Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the porch step enjoying a Sept 2016 day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch step enjoying a Sept 2016 day Next Topic
Page: of 8

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  08:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you give him all of the money before he finished, or do you still owe him more?
I used to clean the houses my son built, before the people moved in. I was cleaning as the painters, electricians, AC guys, etc. Were touching up. One painter would ask if I had seen my son, when I arrived at noon. No! Then I would see him on his phone...and then my son would come and pay him some money. No sooner than my son left this guy was gone too. So I made a list of everything he needed to fix. It was three pages long. I gave it to my son and asked if he knew why this guy never worked a full day. My son said he thought he was going for drugs, and he never paid him in full until the job was finished completely. Guess what...I had to work with the man with my list in one hand and a pencil in the other as he moved from room to room finding each and every thing he had missed. That was scary for me, until I realized he did not know that I made the list.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 06 2016 08:49:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  09:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, so sorry to read this about the landscape. It stinks! You might want to give him a call and let him know about your disappointment with his services and that you will let others know about it. Small business strive on word of mouth and yours is not going to be pretty unless he rectifies it. If he's on Yelp etc... or facebook, you can leave a rating with comments. Good luck!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  12:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have held back a little of the money - not enough, it seems. Every time he asked for another draw and I gave him some, he didn't show up for a few days. He knows I'm not happy.

I texted him today to call me and he did. According to him, he was t-boned for the second time in 2 weeks and is in the hospital in Dallas. He is either a very bad driver, always runs red lights, or is the unluckiest guy around. I called the hospital and they have 2 patients around the right age - without being put through to his room it seems he MAY be there. He SAYS he will be here to correctly finish the job next week. We shall see. He says his original concrete/mortar person has quit (I can see why) and he has another that he is working with.

Tha plot thickens.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  1:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got a winner. Is he from south of the border, down Mexico way??? I had a dishwasher once who said that in Mexico they don't stop but every one is yelling ALTO, ALTO, as they dodge each other in intersections. Crazy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  2:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday I took the little black loaner car to the car wash and then took it to the dealership where I found my vehicle nice and clean on the outside. After a month it was nice to sit up high again. However, the experience was short lived when it froze up again in my last left hand turn today. I called and guess what. A truck came out with the little black car on the back. They said mine is unsafe to drive. I told my husband the little black car missed me and wanted to return. Of course the guy who brought it out did not know I had driven it before and began to tell me about the push button start. I laughed and said that I knew because I had driven it for a month.
We finally have a service manager who cares. First time ever. Thank you GOD.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 06 2016 2:38:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! He is not from south of the border.

I guess they really didn't test drive your car after "fixing" it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  3:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually those from south of the border are the best rock and brick layers around.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
His helper who DID the work was from South of the Border, but the contractor isn't. LOL! And now the helper quit - probably because the contractor is late in paying him.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  3:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe so. We lost itty bitty Ramon. He slid off of a roof. (his sons job). He was having back trouble anyway. So he went home to Mexico. He had worked for and with my son for most of Hadlee' s life.
He was always prompt, starched and ironed. He always had his lunch. We became pretty attached to him. He needs to rest and stay home now though . He is 65 years old.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 06 2016 3:48:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  7:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least you have a safe car.
Poor Ramon, he is lucky he is ok.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad your car is safe.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  06:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been keeping up with Marilyn's car problems and Linda's landscaping woes. I don't like dealing with repairmen / remodelers of any sorts.

My five year old washing machine (remember when they lasted 30 plus years)wouldn't fill yesterday. I will call repairman after I grocery shop this morning. Just hope it's not anything major. My pocketbook is in his hands because I won't know if it's a major problem or if the computer just needs to be reset.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Sara, the woes of appliances. How times have changed! We just bought a new dishwasher, delivered yesterday, that isn't installed yet because we need a special part that my local hardware store doesn't carry. You would think that the individual who sold us the dishwasher would have mentioned that?

As for your washing machine, ours crapped out after 18 years. I thought I was buying a "normal" top loader machine. You know, the kind that fills to capacity and when you open the lid to check it out, it's all good. I thought it was strange that the agitator didn't have a center, but figured advance washing technology ... what do I know? Come to find out that I purchased a front loader that loads from the top. I can't stand that new machine. I cannot open the lid without stopping everything ... and it doesn't like that!!!!! I can't even look inside to see how dirty the water is. Poor design!!!! This machine is suppose to think for me .... I can't stand that. I can think for myself. Now I can't soak my cloth etc ....

Oh and another appliance I cannot stand is my new vacuum cleaner. Last year was the year for things to crap out. The person who designed the vacuum does NOT vacuum because s/he would not have designed it that way. DH bought it and he vacuums .... I guess he hadn't looked at the design of the head etc ... I can't even stand looking at the darn thing! Vacuuming in itself puts me in a bad mood .... you can just image what this vacuum cleaner does????? I get in a bad mood just looking at it! I'm in a bad mood just writing about it!!!!!!! lol

Ok, off my soap box on appliances! lol

Well, I "should" get back to work. I really need to work on the website but ..... I need a break!

