Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, where do you get your trees from? I have thought of planting a wind break on the north and north eastern sides of my house. Do you use evergreens or Poplars?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to know where to get the trees, Julie. I need to remove 5 shrubs that are ganglyl and non producing and plant a windbreak of trees there instead.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  07:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I would hesitate to recommend trees for you without knowing your planting zone and your soil types. If you contact your local Natural Resource Conservation Service or your local Soil and Water Conservation service they will be able to give you your soil information and the recommendations that are right for your area. In North Dakota our Soil Conservation Districts own and operate 2 tree nurseries. If you contact your local district, they could perhaps tell you if they have that available to you n your state. The trees are mostly seedlings 1 to 2 ft. High, although you can get some varieties taller. A lot of our shelter belts and windbreaks have been cost shared by the North Dakota forest service agency. They pay a percentage of the initial planting usually 50 to 75 percent and we sign an agreement to maintain these for a period of 10 to 15 years. So not only do I mow, weed and prune them, I am also responsible for replanting any that have died over the winter. It is very time consuming and I spend a lot of time maintaining them. We are at the end of our contracts now and I am thinking we will do another around one of our pastures next year if there is cost share available. Many time there is a waiting list and you have several years to wait. Marilyn I generally do not plant poplars as they have a shorter life span, although they are fast growing and give quick results. I do plant a lot of scotch and ponderosa pine. I tend to stay away from Blue Spruce for although they are a beautiful tree they are very susceptible to several air borne desease that can be devastating to a tree row. When we plan a shelter belt my rule of thumb is generally a row of shrubby type trees such as lilac, Amur maple, caracagna etc. I will than do a row of native fruit for the wildlife such as crabapple, wild plum, buffalo berry, than a row of hard wood, which grow very slow but are very long lasting, I prefer hack Berry, green ash, box elder and linden and than I do a row or two of pine. When I plant around the wet areas I do willow, cotton wood and dogwood. Hope that answers any questions, I certainly can get carried away talking about my trees. Now I am off to plant my potatoes.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Apr 14 2017 08:00:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I'm not planting trees but I enjoyed reading your post. I learn so much from my FarmGirl sisters.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, that is very interesting. So your wind break is five rows deep. Right now we have a burr oak, two pecan trees, a golden rain tree, a China berry and two old oaks on the north and north east sides of our house. I need some shrubbery stuff just outside the fence, and something just beyond that. Of course every tree we have loses its leaves in winter. I have a screen of crepe myrtle on the south eastern side a good ways out from the house, and two more oaks and a pecan. I guess we are surrounded by oaks, with two more in the drive way. I love lilacs. Now to search. Thanks.
The best thing about the big trees is that in the summer it is 20° cooler in the yard than out in the sun.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 14 2017 11:35:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9573 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9573 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to pop in to say my Ohio little gals are arriving this evening and will be here until Friday next. I am thrilled to have them here for Easter but I know the time will fly by. But hopefully I'll see them before Christmas but if not they are planing to come out again day after Christmas this year. I hope to make it out for Violet's 1st birthday this Summer. So all that to say I probably won't be on here till next weekend. Hope everyone has a beautiful Easter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  2:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Julie :) I know we can grow lilacs (I'm hoping to plant some of those this year!!!) as well as cottonwoods. I'm pretty sure Ponderosa Pines grow around here too. The only thing on our street is Cottonwoods though! I'll try contacting some people and getting some information on what will grow and what would be best!

