Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He collected all things Dr. Pepper in the beginning. After he retired he became interested in bricks. They have been all over the US to brick swaps. Today he made me a collector...he gave me one with Robinson stamped in it. That was my maiden name.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's sister will be 71 in June.

We haven't gotten any rain yet. And we need it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  6:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had rain yet?
Was she ever married?
Ed will just have to get her a list of local handyman. Perhaps he can find a nice older gentleman...It could lead to her moving.....on to happiness, like my sister.LOL

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 17 2017 6:52:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  10:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know you live in a small town when at 12:23am a cow wanders into the ER parking area at your local hospital. Police were called and they got her back into her pasture a couple of blocks away...in the almost country. TRUE STORY!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  06:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone had a beautiful Easter weekend! Spring is now popping out everywhere and temps are warming up. We have had a long beautiful Spring here in north Florida, and while we are moving on towards Summer, the humidity still remains low and it is cool in the evenings. The down side of this is that we are in great need of rain and the wildfires have started around this part of the state. This often happens to us when it stays dry for this time of year, but the fires are devastating and we keep hoping for some rain showers to help out.

Not too much longer till the Farmgirl Jubilee! I signed up for the chicken swap over at the Forum which is to go with the theme this year. There are so many possibilities of what to make too. Today I think I will go over to Joanne's and see what sort of chicken fabrics I can find.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  06:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It amazes me what people deal with in different parts of the country! We just read a news story about near where we use to live in South Carolina... a 15 foot alligator broke into a back porch and made itself at home! Can you imagine???? We went fishing the other day and I had to keep reassuring the children that there were no alligators in the water!!! And then we read about that!

Winnie - sure hope there aren't too many fires and you get the much needed rain soon. I know my cousin's area is suppose to be getting rain today (they are over near Pensacola) so maybe you will get some soon.

Marilyn - I'm trying to imagine cows in the ER parking area, and all I can do is laugh! Out here, once you get into where the hospital is, it is more "city" and not too many cows. I'm glad they got the cow back home!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  06:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

How is everyone this fine morning? Did everyone have a wonderful Easter? My weekend was quiet, just like I like it! We've been getting lots of rain ... here we don't call it spring but mud season.

Like Sara, for the past year, our village has been in the process of installing new sewage and water lines. Part of this huge million dollar project ... what a mess! They sure have torn up lots of front yards and streets. With all the rain we have been having .... muddy mess! But, it's for a good cause so I'm tapping into my patience reservoir!

Shannon, congratulations are in order for the recent news of a little one on the way and of course for being Merit Badge Awardee of the week! You go girl!

Julie, how is being the expectant mother of Lavender Orpingtons coming along? Any news on the due date? Photos please of the little ones. You're always such a busy gal. So good of you to be planting trees around your property. I'm sure you place looks lovely. If you are in the market for some butternut trees, we have a few in our yard and I can send you some nuts. One of my customer said that butternuts are a poor man's nuts - that really reads funny! lol That is the nut her family used for baking. I need to ask her how she prepped them.

Sara, how sweet of Dustin to help a kitten. My little Pumpkin was and still is a dare devil! There was nothing that she couldn't climb. At age 2 she's out there doing stuff a 5 year old wouldn't even do. I learned to just breath. Now as a figure skater she jumps up in the air and twirls. Yea, I've witnessed a few hard falls, but it is her passion. How is your miniature rose bush doing? Any more buds?

Marilyn, I love the country life and it's happennings. That to me is positive news! On our street up to a certain point is "the Village" and after that point is farming. I enjoy sitting outside in the evening (during warm season of course) and listen to the cows.

Always great to catch up on the henhouse forum. I suppose I "should" pop on over on the main forum to see what it going on.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 21 2017 08:33:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  07:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole thanks for asking about mini rose bush. It had that one perfect bud that Annie nipped off. Checked earlier this morning and not a bud in sight.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  08:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugghhhh I am distraught! We got an order of chicks on Saturday.... we ordered 50 broilers and 25 layers... Though they also sent 5 extras. We have lost 13!!!!! We have never lost chicks before!!!! I heard back from the hatchery today (finally)... they said the order got here late so they are probably dealing with organ failure. They also aid we screwed up because we are using heating plates instead of heat lamps and we have them grit. Moe than likely though, according to them we will probably lose most of them. I am devastated!!! We have had chicks multiple times and have never had these issues, though we have never gotten them from a hatchery before!!! My poor kids just keep crying. The broilers seem to have leg issues... which when I looked it up I found t could be due to a riboflavin deficiency which is due to the mother hen being too young. I'm just so sad :'(

Carole - thanks for the congrats! I'm hoping the morning sickness and fatigue subsides. I'm getting too old I think (turned 38 Monday)... I think the fatigue is the worst it has ever been! 8:30 or 9 is my bedtime right now and I am getting a nap in the afternoon most days!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, so sorry to read about your chicks. I have never dealt with a hatchery myself. When we had chicks, we purchased them from the local feed store. I was going to start ordering from a hatchery because I wanted to dabble in different varieties, but we loss our case so no more girls.

