Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - January 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 9

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning everyone,
After having the granddaughters all week ,they will be going home after school so it is a day of catching up on bedding and cleaning up the guest rooms. Oliver came home yesterday, much to soon if you ask me but insurance always has the final say. He had some complications during surgery so is in more pain than normal. If anyone is interested I am doing a mug rug swap on the big forum. Thought we needed a quick, fun sewing swap. It is actually warming up here a bit, 30 by the weekend I might have to go ice fishing for a few days although I have lots of outside chores to get done before we leave as well. Denise, I can feed my chickens by hand and they love it when they get picked up and cuddled. The grandkids love holding them. They are great entertainment. Have a great day everyone.

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gotten them to where they aren't spooked and scatter when I pet them. I just need to spend more time with them. I am not the only one who cares for them but they aren't afraid of any of us anymore. My brother in law seems to enjoy doing some of the chores since he is here. I think it will wear off after awhile.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 21 2016 09:59:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also need to spend more time with my girls, but it is a bit cold right now. I need to rework the roosting situation on one side of my big hoop. Big girls get pretty heavy and sags happen. How many hens do y'all keep? Some of mine are four years old, but still lay now and then. I have a colorful crew of different breeds. This last fall one of our colored egg layers got out and chose to live in an old Garage where she hatched seven chicks. Believe it or not she has seven of her own breed and all are pullets. God was looking out for us on that one. It is so hard to go in the feed stores in the spring and not buy fluffy little chicks. But the feed Bill tells me..... NO.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  08:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have a small flock of 14. We started out with 24 but we were having trouble with a fox and so now we just have these. We try keep them safe and only let them out when we are out during the day. The fox problem was only because JT would forget to shut thhe girls back up again and they would get out early in the morning and that is when mr. fox was out.

I sent my son to go get feed some bales, a heat lamp and a heated waterer for them. I don't know what is coming with this storm but I want them to stay warm and fed. The roof of their coop has openings under the eaves and I know the wind can blow through there so we are doing what we can. In the Spring we will have to cover that up if possible.

I went up and pulled out some yarn and knitting needles so I can get some of that done while we are stuck inside. I saw on the NOAA weather map that we could be in for anywhere from 6"-24" . Not a lot when all is said and done but winds gusts up to 77 mph can really make that stuff drift. Tomorrow is supposed to be the worst.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  09:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got 1 inch of snow and no ice! They were predicting much worse storm for us! Praying for those who did get a lot of snow to be warm and safe!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 22 2016 11:50:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  11:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie - how pretty! My kids are so excited, as we may actually get to see some snowflakes falling tomorrow morning. They will not stick, but it will be simply glorious to see them fall! They are predicting a couple feet still for where my hubby is headed this weekend :/ Most of it will be coming tonight, it looks like.

Denise - sound like you are spending the day quite perfectly! Warm, cozy, and being productive with much loved winter-time crafting. I dream of doing that one day!!! I have visions of during the winer months taking care of the critters, then curling up in a chair and crafting. Perhaps I am crazy, but I long for that simplicity!

I miss my chickens! That will probably be the first critters we get after moving.... laying chickens! I think I want around 30 or 40. My crew can go through two dozen eggs in a day!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  12:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, Right now we are getting around 6-7 a day. We will be getting more chicks come Springtime though.

Connie, I imagine we could end up with only an inch or two but they usually aren't that far off in our predictions. Such a pretty picture!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  1:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, thanks for the picture. So lovely! I do love the 4 seasons. Each has its beauty!

My "Girls" say hello!

