Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - February 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - February 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 7

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  1:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like a good pot of soup.

Any suggestions of how to make my white beans thicker. should I remove the water and cook them down or what?
I cooked them with too much water which makes good soup but I would like them to be thicker?

Thanks

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  1:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually remove most all the liquid but save it to add when I need more.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  2:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I will try to get it to thicken. I will save the soup for other things I can add to it.

Thanks Denise.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  03:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I spoke too soon about mom not getting the virus too badly. She was very sick for about a week, her fever got pretty bad, but didn't stay up long. She's still recovering and feeling very depressed. It's so hard trying to keep her spirits up, she gets depressed so easily. Between all the sickness and the frigid cold I've been stuck in the house. I couldn't seem to concentrate on any crafting, so I'm working on cleaning out my fabric stash, which includes a whole lot of old clothes. I'm keeping very little, so it feels good. I'm going to have a nice, neat stash of 6, 4, and 2 inch squares for creative playing, plus lots of interesting buttons, zippers and trims. It's helping me keep my mood up, too!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  05:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, I am sorry for your mother's problems.
My husband also has depression issues. He had always denied it until after his back surgery. It really brings the care giver down too. I bought us both some SamE tablets. I could tell a difference in me in a few days, it took about two weeks for him.
I need to clean out and sort my sewing supplies also.
I made the decision to stop the madness I had created. I closed my Etsy shop, canceled my upcoming craft show, closed my blog and gave up my domain name, canceled my Teachers pay teachers membership...and when I put my tax certificate in the mail to return it
Tuesday... I will be so free. I was almost giddy yesterday, feeling light and free.
Now I can be me, rather than the streamed out person I have been.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  05:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, I am sorry to hear that your mom has been so sick lately! It is very hard to be cooped up indoors with illness and nasty cold weather outside. I hope this week will show much improvement on both scores! Depression in older people is very common. You might want to discuss your observations with her General Physician. Sometimes a bit of medication for depression can make a huge difference in how they feel and increases their energy as well. It is at least worth discussing. Enjoy your craft simple clean out. I know you will feel good about getting things better organized and just the way you want them going forward.

Wow Marilyn, you really took the bull by the horns and stopped your crazy situation. You go girl!! You are an inspiration to all of us to take charge of what is dragging us down.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  06:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Amy - so sorry to hear about your Mom's depression and that you have been cooped up in the house due to family illness. That is hard on everyone. I hope she starts feeling better soon and you can get out of the house. Nice that you are cleaning our your fabric stash. That's a great way to help yourself feel good when you can get more organized.

Marilyn - WOW! You are really taking the bull by the horns to get some relief. I could not do an Etsy shop or a blog, because I know I would be crazy. I have too many things going on at once (more so in retirement than before - go figure) that I would never be able to keep up.

Cleaning up craft/fabric supplies is always good. I need to do that here, too. My sewing room is so piled with tubs of projects, fabric and other craft supplies. A good clean-out is definitely on my need-to-do list. I have one 44-gallon (or so) tub just full of fabric scraps. Another tub is full of fabric selvages. I am thinking of offering some of the scraps to farmgirls if they just pay the postage; the scraps are great for scrappy blocks for quilts. Anyone here interested? LOL!

I also have way too many quilts that I have made - I only have 2 beds and my cabinet where they are stored is full to the brim. I am putting the binding on one quilt now to donate to a neighbor's fundraiser for a raffle. They are hosting a fundraiser motorcycle rally in June and the money raised will help her family ministry that she started a year or so ago. The ministry is to assist battered women and their families. I may post some of the other quilts for sale on MJF or other sites. I love making the quilts, but can only keep so many. I have given quilts to all my siblings, my son and his family, and for raffles, and still have plenty here and plenty more in the UFO list.

Congratulations to all of us who can get organized this year.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  12:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have been busy Denise, and I understand about being busier after retirement, What is that anyway, Working and volunteering and crafting and stuff plus my favorite thing of visiting on here, Love you all!

That is a very nice donation for a fund raiser, home made quilts are always appreciated in fund raisers.

If you do decide to do your scraps I would be interested and pay the postage. Let me know.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon congratulations on winning The book Mooon over

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Feb 15 2016 12:14:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, Marilyn many prayers! Chronic illness of any kind, causes depression. Medications contribute also. All you can do is the best you can do. Try to balance the pain with keeping your mind focused on others things, if your the one who is sick and caregivers need our support!!! As we all know some days are better than others. For me living with MS, my faith is my foundation and SPG Farm Sisters are a bright spot in my life!! I am blessed that I have not needed a caregiver, my life has changed soooo much since 1999, I had to give up a lot, and slow down, but taking care of my basic needs all on my own is something to be thankful for!!!

Spring like temps for us starting tomorrow with a high of 68 and Sunny on Saturday!!
Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  1:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is amazing, Darlene, you do so much.God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn.

