Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - February 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - February 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 7

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  05:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Saturday I went to my favorite Helping Hands Thrift Store in Rockwall, TX, and bought a chair and ottoman. I had looked at it for a couple weeks, and it was still there, so I guess it was meant to be mine. The fabric is a bit worn on the back two corners of the chair, but it is very comfortable and I got both pieces for $30. I can do my hand sewing and be very comfy. I also got a book, an old boot jack, and a grouping of 12 older adjustable embroidery hoops in various sizes (for only $5). I love that store!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 23 2016 07:08:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  10:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great buy Linda and lots of fun. that chair sounds like a great idea for sewing and stuff.
I love going to Second hand stores to shop, I really enjoy the Goodwill store up in Vancouver WA. My daughter and I enjoy shopping there.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  11:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to hit the thrift stores and yard sales for books. JT and I are bookaholics. This can both good and bad.
Nice weather here today. Dave, my bil, went out to golf. Hoping our weather has decided to stay this nice for awhile. Never can tell with March coming.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to poke around in second hand stores too. When I was growing up we shopped for all furniture in second hand stores and do you remember the dime stores? We did not have a Woolworths, but we had a couple of others and they had that blue waltz perfume. I remember going to a jewelry store for costume jewelry. We went to the stationery store for onion skin to type our term papers on. I was fourteen, driving, when my mother had breast cancer surgery. I went to our tiny flower shop to get some roses for her. The lady said "No." She knew about my mother's surgery and said roses would wither in a room with ether smells, so I left with carnations. I never forgot the wonderful smells in that tiny shop. I think life was better when we had tiny shops and blue laws.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  12:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just love thrift and second-hand stores, probably TOO much! I really need to have a garage sale and sell some of what I already have. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A used book store opened 3 years ago just 4 miles up the road from me. I have to pass it each time I go into town. I agree it can be a bad thing. Just got a notice of all the sales coming up at the Book Cottage in the near future. Yipppy! My DH, daughter and myself are all book hoarders. We could open a library. lol Even though our daughter moved out, most of her books are still here. Told her it was too much to move into her tiny apartment. Love books and a great deal.

My favorite places to go are thrift stores, second hand stores and garage sales. Got a beautiful hand crocheted pineapple design tablecloth for $4. It had stains, but thought I could cut around the stains and use it for other projects. After I washed it, my husband said it turned out to nice to cut up. We can live with the cigarette burn. It hardly shows.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is something that you can't find around here. If it looks old and it is any type of tablecloth or towel or linens they charge an arm and a leg no matter the shape it is in. Garage sales are the only place we ight get lucky on that.

I love vintage hankies and have so many from my grandmother and great grandmother. Many of them are tatted or done in Irish lace that I can't bear to part with them or make them into something else. Though in the past I have thought of using them plain ones without edging to decorate a quilt or something.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best bargains here are IF you happen upon a sale, where the kids come to get rid of mom and dad's stuff after they are gone. My favorite was a quarter sale on the last day. Now days more and more folks do not want to move all of their things to their new home and just try to sell now and buy new when they get to the new destination.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  09:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
CONGRATULATIONS! Brenda Wheeler, our newest hen in the hen house! She won the Clothespin Bag Giveaway in MaryJane's "Raising Jane" Journal. I love the hints Brenda gave for hanging out blue jeans and socks. I have always hung socks the same way. Here's what Brenda said:

“That bag is as cute as can be! A little trick I learned to keep blue jeans from fading so fast is to hang them wrong side out. Also, I to undo the button and zipper. It doesn’t take so long for the placket around the zipper to dry and it also lets air around the pockets. Another thing I do is to only put the clothespin on socks from the top and through only one layer of fabric. I have found that thick work socks dry faster and it doesn’t seem to stretch the tops. I have been hanging my clothes out for at least 43 years now. Love the smell, and they last so much longer. Thanks for all the previous tips, ladies.”

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulation's on winning Brenda on Winning the clothes pin give away..Nice job!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  3:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I saw that today. Congratulations Brenda!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  9:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Brenda!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  9:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just checking to see if you have heard from Marlee, They are having a lot of tornadoes in Louisiana.

Take care everyone.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  04:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee posted in the swap thread. I think that was last night.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  05:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have several farm girl sisters in the states that had tornadoes last night.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  05:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, the bad weather is moving through our state but the sun is shining at the moment. It is windy and gusty so I know that colder weather is on the way again. I heard that the panhandle of Florida had terrible storms last night and early this morning. I am not sure if that is coming our way later or not. It has been consistently in the low 70s for about 5 days and tomorrow will be back to the low 60s with 30s again at night. Things get so wild in the weather this time of year with the heat and cold clashing!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  07:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are suppose to get hit with those storms today... enough so that they are taking precautionary steps with schools and at the base! Our backyard is already flooded again :/

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  09:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Was cold here yesterday, and very gloomy, rainy, and windy. Today the sun is shining, but it is still cold and very windy.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  09:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all be safe out there! The weather channel was scarey last night.

Otherwise have an awesome day!

hugs and love.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  11:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cousin, in Palm Desert California, told me yesterday that they have not had winter. It was 80° yesterday. He thinks they will be over 120° this summer at this rate. Our weather is just crazy. When I was a kid tornados came in May and June, in Tarnado Alley. Now they are year round all over the US. What is wrong? Some say the end times. Whatever it is nuts.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard something on the radio for different states today. Not sure because I only heard the very end but NJ was included and all counties in all the states they were naming. But it was only until 2 pm which at that time it was already 2:45. Tornadoes are something that always scares me. I have been through hurricanes and tornadoes are much worse. They do so much damage in such a short amount of time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  8:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Julie, I was just thinking about you on Tuesday. As I crossed the bridge to Vermont, I noticed some crazy people ice fishing in insanely cold weather! lol

I want to extend an invitation to you and yours to come ice finish on Lake Champlain. I hear the perch is excellent!

I'll stay home and keep the fires burning for when you get back and need to thaw! Just sayin' LOL

Anyone else ice fish besides Julie? You are more than welcome to stop on over!

Lake Champlain is beautiful! It's usually much more crowded with ice fisher people, but like I mentioned, it was bitter cold and windy!

In the summer time it's a lovely boating lake. So sweet to sail and kayak!

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 24 2016 8:13:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful photo Carole. It does look cold there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pic Carole. I would love to try out your lake, might be a little far to haul all our gear though and I will only fish if there is a cozy heater going in our ice house. Yes, I am a fair weather fisher woman, Keith on the other hand thinks the best time to be out there is in a full fledged blizzard and 30 below. We are done ice fishing for the year here, we started seeing open water on several lakes last week and a neighbor dropped his pickup through our favorite lake. Fortunately he wasn't to far off shore. Between us and my fishing sons we put lots of fish in the freezer. I have been doing a bit of spring cleaning and purging in my basement. I have new carpet coming for the family room in a few weeks, so seems like a good time to paint and freshen up. It will be great to get it done before we start spring field work and calving.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Feb 25 2016 12:49:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really a beautiful Picture, too cold for me! I like to fish but in the summer time by a river, that is good for me. I haven't don't that in years though.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - February 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page