Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 10

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Sara :)! It can be so hard to part with some "things". When I clean out my closet, which is usually twice a year, I try to see that someone else would love to have, or really need what I am letting go of. My hubby on the other hand is very hard to let things go, but recently he did really good and took several pair of mans pants, to our clothes closet at Church. For some reason, men don't seem to want to part with their "stuff" as easily! Now to get him to let go of several jackets! We filled up a white trash bag with pairs of socks that are going to the nursing home. Last time I took them my socks, they were doing the Happy Dance. Said that they were desperately needed and appreciated.
To me it is freeing to clean out and share:)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  5:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always had trouble letting go of things, but the more I do it the easier and more freeing it seems to be.
I do still have trouble with family heirloom type things. They usually go to one of my kids but they don't seem to care about having them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  8:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I love your take on things. Reading all these posts, I know it is time for me to take a look in my own closet. My grand daughters take things to a local resale shop. In fact they take things in as seasons change. I think that when I was nine years old and our house burned down...leaving us with nothing...That set the tone for me. I keep things because then I won't be left with nothing. That is silly, I now realize. Thanks friends.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  8:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I posted a response and it didn't seem to get printed here - so I will say it again.

I agree with Denise. I find it hard to let go of heirlooms. Like my mother's aunt's Haviland fine china - it is so thin that I hate to use it for fear it will get broken. However, if I don't start using it soon, I may never get the chance. And I only have one son, who isn't interested in my heirlooms, so I have no one to give it to.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  05:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
My son seems to be the only one interested in family things. But it is the other stuff that I need to part with. Magazines and books, books, books. JT and I have collected many books, old new and in between. Though Jbear and I have discussed turning our front living into a library when the room is no longer in use. That is probably when I will start parting with them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  05:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago, when my mother, her sister my aunt, Warren's mother, and her sister died all within a few years, I ended up with boxes and boxes of dishes, heirloom knit-knats, costume jewelry, and clothing articles. My girls, being millennials, are not the least bit interested in any of that stuff either and refused to take it. I come from a large family and what I ended up with was often what nobody else wanted or would carry home. All that stuff literally filled up part of my dining room with huge boxes stacked on top of each other. After I went through all of it and kept what I could use or wanted, I began to research on Ebay regarding collectibles. There are many people who collect certain dishes, glassware, costume jewelry etc. It took me about 3 years to sort and post lots and lots of this stuff I inherited. It felt good to send it to a home where it was truly wanted and many of the comments given back to me on Ebay verified that point. In the process, I picked up some cash along the way which I put in savings or applied to my regular household needs. Ebay is time consuming and you have to stay on top of it like a business. That being said, I have used it now for about 7 years to downsize items that will sell. Not everything is worth trying to sell on Ebay because it is literally loaded up with stuff that is way to common. But, if you have good things in good condition, there are people who will buy them. I even sold two huge sets of nice dishes locally on Ebay. Now, you get about 50 dollars for a huge set, but in both sales, the dishes were going to the buyers daughter, who had a big family and did big family gatherings, but unable to buy a nice set of dishes. I figure these are the people that my dishes belong to and I think my relatives would have wanted their stuff to go to people who would appreciate and use it too. What I discovered on Ebay is that there are people all over the world who have a passion for certain things and they are the ones who will purchase certain things because they have collections of them.

That being said, it is also important to just find charities and places where they can sell items and use them for good causes. Two of my favorite thrift stores are Hospice and Children's adoption agency. They serve our community and their thrift stores bring in revenue that can be returned into the operations of the organization. It was hard at first to let some stuff go, but once I started, I realized that I would have never used it anyway and it was silly to keep it all boxed up for that "someday".

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading the postings of parting with things, it made me think of all we parted with the past two months. It sure was difficult letting strangers go though Mom and Dad's things, but necessary. The five of us certainly couldn't keep it all. Surprisingly, quite a few of the grand-children wanted a lot of the items. Some of them the best of the things and then others like my daughter things most would call trash.

She wanted her grandfathers old holey sweater. I do mean holey. It must have at least 30 holes in the front alone. Also, his worn out old shoes and a hat. She has the worn out falling apart card her grandmother had on the piano showing the basic cords and notes.

She is going to make a grouping of the items for display. Dad worn the sweater a lot. It will be put on an old wooden hanger she also got and hang it just below a wooden shelf her grandpa made. The shoes will be hanging on the wall too. His hat is going on the shelf and she is putting together a shadow box of her grandma's things to go with it. Memories is what she wanted.

Some of the other grandchildren wanted items to decorate their houses. Some just items they would actually use and others just because items. Of course the grandkids didn't get to choose items until the 5 of us older generation and our spouses were done. Each of us in our own way have things to remind us of our parents/grandparents.

After it was all done the leftovers were donated to a charity. Still it was hard to let the things go, but glad to have them put to good use. Decided to start getting rid of things in my own house. Such as the pile of VSH tapes mostly from both our parents houses, jigsaw puzzles we'll never do again (we have a lot of them), clothing we will never wear again and so on. Don't want to leave it all to our kids in the future. Mom and Dad kept everything. Over 60 years worth of material things.