As for being old, I was 38 when I had my little Pumpkin. I didn't have morning sickness the first 3 months but wicked heart burn ... we're talking human combustion! She's a pistol alright! lol

Take care of yourself!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  10:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens; the money and time put into ordering them; your dreams of having chickens again; and above all your children having to witness it.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  11:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I am sorry for your baby chick problems. Is the hatchery going to replace them? We're they insured? Why did n't they think you should provide grit and a warm mat? Both things are sold to use with chicks???
How long did it take for them to arrive? Did they have a gel pack in each box so they had food? How far do you live from the hatchery?

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 19 2017 11:20:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hatchery is NOT going to replace them as they say it is from what we are doing wrong :( It took three days for them to get here, which we obviously had no control over... Though interestingly, it says three day priority mail, and yet they say it took too long!?!? There was no gel pack or anything with them! They say if they eat too much grit it can compact their crops and should not be marketed for baby chicks. Also they say the heating plates are fine for baby chicks AFTER the first three days for hatchery delivered chicks. Never heard of that before!!! We went with the plates instead of heating lamps because friends just lost their entire home due to a fire started with a heating lamp over baby chicks!!!

Honestly, right now, we are just praying that some of them survive and for the children to eventually forget about this experience. SO MANY tears over these poor babies!!! They are so tiny and defenseless... and we just cannot seem to save them!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meyer Hatchery says they are fine for 72 hours with no food or water. I have purchased from Ideal in Cameron, Texas several times, living close means they are here in 36-48 hours. My only problem is you must purchase 25, and they always add in some roos for warmth. That is why I have pets, watch dogs with feathers. I have never had the heat plates.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  1:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, what a total bummer about your chicks! That is so frustrating and sad for the kids. I hope the next batch you get will be healthier and you can have your layers and food chickens producing for the family by the middle of summer.. Hopefully, the sickness and fatigue will ease as your progress further. It is hard to get much done when you feel so awful every day.

Carole, I hope your fairy garden can happen with all this rain and flooding in your area. We desperately need some rain and mud season sounds like a great idea at the moment!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my you do have a mud mess Carole. We have had a bit of rain this week and snow to the north of us. I am hoping it doesn't come our way. I am off to Illinois on Friday for a few days to visit my son and his family. Looking forward to spoiling those grand daughters for a bit. I have spent a good part of this week running for parts, as we are such a rural state it usually involves at least a 2 hour drive. We are ready to start seeding wheat as soon as the weather clears up. We are about half done with calving, just had a set of twins late last week, mama decided she didn't want 2 so we gave the abandoned little girl to the grand kids, she is getting a lot of lovin' from those 3.
Carole, this Orpington mama is a bit worried. The electricity was off about 6 hours the other night. Although I put several blankets over the incubator I am hoping it was enough to keep the heat in. I candled everything, but it is to soon to tell if they are still developing or not. I will get my meat chicks when I get home next week and candle again. Keeping my fingers crossed all will still hatch.
Shannon, I hope your chicks turn out ok.i usually order through the feed store and pick up the day after they get them in. That way I can tell if any are not doing well. When we do have them shipped we use Hoover Hatchery and have really good luck with them.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry about your chicks, Shannon. My grandtwina get very upset when any of their animals die. It is super hard on them. I can't. Elieve they won't replace at least some of the chicks. Can you bring them into the house and put them in the bathtub or something for a week or so?

And send some of that rain to me, Carole.

We are in Livingston Texas at the Lake Livingston state park there. We have reservations until Sunday and some rain due each day. #128543; I'm going antiquing and thrift shopping tomorrow with some other ladies here. I know 2 of them. Should have fun. Maybe I'll find more sewing machines, quilts, or aprons. I collect all. LOL

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Apr 19 2017 5:21:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  5:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun Linda. My outing on Monday was delightful...even if I did see the doctor. It is nice to get out with friends now and then

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  6:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your little chicks Shannon, I hope you get it straightened out.
Take care everyone.

Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon. Such bum news about the chickens. I hope the rest of them make it! Congrats on the news of your own new little one.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9573 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9573 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  9:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon I am so sorry about your chicks. We just went and picked ours up this morning. Sent priority 2 day from a hatchery. We use Privet Hatchery in NM for ours, this is the third time we have gotten them from there. We have them in the garage with a lamp. We have had the same lamp for the chickens in the wintertime. Scary to think a fire was caused by the use of one. I have never heard of heat plates. Found out that we shouldn't be using cedar or pine shavings for the bedding as the aromatic woods cause respiratory problems for the chicks. So I cleaned out what we had put in and replaced it with straw. Ruth, recommended a product called coop kleen. I am planning to go get some tomorrow to use for the henhouse and nest and also for the chicks. We got Rhode Island reds this time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 19 2017 9:34:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  04:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love baby chicks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  06:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at those darling Peeps!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - such sweet little chicks!!! So I'm a little confused on the bedding, as we were told cedar was an issue, but pine was fine... and that straw and hay should be avoided, because when they get damp, they mold. I'm getting the impression that keeping chicks is much like everything else in life... nothing is completely safe! Honestly, I'm a little flustered right now and think I need to go take a "time-out." I am so confused and am feeling "stupid' and inadequate. Ugghhh I wish things were black and white!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon don't be so hard on yourself. I raised my three healthy chickens on hay from my sister's fields. She has done the same for decades. When they were just days - weeks old and still in the house I had them on bedding from the farm & ranch store. I figure with a watchful eye and everyday cleanness most bedding will work. Read all you can - pray on it - and do what is best for how you want to raise your chickens. We can learn from books and experts but sooner or later common sense has to kick in.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page