Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  6:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we went to the yard sale at the Lutheran church Saturday, I pointed out the big purple irises to my granddaughter. When they were putting in the very large Fowler beds that run down both sides of the gym, I dug irises and took buckets of them up there to plant. Now eleven years later they are still beAutiful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have purple irises, too. Love them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  7:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not realize until this year,how much taller the newer irises grow than the very old varieties. I have some very old yellow ones. They really bloomed and bloomed this year. Now the purples are showing off. I love them too Linda.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  10:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Linda, our daughter started to mow the law when she was 10 years old (under supervision and dh would not let her do the ditch). DH had to rig something on the gaz petal because dd wasn't tall enough. The seat had a sensor so that if it had no weight, the mower wouldn't advance. When my Pumpkin was 3 years old, she asked me to teach her how to drive because, and I quote, "I want to go places all by myself". lol And, for her 4th birthday, she wanted a Volkswagen beetle with lots of stickers on it! lol Needless to say, that year she received the stickers but not the car! lol So, to quench her need for transportation, we started her on horseback riding lesson and later on the lawn mower!

Marilyn, I have irises, I think they are the older version (my home is 150 years old). I do have a recent batch that are much thinner than the original ones. I will take a picture when they are in bloom. Their root system reminds me of a ginger root. The newer ones are more like small bulbs.

Not much going on in my world. I had plans on being quite productive on the weekend, but just ended up being to exhausted to do anything. Best be getting back to work. Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  10:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! My grandtwins love to ride with me or Ed on the mower - they are 9 now and in another year or two I'll let them mow on their own. I know they want to, but right now all they want to do is go FAST!

I'll take a picture of my purple iris, too. My farmhouse is about 115 years old, and I think these iris have been here quite a while.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  12:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I never answered your question about my daughter, sorry! She's going to be a Nurse Practioner and work in family practice. After almost eight years on a med surgery floor in the hospital she's really ready for a change! I love irises, too, especially the big purple and yellow ones, and I'd love to see pictures! I have a few smaller ones, we call them water iris, but I don't know if that's the real name. Right now my back yard is really pretty. The forsythia is still blooming and so is the spirea and the almond. And now the lilacs are coming out, so it's really colorful. I love spring, yippee!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Purple, purple, purple.These are mine.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  12:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One lonely red beauty, and my climbing thornless rose...Zephirine Drouhin. I love this thing. The best one is about 10 feet long now. Two are rather shady, but doing well. They are easy to root.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 12 2016 12:47:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  12:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, beautiful flowers Marilyn!! thanks for sharing today!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  2:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  10:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn those are beautiful flowers, What a pleasure to see such lovely colors.
Thanks

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darlene, I love irises because they will grow right along with all of the critters we have roaming and scratching about.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, they are gorgeous flowers, thanks so much for posting these pictures! My favorite of all the irises is the one in the middle, the sort of dusty plum colored ones with the yellow center. They remind me of my great-grandmother, she had them. The red beauty is striking, and, of course I love love love roses! Beautiful!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, I also love irises, I just wish they would last as cut flowers. I used to cut them for church, they don't have to last as long, but I learned to enjoy them as they grow.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture of my irises. The yellow and 2-tone got beaten up by our tiny hail the other day.

So sorry that these pictures turned out upside down. LOL! I posted them from my cell phone.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Apr 13 2016 3:32:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  11:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, nice irises. The two top ones look very familiar to the ones we have. I just don't recall if they are dark or light purple. You seem to have a lovely flower garden. I have cut back on flowers. I do grow sunflowers. Roses do not seem to do well in my area. This year I went to the local feed store and bought a pound of white clover seeds. I'm going to try to choke out the weeds with clover! lol And, it's good for the chickens and bees.

Linda the top picture looks a lot like my skinny irises.

Not much going on in my life as of late. Best press "submit" reply before I walk away from it for another 2 hours! Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 13 2016 12:06:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  12:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would stop in here for a minute. We are finally getting over the virus that seemed to cling to us. Perfect timing, as we have a busy weekend planned... Friday we are hoping to head to the zoo, Saturday to a Living History Reenactment about three hours away, and Sunday church, with a fellowship afterwards. It will be busy, but fun busy, as a family :)

I love all of your pictures of flowers! I am horribly bad at planting and taking care of flowers, though I admire them greatly. Tree are some flower beds in front of, and around this house. We attempted to plant some vegetable seeds in the soil, but I think there is too much clay for them to take. I have a hard time spending too much to fix the soil and get anything flourishing, as we do not intend to be here past August! However, some flowers in those areas may help dress the front of the house up nicely, as right now it seems quite bare. I will have to do some research and see if anything will survive the state of the soil, and the heat that is surely coming our way.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  6:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Flowers! I have never had luck with Irises :( I think I have planted them too deep. The Farmers Market always has them, and every year I say "I will try again"! We don't have a lot of sunshine on our property as we are pretty much in the woods, but do have some sunny spots I could try them again!
I walked around today trying to find a spot to put a Hydrangea that we got for Easter, finally settled on a spot and planted it! Sure hope it is happy there! I love flowers and am trying to plant Bee friendly flowers for our Bees! They have been enjoying this warmer weather!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  6:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth, here in Texas I have the best luck when I divide and move my irises in late August. My MIL always cut her tops back in August, and always at an angle. Why, I do not know. My son usually does a final mowing about then, so he cuts them back. Perhaps, like spring bulbs they need to keep their leaves a while. When I move them around, I break the rhyzones at the joints dig shallow holes and put them in. Then cover with a bit of soil and water. I usually water again and again, about once a week, or until God takes over with Autumn rains. My goal is to put more all the way down our driveway. I did this several years ago, but when they redid the gravel road some were buried and never found a way out.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  6:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have never divided irises, or any other bulbs, but would love to try it sometime. These iris are bunched together so I really should divide them. Got a few places I can put them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  7:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, some tiny irises need a lot of water, and grow best near ponds or bogs. Others could be oriental or ??? They are all pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  10:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am drooling girls. Yesterday morning it was 19 degrees. Today it was. 70. Those temps are supposed to stay all week. It won't be long until we have irises too. Yours are beautiful.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful flowers Marilyn. I worked in my flower beds all afternoon. The tulips are coming nicely and should be blooming in a few weeks.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6095 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6095 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a pack of seeds I want to plant they are San Marzano tomatoes, look really good for Spaghetti sauce if they grow.
We shall see.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  03:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took Lily to a weekly program they have at a close by state park for 3-5 year olds on Wednesday. They do all kinds of little lessons and activities on nature, ecology and things like that. This week the kids planted their own little gardens to take home. She planted lettuce, watermelons, cucumbers, sweet alyssum and marigolds. My goodness, she's so proud of it!

Ruth, I'm in the planning stages of naturalizing my back yard to make it wildlife-friendly. One of my goals is to provide plants to attract and support pollinators. What kinds of plants would be good for bees?

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page