Have a good evening.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy so sorry to hear about your mother. Marilyn, you go girl. You will be a new woman. Hopefully you will have lots of time to do things you truly enjoy. Linda I bet your quilts are beautiful! I know whom ever receives them will be very blessed. I too would be interested in the scraps. I am anxious to see pictures of the quilts. I know what you ladies mean by the craft room clean out. We are going to be relocating this summer and I am half excited, half dreading cleaning out the craft room. Darlene you are always so busy. I agree one of my favorite things to do is get online and check up on you ladies. Connie I am with you if I didn't have my faith as my foundation I'd be lost. Shannon you are super sweet and deserve the best of everything. Not much new here. Schools were canceled today because we were suppose to have winter storm but it never really happened. I finished the tablerunner I was working on. Need to keep on getting these projects done. Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Maryellen you are busy too. I would love to see the table runner or did you post it? So they didn't have school when they didn't have the winter storm? I agree with you and Connie, my faith keeps me going. Well have a warm evening. We had fog most of the day here and the sun is out now. This is normal for here and we haven't really had normal in a long time. so one normal day yay.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  5:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everyone,

Taking a bit of time to catch up!

Linda, you can never have to many quilts! lol I think it is very generous of you to donate your quilts as fundraisers. I love making quilts, and have quite a cabinet full! I like making small quilts and use them as decorations. I had dh build me a smaller quilt rack. Will post pictures once it's up on the wall.

Wow Marilyn, that's taking control of your life! Way to go! Glad you feel relief!

Amy, so sorry to read about your mum. Hoping things will get better soon. Cleaning out your stash is a great idea. I do it at least twice a year. Put fabric that no longer speaks to me in a box and donate it to a group of ladies who make quilts for a women's shelter. It's such a great feeling know that the fabric is being put to good use.

Not much going on around here except attempting to keep warm. Last night it went down to -15!!!!! The wind is so cold! It is difficult to keep the house at a comfortable temperature, that's when the fuzzy shirt come in handy!

Take care everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  04:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the love, prayers and good advice everyone! I'm in complete agreement, I'd be in bad shape without faith, all of you and my amazing friends here at home. Mom got up a little yesterday -- hooray! We had a miserable mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain, but I was a happy camper with mom starting to come out of her "funk". Marilyn, I mentioned on the "What Are You Working On" thread that I'm also trying to make my creating time more enjoyable, but when I read here all the changes you've made to get to that goal, Wow, way to go! :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Feb 16 2016 04:40:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  05:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, when I joined MJF last April, and loved it, then accepted the call to teach preschool...I began to think about my too busy life. Then I was ill and my husband had surgery. It took a few months to muster the courage to pull the plug, but WOW am I glad I did.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  12:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone here has been busy. Good to see lots going on. I got up with vigor this morning and did a bit of tidying up. Things feel so much better when everything is clean.
It has been raining since last night and cleaning all the snow away. Suppose to warm up a bit this week. Looking forward to warmer temps but I know we also have the chance of more rain so I doubt I'll get much done. My bil has been looking a bit more earnestly for his own place. His son is still in Florida and he wants to bring him up here near him. Getting the itch to do some Spring cleaning. I saw I have a couple of my hyacinths peeking up through the ground. Shouldn't be too long before we see some color from those. At least it is a sign Spring is not to far off!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 16 2016 12:03:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  1:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the little Pawnatuxey Ground hog was right this time and Spring is to be sprung early.
Here is a little Spring to enjoy!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darlene and MaryEllen -

I agree. Marilyn has me really psyched to get something done, but working on projects with deadlines gets in the way of really cleaning out. If any of you would like to come by and help me, I will feed you. LOL!

Taking some of my scraps for paying the postage would be a wonderful way to help me get a start cleaning out my sewing/craft/guest room/house area. They are just chucked in the bin, so would definitely need ironing. They are great for small scrappy sewing items, because some are really small pieces and others are strips. Almost all are cottons, since I don't sew many clothes any more - I like going to thrift shops to see what I can find there. It's cheaper than buying the fabrics and pattern and taking the time to sew it. LOL!

I must have missed something? How did Shannon win the Moo-N over book? I was sent a copy when I was FGOTM in August.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  3:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I spent the afternoon going through stuff in the sewing room. I found some things I had not seen since we moved here almost 25 years ago.Fun. It is difficult to toss, because I might need that later, I did toss some stuff and I put things that are similar together. Get it together, label, then find and use rather than buying more. Right. Not tossing something today means I must revisit it later...oh well. Tomorrow afternoon I should have a bunch of empty boxes and other things to send to the burn pile. Hopefully it will rain enough this weekend so my son can burn.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  3:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA - I just learned I won the book... so I have no clue how you knew so fast! Thank you for the congrats!

Linda - I won it be entering the giveaway on Mary Jane's blog. She had a bunch of giveaways!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  4:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, Congrats on winning the book. I won one of the others. "Do Unto Animals" looking forward to reading it!

I can't wait to be able to get into my craft room/closet and clean out in there. I have an old Singer sewing machine, exact same model as my mom's which I now own, to get rid of. Lots of things are going out of there. Can't get to it until the room is unoccupied though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 16 2016 4:20:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, Linda collects sewing machines.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  7:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise - what kind of sewing machine is it? PM me. I DO collect sewing machines - at least I have 21 of them so far, plus a couple toy ones.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - February 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page