Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - January 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 9

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  04:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, sorry to hear about poor Oliver and your trip having to be cancelled. With lots of prayers and love maybe things will improve quickly for everyone. I'm sending you and Oliver lots of both. Marilyn, how many chickens do you have? The coop sounds really snug and safe. We have copperheadaround here, too. They must be everywhere. Scary! Denise, have your girls come outside yet? Can't wait to see you Saturday!

My brother was here for a visit, his birthday and my daughter's are Jan. 22 and 23. We had a birthday celebration and went out for a nice dinner. Lily absolutely loves him. He plays with her non-stop. I think she doesn't actually think he's a grown-up. The bad weather and all the birthday stuff upset my mom's routine a good bit and she was pretty confused. She kept mistaking my brother for my uncle, her brother. It makes me sad when she gets confused like that, but it's part of life, I guess. She'll be fine when things settle down. Sorry, I didn't mean to run on like that! Well, everybody have a safe and happy day:)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  06:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I am sorry to hear that your trip got cancelled and I hope Oliver will be on the mend soon. Take care!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  07:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice that you could spend birthdays together, Amy!
We have 5 in February. Two are on the Feb.2nd and one on the 3rd.
We always celebrate those together.
Yes, the girls have come out. They are free ranging today. Need eggs?
Look forward to seeing you.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  08:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Amy, I feel for you and your confused mother. My d-in-l' s mom is really confused. She refused to acknowledge that her own son was hers. He is an old man now. She did not know her baby daughter, my DIL, and referred to her as "that woman". She had lived in her travel trailer in their driveway for over three years and in the house with them for almost a year. Then she was sent to the older sister who also lives here. She would yell at my DIL for making too much noise when cooking supper. If they went to visit friends at night, coming in late she asked why they were in her house, and told them to get out. They flew back "home" with her in May. She became extremely confused and agitated. She accused "that woman" of dumping her husband off somewhere with no car or money. After her tirade of thirty minutes, "that woman" told her that her husband had been dead for four years and he was not left by the road. I really felt sorry for my DIL. She also hid her checks each month and accused them of stealing them. She said she did not want that little kid around her, referring to my 15 year old grand daughter who was her care giver this summer. It was sad and I actually feared for their safety, because she roamed at night. I have learned that sweet gentle people are usually still nice when the confusion takes over. My DIL says her mom was always mean to her husband and them, and her behavior( confused ) is the way she has always been.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alzheimers, dementia, confusion, or whatever else you want to call it is soon hard! I'll never forget it when my grandmother first started struggling with it... It was harder on her than the rest of us! She knew she was getting confused and forgetting things, and it frustrated and scared her! As it got worse, she didn't recognize any of us! She would chase us out of her house with a knife! My aunt (her daughter) was her POA and she didn't even recognize her. It was really hard as we all lived right there together... my parents had three acres in front of my grandmother's five acres which was next to my aunt's five acres. Anyways, I was privileged enough to still have her at my wedding, and she met part of my children. After going in the nursing home (she would wander down the road and leave empty pans on the stove!) she really stopped talking much. My parents would visit her every once in awhile after church and she always called my dad (her son) the preacher - which he wasn't! My younger sister actually had the most interesting relationship with her after her decline - she would argue right back with her! If she came at her with a knife, she would yell at my grandmother and tell her to put it down before she hurt herself. When my grandmother claimed there were people living in her tree (!?!?) my sister would tell her she was seeing things! When she didn't recognize my aunt, my sister would tell her that it was her daughter... my grandmother would argue and my sister would tell her to stop arguing and she was wrong. I don't know which method is better! As health care professionals, we were taught to try to assimilate an elderly confused person back to reality, but not to argue.... my sister argued and fought with her, but it usually worked! Or at least calmed her down.

I HATE copperheads! They are so bad down here! I would take a rattlesnake any day over a copperhead! At least the former lets you know it is there, whereas the copperheads hide, wait, and strike. Ugghhhh I just had shudders run down my back!!! When we had our chickens, we never had snakes!!!! The day after the chickens left ;'( we had a snake in the yard!!! I honestly think the chickens ate any others!!! It also helped that our dog was constantly out there and we moved the coop daily.

Julie - I am heartbroken to hear about Oliver! That poor little guy has been through so much in his short life! My 7 year old went through a lot in her first 2 years especially, but thankfully things have calmed down for her!!!! It is so hardtop see a little one (or big one) struggle and feel like your hands are tied! Though honestly with everything we went through with her it taught us to truly trust God in all things... she was tested for cancer twice, went hypotonic, had encephalitis and meningitis, and so much more... but God provided :) Now we just deal with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and possible celiacs... and the things those affect, such as her speech and motor skills.

Well I have been in quite a bad place mentally lately! Brad is gone still (school), I have no vehicle, and things here at the house are chaotic and just a mess. I have a tendency to put a lot on myself and then get down on myself. Working on that... and trying to crawl my way back out of the dark hole!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie
I hope Oliver gets to feeling better soon. Things will get better soon.

Shannon you all in my prayers for things to get better with your family and your grandmother.

