Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  04:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

April is here! As the weather gets warmer, well in the north anyway, we'll be able to sit outside and enjoy some fresh air. I'm looking forward to it.

As for this morning, I woke up to ..... Happy April Fool's day!

I thought I would spruce things up a bit and not photograph my back yard! This was on my way to Fibre Junction .... a bit down the street from my home! It is still snowing .... my drive was beautiful.

Off to write a blog entry on the beauty of Mother Nature!

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 01 2017 08:24:24 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  04:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Carole, yesterday after working in my yard I sat on my front porch for a long time. Perfect weather. Sunshine and a cool gentle breeze. Almost went to sleep but my sister dropped by and we drank iced tea as we rocked. She bought me a hamburger from Braums so I had it for a early supper. Today I plan on transplanting some of the wild violets to the shady part of the flower beds that are on either side of sidewalk to porch. Hope they like being moved.

I'm working on chapter four of my mystery and it's good to be able to write again. Last couple of days have really been good for me. I've written, worked in the yard, and embroidered. Life is good in my Little Eden. For you who do not know Little Eden is what I named my home and it is also the name of the little town where I set my stories. But Little Eden, TX isn't as peaceable as my home after all it has the dubious title of "The Small Town Murder Capital of Texas." Gotta love how my mind works.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  08:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Sara,

How wonderful to enjoy your sister's company on the front porch! Ah, I just added to my post and included a photo of my morning! I don't think we're ready for the front porch here! lol But, I love the beauty of Mother Nature.

Good for you to be getting back to work on your Mystery Novel! It is good to have a time set to work on your writing. I love how your mind works! I so get it! lol

Hugs,

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your picture is beautiful. Just goes to show how a few miles north can make a big difference. Well maybe more than a few miles.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  10:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, yesterday we hit 87 degrees in my home town and today is supposed to be more of the same! Wow, what a difference it can make right now depending on where you live. Spring is moving on to Summer down here.

Sara, I love that you are writing mystery stories! Mysteries are my absolute favorite to read. Plus, it is intriguing to have them set in the city of Little Eden. Just goest to show , you can't judge a book by it's cover!! I am happy to hear that you have been doing so well that writing has been possible for you recently!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, 87 is a tad to hot for me, especially in Florida where the humidity is so high! It makes my hair curl! lol

Carole

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that is beautiful, a perfect December, January greeting card. I forget that it snows into spring up north. You are always happy and upbeat about the beauty around you. That is good.
We are cloudy here today...misty from time to time. They think it will rain this evening, tomorrow into Monday. We shall see.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Carole, that is a beautiful drive even in the snow! Brrrrr, cold!
Happy April Fools day to you too!
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  6:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening, Carole I love the picture, we never saw snow this year. But we had a beautiful day today. Worked on my Arbor and yard around it, getting ready to plant some flowers after the rain for the next two days. Just enjoying the day today.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2017 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This was a strange winter here in Texas. We had a dusting of snowflakes here, but not enough to say wee had snow. And I love seeing the fresh fallen snow, so I wish we had seen some.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2017 :  3:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Shannon on being chosen MaryJane's featured Merit Badge awardee for the week. I enjoyed reading what you submitted.
http://bit.ly/2og2uO7

Edited by - YellowRose on Apr 09 2017 3:39:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2017 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Shannon, a big congratulations for your work on relaxing and gathering up your thoughts even day. With so many responsibilities, it makes sense to do this for yourself and for your children!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2017 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulation's Shannon on your Merit badge award! Good work.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  07:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sure have been quiet the last several days. I trust all are well and in good spirits. Shannon I keep you in my thoughts.

I've been piddling and working on Jubilee garden flags. Finished this morning so I can get to the housework that's been put aside. I can also reclaim my kitchen table that doubles for craft table. There's something about a messy kitchen table that makes the entire kitchen look cluttered.

