Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  07:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Julie, have fun visiting your grand kids ... safe travels. Do keep me posted on those Lavender Orpingtons. Now I'm worried too! I'm sure the blanket was fine. Keeping my fingers crossed that you're going to be a mama again soon!

Denise, they're so cute! I wish I could keep chooks. I need to move!

Shannon, We used a mixture of wood chips from DH's workshop and have never had a problem. The only thing he made sure was that there wasn't any cedar in there. Cedar has a strong smell. And our little chicks never had an issue. I think the hatchery is just making sure that they cover their butts!

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9573 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9573 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon,
Don't stress over it all. Just think people raised chicks for years without all the new stuff that's considered so much better. Mine seem to be doing fine with the straw. Just keeping it changed. This the first time I've heard so many different things.about them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  05:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is grocery shopping day and I do enjoy buying food. The Lord has blessed me so I am able to buy what I need and some of what I want. My store has good sales this week so I will stock up with buy one get one free.

My oldest sister, Penny a talented artist, is working on a children's book with me. It's about Judy the mule chasing the coyotes off. She e-mailed last night she will be sending what she has finished so far. I am excited to see what she has done and map out where the story will fit with the pictures.

We are talking about a 2nd Judy the Mule book. She get's into Memaw William's garden and eats all the carrots.

An update on what Judy has been up to. Betty said she now patrols the pasture all around the house. Every time one of the dogs bark she takes off running the fence line. Betty is sure she is looking for coyotes. No telling how many she chases off at night when everyone else is sleeping.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it is raining, nothing new, the roads are sliding and there is a video of the one on 101 coming down last night if anyone wants to see it on my facebook site. Down right scary. My boss was going to San Fran last night and went that way and was the 5 car back when they closed it down again. Don't know when it is going to open up again. That mountain slide is not stopping easily.
They had to go back home and then go the other way making the trip and extra 7 hours. The good old Redwood Curtain. We are here though. Thank you God.
Have a great day and take care everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I watched that terrifying video of the land slide. We're you in that car too?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  9:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I was safe here at home. That was someone who happened to be there and posted it on Facebook and someone shared it my way!
That was scary just to watch on the video.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  04:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the coastal highway that runs north and south?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  07:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your books sound like fun, Sara. Can't wait to read the story.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  08:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Sara, how wonderful that you continue to work on your mule book and even more special that your sister is involved too! Can't wait to see it! So exciting!

Julie, any word on your Lavender Orpingtons? Waiting with anticipation - all fingers and toes crossed!

Darlene, glad you are safe.

Not much happening here. DH is working on that wood pile in the front of the house .... he rented a wood splitter and is working on the large pieces. I'll be glad when it is out of the front yard!

I still haven't decided where I'll put my fairy garden. I'm waiting for Pumpkin to come home from college to help me set it up. It will be fun working together on that project. She should be home May 11 the latest. I'm headed out there on May 6 to take her out to brunch on Sunday. It will be a nice break from her exam time.

I've changed my workout routine around. I'm now power walking/jogging in the morning, as opposed to the evenings. It is so beautiful at 6:00 a.m. No noise, just nature and myself. The other morning I saw some turkey vultures. Not a good sign when they are around! One morning I saw lots of deer! I've also increased my jogging to 1.5 miles and the rest is power walk for a total of 3.7 miles!

Well, I guess that's it for now. Catch you all later! Cheers!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  11:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is a turkey vulture like a buzzard? When we see buzzards circling we check to see if something died. Recently my son went to check and found a newborn baby calf had died.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, they are also known as Turkey Buzzards. They are amazing to see in flight! Sadly, it was a baby calf that they were enjoying. I saw about six (6) of them.

Here is a link with pictures and more info from the Audubon Society.

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/turkey-vulture

Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 28 2017 09:10:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  1:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They really are a necessary bird, they clean up all the dead. Sad as it is. They also mate for life and one day I was driving down the street and one had gotten hit and died and its mate was flapping its wings close by it., It was really sad to see that.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is sad Darlene. I always slow down for them, and allow them time to move. I do not want to hit one, kill it, or smell the contents of its belly.
When we had a dairy a mamma cow lost her baby. She stood there and fought the buzzards off for 48 hours. I was finally able to convince her to go to the barn. Even though she had stood guard, the buzzards had taken her dead baby's eyes. I cried for her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9573 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9573 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke at 5:30 this morning and decided it was a perfect time to finish digging in the dirt and getting the rest of the garden in. It has been raining for some time, so today was the day. It was very quiet except for the chicks and chickens peeping and clucking. Still.....I enjoyed it. I just love the early morning when no one is up yet and I can have the house to myself. Getting started on my day reading or doing odds and ends things before the day starts.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  6:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I am so looking forward to that. Just one more month. Freedom is calling my name. I love to take an early morning walk, work in the yard, etc. The world is beautiful when it is waking up from its sleep.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  7:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
early mornings are beautiful. I plan to start walking in the mornings again, too.I love the way you worded the description of morning.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda, when school is over, I will think about you as you are walking and I am too in the very early morning.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  9:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good - maybe I can stick with it then. LOL! Last weekend at the campground we walked a lot - until my hip hurt so bad I couldn't walk more.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Apr 27 2017 9:39:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  01:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Linda, do take care of yourself. Hope your hip gets better.
Sara, such a delight to hear of your book plans.keep us informed.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  04:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda what do you do for your hip, to stop the pain? Rest, pain rub, ????

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  07:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ii may be a bit of arthritis, but I really think it is hurting more because Dr upped my statins just a bit and they can cause joint/muscle pain. A week and a half ago the Dr's nurse called and said Dr. wanted me to come in, she transferred me to appt. desk, and first available appt. was in 2-1/2 weeks. GRRRR! So that is next Wednesday.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This started happening today at our house.

I just put the second one in the brooder and 2 more are pipping. It is more than I hoped for after our electricity being out. So excited to have lavender orpingtons. I picked up my conservation trees today so I will be busy planting for awhile.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What is pipping?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  7:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are starting to break through thier shell. It takes several hours for a chick to work thier way out.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  7:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gracious! SO ADORABLE <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page