do, and will do my best to do so! Things here are going better. The kids' nightmares have finally stopped as have the fear that my hubby or I are going to die. My oldest was told what happened to their friends' mother and I was about ready to ring the adult's neck that told her. There was no reason or purpose to share that information wth her!!! For a recap for those I've confused, a friend of my children's mother died at the hands of her husband... he literally beat her to death with his hands to the point she was no longer recognizable. There is quite a bit more to it than that, but that is the jist.

How is everyone fairing from the hurricanes? We have friends in Texas, Florida and South Carolina that are really struggling :( The fires near us are finally out enough where we can breathe again. There were days I wondered if that was ever going to happen, but honestly we have no right to complain as we are at least safe!!! The goats are having some raspy coughs from the smoke inhalation, but I'm hoping that will get better soon without turning to pneumonia. Thankfully the chickens are all doing well with it... Speaking of chickens, this past week we butchered our last batch of broilers. We started the batch with 75 chicks and were able to butcher 69. I was pretty happy with those numbers!!! Our layers are starting to lay finally! We get almost two dozen eggs a day, which is beyond lovely! With the weather cooling off we are gearing up for winter. i had to cover the garden the last couple nights due to the concern of frost. I'm hoping my tomatoes ripen soon!!! I have lots of green ones out there!

Sara - looks like you are busy in the Cottage :) So happy to hear it!!!

Winnie - Do you have power yet? My cousin lives in Orlando as do friends of ours. They are still without power as well.

Katie - praying for you! Does someone need to drive you to an urgent care or emergency room? Please take care of yourself!!!

Marilyn - no snow yet :) We got some frost and rain, but no snow. We are honestly not ready for the snow yet... next month is when they usually get some out here. We are looking forward to it, but I have some preparations to get done first.

Bonnie - we went to an apple orchard earlier this week. Sadly it wasn't very big and was quite expensive, but at least we got to pick some apples :)

Alright dear friends - I'm heading off of here. Oh - I did finally go see an OB. The c-section is scheduled for November 17th. Hard to believe she will be here in just two months! It is going to be a busy couple months with trying to get ready for winter, Jenni, and Christmas!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon so good to hear from and that the kids are sleeping without nightmares. A terrible thing for them to know about.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, if you get caught with green tomatoes on the vine and a freeze on the way...pick them all. Then wrap them each in paper. I think your children could do this for you. My mother always used newspaper, but I have used tissue, paper napkins, paper towels, newspaper, the crumpled up brown packing material that comes in boxes. Then put the wrapped tomatoes in boxes on cookie sheets, trays, etc. I think one or two layers deep is all you need in each container. Next they need a nice place for them to rest and ripen. My mother put hers under the beds. I kept my last batch in a closet in the utility room. Check them about once a week. The first few times that is a pain in the neck unwrapping and then putting the paper back, but if you get the ones with a bit of pink all together, then it is easier to find the ripest ones for your family to enjoy. The reward is amazing and home grown tomatoes in February and March is heavenly!!!

Some folks love green tomato relish a d chow chow...but I love red ripe homegrown tomatoes in late winter.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 17 2017 1:57:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes Shannon, after I made that comment the other day, my son told me an old Indian woman told them ( When they were up there) that they always get September snow in Wyoming and Montana...but it falls in the mountains.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The news from down here is that we got our power back last night!! AC just felt wonderful!! It has been back up into the 90s and humid since Wednesday and we were not really able to sleep and the house was smelling all musty. It was so good to be able to have modern conveniences again. Now Hurricane Maria is making a beeline right on the same path as Irma, so we are going to have to watch carefully to see if she is going to hit Florida again. Golly I hope not because so many people are trying to clean up and get power, go to work and school, etc. Irma did a lot of damage in this state!

Gosh Katie, i am so sorry to hear about this issue with the gushing hole. It sounds like most likely, they will need to make a more permanent surgical repair to stop the problem. I know you are so worried and I will be keeping you in my prayers for good news and solution soon! Take care and rest as much as you can until you get in to see the doctor, which I hope in very soon.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops, I forgot to mention that it is so good to hear from you Shannon and glad to know that things are settling down a bit more as you prepare for Jenni in November. How fun to have a Thanksgiving baby to look forward to this year in your new Homestead!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2017 :  5:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just doing some catching up. I feel like I really can't get going anymore. JT and I went out to dinner last night. We've had the whole weekend to ourselves. My bil is in Buffalo visiting his sister and the younger is spending his weekend with friends. So I went through things that I had set aside of dad's. The things I couldn't decide what to do with. Organized a little bit more and put some things away for now until we get the house straightened out. By that I mean JT is laying down new flooring in the office. Dad's bedroom was his office before it was a bedroom. Once that is done we have some some renovations to do to our two front rooms. Going to fix some areas of the ceiling and walls, paint and refinish the
hardwood floors put up new trim. We are making one of the rooms a library and the other will be our household office. I have been sorting, cleaning, decluttering and donating for awhile now. As long as I have the momentum I am going to do the whole house or as much as I can. Too many things accumulated over the last 27 years here. Its not been easy going through dad's things or letting them go but I need to and I need to give them to those who can and will use them. So many things have been given to the veterans as dad felt very strongly about taking care of and helping our vets.
I haven't pulled out my autumn decor yet but thankfully I went through it and downsized before putting it away last year.

Katie I am praying for healing for you and Winnie I do hope things are a bit more back to normal for you now.

Shannon so glad to hear from you and glad for the children to have stopped having the nightmares.
I'm sure you are and will be busy preparing for Jenni.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 17 2017 5:22:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch, quilt on lap chattin' - Sept 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page