Take care everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  3:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom had Alzheimer's for a short time before she passed away. It never got real bad. She knew everyone but she didn't know things like how many kids she had. One time when my brother went to visit her she wanted to know who that little girl was. I was not with her a lot as they lived 1800 miles away from us. But it was hard for my dad to see her that way because she had always been the strong one and took care of him and his physical ailments.
JT's paternal grandfather was pretty bad before he passed. He would leave the house in the middle of the night and be walking down Main St. Everyone knew them and grandma would usually realize he was gone fairly quickly. She suffered from bone cancer and when they got to the point where she couldn't physically handle him they went to live with their daughter. His maternal grandmother also suffered from it and I thought of her when Marilyn said about sweet, gentle people because she was and when she couldn't remember anymore she would get frustrated but didn't know why. It was very sad watching each of them have to go through that. I pray they will find a cure or something for that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  9:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for you all, take care!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny weather today. We had snow sprinkles this morning and then the sun was out bright, then the wind started really blowing and now it is overcast. Guess we are in an area where we are getting a little bit of everything. I heard there was an earthquake yesterday down the shore. But then I was reading they thought it was a sonic boom or something caused by testing on the ocean floor so I never did find out what it was really about. [:/]

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are having a bit of Texas weather. Ha ha!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Texas is looking better and better to us all the time Marilyn!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  6:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Texas is so big, well it is pretty diverse. I was born here and love it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw something on Facebook about a sonic boom, I didn't know they still had those things.

We had some earthquakes today 156 miles out in the ocean, no problem with them, I think they can just stop now.

Have a good evening.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy and I were able to get together today and it was fantastic meeting her. She is a very happy, upbeat gal and I enjoyed the entire time. She definitely embodies the farmgirl spirit! We talked and laughed and had such a good time. We are hoping to be able to do these gal get-togethers as often as we can.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 30 2016 4:06:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How fun.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  7:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh how fun for you two!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  8:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea for Denise and Amy! It's always fun to be with other farmgirls.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  12:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad Denise and Amy were able to get together! I am hoping to meet you both when we are up in the area in August or September!

Someone mentioned the sonic boom. Not sure if it happened elsewhere, but we experienced one here in Moncks Corner the other day... Or at least that is what they are assuming it was. I have never experienced anything like it! There was a loud noise and I swear the house shook and windows rattled. We had debated whether it was an earthquake! Apparently there was no sign of an earthquake, so they are assuming it was a sonic boom. Considering there is Beulah south of us, Joint Base Charleston right here, and Shaw Air Force Base a couple hours away, it makes sense... Basically it is from a plane (usually a military one as the civilian planes cannot go fast enough), going faster than the speed of sound. Scary nonsense is what it was! My dog came out in a huge hurry and the kids and I were prepared for another good shake if it was indeed an earthquake.

Brad made it home late Friday night. Bless his heart - he came home to a sick house! Do you remember how I was saying Aly was sick with a headache and fever? Well, my 12 year old Katie, my 4 yo Ben, and I all gave it now! I understood why she complained of her eyes hurting! The headache is in our foreheads and behind our eyes!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  04:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could your headaches be sinus related. Hadlee and I have both had allergies and sinus issues. I used up all of my RC in the diffuser, it was amazing. Now I am using two drops of Purification and four drops of Theives. It also helps.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon, So sorry you are all feeling bad. When I get that hot behind the eyes it is usually a touch of the flu.
Praying you all can get the rest you need and no one else gets it. Glad to hear Brad is home safe and sound though.

We did get a photo of Amy and I. We went to have brunch and then we went to do a little antiquing. We had a great find that you will see in the picture.
There was a woman there kind enough to take a shot with Amy's phone. I'm sure she will post the photo first chance she gets.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, So glad you and Amy got to have a Farm Sister day!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  10:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay for Farmgirl meeting day!! How fortunate you two were to be able to meet and have a bit of fun together. I wish we all lived closer to more of each other so we could visit and share.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be fantastic Winnie! Whenever we do some traveling I am going to take a cue from Shannon and do some farm girl visiting.
I can't believe January is over already.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  04:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the photo of Denise and me:

We had such a good time! It's amazing how much we have in common. We did some bargain hunting and I bought the adorable cow milk pitcher I'm holding. Denise is heart and soul a Farmgirl and I can't wait until we can get together again. It was the best day!

Thank you all for the kind words and compassion for my mom. Her dementia is mild, especially for almost 94, but it's still painful to watch. I'm just so glad we moved her in when we did! Denise and I talked a lot about living with and caring for aging parents. It's what I would call a challenging blessing. Even though I have quite a bit of training in this area, it all goes out the window when it's your own mother or father. But she has lots of good days, so that's what I should focus on.

Lily spent the night the day Denise and I met. It's the first time she slept with me, and she stayed up until almost midnight asking questions and then hogged the whole bed. I'm still recovering! She loved the new cow milk pitcher. I've got her convinced it turns milk into chocolate milk!

Shannon, I'm glad your hubby is home. Are you feeling better? I'm so glad we might get to meet!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  05:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great photo of your two!! I love that you were able to have some time to connect and have fun. Each time I have had the pleasure of meeting another Farmgirl, it has been such a blessing!! It is amazing how much we have in common though our MJF connection. It is true that like minds seem to gravitate together and we have so much sharing and conversation together that it feels like we "know" someone" even if we are meeting them for the first time. If I could, I wold pack up my car and head head north and west and spend maybe a year just visiting all of the Farmgirls I possibly could. Can you imagine how much fun such a trip would be? What a way to see the USA!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page