Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the front porch - June 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch - June 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 4

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  03:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me neither, I'm dying to know what they are. We had a terrible storm late last week and a limb from my big maple came down. It's sitting on my cable wires, but no real damage. I couldn't get the tree guy to come until today, he's been so swamped. Almost everybody had some kind of tree damage. Hope we don't get any more of that kind of thing!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  06:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy was the storm off of the tropical storm that hit down here? Glad the limb didn't cause more damage than it did!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy,I am glad you are doing ok and get your cable fixed and you are all safe!
Hope you all are doing well too Shannon.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  12:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Happy Flag Day everyone!

God Bless you all.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  6:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love the picture, Darlene.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, You come up with the neatest pictures. So glad someone does. Love seeing them.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  10:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I find them on the web by putting what the subject is and then put images after it then copy and paste to my email and then save. so I can put on messages here.
I know that Connie and Carole have put some on the Hen House as well and others as well.

Thanks again.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  06:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, the flag picture reminds me of when Americans were so patriotic. I miss those times.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  07:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

What a treat to be able to sit and catch up on henhouse news while enjoying a cuppa. We've had a spell of cold weather here in way Northeast NY, to the point where we turned the heat on one evening! I do like cool nights, it makes for a good nights sleep!

Julie, gorgeous picture of our henhouse logo! I do love the Prairie Rose. So glad we all voted on that flower. I like the idea that it's wild!

Everyone seems busy with gardening ... we have our garden all set up. Last night we found the culprit that has been enjoying our beet leaves and lettuce. What a mess the creature has made! Our lush lettuce leaves are almost non existent and our beet leaves munched away!!! At first I thought it was a rabbit with a huge appetite. We seem to have more hopping around than usual. But last night the thief showed its furry face ... a gopher! What the heck! I have never seen a gopher in our neighbourhood!!! We have raised beds and dh saw it try to hop over the wall! The creature hadn't figured out that the stairs might be easier! lol We think it is living under the shed of our next door neighbour. Pumpkin will be surrounding the garden with chicken wire.

This year will be the first time I will be harvesting strawberries. I'm really excited. I planted them last year. Lots of flowers and berries coming up. Given our little garden thief, I'm thinking I should probably cover my strawberries to keep the birds and perhaps Mr. Gopher from eating them. Not even sure if it's part of their diet. Anyone have suggestions?

On Monday Pumpkin and I took off for an adventure. We went to the King Arthur Flour campus in Norwich VT. We had a delicious lunch and afterwards went shopping in a baker's haven! They offer lots of classes on various baking subjects. I would love to take their 3 day class on bread baking. I bake bread (by hand and using my bread maker) myself and would enjoy learning from an expert! Speaking of bread, last night I decided to make a raisin bread for Pumpkin (bought some fancy cinnamon at KA) and forgot to add the raisins! So I have a raisin polka dot bread! lol

After King Arthur we visited a science museum and had lots of fun! It was a great day! I love those adventures with my Pumpkin!

Geeez, long post! Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I are getting ready for our next trip to Michigan; we leave on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  11:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you will have nice weather.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got back from a quick trip to the Florida panhandle with some friends. We went to Wakulla Springs and stayed at the Lodge which was built in 1933 and still retains lots of the original details. The Springs out back are a state park and it has been roped off into a lovely swim area for families. The water is between 68-72 degrees all year long which is very COLD for swimming but felt wonderful on the 95 degree days we have been having! We also saw two Manatees swimming in the boating area where they live there on a regular basis.

The next day, we went to Apalachicola, Fl. and stayed two nights at The Gibson Inn which was originally built in 1907. It is the coolest place and sits right at the base of the bridge on the bay. The area is historically famous for oysters, shrimp and other seafood. However, Georgia and Alabama have been diverting a lot of water up stream on the state lines and so less fresh water is now flowing in the bay and the fresh/salt mixture is effecting the oysters in a terrible way. Everyone is trying to negotiate a fair portion of the river's waters that flows through the three states before heading to the Gulf of Mexico.

It was a fun quick trip but it was terribly HOT everyday which made doing things outside unpleasant. The sun was punishing bright and hot! But hey, it is June in Florida so that is just the way things are. Carole, the idea of a cold spell seems wonderful to me!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  8:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's funny Winnie, needing a cold spell cause it is so hot! Sounds like a neat trip in Florida, especially seeing the Manatee's. Sad about the water being diverted. We have kind of the same problem here. Southern California diverts Northern California's rivers and then they wash their cars and whatever when there is a drought and our rivers look like their practically dry., An on going argument and then our county wants to split California into a a different state called Jefferson. I wouldn't mind the split the don't want to live in a state called Jefferson.... Strange people here.