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 07 2016 12:34:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  08:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara I feel your washing machine pain. Carole you slide over on the washing machine soapbox and let me up there too. I got suckered into the same machine. If it thinks for us, why do my clothes come out with the same spots they went in with, why can I not have a pre soak, pre wash. How can I break that stupid lock so I can throw that stray sock in I just found under the bed without stopping the machine. Why does it know the wash time better than me, what if I want something to wash a little longer. I think it needs that agitator in the middle, just to do a better job. Now I am in a bad mood. Lol.

Back to washing outside windows and getting rid of spider webs under the soffits. That's what really put me in a bad mood, I hate washing windows.

Have a great day everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called the appliance repair place I used to replace oven heating coil. The woman on the phone is very friendly and the repairman was efficient so I hope he is the one who shows up. No time yet - she'll call before repairman comes. They say (whoever they are)troubles come in threes - if so - two down - one to go.

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My iron went out yesterday and I'm trying to make two baby quilts. And I have a favorite one and they don't make it anymore. So what to do now. Hubby has been looking online so now it out to hunt down a new one. Somethings always breaking seem like.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I didn't like my washer, but maybe after reading about these mine isn't so bad. It sure does beat up the clothes, but at least I can add more to it as it's washing and have control over how long it washes and the water level for each load.

Our microwave is showing signs of dying. Would love to get another one like it, but they aren't made anymore. It has a baking drawer in the bottom that works wonderfully for us. I bake cakes, cookies, biscuits and cobblers in it. You can do frozen foods and pizza in it also. We never eat those foods though. It sure keeps the kitchen a lot cooler in warm weather. It's great for smaller batches of foods. Will miss it a lot when it's gone. Saw some on Amazon. Since they are no longer made, decided not to purchase another. Warranties and repairs would be a nightmare.

Guess we decided we would purchase another microwave and a toaster oven. Found a toaster oven that looks really nice. We'll see.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Wow it sounds like everyone is having appliance issues! Thankfully my hubby is pretty handy - he actually fixed my dryer the other week. I am so looking forward to having a permanrent clothesline again! When we move, as long as we get the house we are hoping for, it comes with a washer and dryer. Super excited as ours are 12+ years old... and my washer is literally rusting with pieces falling into the washer!!! We are pretty hard on our set with as many kiddos as we have!!! We do about two loads of laundry every. single, day!

We spent Labor Day weekend up in Maryland visiting our families, saying goodbye. We still are waiting for our orders, but they should be coming soon!!! Of course, I have been thinking that for awhile, lol.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I am not supposed to bake because my oven quit one evening last week. The reason I bought this new five burner stove four years ago, was because the oven was out on the stove I had been using for nine years.My son says you are lucky to get an appliangce that lasts eight years, in this day and time. They just bought a new fridge. Three years ago they had to get a new washer. He offered Julie a new dish washer when they got the fridge, but she said for now the old one still works. I need a microwave too. My dryer screams a lot but works just fine.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to go back to rubboard days or the wringer washing machine but I would like a machine that had a stop & go button with no flashing pretty lights like it's getting ready for lift-off.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! This must be the year of the appliance failures. Can I add cars to that? My car became a money pit this summer and I got a new car - a Honda CR-V. I love it, but I was used to my Acura MDX, so do miss some of the features it had that this car doesn't.

Now I am looking for a new refrigerator. Mine is still working, but my son's refrigerator died and I've wanted a black one to match my other appliances for a while, so thought maybe the time is now. I could give him mine to save him some money. LOL! I like the French-door refrigerator - two doors for the refrigerator and the freezer drawer on the bottom. There are so many of them! I've almost narrowed it down to Whirlpool because they are made in the USA - they have 2 French-door refrigerators. One has the normal 3 doors, the other has a separate drawer on the outside that is refrigerator (not freezer) for some of the things you (or kids) may get out of the refrigerator more often so they don't have to let all the cool air out. Do any of you have one of these? Is this extra drawer handy or not so handy? For some reason the 4 door model is cheaper than the 3-door model - go figure.

I agree with Brenda. I can open my machine at any time and the agitator stops, but I can see water, clothes, soap or whatever. Works for me. It is about 14 years old, so hopefully it will last a bit longer. Then again, there is my dryer, bought at the same time. If you open it mid cycle now it doesn't stop. The door switch isn't working. Ed says if I can get the switch he will fix it. A part of the heating element went out several months ago and I had to get that fixed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  8:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, my son and Julie just bought a French door Kitchen aid refrigerator. Boy it is nice. Have you looked at them? They had a side by side previously. The new fridge is stainless. The dishwasher is white. The washer is stainless and the dryer is white. I am so amazed that Julie is not bothered by mis matched colors.
Oh yes, we unplugged the stove, waited a bit and plugged it in again. It WORKS! YEA!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  8:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I did look at KitchenAid refrigerators, too. I find that stainless steel appliances really show fingerprints more than white or black. My kitchen is small, so I think that all black appliances will help keep it together. I did find that many manufacturers charge more for black and white over stainless steel.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  03:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least we are not back in the 70s with Harvest Gold and Avocado green appliances.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  05:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the memories. Gotta confess I still like avocado green appliances. Now the pink I had when I first got married in 1964 that's a different story. As for as I am concerned pink has no place in the kitchen. All my appliances are white except for the kitchen sink and it's stainless steel which I really like. You say a kitchen sink isn't an appliance I beg to differ - it is in my house just that it's run by "farmgirl" power instead of electricity.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the porch step enjoying a Sept 2016 day Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page