Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  8:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom just gave me this! My granny pieced and quilted it all by hand! I had never seen this one before. What makes it soooooooo special is, that all the fabric was scraps from dresses that my granny made for me and my aunts when we were in Elementary school. I cried like a baby! Seeing the fabric brought back the memory of every dress! I just kept running my hands over it and thought about her little hands with that simple gold wedding band on her finger, stitching till her eyes were tired. My Granny passed away in 2005 at the age of 89 and her 4 daughters inherited all her quilts. There were about 20 in her cedar chests. She,and her mother and sisters quilted all their life. I already had 2 that my Granny gave me when I married. She gave all the girls quilts when they married and I can't ever remember a time in my childhood that she wasn't quilting. I just had to share it with ya'll.
Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YOU ARE TRULY BLESSED WITH SUCH A TREASURE.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  8:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn! Blessed! is exactly how I feel!!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....33392
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  9:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so special. Lovely quilt Connie.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  05:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, this is a beautiful and sweet treasure to inherit from your Granny!! I am so happy that it now lives in your home. Enjoy all the memories and love!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie what an awesome blessing to have such an heirloom. Our grandmothers sure knew how to keep from having idle hands.
It is beautiful and for it have been pieced and quilted by hand, there is love in every single stitch!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  10:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is so beautiful, Connie! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I have a grandmothers flower garden quilt that was on my great-grandmothers bed for as long as I can remember. it is threadbare in numerous places. I'm trying to figure out something I can do with it, to make something That I can wear or display or both. I'd hate to cut it up, but that may be the only way to be able to enjoy it. I'm thinking maybe pillows, a wall hanging, or a summer table runner. I'd like to make something for my 2 brothers and my sister too. What do you think? Should I cut it up or save it as is?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  1:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much! I hung it over Lily June's crib for today. It reminds me of my Granny tying my sash before I went out the door to school, that was when little girls work sashes a lot, until we were in 6th grade!
Linda, It is a hard choice. I have friends who made Christmas Stockings and Pillows to preserve the memory of the quilt and I love both those ideas! You know how I love your table runners!

Denise, Yes! they did. My Granny use to say that quote, "An idle mind is the devil's playground! It's why I have a hard time resting the rare times I can, there is always something to be done!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  3:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, what a lovely family heirloom! Such a treasure full of memories! Thank you so much for sharing pictures!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  3:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful gift and wonderful memories. Thank You Connie for sharing with us.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, That is such a beautiful quilt and you have beautiful memories to go along with it! What a treasure! I am excited for you!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know - our grandmothers were never idle. They were wonder women.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a yard sale Monday afternoon. I know that is a weird day for a yard sale, but this one has been in progress for almost two weeks.There was an old picnic hamper or basket sitting on a flat trailer, among glass ware, books, etc. I lifted the lid...Oh my, there sat an old box that was falling apart and inside were snippets of fabric. $3 later it was in my car. I waited for my husband to come home to open it and really examine the contents. The reason... It reminded me of his grandmother's scrap box that she shared with me, so I could make my first quilt fifty three years ago. I know a lot about her that he doesn't know because I spent so much time with her. I say she finished raising me, I was 18 when we married.
Also in the basket are fabrics, solids to cut quilt blocks from, two ufo pot holders and enough 4x4 blocks to make each grand daughter a quilt. The catch...the fabric squares are cut from 1930s and 1940s fabrics.Goldmine.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  7:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, Marilyn! That's some find for $3.00!!!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  10:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn and Connie, what special stories. I relate to those because my husbands grandmother made a Grandmother's flower garden quilt top she pieced on the sewing machine! His aunt wanted me to hand quilt the top. It was such fun to sit with her picture in front of me and quilt those little hexagons. That was over 15 years ago. Last summer his aunt gave us the quilt. Talk about tears. She talked about the fabrics being dresses and aprons. It's so good to have treasures! I love your quilt Connie.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  10:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my grandmother passed away, maybe 20 years after, my mother and I went to her old house and it was amazing. It was so small compared to my memories, but oh the treasures we found. My mother cried, but I was so excited to find the needlework. Then mother said, let's look in here, a big wooden box. Twenty one quilt tops, all pieced on her treddle machine. Only one had been made for a special person, my sister. I was allowed to choose one, which my mother quilted for me. She then started contacting the other grand children to see if they were interested. Sadly my sister had no idea what became of her most special quilt only five years after mother gave it to her. I admire my grandmother so much. Some of her quilt pieces are made from tiny slivers of fabric pieced together to get enough to cut out her shapes. White fabric must have been especially hard to come by. I treasure my quilts, especially the handmade ones.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  05:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that was one cool find for $3!! What a treasure trove of vintage fabrics. You have to show us the quilts you made after they are finished. I would love to see those fabric squares from vintage prints.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  05:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, It will be my summer project.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn! Sounds like my Granny and yours were kindred Spirits! And what a find! and my Granny did the same thing, she saved every scrap!! I know that's where I get hating to throw anything useful out. So many generations have become so wasteful and throw away!

Happy St. Patrick's day!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a box that came from my Granny's Sister's home, Mattie Lee when she passed away. My granny gave it to me. There are only about 2 people in my family who care about vintage and family things and 1 of those is me! She won the ribbon for a child's yoyo jacket. When I was in Jr. high, one of my friends made a YoYo Maxi skirt in Home-Ec. It was beautiful!!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  09:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, warms my heart to see the box! What a family treasure! Thank you for sharing!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  10:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, my Mom made a tiny yo-yo bedspread for a single bed and my oldest sister has it in her spare bedroom. I can't imagine how long it took to make so many of the tiny yo-yos! I love that you have this additional treasure from the family as well as your quilt. Some of us are just sentimental about these sorts of things. My middle sister could care less, but I love all the hand sewn things I got from my mom and a few from my grandmother.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Victorian house in Granbury, Texas, one of several on the Christmas Home Tour. The story goes that around 1900, the mother and her daughter's began crocheting Granny Squares using strips torn from old clothing and linens. The squares were about eight inches across. They sewed them together and made a carpet, wall to wall for that bedroom. Of course no one could touch, but everyone admired it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6097 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6097 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest daughter got into making yo yo's and we had them all over the place for a long time and she sewed them together and then stopped. It was fun but a lot of work. I might try that again someday.

That is a pretty jacket!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie - so nice you have things of your Granny's crafting skills. My sister is not interested in anything my grandmother or mother "stitched", but I am. I have a crocheted tablecloth (pineapple pattern) that my grandmother made for my mother when she was married to my father. I also have several of my mother's stitched items - 3 pieced quilt tops (that I had quilted and need to bind), a quilt of her aunts that she quilted, 2 pairs of pillowcases that my mother embroidered, several cross-stitch, needlepoint, and embroidered samplers and framed pictures, and 2 tablecloths that she embroidered.

I've done yoyos and have a pillow cover made from yoyos (that I didn't make), but haven't yet made a quilt top out of them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  5:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an incredible keepsake!!!! I can see why you are speechless!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic I'm Speechless!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page