Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What are you working on - 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on - 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 10

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  9:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am finding that I like and look for ideas for recycled "found objects" items. There are some very neat and useful ideas out there. I sometimes buy things I know I would not make for gifts for Christmas.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  05:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, they are really cute. Never knew that part had a name, LOL

Julie - How is Oliver?

Linda - Does Ed know he may be more busy at home that at work? LOL

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  09:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I do that too. Thinking I could make it myself, but sometimes I think I know I will never get it done!
Yes Walmart is already in a winter wonderland here, right alongside Halloween. Thanksgiving seems to get lost along the way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, poor Thanksgiving. I did notice that the autumn stuff was very picked over, bought probably by all those seeking purple tees for the evening game. I guess it was parents weekend.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, your did a great job with your little decorations. They turned out really cute.

I was thinking about the Thanksgiving decorations and I guess Hobby Lobby has had the largest assortment of items that I have ever seen. You have to be ready to buy in August to get the good stuff because they move all the Fall items out and start Christmas very early. However, Thanksgiving lends itself to just some natural things like flowers, colored leaves, pumpkins, acorns and pinecones. The real focus is usually on the meal with family favorites and a gathering of family together. So many people down here in Florida start putting up their Christmas trees after they eat Thanksgiving dinner or right away on Friday afterwards. This was never the tradition when I was growing up so it does seem a bit of a shame to not let Thanksgiving weekend be all to itself. I prefer to just enjoy this last big celebration of Fall with leftover turkey soup and pumpkin pie over the weekend.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once, when the girls were about 6 and 9, they brought me a vase filled with God's natural autumn beauty. They had gone for a brisk November walk with my their mom. I loved that arrangement of grasses ( moon of the red grass) twigs and vines with brown leaves still attached.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2017 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Since the year our son was born we have always put the tree up on his birthday. We put it up the night before, Dec.1st the year I had him and decorated it when we returned from the hospital. After that we always made it part of his birthday and he loves that tradition. When I was growing up we would get the tree Christmas eve but never saw it decorated until Christmas morning. My mom did everything pretty much by herself on Christmas eve. Dad worked nights so she would be up most of the night working on things. Sometimes I don't know how she did what she did on so little sleep. That's when she would do her sewing and things like that too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  05:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, my parents had the same tradition with me and we continued it after my husband and I got married. My birthday, being December 10, we would go to get a tree and cut it down as a family, cut it down, I would bake (or my mom when I was a child) cookies while Erik dealt with the lights and then we'd decorate it together. My parents to this date don't light their tree until I come down and put the sugar plum fairy on top of the tree (they had a nutcracker theme going.)It's so nice to have those traditions isn't it? Maybe your son will like to continue in as an adult as well.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  06:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Katie it is! I am sure he will continue to do the same when he moves into his own place. His birthday is the 2nd of December so we don't leave our tree up too much past New Years. He actually does all the tree stuff except we put the ornaments on together. We don't do real trees now as they are very expensive anymore. When all the children were home we did and we all went together to get it. Since they are all mostly gone now I don't do as much. Though I do some baking still because my oldest granddaughter loves to come over and bake together. She will be 12 on Thursday.

Went last night to get the ceiling paint for the front rooms because when you paint the walls the ceiling is going to need it too! LOL. We also picked out the new hardwood flooring. I wanted to go with carpet but JT wanted to do hardwood. They are already hardwood but it is a very old house and some of it needed to be replaced and refinished so he decided we would just do this instead. It will be better as far as being more airtight and warmer in there. Looking online for a nice rug to put in there. Checking out Plow and Hearth.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a kid, my mother bought our trees at the grocer and we decorated it on the 14th, my sisters birthday. We, our family , always try to purchase our live green tree on Friday after Thanksgiving. Then get them decorated before the weekend is over. My husband and DIL love big trees. They can have one because they have the space and 23' ceiling...we do not. Last year my hubby finally came home with a skinnier tree. Our first one lost its needles immediately, so he drove to Granbury to get another one. (They sold out here)

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  1:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds wonderful Denise.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2017 :  10:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love holidays. I put up Halloween on Oct. 1. November 1 I put up Thanksgiving and December 1 I put up Christmas. We get a real tree and try to get that up by Dec. 15. Part of my Christmas decorations are two small trees. One is in the living room and is decorated in Scandanavian stuff. The other one is on the shelf between the dining room and kitchen. The kitchen side has food and kitchen stuff with birds and wild life on the dining room side.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  03:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like some pretty trees, Bonnie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  06:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My youngest sons birthday is December 7th and I never wanted him to think Christmas was more important than him so we didn't put the tree up until after his birthday. I still follow that tradition, although we pick out and buy our trees Thanksgiving weekend when we go to town fort the holiday parade. We do 2 trees as well. One in the family room downstairs and one in the living room. The family room tree is decorated in farm and John Deere ornaments my husband has collected for years.