One of the plants I preordered in Jan and received this month is a miniature yellow rose and it has a wee bud so looks like I will have wee yellow roses this year. Two years ago I bought a heirloom yellow climbing rose that did nothing the first year; last year it was gone I thought; this year it is growing and looks like it will climb the arbor over the fence gate in front of my Yellow Rose Cottage. I guess it took two years for it to take root.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky, the border collie is lying on her back, feet in the air, enjoying the cool damp kaliche road. She has watched everyone leave this morning, and I guess she feels sure no one will return until her morning nap is over.
The little banty hen that was missing was found sitting on a nest of her tiny eggs, in some hay in the old garage. The roosters that she hung out with every day for six weeks, now take turns standing guard over her. Sweet picture of devotion. My husband put a chicken wire fence around her so hopefully she might be safer.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 13 2017 07:15:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulatios, Shannon, on your Merit Badges.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  08:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Annie will stretch out on my bed with her feet up in the air - airing her belly. I have always heard a dogs will lay on their backs only if they feel safe or in an act of submission.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
Haven't been here for awhile. Farming and calving are keeping me busy. Tilling some of the garden today and hauling in a tractor bucket load of well aged manure to rake in. I will be planting my potatoes tomorrow. Some years I can plant on Good Friday and some years I still have snow on my garden. I have gotten all my seeds started and they are happily residing in the green house, it feels so good to get my hands in the dirt. I have 2 dozen eggs in the incubator, I have wanted Lavender Orpingtons for ages, but the are so expensive and hard to come by. My daughter has gotten hatching eggs off eBay before and had mixed results so I thought I would try it. I won the bid for 14 eggs and the lady generously included 10 more. They arrived in 2 days in perfect condition and as of last nights candling it looks like all but 2 are developing. Can't wait for hatch day. We have a handful of calves and more to come, so much fun seeing them in the pasture. I have 75 dormant trees coming in next week, will be digging alot of holes. I lost a lot of lilacs this year due to heavy snow pack, hoping I ordered enough replacements. I am heading to a granddaughters volley ball game this afternoon so I best get on with my day. Have a great one everybody and a blessed Easter.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO! Just talked to Maryellen. Ed and I are going to Orlando and then up to North Carolina in May and we will be very close to Maryellen. Ed and I will be meeting up with she and her husband while we are there. I can't wait! I love meeting farm girls I know from online. YEE HAW!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  08:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your eggs hatching, Julie!

Cats do the same thing, Sara. On their backs, legs spread apart (not very lady-like) when they feel safe.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  09:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, hope they all hatch.

Well, I shouldn't have bragged on the wee yellow rose bud. Annie nipped it off. I'm sure it was her - who else could it have been? It's now in the vase with all my first blooms. I pick the one bloom from each plant and put in vase on top of the dried flowers from years past. This vase has flowers from the five years I have been in Paris. I keep the vase out during growing season and put it back in the cabinet for next year.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I hope your eggs do well. My husband wants an incubator. He has Nankin Bantums. Thomas Jefferson raised this breed. After several different little roos jumped on my back when I went in to feed them...I refused to go in that pen ever again.
Also, why are you planting 75 trees, are they for a wind break, or are they fruit or nut trees? That is a huge job to plant that many of anything, especially trees. My son wanted some burr oak acorns planted. So I put a bunch in pots. I have found two little trees but he can't decide where he wants to plant them. They will out grow the pots pretty soon...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1228 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1228 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  11:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked for the soil conservation district for many years Marilyn and have always planted 50 to 100 trees most years. We have a lot of property and have many shelter belts and wind breaks that I am always replacing trees killed by our tough winters. We also have many ponds and sloughs I plant willow and cotton wood trees around for shade for the livestock. North Dakota does not have a lot of trees, so everyone planted adds to its beauty. Every year it is a battle to try to keep the deer and other wildlife from eating them. I have totally given up on Saskatoon berry trees as they eat those right to the ground as soon as I turn my back and yes I have tried fences around them. I do plant native fruit trees in many places and enjoy making jelly from thier fruit. It takes me about a week to get every thing planted, they are only stick trees so they don't need a big hole. They only cost $1.25 and there is not much you can get these days for so cheap a price that will give many years of enjoyment.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I need to ship you some of my squirrels. They're good at planting trees. I have pecan and oak trees coming up in my herb containers and garlic beds.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  12:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all :) Thank you for the congrats! I'll have to go read it! I've been pretty sick lately with morning sickness. This pregnancy has left me exhausted so far - to the point of taking naps almost every day! Tomorrow we are suppose to be getting chicks... 50 meat birds and 25 layers. We are super excited to get a flock again... we are enjoying the three chickens we were given a few weeks back, as well as their eggs, but they can't keep up with our egg demand ;) We won't get eggs from these chicks until October or so, if then, but that is still is in the foreseeable future :) We are hoping for goats next month, but we will see.

Julie - we are looking to add trees to the property, but aren't sure what works best for windbreaks. Suggestions???

Linda - So excited that you will get to meet Maryellen!!! LOVE her!!!! I miss living semi close to her, though we only got together twice! Glad to know she is doing well - I haven't heard from her lately.

Sara - I'm so sorry to hear about your rose bush :( My sister in law gave us a spider plant last week... and the doggone cat wants to eat it! I've yet figured out how to protect it from her!

Carole - your picture is GORGEOUS! We got hit with snow this past Sunday night... we ended up with 5 to 6 inches of heavy snow :) The snow drifts were a good foot to a foot and a half, so hubby stayed home Monday as parts of our road were closed until they got the drifts cleared. We all went outside that afternoon and built a family of five snowmen... with the kids declaring one was Olaf <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  12:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
North Dakota has a lot of big rocks at least on the way to Jamestown. That was a place I stayed int the 70's for 3 months.It was a pretty place. You do get extreme weather there.

Have a good week end.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page