It's kind of sad. People collect and keep things they think are so important when they really aren't important at all. When you die your things are distributed to others that may not care. It was like watching a group of birds come in and grab up all they could and take off with as much as they could with no thought of others. To me it's more important that family and friends are going to go to heaven. Their salvation is so much more important. Believing that Jesus was born as a baby and grew up and went obediently to the cross, shed his blood, gave up his own life for mankind and then was buried and rose from the grave 3 days later is the most important thing ever. I Corinthians 15:1-4. All people have to do is believe it. Eternal life is going to last a very, very, long time forever doesn't have an end. I would rather give up all I have here and believe in what Jesus did for me than to spend eternity with Satan in the lake of fire (hell). Mom and Dad didn't take anything with them. No not even the quilt I hand made for them. Mom used to say it would be the only thing that God would let her have in heaven and then she laugh. It's on our bed now. God was so very good to all of us through this whole ordeal. It does make you see things from a different perspective.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true Brenda. God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memories of loved ones are more important than a pots and pans or dishes or other items. I cherish the things I have from my grandmother. I am thankful that Baylee has an interest in having them when I am gone some day.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely well said, Brenda. After my siblings and I and then the grandkids got to choose what they wanted as memories, we had an estate sale and then donated the other items to several other organizations. It was hard to part with many of the things, but it's something that has to be done.

I have all of my mother's scrapbooks (she was good at that) by years. I will keep those scrapbooks that include me and my brothers and sister, but really, I don't know most of the people in the other books and not all pictures are labeled. What am I going to do with all those pre-me memories of my parents that mean nothing to us now? And many of the people in the pictures are also gone. Has anyone else dealt with old scrapbooks like this?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  7:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I went to Waco with Ed and another couple and we went to The Magnolia Market. This is the shop that Chip and Joanna started as a spin-off from their cable home decorating show. I've heard so much about this shop - built in an old grain elevator building in downtown Waco. People travel thousands of miles to go here and rave about it. My friend and I and the guys were not impressed, at least not like the many people who comment about going here. I was expecting a lot larger place with a much much larger selection of home decorating items. Yes, I did manage to get several items for the house, but was hoping to find a greater variety. Has anyone else been here and what did you think?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  8:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I also ended up with my mother's scrap books and photo box. I went through the box and sent photos to aunts, and cousins. Her travel pictures were my problem. You could use some old photos in your crafting, or if you do a booth of things you make again, you might use old photos as your tags.
I haven't been to Magnolia Market and the only ladies I have heard comments from said it was great. But everything they do or think of is great. At least you are honest.
I thought she probably had people recreate the things she puts in the houses they redo, to sell there. Is that what it is?
I think she can transform a dump into a palace...however I am not in love with metal shelving in the living rooms,or plastic or metal chairs around a dining table. They don't appear to be very substantial. She is good with color. I always wonder how big the opened up spaces really are.
My son's house is open, living, dining and kitchen all in one big space. Firemen now say that when an open concept home catches on fire, it is usually a total loss. There are few walls and doorways to contain the fire in one area. It also decreases the time to escape.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  4:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, My cousin Melissa and her best friend are driving there in a few weekends. Any Tips for them. They were thinking of borrowing a van in case they bought something big. Her friend just bought a house. They heard a lot about it too like you did.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie - The Magnolia Market doesn't carry many large pieces of furniture. A few metal chairs and smaller tables, some metal shelves and organizational items that hang on the wall, silk flower stems, wreaths, lots of vases, knick knacks, wall decorations, rugs, throws, unique items, etc. Lots more metal than I like, especially in my 1902 house. I bought a vase, a cotton boles stem, a unique string holder with scissors, a metal divided basket that I am going to use in the motorhome for napkins and silverware, and 2 small cans of Joanne's paint that I plan to use to paint a small sewing machine cabinet that someone mistreated. I will take a picture of the items I bought and post it tomorrow. We were only there about 1-1/2 hours, and really didn't even need that much time to go through it all. I saw a lot of very favorable reviews on line and on Facebook, but for me it was nothing special in my opinion. Where is your cousin coming from? Unless they like and want a lot of the larger items, I doubt they'd need a van, and it would use more gasoline to get there. LOL!

Marilyn - My parents siblings are all deceased. My sister isn't interested in them, and I doubt my brothers would, either. My cousin would have liked to see some of them, too, but she passed away 3 years ago. I thought about using the pictures in some of my ATC, tags, or cards projects. And now I think I will look into ways to use them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 05 2017 7:47:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it interesting that it seems us "Farmgirls" are the ones that are interested in the "Sentimental" items. I cannot even tell you what happened to my Grannyma's belongings :( That was my dad's mom. The only thing I asked for (and never received) was a picture of her when she was younger. On my mom's side, my mom's younger sister (she has one older sister and one younger sister) received everything when both of my maternal grandmother's passed... but it was she that took care of them. Over the years, she has slowly handed things out as she has seen fit. I was blessed this past October with a few items that I will treasure always. I have a picture of my grandfather in his military uniform, one of his uniforms, and the flag that was folded during his memorial service, as well as his Bible and some pictures of when he was in Korea. Of my grandmother, I was given some pictures, as well as her mother's Amish black bonnet. (My mom's side of the family is Old Order Amish... my grandfather's family left when he was just a teenager, before he joined the church, so he was never shunned, my grandmother on the other hand left after she joined the church and therefore endured the shunning process).

