Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - January 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 9

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - did you get flurries? My cousin is in Florida - about an hour from Fort Walton Beach - and got some around 8 last night!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  09:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Hens pictures! We don't have any of our own, but Hen sit for our Neighbors every year when they go home to New York!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  6:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping the storm let's up by tomorrow . My girls do not appreciate being shut in one bit. They told me all about it when I went to check on them and collect the eggs today.
This wind is really wicked.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  6:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not like wind. In the winter the south wind is almost as cold as the north wind.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  05:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon,I didn't see any flurries at my house but my daughter and good friend had them at their house!! Snow flurries are a big deal down here and I wish I had been able to see them as well!! Yesterday, I made a fire in the fireplace and knitted and read a book all afternoon. It was AWESOME!!

My poor 76 year old sister who is widowed lives just a few miles outside of Washington DC and she was getting dumped on big time yesterday. At least she had power to keep warm but trying to dig out a path for the dog to go outside for potty breaks was difficult. I am hoping a few of the teen boys that live next door will come over to shovel her out. This is the first big snow since her husband passed and my brother and I have been really worried how she will manage. Yesterday she seemed fine and slightly amused at it all but I know it will be a problem to get her driveway cleared and walkway to the front door without lots of help. I am praying for the helpful spirit of her neighbors in her time of need because she is not going to ask anyone.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  05:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope someone will come to her rescue. When we have bad weather here the tv stations will remind folks to bring their delicate plants inside, as well as pets and remember to check on your elderly neighbors and family. Maybe, hopefully someone will remember. We also have meals on wheels, they do not deliver in bad conditions but use the phone to check in, then as soon as possible they deliver a meal and if help is needed, they sound the alert.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  07:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about the winds, Marilyn. It is snowy and cold up here in Michigan right now - have to bundle up.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
A friend of mine in Md said they got 20 inches. We ended up with about 12 inches here.
Opened the door to the coop this morning, the girls peeked out and decided it wasn't for them today.
Hanging out by the fire working on some knitting while the game is on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  4:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at snow measurements and Delaware got over 23inches I think.
It is cold out there.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  6:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they sure did Darlene. Now we are all shoveling our way out. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  6:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You gals on the east coast please stay WARM! Here in Michigan where I've been the past 1-1/2 weeks they have gotten over 12 inches, but most of it before we got here. Snow is expected every day this week.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  8:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Linda, are you freezing? We were cold all weekend with wind. Now we start our rollercoaster ride again...up, down, up down. My allergies are acting up after the north wind blew through.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  03:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I finally got a chance to check in! We got almost two feet of snow and boy, was that wind scary! But we all seem to have come through ok. I was mostly worried about power outages even though I have a generator. It's in my garage which is a bit of a trudge from my house in a blinding snowstorm! Luckily, we didn't lose power, although there were outages all around us. I had to be at my daughter's by 6:00 this morning so she could go to work. They did a really great job cleaning up the roads. I did get a chance to do some Valentine making and finish a dish cloth for a swap, so that was nice. I love hearing about all the chickens. I don't have any myself, but Lily and I visit them at a nearby farm every week and they are so nice. I love the sounds they make! Shannon, how did your hubby make out? Denise, are you dug out yet?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  04:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Amy that is a lot of snow. I am glad you survived the winds and did not lose power. I once read a series of books about the early settlers in Minnesota, who tied a rope from their door to the barn which was very close, so they would not get lost in a blizzard.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  05:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My allergies haven't been rearing their heads this year - so far. It is cold here, but not uncomfortably so. My men's farm coat is keeping me warm. They are good about clearing off the roads here, and Ed is a good driver, but they use salt, so need to wash off my car so it doesn't rust like all the cars up here. LOL!

Amy - having a rope to guide you sounds like a great idea, but may be too far from your house to the garage.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad FINALLY made it there around 4 yesterday afternoon! He said the bigger interstates were not bad at all, while the smaller roads in some areas were definitely a different story.

Amy - glad you never lost electric! My sister on the Eastern Shore of MD got about 2 ft of snow, where as my sister up in Gettysburg PA got about 3 feet. My inlaws in Hagerstown MD got close to three. Lots of snow :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  06:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some deep snowbanks with 2 and three feet of snow!

Amy~ Saturday the guys went out and shoveled the driveway. Then of course they had to go out and see how the roads were. Took them a long time. I think they are not homebodies! Anyway they didn't have any trouble but there were lots of places that were one lane. Yesterday they went back out to shovel where the snow had drifted and to shovel the end of the drive where the snowplow had gone past a few times. My BIL went out and said there were drifts where there weren't any snow fences up. So this morning everyone is back to work. We did not lose power either. The hens still don't want out of the coop. I think if we shoveled some of the snow away from the door so they could see grass they might venture out but they aren't coming out yet. We crack the window so they can get fresh air while not making it too cold for them. When we went out this morning we found one little egg out there. I think one of the girls has decided to start laying again. Either that or one is getting ready to stop but they are too young for that yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Texas our winter temps sometimes go into the lower teens, but it is not a frequent thing. Soooo when we built our chicken pens, we used 4" x 4" cattle panels. They are 5' wide and 20' long. We hoop them, zip tie them to each other, tied to fence posts set in the ground. So four panels gives us a pen that is about nine feet wide by twenty ft. Long. I then go around the bottom with chicken wire. We close the ends, leaving a gate. A tarp goes over the top to keep the rain out. In winter I put tarps over the ends as wind breaks. When we get those really cold nights I provide a screen, inside around the roosting area, and put fleece blankets over it. We have had success this way for five winters. Ice, rain, snow. If the ice begins to get thick, we can knock it loose and let it slide off. Thankfully only once.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, we have snakes in the summer. Bird netting around the pens really helps. I got nine snakes year before last, several were copper heads.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  1:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy Denise NJ got battered by the ocean, but it always does I think. I was there years ago after a storm and the storm tore out the sand making shallow places dangerous then.

Shannon I am so glad Brad got there safely, and that Aly is feeling a little better. It is more stressful when your alone with it.

Boy your storms have been really brutal. Marilyn your chicken coop sounds great for the little girls and fleece is really warm. I am glad you catching those snakes, Copperheads are scary.

Well keep warm and busy.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This storm did a number on the shore that they are saying is worse than the damage Hurricane Sandy did. I was just reading that we are in for another storm later this week but it will be farther north. Unfortunately we are still in the storms range. Probably not as bad for us though. We will see what happens.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls, just finished making noodles, they are hanging on my wooden clothes rack to dry. Does anyone else make homemade noodles? Today is the day we were planning on leaving for out trip for Texas, but Oliver ended up having some issues this last weekend and had to be taken by ambulance to the city. He came home yesterday and although he is doing better we just don't feel it would be wise to be so far from home for 2 weeks, so we canceled our plans. Both Sherry and I are disappointed that we don't get to see each other but family comes first.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Julie, I'm sorry Oliver is having problems and you had to cancel your planned trip. After he is all better, perhaps you can reschedule.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear Oliver is having problems, and you had to cancel your Texas trip. But it is probably best to stay close and reschedule your trip. Maybe next trip I can meet up with you somewhere close to Sherry.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about your canceled or maybe postponed(?) trip. You are right though family needs to come first. Will be praying for Oliver.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page