Denise - how exciting for you!!! I pray you enjoy your week together!!! Brad's parents are looking to come out the beginning of July. It is then that we will tell them we are pregnant... The children are looking forward to seeing their grandparents. Buy will actually be a really busy month for us, since as of right now, his parents will be here July 4th week, and then my aunt and her husband are coming out the middle of July to stay here for three weeks. It shall be a busy time!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I enjoyed reading about your trees, bushes, etc. Very interesting how different parts of our country have different needs, plants, trees, etc. Here in Georgia, we have lots, and lots of trees. When I went to the Southwest it looked so BROWN to me, and so wide open. We are very green here :)!
Denise, Enjoy those girlies, as I know you will. Safe travels for them as well.
Shannon, Hope you are feeling better by now!
Happy Easter to all my Farmgirl Sisters!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  3:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth- Thank you for the well wishes! Unfortunately, the morning sickness is BAD!!! I keep joking it is because I'm getting so old ;) So far today I have managed to drink two cups of tea and eat a few crackers with chèvre. That's it!!! Thankfully I usually only have it for the first trimester, so maybe another 6 weeks :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  5:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I know you are beyond excited to get to see your family. Enjoy and take a picture to share with us, if it is ok with their parents.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  11:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked with my sister, Betty, and she is hosting a 6 doz egg dying afternoon for 7 of her great-grand kids. Her granddaughter's 3 year old triplets; her husband's granddaughter's three under 6 years old; and her grandson's 11 month old daughter. I would be a nervous wreck being around 7 little ones and cups of Easter egg dye. The egg hunt will be tomorrow after church and Easter dinner.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  11:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your sister is brave, Sara. I think it will be a lot of fun though.
We were on our way to get groceries this morning when we stopped for a light. The cars were backed up for two blocks, through the light, waiting to turn into the old city park. After they got off the street it was a half mile to the egg hunt area. There were probably already two hundred people down there. They had six bounce houses set up. Too many people for me.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 15 2017 11:52:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't do crowds anymore. Seems like bounce houses are in the news a lot for all the wrong reasons. Don't know if I would want a child of mind in one especially with our Texas weeks. I'm a little bit of a coward when it comes to kids taking risks. When Dustin was 8 or 9 he loved to climb the big hackberry tree in the front yard. I couldn't bear to watch so I would go inside waiting for him to either come in the house or scream. Thank the Lord he never screamed.

The last time he climbed that tree he was in his early twenties and went up to help a kitten come down. He patiently helped the kitten walk down so if she went up again she would know how to come down.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was smart of him to teach her that. The older I get the more cautious I am.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That was a neat thing for him to do, Sara. As kids, we always climbed to the top of our neighbors huge weeping willow tree. We would sit in the forks of the tree - way up high. The tree was HUGE!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  12:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We climbed a mulberry tree by the creek, across the street, on the school grounds. It was a huge old tree with a perfect seat. We would sit and eat every mulberry we could reach, climb down and a couple of days later go back up to eat again, until they were gone. I suspect kids had done the same thing for years because the seat was perfect and big enough for several of us.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww great memories of climbing trees and being risky! Sometimes I wonder how I survived as I was a tomboy. Now I watch my great grand kids playing and hold my breath. Age is definitely a factor ;)! We colored eggs a couple of weeks ago with our great grands, and used shaving cream, with food coloring in it. They came out so pretty. Not quite as messy, well maybe :)

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2017 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter was the tree climber when she was little, stopped doing it so much as she grew.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  06:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raining today so it's a perfect day to piddle. A wee bit of housework, writing, and embroidery are in my day-planner.

Moved my car out of the carport onto the driveway so the rain can wash some of the dirt off it. For months now the city has been replacing sewer and water lines on 8th St. My street crosses 8th and I'm the first house on the right so I get all the dust and dirt from the roadwork. 8th St runs from the east city limits all the way to the west edge of town and my street is in the middle so they're close to moving out of my neighbor. Pipes were laid last week so now they have to tie into all the houses, pave, and I can give my car a proper washing.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  08:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO! We are probably going camping in our motorhome on Wednesday through Saturday - hopefully Saturday night, too, but right now it isn't available. Going down to Lake Livingston in south Texas. We have an inflatable kayak, so maybe will be doing some kayaking, too.

This will only be our second trip in the motorhome, and we need a vacation. Ed's sister has been very "needy" since she got here - and every night has a "project" for him to do or finish after he gets home from work. She originally said she was going to hire a handyman to do everything, but so far has not.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is sister?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, if you get the rain we had while ago...Oh my. I was driving and the highway was a pond. I have never had a car do what mine was doing...hydroplaning at 40mph. Scarey, slow trip home.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I'm glad you got home safe. Some parts of Paris got 4-5" in a manner of hours. The entrance to Campbell Soup at the loop flooded and a semi got stranded under the overpass. At 5 p.m. Channel 12 out of Sherman reported 7 roads were still closed in Lamar County. A couple of the roads were damaged. All roads closed are east and north of me. I'm higher than my neighbors so standing water around my house drains off pretty fast. I have no idea how much rain my part of town received. More rain forecasted for later in the week.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you got rain. I was surprised by ours. Had I known it was coming I might have hurried on home, but the friend I went to Fort Worth with is someone I haven't seen face to face since last summer. We had so much to talk about, then her husband wanted to show me his bricks, all 2,000+, in his new barn he had built just for his collection. It was Awesome. A WONDERFUL DAY.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  4:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've known folks who collect barbed wire but hadn't heard about bricks. Never know what speaks to people. I know I get a collector's high every time I see a piece of cream and green enamelware I hadn't seen before. Makes me real happy if it goes home with me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page