Carole,Sounds like you had a nice time at the Science museum and the King Arthur Flour campus, I bet your polka dotted bread was good anyway with butter on it, yum!
We have a problem at school with Gopher's and the one custodian is always trying to catch them, it is funny to watch him check his traps.
I bet your Strawberries are going to be so good and tasty.

Today our school had it's field day and it was kind of fun and the last thing was the most fun to watch. The had teams of two no matter what age and there was 3 to a team. Each team had to stand on these ski like things with 3 foot holders in each ski. It was a coordination thing, they all had to move the same leg to get the ski's to moving. They didn't do too badly, it was funny and fun.
Anyway it was a fairly nice day, Have a great evening everyone.

hugs

The places you stayed at must have been beautiful and so much history.

Thanks for sharing

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  03:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we went on a field trip with some friends... to a local goat farm. I love it there! She keeps at least 10 dairy goats, along with two bucks, and right now has around a dozen babies. She raises Alpines and Nubians... She is actually the one that I buy our raw goat milk from, to make Emi her formula (did I mention that before? Supplementing her with goat milk formula to try to get some weight on the poor baby!) Anyways, the owner, knowing we want goats, took the time to show us how to trim their hooves. What a great learning experience.

Today I am hoping to can some veggie broth and chicken stock. We also have the movers coming this afternoon to look over everything in the house to get an idea of what they are looking at moving next week.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  05:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't heard that about splitting the state of California into 2. WOW! What will they come up with next?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  07:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did we ever find out what a cucamons is?

Shannon did you get your place in Wyoming? I sure hope so! I hear goat milk is really good for you. I like some of the cheese from them.

Linda Splitting the state has been going on a long time but we in Northern California are lacking in numbers and the big voters are all in Mid and Southern part of the state so it will never pass.

Well have a great day everyone.
Blessings
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, where will you be moving to next week?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  3:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cucamons are tiny watermelon striped fruit the size of large grapes. They grow on a vine and taste like lemon cucumbers. Great for salads.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9589 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9589 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  5:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I hadn't heard that about California but I know Southern NJ has wanted to split from north nj for years and years. Mostly because our car insurance is so high due to the accidents in North nj where it is city and there are so many claims.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6094 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  8:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, Cucamons sound yummy. Thanks.

Denise, Apparently this has been going on for years, but won't happen because of lack of voters.

It would make a big difference becaust then the Southern half wouldn't get out water, which really hurts the Salmon spawning.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Jun 16 2016 8:24:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  04:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! All this state splitting makes me think of Separation Day, which we just celebrated here in Delaware. We have a big festival in New Castle, which was our our original state capital. Heres some info I copied that I thought you'd find interesting.

On June 15, 1776 – more than two weeks before the fateful vote in Philadelphia – Delaware declared its own independence. The scene was set as the Continental Congress was meeting in Philadelphia, considering what soon would become the Declaration of Independence. Residents representing the three counties that were then “The Assembly of the Lower Counties of Pennsylvania” voted unanimously to reject not only the rule of the England and King George III, but also the authority of the family of William Penn.

Those three counties now made up the State of Delaware. There's our history lesson for the day, hee hee!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  05:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How interesting Amy! I love learning about Colonial history and your state is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  06:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, I know we read about Talleyville in Baylee' s eighth grade history book, but I do not remember what it said. It was a crazy time because her grandfather in Wisconsin was very sick. Her mom went to see him and did not come home for a month. So each night after our meal, I would read to her and she would fill out her question sheet, the teacher had given her. I was reading to her, trying to be faster, because she had more homework and I still had to read with Hadlee. I love history and had subbed in that class a lot, so it was fun to help her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4750 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4750 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  6:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cucamons sound delicious. Have to see if I can find them. Do they grow on a tree or vine or ???

Today my day (4 hours of it, anyway) was spent on the phone or chat with a McAfee Security Software tech (in India, of course) trying to fix my software. They uninstalled my version and wanted to re-install it and - lo and behold - it would not download. After trying 3 times to do this (and my Internet is slow so it took 45 minutes each time) and copying the log each time, they said they had looked over the latest calls about problems and found out this was a GLOBAL problem. So, I have temporary software for security and they said they would have a fix in 48 hours. I will never buy McAfee again! My new laptop has ESET on it. Sorry to vent - needless to say, I am very frustrated right now.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  7:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are lots of problems right now. My phone will not load facebook or email. Baylee's i phone totally locked down on her a month ago. She had to make a trip to Fort Worth, because they would not give her a new phone here. She was under warranty and insured so they gave her a new phone. But she and her best friend were out in that bad storm on their way home. I don't use McAfee but every time I turn on my desk top it tells me it has expired. What...scam???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch - June 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page