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

I just thought I would drop by and say hello. Not much going on in my life besides being busy with business life. The beginning of the year is intense for business, it's inventory time. Surrounded by fabrics and counting .... it could be so much worse, I could be counting nails! lol

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  07:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to our local quilt shop yesterday. Wow! I said to the owner, "It looks like you need more room." She has gotten in a lot of new bolts of fabric...and they are literally standing around the ends of every possible space. She said that the building is 3,400 feet, and she has looked for a bigger space. There are so few available and they are way out of her price range. I wish she would have a really good sale, she could clear some older fabrics out. But she thinks differently than me. My son gave me a gift certificate to her store, so I will return again and again to use it, but I need to be mentally ready for overload when I go back.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2017 07:31:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,

It bothers me to see bolts on the floor, especially with our winters, sand, salt you name it on our boots touching the fabric. Yuck! Who can see the fabric when the are stack against one another on the floor. There are stores within my radius that have a huge inventory, bolts stacked .... hardly any space to walk ... it is not my kind of store. I would much rather walk in a place that has bolts on the shelves ... easier to see and admire!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  10:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda, Bless your Heart! I love the grandchild wanted his old sweater and the Piano chord card. Must be sweet memeories in their heart for those things!
Thanks for the info Linda!

Connie
Imagine....33392.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda that is awesome that she found something that she could make and be reminded of them. One of the things about dad living with us is that he went through most everything after mom passed and now we know what he wants done with what is left. He has given the grandkids whatever he wanted them to have. All he really has is his furnishings and personal things.
I agree Shannon, that many of us are sentimental. I think it has to do with having a love of old things. I prefer to have the things that are still useable. I don't like to have stuff around that doesn't have a use. Knick knacks are cute but I can live without so many.
I have aprons and such passed down but I use them because they were made to be used.
We are supposed to be getting about a half foot of snow tonight. We shall see as they called for 3" last night and we got about a half inch. So we will just see what happens. I was able to get lots of errands done today so I don't need to go out if it does snow.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  4:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to love to go to Cabbage Rose in Fort Worth. After Chemo I had to go back for port flushes and blood work, once a month, then every three Months, then every six months, etc. Cabbage Rose was right on the way. A big ramshackle building that felt like home. They always had a trunk show display, a baby and children's area with cribs etc for display,lots of vintage cupboards for display. Everything was organized but it felt as though you were enveloped by beautiful fabrics. I loved it. It was my get well therapy.There was a table where folks would sit and knit and chat. They put your purchase in a brown bag and tied it up with fabric trimmings. Then one day my friend and I stopped and they were having a huge sale. They had to move...just across the street and up a bit. Now It is modern. It is spotless. It is not homey. There is less fabric. Atmosphere, I guess I must love atmosphere.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  4:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i agree with you, Marilyn. Atmosphere!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey gals just dropping by to say hallo! It is currently snowing outside. Our first snow here in North Carolina. We are suppose to get 6 inches. I like many of you am on a huge decluttering spree. I want to spend my time enjoying a few things rather than taking care of lots of things. Still in the process of downsizing. Linda I have wanted to go to the Magnolia Store. I also imagined it to be amazing. Shannon I am so glad you are adjusting and getting situated. I am currently Scrapbooking my grown children's childhood photos. I do not want to move them again. My goal is to complete all the albums this year. And with that being said I don't even know how much they care to keep them. Oh well I will get them done, give them to them and then I will be free of that responsibility I have put on myself. I really miss you gals when I do not communicate like I should. Blessings, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  05:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maryellen,
Glad you could pop in. I haven't even gotten to the big tub of pictures and things I need to go through. I'm going to need a space where I can leave everything out to work on and I don't have it yet.
So, I am working on decluttering everything else. There is always plenty to go through. In time I will get it done.

We are getting snow today. It's so pretty coming down. It's not the big flakes but it may be sticking around. I love it.
Especially since we don't get much over a winter, I have to enjoy it when it's here. Makes me want to get things cozy!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  05:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn , I am with you on the kind of stores that are homey and well used. I prefer them over the sleek modern and contemporary decor every time! Since I am not much of a shopper, store ambience is important to me and will keep me coming back. Big box stores just leave me numb: so much inventory that it is hard to take it all in and make a decision. After about 10 minutes, nothing looks good to me and I want to get out and leave. Weird , huh? Now, if there is a quaint, homey type store full of antiques, cute accessories and is located in an old house or barn, I can get lost in there for hours!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire with friends - January 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page