Denise, we get about 4 eggs a day and we have 8 chickens. Sometimes we get 8 eggs. Charles, the white one, is the oldest. She's approximatly 3 years old. She is the only one left from our first batch. We have none left from the second batch, and the rest is from batch 3 and 4. I too will be getting more chicks this spring. I'm thinking of getting some Ameraucana breed. Some blue eggs would be fun. I need to research how this would do in our climate. We do heat the coop when the weather is cold.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 22 2016 1:03:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
What a pretty flock of girls. I was trying to get a good picture but as soon as I went out they all came right up to me so it was difficult. Lol. I am going to do some researching before we get more to see what else I'd like to get. We had two reds but we lost one. The red one here we call Sophie. She is kind of the boss in the flock. They all follow her around.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had Easter Eggers... are they the same as Americauna? Anyways, we were getting blue and green eggs from them. We also had austrolorps - loved their big brown eggs!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  3:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We started out with austrolorps Shannon. I think I like these better. I think I'd like to get some blue eggs. Not sure if my customers would want them though so maybe just a few hens for those. I just really enjoy how friendly these are. They are about 2 1/2 years old now. My dad said they can live to be 14, some of them. He was a chicken farmer when I was growing up. We had a lot of hens, somewhere around 150. I sure didn't care for them when I was a kid because we had to pluck them when it was butchering time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  3:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a lot of problems with our hens that lay green eggs.last year we lost seven of the nine my husband purchased. They seemed to have trouble laying eggs. The two we have left are busy. I hope the seven pullets will be healthy and survive. We have about 40 hens, the pulleys, then my husband has a pen of Nankn bantams. The little tipsters are beautiful and mean. The little hens are sweet. Thomas Jefferson raised Nankins.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  3:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

We have had a lot of problems with our hens that lay green eggs.last year we lost seven of the nine my husband purchased. They seemed to have trouble laying eggs. The two we have left are busy. I hope the seven pullets will be healthy and survive. We have about 40 hens, the pullets, then my husband has a pen of Nankn bantams. The little roosters are beautiful and mean. The little hens are sweet. Thomas Jefferson raised Nankins.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what kind do you have now Denise? still australorps?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are Black Sex Link, Shannon.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  6:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 9 girls in my coop. 5 buff orpingtons and 4 red sex link. I get 6 or 7 eggs a day. I would be really worried if I got 9 since one of the buffs is a rooster. Roosevelt is the friendliest roo I have ever seen, loves to be picked up. I am setting a couple of the buffs who tend to be broody this spring and will get some more Cornish crosses for butchering. I had some last year but let them go to long (6 weeks) and ended up with 8 lb. dressed birds. I will butcher them at 4 weeks this year.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  7:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your pretty chickens Denise.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  8:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely hens Denise! Thank you for sharing a picture.

Came home today to find I was losing one of my girls. I think she missed judge her landing capability and hit the wall or something. It does't make sense. They were all so healthy and bouncy this morning when I took the picture. Upon returning from work,I opened the door and find one of my youngest hens lying on the floor, unable to get up, eyes closed and alive. I think she then had a heart attack caused from her accident. It ain't easing being a farmgirl on an emotional and physical level. Sigh!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  12:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely LOVE chickens. Don't have any now but my neighbor does. I envy all of you chicken moms.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  04:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness Carole. I hope you are able to save her. We clip a wing on each girl to avoid them getting hurt.

Wondering how Amy is faring this morning. We have about 6 inches on the ground right now and it is just tiny flakes coming down now. They extended the blizzard warning into Sunday morning. Shoveling has begun. Guys shoveled a path and space for the dogs to go. Another one to the wood furnace.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 23 2016 04:38:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  05:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Praying for everyone in the snow's path :) My children are bouncing off the walls right now - we are actually seeing snow fall right now :) Of course it is not sticking to the ground, but it is absolutely lovely!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  05:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry about your hens, Carole. Hope you can save them all.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  05:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love, love , love all these chicken photos!! I am like Bonnie and envy all you chicken moms! There are so many breeds and pretty eggs. It must be a huge blessing to have a constant supply of fresh eggs to enjoy and cook delicious things with!

We won't be having any snow but it is only going to be in the 40s today!! BRRRR for us, but we have a fireplace and will enjoy a nice fire to sit by today! Those of you with bad weather, i hope you don't lose power. Stay safe!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  07:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie if the power goes out here it won't be a heating problem because we have the wood stove in the family room. We have tons of oil lamps and if it is off for too long we start up the generator. The chickens won't have the heat lamp or the heater for their water though. I also use the wood stove for cooking in that situation.

Hoping those that don't have this option won't lose power.
They put NJ in a state of emergency and they are asking people to stay off the roads. Plows are out but they said it is for emergency vehicles in the event they need to go out.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 23 2016 07:58:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  07:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched a video clip on the weather conditions, not pretty. Lots of casualties! Seems there's a weather system hitting the gulf and working its way up, chances of severe weather like tornadoes etc .... Stay safe everyone! I'll be thinking about you all as I sit next to the wood stove warming up!

Brrrr .... baby it's cold outside!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 23 2016 08:17:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page