Denise don't you just love Plow and Heart.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Sep 28 2017 06:35:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  06:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying all of these stories about Christmas decorating traditions! Each family has it's own plan that makes sense to them. When I was young, we never put the tree up until the morning of December 24th after breakfast and it came down New Year's Day. When I had my family, we started putting up the tree on December 13th which is Santa Lucia Day. It is a Scandinavian tradition in some areas (my husband is Norwegian) that December 13 is the start of the Christmas holidays and since it is a festival of lights, it seemed like the perfect time to get the tree up and lit. Over the years, I have collected and made Scandinavian ornaments and today that is still the way we put up the tree in our family room.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  07:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do two trees too. The big in the family room and the smaller one in what will now be the library room at the front of the house. Previously dad's living room. I like to have one in the front window even though the family room is where we have our celebration together.

Julie, Yes I love Plow and Hearth! They have great stuff.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 29 2017 12:30:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Scandinavian ornaments are beautiful!

Bonnie, I'd love to see pictures of you're decorated rooms if you get a chance. I too, when feeling up to it, love to decorate; each room having a theme.

Katie #7422

Edited by - farmgirl68 on Sep 29 2017 05:50:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  10:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, we usually put up the tree a couple weeks before Christmas. Dad would often buy a tree on his way home from work one night. After I married, we started putting up the tree Thanksgiving weekend. We knew it was fresh and would last longer, because we cut it down ourselves.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  6:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And your home smelled amazing!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  8:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and that went on until I found out I was allergic to the fresh trees. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  8:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no! We have fresh trees, but one year Julie decided we could all save $ by going to a ranch and cutting our own.So off we go through high weeds,with me saying are you sure you want one of these in your house. She did and learned the hard way that Texas Cedar is not the way to go. We were all sick with two days.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2017 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you believe that I haven't picked up a needle or sat at my machine for over a month?! Sign!

Connie, I just love the way you are organized! What a cute skirt of Lily June! Love the cat!

Katie, lovely jacket you made for your mom!

Marilyn, yes I guide my longarm to stitch the designs I desire. It is not computerized but hand guided! Nice project you completed! Hum ... and all from trash! Talk about re-purposing. I'm sure Mary Jane has a badge for that!

Julie, so sorry to hear about Oliver! I do hope all is mending well!

Bonnie, I would love to see a picture of your tree decorated in Scandenavian tradition. Do post a picture if you can! Perhaps we ought to get a thread started in December titled "Oh Tannenbaum!"

Winnie, picture of your tree also! I love Christmas!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  07:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I will post a photo of our tree with all of the Scandinavian ornaments when we get it up. Right now, we just got a bit of cooler weather so the thought of Christmas seems quite distant at the moment. I finally get to wear a long sleeve shirt and a light sweater in the morning. Warm days return tomorrow but yesterday and today were awesome!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  1:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did finally pick up a needle and did some hand embroidery work. I really enjoy working with towels, once the design is stitched, it's done! Finished the whole set of Chick towels on flour sack towels. I had stitched a couple of towels as a sample for Fibre and decided I needed the whole set done. Don't ask me why, I just get that way every now and again! lol

Hum ... I should use those for the hand embroidery badge!

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 07 2017 1:29:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  06:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, Yes you should send that in for your badge!
They are so cute. The embroidery is lovely.

I can't wait to have the house finished up so I can get back to something other than cleaning up messes from working on the floors and such.
We are almost done with the flooring. It takes so long because we only work on it on the days the guys aren't out working. The closer we get to being finished the more I like the colors and flooring we chose. I chose the wall color and JT chose the flooring. It is more rustic looking than I would have liked but it complements the wall color very well. The only thing left after the floor is trim.
Surprise on me JT has decided since the stairs are so old and it would take a lot more than I thought to get them looking nice, we are going to replace them! I think my desire to get things fixed and looking nice again has caught on. I hope it lasts because there is always something that needs done. For us it always seems major but the next thing is just painting. Well, so sorry to have gotten long winded again. Hope everyone is enjoying this fall day whatever you are doing!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on - 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page