Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, she or he is so pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  8:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww so adorable and pretty too!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  08:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Sara, how is your book coming along?

Denise, Your garden must really be coming along!

Marilyn, what a sad story! The poor mama cow!

Linda, hope you have some answers soon regarding your hip.

Julie, absolutely overload adorable. I hope that you will post pictures as they get older! I love chicks and chickens. With your recent "tree" project I'm sure you'll be busy for a while .... at least long enough to stay out of trouble! lol

Not much going on here. I continue to power walk in the early mornings. I just love the quietness of the start of the day! I will admit my body is starting to feel the exercise. I have increased it to double what I used to do and these bones are letting me know their displeasure. I did buy myself an excellent pair of jogging shoes with lots of support and shock absorbency! I haven't been jogging for the past couple of days because my knee is hurting. Not so much when I jog but when I bend down! It is difficult for me to get back up without pain. Getting older is not for sissies! I'm hoping the break from jogging will help heal the knee!

Well, off to get some quilting done! Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 29 2017 09:10:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  09:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole thanks for asking about my writing. I'm working on chapter four for the cozy mystery and waiting to see my sisters art work for the children's book. My writing has been on hold for a couple of days because of MS fog but hopefully it is lifting. Today is a little better. Been reading all the posts so hope to respond in the coming week.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  09:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Carole. I hope the doctor has some answers. Of course, I will be going on vacation in mid May and a sore hip will not deter me. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9575 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9575 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I love those Lavender Orpingtons! How adorable is that!?!

Our little girls are growing. They have their wing and tail feathers. We havea a runt so I'm naming her Runt. LOL.
Here's our latest photo.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 29 2017 09:16:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  11:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, precious chick - great picture in the tea cup.

Denise your wee flock is so cuddly cute. Baby chicks are so sweet.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  12:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, Adorable! Thanks for the pictures!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  1:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those babies are so cute!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  9:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such cute babies Denise. My old girls have really slowed down in the egg department so I am excited to have a steady supply again. Tuesday I pick up 150 butcher chicks. I am splitting them with a neighbor and my daughter but we got a pretty good price by all going together. Carole, I don't have time to get in trouble, we are also seeding crops so I wear many hats during the day. Sara And Linda I hope you are feeling better soon.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  06:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie -what kind of butcher chicks?

Our broilers and layers are doing fairly well now, thank goodness. We did lose another broiler, but the rest seem to be holding their own. The broilers will be heading outside in the next week or two :) Then around the 22nd of May we are getting a straight run of australorps.... hoping to keep a rooster or two, and the rest will be going in the freezer.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  06:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

I do hope you are all well! Today will be a day spent in my sewing studio, unless I change my mind! lol Yea, I've been doing that a lot as of late. I seem to be all over the place these days!

Sara, I keep thinking about your rose bush. I saw mine a couple of evenings ago. I places some sticks around it because someone/something was trampling on it. Not that it's in a traffic area but .... I'm hoping it will continue to grow. Lots of green shots coming up!

Shannon, I do hope this run will be in better health than the last one. Are you getting them from a different place?

Well, I "should" get my day going! Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  07:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a good day today Carole no matter where you do end up.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  08:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, thank you! You're always so sweet and thoughtful!

Enjoy the day everyone! Hugs!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here shortly we will be heading outage door for a day in town. As this is the only day of the week I usually go (it is 45 minutes away), after church we will run a couple errands, including shopping at Joanns, picking up piping at Menards (we have a pipe from the kids' bathtub that has a crack that hubby needs to replace), and grocery shopping. I don't enjoy grocery shopping on Sundays, but it is the only day I get to town! Once we get home, depending on how late it is, I'd like to do some crafting!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  1:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a late lunch and our son stayed and visited for quite some time after that. I was clearing the table and washing dishes at 2:45pm. Bay had to go take a test, on line, for a class. This is dead week and finals begin Thursday. Her first one is Saturday at 8am. She works two jobs this week, part time, so I hope she gets her test prep time in there as well. Had is hanging out three days a week at the barber shop. Woodrow, the barber, is teaching her to use clippers, and cut men's hair. My son decided she needs to learn something because he does not think the beauty school has taught her very much so far. He is toying with the idea of selling out and moving to a smaller community once again. Of course it could take a while. He said he needs to get the girls through school before he does it. This college town is growing so much, so quickly. It is almost impossible to drive around. Think cars backed up for two to ten blocks, trying to go through four way stops and lights too. That is very common now. Too many people in a once tiny town.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 30 2017 2:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't get my UFO and other sewing done on Saturday. The morning was slow, and after lunch we went to a thrift shop and then I dropped off the Texas flag wind catchers I made at the little shop I have things in. We hadn't been there long, and in late afternoon the storms started showing up south of us, winds picked up, and then the rains came. There were lots of tornado warnings, and luckily we weren't in their path, but they were close enough to keep us worried for quite a while. We lost power for about 1-1/4 hours. So we could keep up with all the warnings in the area, Ed hooked his sister's tv up to a Converter, and we went out in the motorhome and started up the generator so we would have a tv, too. But even though my sewing machine was also in the motorhome, I didn't do any sewing.

Would your son move far, Marilyn? I know you like having them so close to you.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We would all go, more than likely...because our land sits directly in front of his barns and arena...a buyer might like to have it all.

I was relieved that we did not have the storms. Friday night was a no sleep night calling 911 at 2:25am because of intruders on our and our neighbors property. Julie called me about 2:20 to tell me to turn on all our lights and call 911. First I told Robert, he got up, dressed and we walked outside. By that time they thought they had them trapped in our neighbors property, but very near their house. Spot light, guns, crazy. I got off the phone, came inside and went to lock the sunroom door. Just after I turned the button and turned around I heard footsteps running...right past that door. I did not freak out because I reasoned that it could be a horse. It was not. So both guys got away. However they got into our neighbors vehicles, and rummaged around in their consoles, leaving the interior lights on. They also tried to get into Triston' s locked black Camero. After the guy driving the car ran through a barbed wire fence, breaking a post, he abandoned ship grabbed his big pill bottle he had taken from Joyce's car and ran. Now for the STUPID THIEVES PART...he did not steal drugs, as he hoped, but kid candy. He could have stolen Julie's or my husband's trucks...both had keys in them...but the thief was not interested in older vehicles. He had stolen the vehicle he wrecked from an apartment complex in town. Also the neighbors each have handguns, hidden in their vehicles, they did not find those, thank goodness. We live on a dead end road, this guy found out that a big man on a four wheeler with a big gun and a spotlight was not letting him drive out of here, so he ran. Then just before noon on Saturday another vehicle was stolen just five miles from here. We have a lot of fools come up our lane, because they are drunk, high, just dumb....the county road is wide, not this lane. Best of all the deputies were here in five minutes or less. My son had also called. We are ten minutes from their offices. They must have been looking for him before he came here. Also a wrecker came and got the car quickly. Then the other neighbor and his son had to come and fix the fence in the middle of the night because he has a bunch of cows in that pasture. CRAZY NIGHT!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 30 2017 5:41:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  5:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon we get Cornish-cross chickens for butchering. They are much more cost effective when raising just to put in the freezer as they are ready to butcher at 5 to 6 weeks where most larger chickens take at least 5 to 6 months to finish and most of the time I am disappointed in the breast size. I have gotten red rangers in the past, but again I felt they were not cost effective.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  6:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW Marilyn. Scary night for you all. Glad you are all ok.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  7:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn! I am so sorry! What a horrific night for you all! Praying for you guys <3

Our broilers are Cornish-cross as well... we will see how they go. We wanted the straight run as we want a couple roosters, and to compare butchering them, hahaha. They only take 5-6 weeks??? I had thought it was eight weeks!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  8:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, you don't need tv...you have your own crime. Glad you weren't hurt. It's so discussing when people do stuff like that.
Cute chicken pictures.
Yesterday I was with a friend and we visited a 400 acre organic farm that is a teaching farm. They have a wonderful variety of chickens. They also have lots of new lambs. Everyone was happy and content. But having the most fun were the darling baby pigs playing in the feedlot. Such fun to watch!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  8:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baby pigs are a hoot. Sort of like puppies and kittens. Very entertaining. They 're very smart too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon you will not want to wait 8 weeks. For the roosters at 6 weeks they weigh between 5 and 7 lbs. I have let them go until 8 weeks, but the meat was tough. The hens I have let go until 7 weeks. I can barely get them into the 6 at. Were you planning on using your Cornish cross roosters for breeding Shannon?

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Apr 30 2017 8:53:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know!!!! Thank you so much! We will not be using the Cornish Cross for breeding, as I've been told that they don't breed well at all! I was talking about the autralorps we are getting later this month... we are getting 60 straight run... plan to keep part of the roosters for breeding and butchering the rest

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page